Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics 4-2-3-1 straight forward stuff

So after my last tactic I decided to try something a little different and more orthodox, some might say a little boring.

My idea was not to have lots of player types just try and keep things straight forward and simple. 1xGK 2xFB 2xCB 2xCM 1xAM 2xIF 1xAF, see keep it simple  have players work the roles they play. 

I like to play attacking football, but this had its draw backs on the defence as it leaves things more open, so to counter the attacking stance I play narrow to allow my players the ability to pass to each other without being over stretched, keep it normal in pace and creative freedom, I don’t want them to overstretch themselves and do things that might loose the ball  one reason why I went for run at defenders and work the ball into the box (I did start working with shoot on site but found work into box I got far more shots on target). And finally my defect I chose balanced as I found if it was a high line anyone with pace would leave the defenders for dust so having it balanced I’d have my center backs being able to run onto the ball to clear. I chose CM as I wanted my midfield to do a variety of things and strike the right balance of bossing the middle of the park. The only exciting roles I’d say is using the AM and IF as I have a single striker and want them to support him and the AF role as I wanted the striker to be less selfish than a poacher and more mobile than a target man, I did consider the CF role but I wouldn’t have luxury players to play that role well. So AF ticked the box and also mimicked me as a player in my days.

That was the idea, keep it straight forward and improve over time. So to test this it was off to Dorking in the English Vanorrama South (the smallest, poorest, crappies facilities and no money team I could find) Why? Well if your going to develop a tactic having the best players to hand isn’t going to really deliver the results is it.

I was suppressed as with no signings and just the team they had I won the league in the first season, I was then offered the job at Port Vale in league 2, took it and they were in a terrible state, I sold the whole team and brought a new team of free agents in, they were bottom when I took over and we won the league in my first season as well, I was then offered the job with Newcastle in the championship, again a full rebuilding job selling all the players and bringing in my own at least this time I had a small budget, won promotion to the prem in my first season and had a league cup final trip as well. In my first season in the premier I finished 7th with the same team that took me up. England came calling so it gave me a chance to try this out with some of the best players at my disposal, won all the international trophies on offer so I wanted to go back to club management so left England and went to Southampton who were bottom of the league, had to do again a new rebuilding job, I decided to only bring in players under 25 for this job, found some players from all over the world with the budget given, I finished 5 after talking over when they were bottom after 19 games. Next season, same players I won everything on offer. So I would now consider this a exhaustive test on the tactic.

Now I normally leave things as they are but sometimes you might come up against a certain team that defends and you can’t do anything, here I may go overload or I may go control / fast depending on my possession rate, some teams I may get overrun by so I may go overload or go defend depending on their midfield. But in the most part it’s plug and play. But as with most of FMM it’s about managing your matches now so defend when 2 or more up. In my building of this tactic I had a game prior to doing a full test I had a real issue with Liverpool’s pace so set it to deep defensive line and slow / counter style football, I won 7-0 but that only worked for Liverpool that one time. It’s a funny old game.

Anyway you still here? Better have the tactic then. Thanks for reading and hope it helps you out or provides an enjoyable career.

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0216.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

*Mistake in Position. make sure the AP is actually an AM I found that I uploaded an older screenshot and actually the AM cause much more shots and creativity. AP works just not as well as an AM. Soz.

Edited by JonnyLove
Mistake in AM/AP position
12 minutes ago, KG4 said:

Brilliant post mate love the analysis behind it. Was this with the winter update or prior to that?

With the latest update.

Great post ! Thank you for sharing. Cms keep ball and a great for shortpasing. Did you test it out or did you stick with mixed? My Newcastle tactic is close to yours . I will try out your idea for the anoying games of the overpowered Liverpool 

1 hour ago, AndersJ said:

Great post ! Thank you for sharing. Cms keep ball and a great for shortpasing. Did you test it out or did you stick with mixed? My Newcastle tactic is close to yours . I will try out your idea for the anoying games of the overpowered Liverpool 

I did try short but with Dorkings players being so terrible I stuck with mixed as it opened up the attack a little better. Also used the post match feedback to find out what to adjust which helped.

2 hours ago, AndersJ said:

My Newcastle side are lethal in a 4-3-3 from here. Leading the Premier League 🔥

2 hours ago, supersub said:

Can you share fixture result ? Thx

Sadly not I didn’t bother to save those during my testing. I just found this to work for all the teams I played with and though’t id share

6 hours ago, Schwantz34 said:

Struggling in the Bundesliga with Hannover. Languishing in the bottom half.

I played this with a few sides,found it to be a pretty good plug in tactic,does struggle to score at times. You have to have a AM not AP,just in case you missed that note. How did it work in D2 the first season? Found you have to tinker a bit between attack,control and balanced. Wish I had more for you,been awhile,maybe author will. 

10 minutes ago, JgRoller said:

I played this with a few sides,found it to be a pretty good plug in tactic,does struggle to score at times. You have to have a AM not AP,just in case you missed that note. How did it work in D2 the first season? Found you have to tinker a bit between attack,control and balanced. Wish I had more for you,been awhile,maybe author will. 

Used a different tactic the first season. Played around with this one a bit so far and was still languishing. Changed to a bit of an unorthodox one from here and starting to pick up wins.

this is really a good post. I haven't seen the formation designed of 4231 for a long time. 

ths so much  I can try it tonight. Is there any problem with this for the weak brigade?

5 hours ago, CHICKLLEEE said:

this is really a good post. I haven't seen the formation designed of 4231 for a long time. 

ths so much  I can try it tonight. Is there any problem with this for the weak brigade?

Just have to try it and see. It's the only way really.

Unsure why it's not working for you @Schwantz34 It def needs the AM not the AP. I have taken a Dorking side from bottom of the VNS to playing champions league (this is basically the worst team in the English league for money, facilities and people wanting to come), with the tactic. I did have to find some freebies to do this and it still works for me now.

I also had a undefeated season with Barcelona which was a shock.

Anyway things I found when results weren't going my way. (I had a 10 game loosing streak with Dorking in my 3rd season). I changed my GK to try and get the best I could on a free and for the wages and this shored up my defence allot. I tended to conceded to many before hand. Then it was just finding the right players for the roles. I did try and find players with high team work and leadership that certainly helped things along

But I found looking at the shots taken / on target and my possession were the biggest give away on what I should do with my tactics.

If i had low possession and high shots, id go overload. If i had low shots but high possession i'd try defend if that didn't work i'd go from narrow to balanced which seamed to help

If i was getting low shots and low posession i'd give up and go control.

This is getting my career to the finish. I'm in 2046 and was struggling in the Eredivisie while my players were definitely good enough.

Now cruising with this, sometimes switching to a more classic 4-3-3. Also noticed that the AM scores quite a lot if you put a retrained forward or inside forward there. My striker however not that much compared to my IF's.

Finished first season with Newcastle 4th and won carabao Cup. Noticed how the goals seem to be shared among the attacking players and not down to one striker. Fantastic tactic going into second season with high hopes. 

Screenshot_20200401_175609_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175621_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175657_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175701_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175739_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175744_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Edited by StueyBTRFC
Had my full name on
On 03/04/2020 at 07:51, StueyBTRFC said:

Finished first season with Newcastle 4th and won carabao Cup. Noticed how the goals seem to be shared among the attacking players and not down to one striker. Fantastic tactic going into second season with high hopes. 

Screenshot_20200401_175609_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175621_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175657_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175701_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175739_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Screenshot_20200401_175744_com.sega.soccer.jpg

I really appriciate your kind words on this. Glad its worked well for you as well, hope the second season is even better.

Hello mate,

Many thanks for sharing this tactic. I really love it as it uses an AM. 

But I keep struggling in PL. Could you give me an hand please? 

Here's my story. Started with Leeds in CH and the first season everything was smooth (1st, 100pts). I was playing a 3-5-2 which also gave me a lot of success with Wolves in another party.

On my 2nd season, I started struggling with my 3-5-2 and my board signed Helder Costa (IF) without asking me. So it gave me a good opportunity to change. I also signed, Reiner (18y AM), Aruzo (17y P), Buur (WBR), Henry (WBL), Armini (CB loan) & Moro (DLP). I really want to give these kids a chance but unfortunately things didnt go as well as expected.

Most of my games I have possession (>55%) and a lot of shots but I just can't score... Do you have any idea where it could come from?

Arezo has shitty leadership, maybe it comes from here too?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Ps : sorry for my English mistakes, haven't practice in a while.

B1049062-3BD2-422E-A570-F546B24CD738.png

062F1511-6E13-4511-B4B9-2D5309F95B8E.png

61A144B5-9525-4C36-90B4-5ECB0313BA2D.png

6247091D-5ABA-42D2-BD87-CB99B0381C90.png

4BDC8CC2-D9E7-494A-B6CC-90F8901B4AE5.png

Edited by w1llyyY
On 08/04/2020 at 13:17, w1llyyY said:

Hello mate,

Many thanks for sharing this tactic. I really love it as it uses an AM. 

But I keep struggling in PL. Could you give me an hand please? 

Here's my story. Started with Leeds in CH and the first season everything was smooth (1st, 100pts). I was playing a 3-5-2 which also gave me a lot of success with Wolves in another party.

On my 2nd season, I started struggling with my 3-5-2 and my board signed Helder Costa (IF) without asking me. So it gave me a good opportunity to change. I also signed, Reiner (18y AM), Aruzo (17y P), Buur (WBR), Henry (WBL), Armini (CB loan) & Moro (DLP). I really want to give these kids a chance but unfortunately things didnt go as well as expected.

Most of my games I have possession (>55%) and a lot of shots but I just can't score... Do you have any idea where it could come from?

Arezo has shitty leadership, maybe it comes from here too?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Ps : sorry for my English mistakes, haven't practice in a while.

B1049062-3BD2-422E-A570-F546B24CD738.png

062F1511-6E13-4511-B4B9-2D5309F95B8E.png

61A144B5-9525-4C36-90B4-5ECB0313BA2D.png

6247091D-5ABA-42D2-BD87-CB99B0381C90.png

4BDC8CC2-D9E7-494A-B6CC-90F8901B4AE5.png

I too have a new save with Arezo not sure about him personally (48 games played only 27 goals not really setting the world on fire but then he is only 18 now).

I would take a look at your game stats. Either go Defensive or Overload during the game. Depends on your shots on target / possesion stats. if lots of posession then go overload then once you have a goal go devensive. some teams play so defensivly its hard to break them down without playing with the team mentality. 

Yeah, he is such an interrogation... 39 games, 16 goals & still a 5 stars potential at 19yrs old. He is learning very slowly. Do you use him as a poacher or an AF?

Thanks for your advices, will try them :)
My second season in PL went much better with a 4th place behind Chelsea. 

49DAEC08-2A0F-49CF-AF9D-7FC1D884A121.png

1 hour ago, w1llyyY said:

Yeah, he is such an interrogation... 39 games, 16 goals & still a 5 stars potential at 19yrs old. He is learning very slowly. Do you use him as a poacher or an AF?

As he has 3 in 3 for Uraguay I would look to see how they’re playing him. It is a little premature and possible over-analyitical but if he continues to play well on the international stage, see how they enable him and how he scores his goals there. This will only be necessary if you have good depth and a flexible side.

12 hours ago, w1llyyY said:

As per the tactic I use him as an AF will see what he's like come 22

10 hours ago, Walsherino04 said:

Would it do any harm to have a BWM and BBM instead of two CMs? (apart from having the BBM tiring himself out)

I tried this and it didn't bring me results, this is why I ended up going with 2 CMs in the end.

On 07/04/2020 at 14:27, JonnyLove said:

I really appriciate your kind words on this. Glad its worked well for you as well, hope the second season is even better.

Still fantastic tactic second season, improved on last. Looking forward to a long career at Newcastle. 

Screenshot_20200421_094710_com.sega.soccer.jpg