Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Guardiola 17/18 with Blackburn Rovers (2-3-2-2-1)

1 hour ago, LFCMO_11 said:

@Dagion

Interesting developments mate. Do you plan on replacing the wingers?

Not sure, the combination of a SK and losing my wingers seems a little bit difficult to overcome. That, combined with the retraining of the IWB's to ML/MR is nudging me towards a more traditional 3-5-2. Maybe I'll find some replacements, still in summer window.

If you’re enjoying a 352, and you’re looking to ‘tinker’ with the tactic, may I humbly recommend the 3142 and 31411.

For the first variant, just moving a midfielder to the DM slot both:

- helped defensively with teams who play with an AMC (as their playmaker has less space  + meant my central DC wasn’t pulled out of position) 

- helped offensively with teams who play without a AMC, as I could keep more possession, great when you have a nervous one or two goal lead.

- if I’m a top half of the division team, will typically play this with a ‘wide’ mentality. Means the CB left and CB right better cover the flanks defensively, plus the two MC are slightly wider for more space down the middle of the pitch.

Another fun variant is to move a striker to the AMC position as a shadow striker, especially if the opposition play with a DMC, as your shadow striker closes them down, so your MC are not pulled out of position. Turns a 3142 into a 31411 for example. Stronger defensively, but I did score less as a result.

Interestingly I got great possession stats (with fewer goals scored :-() with that 31411, but crucially with an AM role (not support striker). Why? That midfield diamond gives lots of simple passing options (especially if the opposition plays a 442)!

Just some fun alternatives if you want to experiment

On 01/04/2020 at 11:47, AndersJ said:

Could be very i interesting to read about you tactics and thoughts in you own thread. I think i could learn alot

Nice idea, but perhaps that’s not something that I’d enjoy. My tactics tend to change / evolve most seasons, depending on the players & issues I notice while watching the games. So wouldn’t have one tactic to upload. Would rather help others adapt their own tactics, is quicker for me & more fun. Just a personal preference.

On 01/04/2020 at 11:47, AndersJ said:

Do tell more about wingers before Ifs. I tend to go with ifs.

Me too. IFs are effective & fun. I spend quite a few seasons at Sunderland (FMM19) playing with 1 IF and one ST (either DLF or AF depending on what I was trying to do.

However I find 2 IF get in the way of each other when attacking, and so as a result an opposition back 4 can be super narrow, crowding out the space.

I enjoyed using ‘defensive wingers’ in a 3142, but in a new formation with IWB, defensive wingers don’t fit that well.

So recently real WINGERS (man utd 1990s style) have been a lot of fun.

- creates loads of space in the Centre, just like Guardiola’s man city, great for a ST, shadow striker, AM or BBM to take advantage of.

- creates lots of crosses from near the byline AND lots of corners - great if you have a big target man upfront.

- I’m not 100% on this, but I feel wingers also better defend against opposition FB / WB, which limits the amount of late goals I concede from opposition crosses & corners, as the opposition full backs have less space to create when I play with wingers than IF. Am not 100% sure, just feels that way.

To be honest, 1 winger & 1 IF is probably my most effective combinations when starting off with a new team. 

Just some thoughts, as Wingers are great with IWB, which hopefully links to the OPs original point

Edited by DanM
51 minutes ago, DanM said:

Nice idea, but perhaps that’s not something that I’d enjoy. My tactics tend to change / evolve most seasons, depending on the players & issues I notice while watching the games. So wouldn’t have one tactic to upload. Would rather help others adapt their own tactics, is quicker for me & more fun. Just a personal preference.

Me too. IFs are effective & fun. I spend quite a few seasons at Sunderland (FMM19) playing with 1 IF and one ST (either DLF or AF depending on what I was trying to do.

However I find 2 IF get in the way of each other when attacking, and so as a result an opposition back 4 can be super narrow, crowding out the space.

I enjoyed using ‘defensive wingers’ in a 3142, but in a new formation with IWB, defensive wingers don’t fit that well.

So recently real WINGERS (man utd 1990s style) have been a lot of fun.

- creates loads of space in the Centre, just like Guardiola’s man city, great for a ST, shadow striker, AM or BBM to take advantage of.

- creates lots of crosses from near the byline AND lots of corners - great if you have a big target man upfront.

- I’m not 100% on this, but I feel wingers also better defend against opposition FB / WB, which limits the amount of late goals I concede from opposition crosses & corners, as the opposition full backs have less space to create when I play with wingers than IF. Am not 100% sure, just feels that way.

To be honest, 1 winger & 1 IF is probably my most effective combinations when starting off with a new team. 

Just some thoughts, as Wingers are great with IWB, which hopefully links to the OPs original point

Yes, exactly! I love the way the classic wingers interact with the IWB on the flanks in this game, so glad I sat down and gave some thought into the tactic and how classic teams like United or City like you said play wingers effectively in this sort of system. (y)

6 hours ago, LFCMO_11 said:

Yes, exactly! I love the way the classic wingers interact with the IWB on the flanks in this game, so glad I sat down and gave some thought into the tactic and how classic teams like United or City like you said play wingers effectively in this sort of system. (y)

If you go with iwbs and wingers you tick on Early cross or look for overlap OR none :)?

@AndersJ If I do that then I tend to go with early crosses,  so that my wingbacks do not really overlap, but I have not experimented with that actually on this tactic.

Although, I assume if the winger is not cutting in then he will always stick byline, unless he has decent positioning or marking then maybe overlap, your wing backs and wingers can be fluid.