Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Tactical assistance required.

Hey guys. 

Im actually starting a 1k challenge, and looking for some tactical help. 
Im not asking for a tactic i can use from here, I have a base of my own, just looking for opinions and advise. 

My average game at the minute varies between 50-65% possession, 10-15 shots, 5-8 SOT. CCC vary from 0-4. 

So stats all are promising i reckon but, i only ever win 1-0/2-1 etc. Very rarely does my striker score 2+ goals. (I have him on pens & free kicks)

My formation;

1748513361_Screenshot_20200504-161158_FM20Mobile.thumb.jpg.1e711daa287c5d817b6081d5e746b4a3.jpg

I believe that is my best team when all players are fit and good to play. 

Trying one up front to try and get most of my attacking chances from my striker. 

Wingers rather than IF so they dont cut inside and shoot as often. 

Instructions;

191782553_Screenshot_20200504-161202_FM20Mobile.thumb.jpg.a3c6fe886abd71288f0b25f05947b7dc.jpg

811054785_Screenshot_20200504-161207_FM20Mobile.thumb.jpg.f66a6b006e9233c93c37e83ed740286e.jpg

570970106_Screenshot_20200504-161211_FM20Mobile.thumb.jpg.ac520c7a7b1da1e94b7f991b444e57e8.jpg

The area im looking for help with is;

Player roles - have i chosen the right roles for more supporting players, I want players to get forward but more create chances rather than take them

Instructions - attacking (big team small league etc) Through balls - poacher should run onto them surely?

Can anyone offer some guidance on how to get more chances through to the striker, ive tried pushing the CM into AP role behind the P but they just take scoring chances away from my main man. 

Hope the post makes sense. 

Edited by Jsavfc
6 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Have you tried keeping the CM where he is but making him an AP?

I did, but I kept checking stats through the game and he was having considerable more shots than my P. 

Like i don't mind if I don't score loads and loads, aslong have say 75% of the actual shots come from the striker. 

How good is your striker?

I’m convinced that the game avoids playing to the striker when they aren’t very good either because they are young in your case, old or shit. It maybe that as he improves he gets more goals naturally and all goals before he is 20 are always a bonus as he will score the bulk after about 21ish through to 32ish.

He may get more involved in the game as a AF or TM compared with a P as well.

I’m not so convinced by the IWB either as it is making the midfield very congested and you may find standard WB better especially if your striker is decent in the air.

He’s still a baby!!!

I have found that players don’t develop as quickly in this years game and around 19-23 is when they suddenly get a big attribute jump.

Honestly the biggest thing with a 1kc is patience in the early seasons when they are young and you feel like they will never get the goals needed. If he gets you 100-150 goals by the time 20 then you have made a brilliant start but even less than that isn’t a huge problem. How many goals has he got?

5 minutes ago, Foxy said:

He’s still a baby!!!

I have found that players don’t develop as quickly in this years game and around 19-23 is when they suddenly get a big attribute jump.

Honestly the biggest thing with a 1kc is patience in the early seasons when they are young and you feel like they will never get the goals needed. If he gets you 100-150 goals by the time 20 then you have made a brilliant start but even less than that isn’t a huge problem. How many goals has he got?

Yeah it wasn't really the amount he scored that was concerning me, more just chance creation. 

Currently Feb second season and he is up to 48.

I’d be tempted to maybe try the CM further forward as an AP or AM if he is suitable especially for these early years as I find young strikers struggle up there with no support. I’ve tested a fair bit with lone strikers this year and I’ve had great difficulty getting consistency unless the player is a top level. I’ve had more joy with inside forwards but with winger types in terms striker goals with lesser strikers so that could be something to try until he fully develops. I do like the AF role whereas I generally preferred the poacher role last year. What I’ve described with the AP and inside forwards with mixed passing was basically the system I’ve used a few times with lesser strikers but this was pre the last update so things could be different now. 

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I’d be tempted to maybe try the CM further forward as an AP or AM if he is suitable especially for these early years as I find young strikers struggle up there with no support. I’ve tested a fair bit with lone strikers this year and I’ve had great difficulty getting consistency unless the player is a top level. I’ve had more joy with inside forwards but with winger types in terms striker goals with lesser strikers so that could be something to try until he fully develops. I do like the AF role whereas I generally preferred the poacher role last year. What I’ve described with the AP and inside forwards with mixed passing was basically the system I’ve used a few times with lesser strikers but this was pre the last update so things could be different now. 

1 minute ago, Woody said:

I would go with an AP in there too.

Your lacking in creativity in midfield tbh.

Would agree with Bellingham would be the AP? 

In my current tactic I've got a midfield 2 of AP and BBM with a TQ or SS behind a poacher and it's working wonders.

Also Im only playing with one CD so I need a DM or a Anchor in front.

Keep testing, testing, testing before launching in to a long career. Honestly, it'll save you lots of pain. I had been playing the games for years before I finally registered on here 2/3 years ago to do challenges and it is a real change in mindset switching from a tactic to ensure club success, which I had always tried to do, to a tactic to get x amount of goals. Test, and don't worry about failing in private. Just resist the temptation to search for tactics on here - it will not give you even 1% of the satisfaction of building your own.

Also,  don't forget it isn't just a tactic you are looking for; it's a methodology - it's about improving club facilities, scouts, coaches, setting up a balanced squad, picking the right substitutues, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Keep testing, testing, testing before launching in to a long career. Honestly, it'll save you lots of pain. I had been playing the games for years before I finally registered on here 2/3 years ago to do challenges and it is a real change in mindset switching from a tactic to ensure club success, which I had always tried to do, to a tactic to get x amount of goals. Test, and don't worry about failing in private. Just resist the temptation to search for tactics on here - it will not give you even 1% of the satisfaction of building your own.

Also,  don't forget it isn't just a tactic you are looking for; it's a methodology - it's about improving club facilities, scouts, coaches, setting up a balanced squad, picking the right substitutues, etc. 

I've got all gold natural staff, 1 attack coach, 3 fitness. 

Keep asking for training and youth upgrades every season - had some upgrades but not fully maxed out yet. 

Maybe try narrow instead of wide, my logic says your wingers can't reach your striker. Also, if he improves his heading maybe tick early crosses, not sure what to change about midfield roles. 48 already is quite impressive in my opinion without aerial?

I've picked up few things already. Hoping more contributions will come in. I'll always look forward to this kind of discussion on the vibe. Thanks guys 👍

I'd echo what others have said about him being young (and some of the other players being young too). As they mature a bit, performances will pick up. And yeah AF might be better than P. 

I'd probably train him in Aerial. I got him to 20 but that was when it was still easy to do that. These days it's harder but might still be possible - I got Koita from 11 to 20 in the latest version, but Unuvar starting at 5 might make that impossible these days. But the better he is in the air, the more those crosses will land on his head and smash into the net. Get him a mentor who will train him at 'heading'. You need someone with high Aerial, but low Teamwork and Aggression (or they will want to train him in those instead).

I've use Bellingham as an AP in some saves and from memory he did pretty well. But with my APs (in the central line) I cycle through a bunch of players until I find one that assists more than scores. I even include players who are not really AP 'shaped'. I look at their Teamwork and their Creativity, etc, but that's no substitute for actually playing them there and seeing how they go. If they shoot too much, move them to a CM position or somewhere that they'll have less chance to shoot or just drop them. 

As for the actually tactic, I won't give too much advice (I explain mine in that Tactic for a Lone Striker thread from last year), but I do find Short and Run at Defence and Work into Box to be a good combination. It doesn't stop Wingers crossing, which suits me fine. I used to use Play Through Balls but it didn't seem that effective to me, even when I had lots of players with good Creativity and Passing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, Scratch said:

I'd probably train him in Aerial. I got him to 20 but that was when it was still easy to do that. These days it's harder but might still be possible - I got Koita from 11 to 20 in the latest version, but Unuvar starting at 5 might make that impossible these days. But the better he is in the air, the more those crosses will land on his head and smash into the net. Get him a mentor who will train him at 'heading'. You need someone with high Aerial, but low Teamwork and Aggression (or they will want to train him in those instead).

Cheers Scratch. Always good to take advice from someone who has proven they know what they are taking about. 

I have managed to get his aerial up to around 8/9, hoping to hit 13/14 before long. I did have him being mentored by my CB, but after a few weeks they were not getting along so had to cancel that. 

Ive looked through that thread and took some real good tips and tricks from there, combined with this thread it seems to be working so far. 

I will like you guys to help with this. I'm working on a tactic with 2 strikers up front and with wingers. I've been trying to force the ball to the flanks so I can have as many crosses in any game as possible. Now the problem is attempted crosses are high(over 30 sometimes) but very low completed crosses(as low as 3). What can I do to increase the number of completed crosses. 

49 minutes ago, shosky said:

I will like you guys to help with this. I'm working on a tactic with 2 strikers up front and with wingers. I've been trying to force the ball to the flanks so I can have as many crosses in any game as possible. Now the problem is attempted crosses are high(over 30 sometimes) but very low completed crosses(as low as 3). What can I do to increase the number of completed crosses. 

Improving the success rate is simply down to how good your wingers/wing backs are at crossing and how good your striker is in terms of aerial, movement, pace and strength.

It must be remembered that it takes a lot of crosses to score a goal though so 3 completed out of 20 is probably a fairly decent rate.

https://www.optasportspro.com/news-analysis/the-art-of-crossing/

Some claim that crossing is ineffective, arguing that it takes 92 crosses to score a goal. But that number only considers the immediate effect of a cross. When we acknowledge the indirect effects of a cross (goals scored from the second ball, corners and penalties conceded) we find that it needs only about 45 crosses to produce a goal – a much better return.