Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges The Spice Boys - Liverpool Challenge

Hello, FMMvibers, 

Was reading on how football transformed over the years and one article caught my eye was that how it was the late 1990s - where the influx of television and marketing money of the new league format turned players from athletes to celebrities. Their wages soared and they opted for a glamorous and lavish lifestyle. One such group of players was at my favorite club - Liverpool FC.  

Photogenic lads became the poster boys of the British game and started to do advertisements and modeling. 

In 1996, the memory of Liverpool’s star-studded squad stepping out into Wembley in those blinding cream Armani suits is one that can never be erased from any football fan’s brain; unsurprisingly, it is a clip that often escapes the archives to embarrass those involved.

For a squad of players heralded as fashion icons, this wasn’t their best day. Things didn’t get much better on the pitch either as Eric Cantona’s late volley handed Manchester United the trophy, condemning Liverpool’s rock stars to further criticism.

Were Liverpool FC's Spice Boys really as bad as their white suits ...

Anfield's flashiest team – A brief history of Liverpool's Spice ...

The squad at that time was majorly filled with young British players - unlike what it is today. 

The Spice Boys, as glamorous as they were off the field - were exactly the opposite on the field. Yes, they were entertaining and played some really good footie but in terms of trophies, they just won the Coca Cola Cup in 1995 and were very inconsistent in the league in terms of their standings.

It was after Roy Evans departure - and Gerard Houllier's appointment - the squad reshaped and won 5 trophies in 2 years. (a treble included)  

The Spice boys mainly included - 

Robbie Fowler - Striker 

Stand Collymore - Striker  

Steve McManaman - Attacking Mid

Jamie Redknapp - Central Mid 

Jason Mcateer - CM but was deployed as RM/RWB 

David James - Goalkeeper 

Here is the Challenge: 

- Take over Liverpool and sell all their prized assets like Salah, Firmino, Mane, Van Dijk, and other nationalities, keeping only the British players at your disposal 

- Sign the Spice Boys i.e. 2 English Strikers, 1 English Attacking mid, 1 English Center mid, 1 English Goalkeeper and 1 Irish RWB/RM 

- Roy Evans used a 3-5-2 formation, replicate that 

- Tactics can be your own 

- They failed to win any major trophies - except the League cup, win that. but win everything available from PL to FA cup to UCL and do this for 1 season 

- Points to be awarded basis what all you win + standings + GD and how your spice boys perform (Goals/Assists/Clean Sheets)  

Points system

UEFA CL: 100 points 

League : 90 points 

FA cup: 50 points 

League cup: 50 points 

UEFA Super Cup: 25 points 

Community shield: 25 points 

CWC: 25 points 

Treble (League + FA cup + UCL) : additional 80 points

Treble (League + CC + UCL): additional 80 points

Treble (FA + CC + UCL) : additional 65 points 

Domestic treble (League + CC + FA) : additional 65 points 

Double (League + UCL) : additional 60 points 

Double (League + FA/CC): additional 50 points 

Double (CC + FA): additional 40 points 

More bonuses: 

If you win all 7 trophies (UCL + League + FA + CC + CS + SC + CWC) : Bonus 350 points 

Six trophies: 300 points 

Five trophies: 250 points 

Quad: 200 points 

Leader board: 

P.S

Please guys - feel free to feedback or give any suggestions - can look to incorporate. 

Edited by FMFanatic20

Lovely suits those and if we’d won that game there’d be no mention of them again. I really enjoyed that time and team as it was when I was first into football properly. Some brilliant football and the thing is we often finished in what would later become Champions League qualification positions so I feel Roy was a but unlucky in that regard as we were so close to getting it right and it would’ve been a brilliant right as the football was just lovely to watch.

Interesting this and I may well give it a shot at some point.

36 minutes ago, Ian said:

Lovely suits those and if we’d won that game there’d be no mention of them again. I really enjoyed that time and team as it was when I was first into football properly. Some brilliant football and the thing is we often finished in what would later become Champions League qualification positions so I feel Roy was a but unlucky in that regard as we were so close to getting it right and it would’ve been a brilliant right as the football was just lovely to watch.

Interesting this and I may well give it a shot at some point.

Very rightly mentioned by you - I believe some teams are remembered for how they played the game and not necessarily what they won. Of course, winning is imp but sometimes you got to keep the glory aside and have some fun and entertain yourself. 

Although, I was a kid at that time and couldn't get to witness such greatness - yea, can only imagine how good it must be to watch that late 90s - early 2Ks Liverpool team with such iconic players. 

And yea, great to see you up for this challenge - keep us posted on who your 'spice boys' are... thanks 

Edited by FMFanatic20
5 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Interesting one but what if we complete this on season 1? We’re on top of the leaderboard?

yes :)    

4 minutes ago, FMFanatic20 said:

yes :)    

9 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Interesting one but what if we complete this on season 1? We’re on top of the leaderboard?

I just made this change - actually you are right... it should be a one season challenge - nothing in it to be dragged for 2 - 3 seasons. So yea, whatever you win + GD + league standing + performance by the spice boys at the end of the season is what will decide the leader board.