Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Schwantz tries the Shearer Challenge, again!

Yes you read that right, I'm going for this again! Quite enjoyed doing this one last time but felt like I could have beaten it sooner. That will be the aim here to beat my own score. I'm using a different club in Everton and I've signed a different striker in Tyrese Campbell as well as tweaking my 4-3-3 setup from last time out. I realise I could have used Calvert-Lewin here and was tempted, but he's already good and I enjoyed developing a young striker from a division below last time so that's what I'm going for again here.

The player;

WBDKypS.jpg

EyziHVy.jpg

The tactic;

ZpocTSg.jpg

Eu8yOva.jpg

yNmscAI.jpg

Not much left to say other than here we go again 🤣

Good luck! I've never heard of Tyrese Campbell, but it's always fun trying out the unknowns rather than the wonderkids. Interesting tactic! (mine is much more boring than that 🙂). 

3 hours ago, Scratch said:

Good luck! I've never heard of Tyrese Campbell, but it's always fun trying out the unknowns rather than the wonderkids. Interesting tactic! (mine is much more boring than that 🙂). 

It's doing well so hoping it carries on that way. Currently top by a point after 10 games. Campbell has 6 goals in 10 starts.

Good luck, I used a similar system with one IF pushed up and one back on last years game and it was very good for results. Hopefully it’ll go well for you here.

42 minutes ago, Ian said:

Good luck, I used a similar system with one IF pushed up and one back on last years game and it was very good for results. Hopefully it’ll go well for you here.

There's a tactic on here that works very well with one IF dropped back so went with that rather than both up as I had last time out on this challenge. Tactic is similar to my original challenge one and still might set my midfield 3 back to AP DLP AP because that was effective before, but right now my current setup is working.

Edited by Schwantz34

Season 1

Despite a 2 month injury lay off Campbell did well in his debut campaign, hitting 21 goals in 32 games. The tally is the same as Loader in season 1 from my previous attempt but in 5 less games which is a good sign. He also took the Footballer of the year award.

Campbell's season;

cIxy2s3.jpg

umhCx82.jpg

Team wise it was a very successful season with us taking the title! Four players made the team of the year and I got Manager of the year. Not at all bad for a first season with a completely different set of players after some major transfer surgery. The amount of changes was a lot down to offers coming in and being told the players were interested in the moves and would react badly if I rejected the offers. That said there was only Digne, Pickford, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison I'd have wanted to keep from those I allowed to speak to other clubs. I was more than happy with the players I brought in and I doubt I'll make that many moves next season now. I'll be trying to keep Digne who I haven't lost yet but he does have an arranged deal with Napoli (as his transfer fell outside the January window), that I might cancel because I'm banking on him not reacting badly now we're Champions.

wqUbBlr.jpg

lhVsudK.jpg

Champions League football can only help Campbell's development and if he can stay injury free I'm hoping for a more productive season. I did make a small tactical tweak from my original setup in the first post, so we now have the setup below, with two AP's but everything else remains the same from the first post in this thread. Because the tactic has been successful already I'll stick with it.

RWD5So3.jpg

Final Table

KfTVKL2.jpg

Transfers In

EhU2rfa.jpg

m32EE1J.jpg

Transfers Out

GzQDIhT.jpg

GnuV4ox.jpg

Goals

sMligYI.jpg

Assists

ujbcSjj.jpg

Games

zAcD4f8.jpg

izfs36f.jpg

XOndqDC.jpg

8jXt9sC.jpg

Really can't be unhappy with the start and Campbell matching Loader with less games played. On we go from here!

Current Tyrese Campbell numbers;

Games - 32

Goals - 21

Seasons - 1

vKQ9Tpx.jpg

My tactic is really struggling in season 2 so far and I'm down in mid table. Not sure why either as I haven't changed it.

Going to tweak it a little to try and get some results or I may get the sack!

Great job in season 1 and love some of the players you signed - Palacios, Ajer, Moriba, Fati, Livakovic, these guys are class!

Sorry to hear about season 2, hope you get it back on track shortly.

2 hours ago, Scratch said:

Great job in season 1 and love some of the players you signed - Palacios, Ajer, Moriba, Fati, Livakovic, these guys are class!

Sorry to hear about season 2, hope you get it back on track shortly.

I changed the midfield back to how I had it in my original challenge, AP DLP AP. That's got results coming back.

5 minutes ago, Schwantz34 said:

I changed the midfield back to how I had it in my original challenge, AP DLP AP. That's got results coming back.

Interesting. DLP is a role I've always used and had success with, right up to this year. It just seemed to stop working for me, but I don't know why. I used to have CM DLP AP, then AP DLP AP, then CM DLP CM, and the DLP worked great in all of them. Now I'm rolling with CM AP CM and works okay. Of course I have a totally different tactic than you, so that would come into it. But anyway, glad to see the DLP working for someone!

20 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Interesting. DLP is a role I've always used and had success with, right up to this year. It just seemed to stop working for me, but I don't know why. I used to have CM DLP AP, then AP DLP AP, then CM DLP CM, and the DLP worked great in all of them. Now I'm rolling with CM AP CM and works okay. Of course I have a totally different tactic than you, so that would come into it. But anyway, glad to see the DLP working for someone!

Yeah it just seems to shore things up having one in the middle of my 3. I might still try to incorporate a BBM back in on the right or left of the 3 though, because those are very useful in this year's game.

About to lose Ajer & Digne in January of season 2, who are two of my best players. Valencia and Juventus are bidding and both players want to consider the approaches. Both will apparently react badly if I refuse.

That's me searching for replacements.

[Edit]

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the club reputation, because I also ended up losing Gomes and Palacios for the same 'will react badly if this offer is rejected' reason 😡

Edited by Schwantz34

Season 2

This season was almost a disaster but was quickly rescued by a tactical tweak to get things going again after a really shaky start. I also wasn't planning on so much transfer business, and then I lost Digne, Palacios, Ajer and Gomes in January after they hit me with the 'may react badly if this offer is rejected' line in January. Starting to think it's a club reputation thing since it happened last season as well, despite winning the title which I've won again this season. We've replaced them though and gone on to win a league and FA Cup double.

This is the system we're now using. It's a mix of my original challenge tactic and the new tactic for this challenge. It's been pretty good since I settled on it after changing little things for half the season;

CZMrpN8.jpg

glcUQ9F.jpg

RawCSHc.jpg

Campbell had himself a good season in scoring 32 goals in 50 games with 22 of those in the league so he's one up on last season. Also won another award in the Players Young Player award and gotten himself into the Players team of the year again;

r7qz22Q.jpg

9bV3ZGT.jpg

shCtOAv.jpg

Happy with a second league title in a row and the FA Cup win. Going further in Europe would have been nice but the squad upheaval hasn't helped there. Hopefully more settled in season 3 and just add a sprinkle of extra quality.

e15JlCs.jpg

Transfers In

LE9wcaO.jpg

Transfers Out

Pr0mlRm.jpg

NR7yJB1.jpg

CZVjCSb.jpg

Goals

sTNdbhF.jpg

Assists

oacjS5S.jpg

Games

9gbnHWV.jpg

swKXnon.jpg

vsbWHkZ.jpg

Kw8ouRh.jpg

ujXmhdA.jpg

Pleased with what Campbell got since he just wasn't scoring for four and five game spells until the tactical changes. 

Games - 68

Goals - 43

Seasons - 2

XNSpaho.jpg

Wow you sell cheap, do you Transfer List and then let clubs offer you a price, or do you offer them out for your own price?

Sorry only just caught up, and I saw what you sold your original players for, seriously played with Everton before, and got double what you are agreeing on??

But, doing really well, good luck

26 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

Wow you sell cheap, do you Transfer List and then let clubs offer you a price, or do you offer them out for your own price?

Sorry only just caught up, and I saw what you sold your original players for, seriously played with Everton before, and got double what you are agreeing on??

But, doing really well, good luck

As explained previously, clubs are coming in and I'm having a lot of issues with players hitting me with 'may react badly if the offer is rejected'. I tried rejecting one and the player was then garbage and his average ratings nose dived. Given that I just let them leave now if I see that line and I know I can replace them so it's not really affecting anything. Got a stack of money in the bank still and a good side now as long as I don't keep having to sell and replace. Shouldn't do with who I've brought in.

Edited by Schwantz34
On 23/07/2020 at 23:19, Schwantz34 said:

About to lose Ajer & Digne in January of season 2, who are two of my best players. Valencia and Juventus are bidding and both players want to consider the approaches. Both will apparently react badly if I refuse.

That's me searching for replacements.

[Edit]

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the club reputation, because I also ended up losing Gomes and Palacios for the same 'will react badly if this offer is rejected' reason 😡

I heard from @Ian who heard from @Rob that if you just accept the offers for them and then wait until you're asked to confirm the transfer, then say No, then they don't get upset. Seemed to work for me too, although with one player I got FMM'd - the game said I'd confirmed the transfer when I hadn't. So it's a use at your own risk approach!

What I normally do though (before I learned of that) is that I go and offer them a new contract before responding to the offer. If they accept, then the offer gets automatically rejected and they will sign the contract and be happy. But if they really want to go, then they won't agree a new contract and there's nothing much you can do. 

I don't mind a bit of this in the game, as it's realistic, but I've had times where half my team is being targeted... 

Campbell's scoring ratio is good but he may be injury prone. Approaching December now and he only has 12 league appearances, with 8 goals.

bPAAp43.jpg

Season 3

Very strange season this. Campbell was always out injured it seemed like and despite playing 34 games, many of them were actually sub appearances as he often wasn't fit enough to start and he's ended the term on only 19 league goals and 4 of those were in one game. Team wise it was strange as well, after only finishing on one point less than last seasons title win I was 8 points behind winners Liverpool this time around. I played around with the tactic quite a bit as nothing seemed to get Campbell scoring more, eventually landing on a slight variation which I'll post up. European wise though things improved massively in making the semi final, only to then crash our having a 2 goal lead going into an away tie with Juventus. A good European run nonetheless and there was a trophy win when we took the FA Cup again, beating Chelsea in the final. Let's see what season 4 brings provided Campbell can stay fit enough to start 30 games or at least that's the hope. If he can't then the injury worries might derail this challenge.

6UIzC6E.jpg

Tactic tweak;

3fx1oRE.jpg

OuTXwcm.jpg

shv5p5l.jpg

Final Table

ugxGpQU.jpg

Transfers In

kc299zS.jpg

Transfers Out

S7qdDop.jpg

42mp1Iy.jpg

Goals

I3hvvF7.jpg

Assists

RvCyF9c.jpg

Games

xJfoM7M.jpg

zfssEkv.jpg

S8WT3zq.jpg

vNebgjz.jpg

mrv6KMx.jpg

Given the injury hit season Campbell has probably done alright scraping together a 19 goal league return, but he needs to do more to stand a chance of toppling Danny Loader from my previous attempt.

Games - 102

Goals - 62

Seasons - 3

qXC8wx4.jpg

Season 4

League runner up again but Campbell hit 28 league goals after another tactic tweak, so I'm happy he's been able to start enough to get a good haul finally. Still not totally happy with the tactic and feel I still haven't found the best setup yet to get the best from Campbell. Champions League semi final again too knocking out Liverpool in the QF for some payback after they took our league title last season. Not a lot else to say this season so on to the facts and figures.

Campbell goals

iEZ0Dnk.jpg

Current tactic

Tgbaj6h.jpg

ZRy5LvB.jpg

9qf0ZX9.jpg

Final Table

0AFsDLK.jpg

Transfers In

Djotr1T.jpg

Transfers Out

VkFxFcM.jpg

Goals

2sTTHtt.jpg

Assists

7T5PT7F.jpg

Games

HU0g92C.jpg

80Uak0K.jpg

SIDTMZF.jpg

tZn8ylW.jpg

3EOiynM.jpg

Now here's something I don't get. Campbell compared to last season has played more and scored more, improved his average rating, upped his stats and is worth more money but still has a two and a half star rating. Weird. He's still doing the business for me though. He's played 2 more games and has 11 more goals than Loader had after 4 seasons, so now he needs to keep extending that number.

Games - 140

Goals - 90

Seasons - 4

hAWyced.jpg

Doing nicely! Surely going to go one better in the Champions League next season. 🙂 

Campbell is looking good, though yeah, keep tweaking that tactic as I think you'll be able to get more out of him when you crack it. I noticed you only got 60 goals in the league this season, whereas in season 2 you had 83, which is quite a difference - so although this tactic is obviously solid (ie it'll get you to the CL semi final), you probably need to keep tweaking until it gets you more goals.

But that's half the fun of FMM! I'm sadly stuck in a rut where I have a tactic that work really well so I never change it, but that's pretty boring. So I like reading about how you approach things.

On 03/08/2020 at 12:53, Scratch said:

Doing nicely! Surely going to go one better in the Champions League next season. 🙂 

Campbell is looking good, though yeah, keep tweaking that tactic as I think you'll be able to get more out of him when you crack it. I noticed you only got 60 goals in the league this season, whereas in season 2 you had 83, which is quite a difference - so although this tactic is obviously solid (ie it'll get you to the CL semi final), you probably need to keep tweaking until it gets you more goals.

But that's half the fun of FMM! I'm sadly stuck in a rut where I have a tactic that work really well so I never change it, but that's pretty boring. So I like reading about how you approach things.

I might, I say might, have hit on something good. Played 10 (12 if we count friendlies and won both of those as well) and won 10 so far, the most recent game being a 4-2 away win at PSG. I put the shape back to one high IF on the left and kept the AP lower on the right still. Tweaked some instructions and swapped the right BBM for am AP. Campbell has 6 goals in 7 league games.

So far it's been really good so we'll see how it pans out over a season.

Just lost Livakovic in goal. Offered him a new deal just before January when he approached me for one. He signed the deal then January in come Bayern for him and he wants to go, so I tried the trick @Scratchsuggested but because he'd just signed one he wouldn't negotiate another. Replaced him with Pau Lopez so not a total disaster. Just a bit frustrating but I did make a £46m profit on Livakovic.

Season 5

What a season! Unbeaten in the league! I'm very very frustrated at losing the Champions League final after that run of results leading up to it. I definitely got FM'd there! On the plus side we've done Bayern 5-0 on aggregate in the semi-final and that's no easy task so it shows the new tactical setup is working against the biggest sides in Europe as well as domestically. Campbell has had his most productive season so far with a brilliant 35 league goals and 40 in total for his season. He also walked away with awards and places in the world 11 and Premier League team of the season. Young Whittaker also had a fantastic season and won an award himself. I think I'll be sticking with the current setup now after the results I've just had with it and Campbell seems to be thriving in it so for the challenge it makes sense to stop tweaking at least for the new season to see if it can hit these heights again. If it does then I'll probably pick another team just to run through a quick test and post it up for people to use in the tactics thread if it produces elsewhere too. Very happy with season 5! Weirdly though season 5 was also when Loader had a big season with 37 goals in season 5 of my last Shearer challenge attempt, spooky! 

Campbell's season

EWB0FBC.jpg

S08Yxsh.jpg

bNMI25a.jpg

RtSqiyN.jpg

sEt6AuB.jpg

cameuh1.jpg

Whittaker

Tov5pmR.jpg

Current tactical setup

YzZ2onz.jpg

qgiX5pR.jpg

sFECDhJ.jpg

Final table

merzjMI.jpg

Transfers In

GLShEQD.jpg

Transfers Out

WwLoio7.jpg

lcjQAl6.jpg

Goals

6MJuKXW.jpg

Assists

159suHU.jpg

Games

X1YX69c.jpg

2mWA3q7.jpg

itYnfrE.jpg

k2x47xV.jpg

CAGqfmH.jpg

4JltHSY.jpg

Campbell is doing very well now and his value is continuing to rise though his star level is again on 2 and a half which I still find very odd. His goal numbers have him 9 ahead of where Loader was after 5 seasons, with the same number of games played by each of them.

Games - 175

Goals - 125

Seasons - 5

jZIW9yP.jpg

Injury curse is back as I lost Campbell for a month again and he's had other spells of a few weeks out so far. Hopefully no more between now and the end. Only a few games left to go.

I don't think season 6 will be another 30+ goal one. I'll be happy if he breaks 20+ the way it's panning out. Having to bring him on as a sub a lot with him again not being fit enough to start many, following injuries.

Edited by Schwantz34

Tyrese smashed them in this season, maybe he's just taking season 6 off 😂, anyway cracking season 5 and Whittaker looks class, I've never signed him on this, another youngster Derby have churned out. Their youth scouts need a raise. 

2 hours ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Tyrese smashed them in this season, maybe he's just taking season 6 off 😂, anyway cracking season 5 and Whittaker looks class, I've never signed him on this, another youngster Derby have churned out. Their youth scouts need a raise. 

Campbell is up to 19 league goals but only has 5 league matches left now. He should go over 20 goals so I'd take that after another disrupted season.

There's some real diamonds at Derby but Whittaker has been fantastic for me. I signed Max Lowe in 2020/21 but he's never done anything for me and barely ever assists. My regular wingbacks (Hans Hateboer & Marcel Halstenberg)  have been pretty consistent the last few seasons with a good amount of assists, but both are in their 30's now so I have replacements that will take over sooner rather than later. One is Theo Hernandez at left back and the other was going to be Cody Drameh at right back, but he's not really performed when I've used him so I signed Luke Matheson in January and loaned him back to Wolves until the end of the season. Matheson has great stats so I hope his ability matches it.

yBtAOVd.jpg

Edited by Schwantz34

Matheson looks quality, great as a backup maybe even a starter, Max Lowe never seemed to be good for me either, (seen Matheson play on EFL on Quest a few times looks a tidy modern Wing Back IRL)