Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games Challenge Cup 2020

Challenge Cup 2020

Welcome one and all to what is the 13th edition of Vibe’s Challenge Cup. A tournament that is nice to be bringing to you again after it didn’t happen last year due to major issues with the game.

This is the third and final event of FMM20 and follows the Vibe Premier Leaguewhich was won in superb style by @Ian earlier in the year and the Vibe World Cupwhere myself and @smoggy90 were able to bring glory to the North East.

Before I go through who is participating this year and the format, let’s take a quick look through the history of the Challenge Cup and the previous winners:

Challenge Cup One 
Host: samhardy
Winner: Ollie 
Runner-Up: Trailer

Challenge Cup Two 
Host: samhardy
Winner: Sunny 
Runner-Up: RAC

Challenge Cup Three 
Host: United58/samhardy
Winner: Scott 
Runner-Up: samhardy

Challenge Cup Four 
Host: ImABlueToo
Winner: Sunny 
Runner-Up: Anwar

Challenge Cup Five 
Host: anfieldsquirrel
Winner: Lewiitom

Challenge Cup Six 
ABANDONED

Challenge Cup Seven 
Winner: Devil 
Runner-Up: Ashez

Challenge Cup Eight 
Host: Ashez
Winner: Ashez
Runner-Up: Scott

Challenge Cup Nine
Host: samhardy/Dirtboy
Winner: MerlionMaple96
Runner-Up: Ashez

Challenge Cup Ten
Host: BatiGoal/samhardy
Winner: PriZe
Runner-Up: samhardy

Challenge Cup Eleven
Host: samhardy/Ashez
Winner: samhardy
Runner-Up: BatiGoal

Challenge Cup Twelve
Host: samhardy/anfieldsquirrel
Winner: Foxy
Runner-Up: Damilare

There was enough drama in those 12 events to be able to write a 1000 page novel but as you can see Vibe does indeed have its very own version of the Crucible Curse as nobody has ever retained the title, @Ashez coming the closest in 2015. Sunny is the only person to win it twice, claiming the titles of the 2nd and 4th tournaments.

It won’t be being retained this year either as @Foxy has decided not to participate. Instead rumours are doing the rounds that he will be providing “expert analysis” throughout this year’s event which I can assure you is absolutely NOT something to look forward to.

This Year

I wasn’t sure on how many numbers we’d get for this which is why it was touch and go as to whether it would go ahead but in the end 10 people are involved, which is absolutely perfect for how it is going to be run this year.

Here are the managers hoping to add their name to the roll of honour this year:

Format

A fair few different formats have been tried in the CC in the past and this is how the tournament will be playing out this year:

1. A qualifying round where all 10 participants will play a challenge. The bottom 2 will be eliminated, with the top 8 making it through to the quarter finals from which it will be straight knockout.
  2. Quarter Finals, semi and final, simply straight knockout.

Your position in qualifying will become your seed for the tournament, so it’s not just about scraping through in 8th place. The Q/Fs will be 1v8, 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5.

Plan

The qualifying challenge will be out on Saturday and you will have a week to play it.

In the meantime I think you will have to endure some “build up” from the reigning Challenge Cup champion @Foxy regarding the runners and riders and in fact I’m just hearing that potentially Sexy Sue and possibly even Colin Sale may be making sporadic appearances throughout.

That just about covers everything and I hope you enjoy the event whether you are participating or simply following.

And most importantly of all remember to read the rules of each challenge and ask if you are unsure as avoidable disqualifications are never nice :P

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

And what happened in 2013 for it to be abandoned?

I can’t fully remember but I think half the field just disappeared out of nowhere half way through 😂

Glad to be part of this competition I'm in good company with the rest of the participants best of luck everybody

Edited by gunnersaur
2 hours ago, Ruvio4 said:

How do I get selected for next years event?

You just need to keep a look out in the events thread where whoever is hosting the event will let everyone know when sign ups start.

55 minutes ago, samhardy said:

You just need to keep a look out in the events thread where whoever is hosting the event will let everyone know when sign ups start.

Will do, thanks mate!

Well do I remember the dramas of the 2018 CC... And that was the most recent one, I hate to think of all the drama that went before! 

Anyway, good luck everyone. Not sure who to put my money on! 

1286616691_photo17-02-2020174807.thumb.jpg.3564df5b56c39dd61cc6e528e792674e.jpg

After a years break to get over the shock of my victory in 2018 the Challenge Cup is back and its time to take a look at the runners and riders for this prestigious competition. We have a real mix this year with some seasoned veterans mixing it with those that have only competed once or twice before and then a couple of debutantes as well.

The overall winner odds is at the bottom of the post but I have thrown in a few specials as well just to get your wallets twitching.

The Debutantes

Both @gunnersaur and @AdamNufc will be competing not only in there first Challenge Cup but there first ever Vibe events and they are real unknown quantities at this level. The bookies certainly aren’t expecting the winner to come from either of these two as they both come in at 100/1 shots but they do feel there is a chance that at least one will get through the qualifying round.

Odds on at least one debutante making the Quarter Finals - 4/6

The Outsiders

Here we see a group of players that have competed in events before but have yet to show enough to make the bookies feel they have a chance of winning.

The Irish Ilex that is @Mr Tree competed in the VPL back in the winter/spring but was unable to get to the playoff stage despite a respectable 6th place finish in the league stage. The bookies are confident he will get through qualifying but it will very much depend on the draw he gets whether we will see him in the final.

@Cockers2505 and @Jsavfc teamed up for the VWC back in the spring but weren’t able to get past the qualifying there. Hopefully they will use that experience to push on this time and the bookies feel both should get through to the knock outs.

An outsider to make the final - 10/1

The Contenders

Here we find the guys that have the experience of these events that should see them get deep into the competition.

@Kanegan is a veteran these days both in competitions and of various challenges on the site and it’s surely only a matter of time before it all clicks in a community event. 

@broodje kip had an impressive set of results in the VWC and it should have been better for him if he had read the rules of the final group stage challenge properly. Despite that slip up and only seeing him compete in one Vibe event so far the bookies feel he is very much a contender in this event and have priced him up as such.

@Woody has competed in countless Vibe competitions and will have faced many types of challenge but the question remains whether he can use that experience to win this event. The jury is still out but the bookies are taking no chances.

@smoggy90 is again someone with plenty of experience in all types of challenge and he has a VWC winners medal on his mantelpiece as well which much give him huge confidence. He is 2nd favourite with the bookies but that could change depending on the seedings after the qualifying round.

One the contenders to go out in qualifying - 15/1

The Favourite

@Ian lifted the VPL trophy after an impressive tournament and he also won the VWC last year alongside Sam. This all adds up to him being the man to beat in thisevent and the bookies feel he should make the final minimum and expect to see him win the title.

Ian to unnecessarily and unfairly slag off FoxBet during the event - 1/20

Outright Odds to Win the Event

Odds provided by FoxBet - Your Money in our Pockets

• Ian 11/8
  • Smog 3/1
  • Woody 5/1
  • Kanegan 11/2
  • Sandwich 8/1
  • Tree 16/1
  • Villa 50/1
  • Cockers 75/1
  • Gunnersaur 100/1
  • Adam 100/1

Good luck to everyone involved.

Wow if I was a betting man, then a £10 on myself would be a good thing, but as I have never put a bet on in my 49 years, I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope I can try and get past qualifying 🤞

Thanks for the invite  

2 minutes ago, gunnersaur said:

It'll just be more impressive when I win the whole thing 😂 the underdogs are here to make a statement... Sure I like Paddy Power more anyway 😜

Wonder what's the odds of BOTH me and you reaching the final @gunnersaur 😂

3 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Wonder what's the odds of BOTH me and you reaching the final @gunnersaur 😂

We'll have to ask @Foxy on that one 😂 what were Leicester that year 5000/1 Id say about that ... That's a lot of money we'd make 😂

34 minutes ago, gunnersaur said:

We'll have to ask @Foxy on that one 😂 what were Leicester that year 5000/1 Id say about that ... That's a lot of money we'd make 😂

FoxBet has far more confidence in you both than that but we would offer 500/1 on you both making the final.

8 minutes ago, Foxy said:

FoxBet has far more confidence in you both than that but we would offer 500/1 on you both making the final.

I'm sure a lot of people have taken that bet ...good to see there's some confidence in us both reaching the final from FoxBet in all honesty that tells me we are slightly feared 😂