Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games Challenge Cup 2020

Semi Final Challenge

image.thumb.jpeg.875f86c892046b8dc6327fbfa44f8968.jpeg

This challenge is mostly @Ashez so make sure to send all praise/abuse his way. It is inspired by Watford and in particular their squad building which isn’t too dissimilar to a squad people have built in FMM in the past, just seeming to buy random players and try and shove them all into a system.

One thing in particular caught the eye though, and is the inspiration behind this challenge.

EB934F25-0CA9-413C-B98B-4DB2016EC3BC.jpeg.dba9fe2e6db61f7ef01d66cb43111f19.jpeg

The Challenge

In short, you will have a limit of £15-30M to sign a striker. The amount you spend on the striker will be the total you have to spend on your whole defensive line in total, which will be a back 5 for this challenge. You have to play a back 5 and it will be full of budget defenders.

You will also have to sign a replacement for Ben Foster, however this player must be a free agent and must be the lowest earner in terms of wages in the squad.

Now you may be wondering why the budget for the striker isn’t a fixed one and says 15-30M. This is where your decision making will be tested as the “limit” is £15M but if you wish you may go over that limit through to a maximum of £30M. The catch here is for every million you go over £15M you will lose 2 points off your overall total. Going over £30M is against the rules.

No other signings will be allowed, so you are required to bring in 7 players:

• Any striker. He must be bought, and the amount you spend on him will be the amount you have for...
  • The 5 defenders. These must be bought and must not exceed the amount you spent on the striker in total.
  • A free agent goalkeeper replacement for Ben Foster who must have the lowest wage in your first team squad.

You can sell who you want and it is advised to sell players you won’t need, to give yourself a decent budget.

Apart from the goalkeeper frees aren’t allowed, and neither are loans or part exchanges. They must be bought in the traditional fashion.

• League Points + Striker Goals (All Comps)
  • Minus Goals Conceded (All Comps)
  • 2 points off for every million you spend over £15M for the striker

Example of a score:

78 league points, 35 striker goals, 40 goals conceded, £20M spent on the striker and then on the back 5.

Would total 68.

Clarifications

• You must manage Watford. Sorry about that.
  • Frees, loans, and P/ex aren’t allowed apart from the keeper which must be a free agent.
  • The limit for the striker is £15-30M. This will be the amount you can spend on the back 5 in total.
  • You can’t sign anyone else apart from the 7 challenge players. These players must play in every game unless they are unavailable for whatever reason.
  • For the purposes of the challenge if you go over £15M even by 1K that will be classed as a million over and 2 points will come off.
  • You cannot go over £30M. This will result in a disqualification.
  • Tactic must be 5 at the back. Wing backs in the DML and DMR slot are not allowed, as they are officially classed as defensive midfielders in game.
  • You can sell who you want.
  • Any coaching badges and reputation.
  • Any leagues loaded.
  • Tiebreaker = league points.

Deadline - Tuesday 18th August 11:59PM BST

Please submit your results in the PM thread used for the previous round in order to save PM space.

Rules

• Enhanced match engine only.
  • Own tactics only.
  • No unlockables, IGE or outside software.
  • SI approved databases only.
  • No cheating, holidaying or reloading. One attempt and one attempt only.
  • Evidence via screenshots will be required. No screenshots = no points.
  • Failure to submit before the deadline will equal no score - no extensions.
  • If you fall under any suspicion you may be asked to submit your save file for investigation. Fail to do so will see you being ejected from the competition.
  • PM me with your results in the already created thread.

Screenshots Required

• Transfers page
  • Squad list in order of appearances
  • Attributes of all 7 signed players at the end of the season
  • Manager profile
  • League table
  • Tactic
  • Fixture list

I saw that article snippet going around Twitter so I was going to post something similar as a regular challenge, however I decided to offer it to the CC hosts first. I expected it to be used in an earlier round if at all but after some challenge adding tweaks here we are 😂

Personally I think it's a nice little challenge with so many options and decisions to make. I like challenges with depth where you have to think about every aspect. 

Glad I'm not playing it mind 😛

16 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I saw that article snippet going around Twitter so I was going to post something similar as a regular challenge, however I decided to offer it to the CC hosts first. I expected it to be used in an earlier round if at all but after some challenge adding tweaks here we are 😂

Personally I think it's a nice little challenge with so many options and decisions to make. I like challenges with depth where you have to think about every aspect. 

Glad I'm not playing it mind 😛

Ash: ‘The semi final is going to be a speed run of Zelda: Breath of the World.’

Everyone: ‘Er, Ash, that’s got nothing to do with FMM.’

Ash: ‘What about Steamworld?’

Everyone: ‘No.’

Ash: ‘Dragon Quest?’

Everyone: *shakes head*

Ash: ‘Ah, screw it, do the Watford challenge.’

56 minutes ago, Rob said:

Ash: ‘The semi final is going to be a speed run of Zelda: Breath of the World.’

Everyone: ‘Er, Ash, that’s got nothing to do with FMM.’

Ash: ‘What about Steamworld?’

Everyone: ‘No.’

Ash: ‘Dragon Quest?’

Everyone: *shakes head*

Ash: ‘Ah, screw it, do the Watford challenge.’

You act like you think I've not looked into FMM speedruns and the like ;)

15 minutes ago, Ashez said:

You act like you think I've not looked into FMM speedruns and the like ;)

Oh god. That would be hilarious.

Cracking challenge btw.

Please can somebody explain in English what the hell i’m supposed to do, i’m an old man and my brain can’t calculate that many things at the same time, it could be £15mil but it could be £30mil but then that’s what you need for your defence ‘aaahhh’ I’ve just got a migraine!!!’

But seriously that has got to be one challenge where you don’t just jump in and expect to finish it overnight, unless you’re called @Jsavfc and you make a right cock up by rushing it leaving others (that would be me 😉) to take their time and hand it a result that gets them through to the final 😄

good luck to everyone 

Edited by Cockers2505
44 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

Please can somebody explain in English what the hell i’m supposed to do, i’m an old man and my brain can’t calculate that many things at the same time, it could be £15mil but it could be £30mil but then that’s what you need for your defence ‘aaahhh’ I’ve just got a migraine!!!’

But seriously that has got to be one challenge where you don’t just jump in and expect to finish it overnight, unless you’re called @Jsavfc and you make a right cock up by rushing it leaving others (that would be me 😉) to take their time and hand it a result that gets them through to the final 😄

good luck to everyone 

The way i read it, and hoping im right as research has started, you can spend anywhere from 15m-30m on a striker, but how-ever he costs, is the same amount you can spend on your back 5. 

But if you spent 20m on a striker, thats 10 points off your total at the end. 

Dont worry, mine wont be done any time in the next day or two, this needs some planning!

Edit - Just a question that ive thought of, @samhardy does the striker have to be natural bright green? Or can he be dark green/yellow and trained into the ST role?

Edited by Jsavfc
1 hour ago, Jsavfc said:

Edit - Just a question that ive thought of, @samhardy does the striker have to be natural bright green? Or can he be dark green/yellow and trained into the ST role?

He has to be a striker so at least accomplished in the role (any shade of green will do).

Not yellow though.

2 hours ago, samhardy said:

He has to be a striker so at least accomplished in the role (any shade of green will do).

Not yellow though.

Cheers. 

Do you need screenshots for any reason if one of the defenders can't play, like a injury/suspension?

43 minutes ago, Jsavfc said:

Cheers. 

Do you need screenshots for any reason if one of the defenders can't play, like a injury/suspension?

They aren’t absolutely necessary but if you can get a screenshot of the injury when it happens that would be good.

12 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

Do you want a screenshot of the teams wages?

Yes as it‘s evidence that the keeper is on the lowest wage. Forgot to add it to the challenge post.

I'm super excited about this reveal, the challenge has so many variables and the "money unbonus points" part is soooo intriguing!

2 hours ago, Jsavfc said:

Feeling strangely confident about this round. This, however is where @Cockers2505 comes out and has literally doubled my score ha. 

Genuinely mate I don't think so, I had a torrid few days so didn't get to do it until Sunday night, so had to smash it out, so I guess it wasn't as good as the last round due to rushing it, and it was a hard round to be truthful, so I've either pulled it out of the bag with a miracle, or I will be happy to congratulate you later this evening.

Semi Final - Results

We’re really getting into the meat of this competition now and the four men left - @Ian, @Woody, @Jsavfc and @Cockers2505 are all one win away from a place in the Challenge Cup final. This week’s challenge was an absolute belter, especially the risk vs reward element and that particular matter cropped up in both matches this week. One of the matches was an absolute instant classic. Let’s take a look...

Ian v Woody

Transfers, Ian:
Davie Selke (£15M) - Stefan Ilsanker (£4.2M), Scott McKenna (£3.4M), Javi Manquillo (£2.3M), Frank Fabra (£1.6M), Federico Peluso (£1.3M) - Vincenzo Aridita

As you can see Ian went for the safe option in this challenge and didn’t take any points hits whilst still getting in a quality striker and a solid enough defence. He guided Watford to a 7th place finish in the Premier League, with Selke banging in 32 goals in all competitions. In a surprising turn of events though the normally watertight defence of Ian was a lot more leaky than usual, shipping 55 goals to do damage to his overall total. That total was a fairly average 42 meaning although he didn’t know it 43 was the magic number for Woody to reach the final.

Transfers, Woody:
Vincent Aboubakar (£18.5M) - Brad Smith (£6M), Ruben Gabrielsen (£3.8M), Felipe Aguilar (£3.7M), Scott McKenna (£3.2M), Victor Cuesta (£1.5M) - Emiliano Viviano

You can see from his transfers that Woody took an 8 point hit from the signing of Aboubakar. Might turn out to be worthwhile though in the end. The early signs were that it was a tight affair, with Woody matching the 7th place finish of his opponent with just a handful fewer league points. However it was Woody who had the edge at the back conceding 10 less goals than Ian!

This means that 37 goals or more from Aboubakar would be enough for a final place. But disaster struck! Injuries hit and a 2 monther did significant damage along with a couple more minor ones kept him out for too long. But tbf there wasn’t much danger anyway as he only found the net 12 times in the matches he played.

Maybe if he had stayed injury free it would’ve been a different story but Woody falls well short in the end and IAN will be participating in the final.

Result: IAN 42-18 Woody

Jsavfc v Cockers2505

As I said in the intro one of the matches was an absolute thriller and since it wasn’t the first one, here it is.

Transfers, Villa:
Niclas Fullkrug (£21M) - Jerome Roussillon (£4.7M), Benjamin Hubner (£4.5M), Dennis Deikmeier (£3.5M), Scott McKenna (£3.2M), John Souttar (£3M) - Emiliano Viviano

Transfers, Cockers:
Josef Martinez (£15M) - Cristian Zapata (£6M), Allan Nyom (£4M), John Boye (£2.5M), Lionel Carole (£1.5M), Franco Russo (£1M) - Emiliano Viviano

The first thing of note here is that Villa decided to splash a bit extra on his striker meaning he started with a 12 point deficit on Cockers. It didn’t work for Woody but Fullkrug is a top notch striker so would it pay off this time?

The early signs were that it had as Villa had the advantage in the league. He finished the best of anyone this week in 5th, two places above Cockers and 8 points to the good. Fullkrug also banged in 26 goals, compared to the 22 of Martinez for Cockers.

If you’re following that means that the two literally cannot be separated at this point. They’ve got there in different ways, but going into the goals conceded both sit on 84 points. This semi final came down to who conceded the least amount of goals in all competitions!

Villa conceded an outstanding 34 goals during the course of the season setting Cockers the target of 33 or less (Villa would qualify if they are level).

Almost unbelievably Cockers conceded 33 and qualifies for the final by the very barest of margins!!!!

Here’s the full points breakdown from this epic:

Villa: League Points 70, Striker Goals 26, Goals Conceded 34, 12 Penalty Points = 50

Cockers: League Points 62, Striker Goals 22, Goals Conceded 33, 0 Penalty Points = 51

Result: Jsavfc 50-51 COCKERS2505

So we know our finalists. They have one more challenge to look forward to with potential glory waiting at the end of it, but a huge commiserations to Woody and Villa especially Villa going out in such cruel circumstances.

The final challenge will be up on Friday.

image.png.5bc6d059c1ed651e8f54f44c7f32a5a7.png