Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games Challenge Cup 2020

1 minute ago, Foxy said:

Why not tonight?

I'm presuming he's off for one too many bevvies in the delightful area of Sunderland Suburbs 🤔

1 hour ago, Foxy said:

The graphics were done last night and yet I can’t see the update anywhere 🤔

I bet he used some lame excuse too like "oh I lost the save" 😂

15 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I bet he used some lame excuse too like "oh I lost the save" 😂

He got knocked out by Olympiacos apparently and deleted the save on purpose 

23 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

Come on guys he's heartbroken knowing Mike Ashley still owns Newcastle 🤣

Low blow , cockers , a very low blow indeed!!

41 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

Come on guys he's heartbroken knowing Mike Ashley still owns Newcastle 🤣

Thats a warning there if there ever was one 😂

1 minute ago, Woody said:

Thats a warning there if there ever was one 😂

@Woody we should petition for Cockers to be removed from the challenge cup due to unfair comments towards the opposition 😂

17 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

@Woody we should petition for Cockers to be removed from the challenge cup due to unfair comments towards the opposition 😂

Pending a full apology 😊

Challenge Cup 2020 - Qualifying Results

Good afternoon and welcome back to the Domingo Sale Thunderdome for the results of the qualifying round in the Challenge Cup. No time for any build up I’m afraid, that air time was taken up by the exciting* pilot episode of “Gardening with the Gladiator” (PPV only) so it’s straight over to Sam who has news of who has made it through to the Quarter Finals.

*horse shit

Thanks Sue. I didn’t think it was that bad of a programme myself although the host came across as a bit of a prick. Anyway let’s get straight down to it and I will be revealing the results in the order they were sent to me to give a feel of how things were looking as each score came in during the course of the week.

Results

The first score that was sent to me was that of @AdamNufc. He opted to sign world renowned Saudi bagsman Nasser Al-Shamrani as his wildcard player. It seemed a bit of a safe choice as what could go wrong between Geordies and Saudis? Well not a lot went wrong with him as he notched a very respectable 18 goals and 7 assists over the course of the season but it’s more about how many tries that equalled. It equalled 5 tries although none were converted, however the form of the team let down his score a bit. Adam could only manage to lead Wellington to 5th place and won just 11 of his 28 games in all competitions. Still though not a terrible score, especially given this is his first event, and the antics of Al-Shamrani could easily save him. Will it be enough?

AdamNufc - 63

Tournament favourite @Ian next and he demonstrated why he has those expectations over him as he was in no mood to mess about and put down a serious marker. Trequartista Bashar Rasan was Ian’s choice of wildcard. Now those of you with above average knowledge of football will know that this year’s Ballon D’Or Ceremony won’t be taking place, but it wasn’t Messi, Ronaldo, De Bruyne or Van Dijk who was the heavy favourite to win that award - it was actually Bashar Rasan and he blitzed every team in his path under Ian’s management. A colossal 38 goals and 23 assists meant that he was bound to gain a lot of points from tries which he did. 13 tries to be exact and although only one was converted this simply didn’t matter as Ian also topped the league comfortably and won 23 of his 33 games in all competitions. Great display from Ian here and immediately upon seeing it I knew that anyone who beat this total would be right up at the top end of the table.

Ian - 139
AdamNufc - 63

The third score I received was from @Cockers2505 who was looking to improve on his disappointing early exit at the Vibe World Cup. He went for some Brazilian flair up top in Rafaelson. An all time personal hero of Ronaldinho’s I believe. Almost unbelievably though he notched identical numbers to that of Adam’s wildcard, 18 goals and 7 assists, which immediately shows that this is a very important result in the race for qualification. Whoever scores higher here would have one foot in the Quarter Finals you’d feel. It was Adam who had the marginal edge from wildcard points, as Cockers notched one less try but really it went down to how he did with the team. In the end the experience of Cockers told as he performed very well with Wellington. Like Ian he topped the league comfortably, and only actually lost 5 games in total. Fairly solid performance and it’s not certain but I think this should be enough.

Ian - 139
Cockers2505 - 80
AdamNufc - 63

It was just as well that @Mr Tree got his season finished relatively quickly, at least before the second leg of the playoffs where Foxy’s prediction of Tree getting a semi may have come true earlier than anticipated. Target Man Hernan Barcos was his choice of wildcard, and unfortunately he suffered a 2 month injury halfway through the challenge which obviously impacted the points gained from this area. He could only notch 3 tries and converted 2 of them, and again this felt like an important result down at the bottom of the table. In fact the only main difference between Tree’s result and Adam’s was Tree gaining 4 more wins in all competitions which scraped his overall score past what looks at this point to be the magic number of 63. This score confirmed Cockers’ place in the knockout stages, and the score of 69 may or may not be enough for Tree, but if not there is at least some consolation that I want Brentford to win the playoff final.

Ian - 139
Cockers2505 - 80

Mr Tree - 69
AdamNufc - 63

@Kanegan and @Jsavfc then submitted within minutes of each other which is something that always appeases the vast legion of fans worldwide that religiously follow the Challenge Cup. Again, these two performances were pretty solid and not too dissimilar to what we have seen so far. They couldn’t have taken more opposing approaches though, Kane choosing Target Man Alen Melunovic with Villa opting for the more tricky Uruguayan Adrian Luna. Luna scored a nice 5 tries, 2 of which were converted and although he struggled a bit in the league Villa managed to win exactly half of his games over the course of the season to match Cockers’ total of 80. Kane only managed 3 tries but performed admirably with the team. In fact he performed the best in the league out of anybody this week, winning it with ease. Just 5 defeats over the course of the season gave him a very solid base and he made the most of it. It’s job done for both of these and they will both be appearing in the next round.

Ian - 139
Kanegan - 88
Cockers2505 - 80*
Jsavfc - 80

Mr Tree - 69
AdamNufc - 63

Now onto a man clearly motivated by the typically disgusting and disrespectful odds provided by FoxBet in @gunnersaur. Now this was a performance and a half. Gustavo was his wildcard player and he managed 5 tries, just 2 converted though so he clearly didn’t have Ronan O’Gara taking the conversions. 5 tries seems to be around the mean total but Gunnersaur managed a terrific showing with the team. Not only did he win the league but he also notched 22 wins in all competitions with just 5 defeats to breach the 3 figure mark. Straight through to the quarters and I don’t think he will be 100/1 any more come the next look at the odds. This result also means Tree and Adam have every right to be worried about their positions in the next round with only 3 results to come; Tree still needs a score below his whereas Adam needs 2.

Ian - 139
Gunnersaur - 101
Kanegan - 88
Cockers2505 - 80*
Jsavfc - 80

Mr Tree - 69
AdamNufc - 63

When needing someone to put in a poor showing to finish below you then @smoggy90 isn’t really the result you would want to see coming in next as he has shown a high level of consistency during his tournament performances so far. The new VWC champion took a trip to Africa and more specifically Togo to pick his wildcard player in Lalawele Atakora. Atakora scored 6 tries for Smog and 2 of those were converted. Like many others he managed to top the league although it wasn’t a walk in the park but overall it was an all round solid performance for qualifying and Smog went straight through with what was at the time the 3rd highest score of the round. Rumour has it Neil Warnock was watching on during this performance with a wide grin on his face.

Ian - 139
Gunnersaur - 101
smoggy90 - 95
Kanegan - 88
Cockers2505 - 80*
Jsavfc - 80

Mr Tree - 69
AdamNufc - 63

Two results left and you all already know that Woody as usual left it until the last minute so the next result belonged to the “chicken sandwich” @broodje kip. Now if you’re following you know that Adam needs both Sandwich and Woody to score lower than 63 for him to go through whereas Tree needs one of them below his total. He went for Tunisian playmaker Tijani Belaid as his wildcard and in incredible turn of events he went over the line a total of 0 times and secured no tries at all 😱. What a disaster! Maybe he needs to change the filling of that sandwich. A bit of respectability was restored with his team performance, coming 2nd in the league but in the end it wasn’t enough as really the damage was done with the performance of his wildcard. Sandwich is unfortunately the first man to depart the competition, may I point out that Foxy predicted he would top the qualifying table, and all of a sudden Adam has a lifeline and Tree is through to the quarters.

Ian - 139
Gunnersaur - 101
smoggy90 - 95
Kanegan - 88
Cockers2505 - 80*
Jsavfc - 80
Mr Tree - 69

AdamNufc - 63
broodje kip - 51

So effectively it is became a straight knockout between the two Newcastle faithful in the tournament. If you saw my post at around 10 to 5 yesterday then you’ll know that this was very nearly uncontested with Woody providing his closest shave yet with Adam just over a minute away from going straight through. But all that mattered was that the results were in on time, and it became clear almost instantly that surpassing 63 was not going to be a problem for Woody. 7 tries was the second highest of the week, and 17 wins in all competitions meant that Woody actually put in a very decent showing to finish in the top half of the pack and unfortunately for Adam eliminate him from proceedings.

Results in Full

*Cockers and Villa both scored 80 points, Cockers finishes higher as he had more league points, which was the tiebreaker if needed.

image.thumb.png.0f7818959c0d0b95920a7b9168d6776c.png

And let’s take a look at the tournament tree and all 8 remaining competitors potential route to glory.

image.thumb.png.2dee4e6a3b278bb3e72e3b1a2513426f.png

That concludes the results show for the qualifying round of the Challenge Cup. Back over to the Thunderdome where Sue can wrap up proceedings.

Yes thanks Sam and thank you everybody for joining us today. That will be all from us and we’ll next see you for the preview of the Quar... Hang on... *Hand to ear* I’m just hearing that in a major setback @Foxy is here again to give his thoughts on how qualifying went. Jesus Christ. Nobody wants to see this.

Hi Foxy please give us your thoughts on how you thought qualifying went. As quickly as possible.

Thanks Sue.

Well what a qualifying round that was!

The least surprising thing was Woody only just getting his results in with seconds to spare and he will be relieved to have cruised through other wise that would have been two disasters today wouldn’t it Woody 😉

Although Ian had the top score this week it was definitely Gunnarsaur who turned a few heads with his 101pts total and surely the 100/1 odds put on him by FoxBet at the start of the event will be slashed in the next 24hrs as punters start to back the debutante.

At the beginning of the week many of the experts were expecting big things from sandwich and the bookies will be rubbing there hands to see him crash out at the first stage after some promising performances in the VWC had led to a lot of money being backed on him. The other person to go home is Adam who was in his first Vibe event and I’m sure will have learnt plenty from his brief appearance and there is always the potential for a Saudi takeover before the next Vibe event which could help him challenge.

Ian lived up to the favourites tag with a strong performance but few would have expected to see him so dominant this week and he will be hoping he hasn’t blown his load too early in this event. There wasn’t much between everyone else as only 15pts separated Smog in 3rd and Cockers and Villa in 6th and 7th.

Tree will be relieved to have just done enough to make the quarter final and he will be now looking to live up to his own prediction that he will knock Ian out at that stage on his way to the title.

Nightmare! Was a hard first challenge but really enjoyed it ! Tho I do demand a recount of @Woody 90 seconds before deadline as I believe he may have just past it 😉

Jokes aside really enjoyed my first competition with vibe and I guess the consolation is I didn't finish rock bottom and was only a converted try away from qualifying ☹️

Thanks for hosting @samhardy and I will watch with interest how the rest of you all get on! 

Good Luck to the last 8 😀

Edited by AdamNufc

Oh wow that’s some nice score from everyone. Congrats to @AdamNufc I’m cheering for you all the way trough this competition. Don’t let me down!

It seems like I’m a better predictor than @Foxy here’s a prove

D79C98FA-E452-47E2-BF27-090BFC4A62E9.thumb.jpeg.a8d834520540ba2ae65fd121d75de88b.jpeg

1 minute ago, broodje kip said:

Oh wow that’s some nice score from everyone. Congrats to @AdamNufc I’m cheering for you all the way trough this competition. Don’t let me down!

It seems like I’m a better predictor than @Foxy here’s a prove

D79C98FA-E452-47E2-BF27-090BFC4A62E9.thumb.jpeg.a8d834520540ba2ae65fd121d75de88b.jpeg

Considering we both didn't qualify unless there's been a HUGE FIX , I would not be cheering me on @broodje kip haha 😂

16 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Considering we both didn't qualify unless there's been a HUGE FIX , I would not be cheering me on @broodje kip haha 😂

Oh man it seems like I read the rules wrong again 🤦

:D there's quite a skill to finishing exactly 8th (and knowing that Ian would finish first). I'm not one to employ mind games.... But I sense a little worry from the VPL champ and bookmakers' darling...

Well done all and commiserations to those that didn’t quite manage to qualify.

Very enjoyable write up @samhardy and hopefully @Foxy isn’t right and I haven’t fired my load too early but if I have I have 😂

My guy was brilliant and I was fairly confident that he would be decent for goals but assists I wasn’t so sure of so I think we have to thank our striker Jovic or Juric who was a great target man which helped us in that area.

Rasan is the main man I have to thank though as he was very dominant in this league and non more so than in these games where he performed so well but didn’t pick up a try. The December one I just kept him on late so he could hopefully get the assist but he scored again instead and that probably cost us the cup final a few days later as he was then too tired to play in it.

Spoiler

2625933E-9817-402D-9555-5388BFCC9E35.thumb.jpeg.6393af4d5387c26fec18c2b75e4a39c6.jpeg
802D7B43-AD00-4C95-BE0B-0D959ACE1D73.thumb.jpeg.1cce2a6cfc203d1babf802ce45876a4c.jpeg

Anyway, a very enjoyable challenge and I look forward to my encounter with @Mr Tree in the next round. 

Rumour has it that, with Vibe's continual spirit of innovation and unconventionality, the quarter-finals will be based around Tuesday's big game and a heart-rate monitor........ Semi-finals, here I come!

Great write up Sam and well played everyone! Love the weird and wonderful names that crop up in these competitions, roll on the next round.