Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career The Three Vieri's - A DT Adventure [Completed]

Scratch

Update - Season 1

The first season is in the bag and it was a load of fun. A new league, new strikers, and of course new tactics got me as excited about FMM as I have been in years.

But, as fun as it was, we're here for goals and I'm famous for my now traditional slow starts. Would this career be any different?

Being At A Top Club

This is the first time I've done a long term career at a top club (in a top league and starting in the CL) and it was quite an interesting experience.

For the first time I had decent players at my disposal from the start, but it was hard to not follow my normal process of doing a total rebuild. Inter had a lot of older players who had to go, but I probably sold a few players I could have kept, just out of habit.

Likewise, I found it hard to buy a higher level of player. For example: I almost bought Foden, but baulked at his £325K wage demands. He's good, but not that much better than players I can get on 10% of that. In the end, I bought mostly familiar players. That said, I went for players that are harder to get in the latest version (Tonali) and ones I generally can't get until a couple of seasons in (Hernandez).

It also felt like the youngsters developed much more quickly than in previous careers at places like Celtic, PAOK, etc, and even more quickly than at Newcastle - I guess that while the EPL is a slightly higher level than Serie A, Inter is several notches above Newcastle?

Transfers

Being the first season, there was a lot of business:

Spoiler

the-three-vieris-season01-16.jpg.241c25dc784e45faf4b4b3ad898c68be.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-17.jpg.759f3111d1c6350a2ef308b1cd5a190e.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-18.jpg.23e14bf58915b9fdcfdaf9b4c40f0af1.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-19.jpg.ce2b1556a5207d141e4116aad91803bb.jpg

As mentioned above, I cleared out all the older players (including some legends like Godin) and some I wasn't 100% sold on. Only one player left against my wishes: Martinez was my 4th striker, but some big clubs triggered his escape clause in January and I lost him. Lucky for me Barbosa came back from loan in January, and slotted nicely into that role.

Coming in were a bunch of players. I generally tried to go with players that were flexible enough to play in different positions depending on the formation I used. For eg, Hernandez can play any of the positions down the left (and I used used all of them at some point in my tactics). Vignato was a departure from that approach, but a) he is Italian and I want the best young Italians at Inter; and b) I know he can cross (1K assists for me in the past) and with our main strikers being strong in the air he seemed like a useful player to have.

Tactics

I experimented a lot this season before settling on these two formations (mentioned in a separate post above):

Spoiler

the-three-vieris-season00-04.jpg

the-three-vieris-season00-05.jpg

They were odd, but worked well. They seemed to give enough cover defensively that we didn't let through many goals, while at the same time providing several paths to goal: through the middle; from the right wing and even from the left wing at times.

Given that we have strikers who are likely to be good in the air, I didn't want to lose the dedicated AMR winger which has worked so well for me in the past. My first formation was 3 2 3 2 with wingbacks instead of wingers and while that provided some crosses, it wasn't to the level I wanted. So I went with the asymmetric formations to fit it in.

Spoiler alert: we didn't score that many goals, but there were quite a few crosses coming in from the right (although in some games the winger was closed right down). I think as our wingers get better at Crossing and our strikers get better at Aerial, this will pay off, but we'll have to wait and see.

Results

In what's now my signature move, we started poorly in the league (4 points from our first 4 games), but improved a lot as the players levelled up. We were in the top 4 by January and then went on a run that saw us win the league by 7 points, though we only scored 60 goals which is not enough.

As for the cups, we made the final of both the Italian Cup and the Champions League. I'll leave you to see the screenshots to see which ones we won:

Spoiler

the-three-vieris-season01-12.jpg.6cc77029476058d05e5427f3ceda457d.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-10.jpg.2e9c3c73f4031eb426136fdceeafc5b8.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-11.jpg.683e06835b95f601cf0b6557ee88fd77.jpg

Neither! But not bad all things considered.

All in all, I probably couldn't ask for much more for the first season.

Injuries and Availability

Cutrone fared worst, with a 3 week injury, a 10 day injury and a match only injury. Esposito had a 2 week injury, while Pellegri got off injury free.

Spoiler

the-three-vieris-season01-01.jpg.90173e23d2fe841ecfcb4511b3232fa7.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-03.jpg.c54193ce804b120fa917ba187c4e1e55.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-04.jpg.a5437a480853a43f014866d72ecba462.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-09.jpg.bd741709b80ae99684c9644ed6b7b2f6.jpg

Development

As I mentioned above, it felt like development was faster than any of my other careers. That said Cutrone seemed to improve more slowly than the other two, maybe because of the injuries, maybe because he's slightly older, or maybe he just doesn't have as much growth in him.

Anyway, here's what they look like at the end of the season and there is still more to come.

the-three-vieris-season01-20.jpg.5e5152b57b84b634b8678108e6962dbe.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-22.jpg.84adc073e72a6427e179c30d61573678.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-24.jpg.377c3b4b7a9e8d656e1a14fcf92831b0.jpg

Goals

As mentioned a slow start for the lads:

• Pellegri scored 20 goals from 49 games

• Esposito scored 14 goals from 44 games

• Cutrone scored 20 goals from 47 games

Spoiler

the-three-vieris-season01-21.jpg.17ee36301344e244424fb6ecb5308acb.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-23.jpg.72e41f602914dd4c498418f52e8564f5.jpg

the-three-vieris-season01-25.jpg.c935aff211286e069ef07cd524620e56.jpg

Totals

Season Pellegri Esposito Cutrone DT Total TT Total
01 20 14 20 34 54
Total 20 14 20 34/1200 54/1500

A fairly slow start. But then are you surprised?

Final Thoughts

In my saves, season 2 generally sees the number of goals double. I hope that holds true here, as we really need to be scoring a lot more than we did this season! It's going to be a long lonely save if we can't kick this up a large notch. But I think we'll be fine... 🤞

Edited by Scratch

Well a slow start indeed but hopefully things pick up next season. Of course Pellegri and Esposito are pretty good guys but i am more interested to see how Cutrone performs.

14 minutes ago, Kanegan said:

Well a slow start indeed but hopefully things pick up next season. Of course Pellegri and Esposito are pretty good guys but i am more interested to see how Cutrone performs.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the goals will pick up a lot, just like all my careers. Cutrone started the season as the clear number 1, but I think the other lads have already passed him. And they are my DT strikers so Cutrone will be the back up later on (for now it's still a pretty even rotation).

Honestly though I'd be surprised if he was anywhere near as good as them. It seems to me that if you have top facilities and good coaches then youngsters will end up much better than any already developed (even partially) striker in the game. It feels like the balance is off a little and should be dialled back. Although that would take the enjoyment out of the game!

16 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Not waht you wanted, but its a long career and you'll be banging a hatful every game very soon. Good luck in season 2.

Thanks mate - yeah probably not what I wanted, but pretty much what I expected. Happens every time for me. For eg, in my last career, the team got 58 goals in the first season and 125 in the second season. And similar in the careers before that. I throw a lot of youngsters in the first season and they need time to level up and then everything clicks...

Edited by Scratch

I love the fact that your strikers first season got as much as I would for a 1kc despite you playing 3 up top. I’m seeing some great total coming

13 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

I love the fact that your strikers first season got as much as I would for a 1kc despite you playing 3 up top. I’m seeing some great total coming

Thanks mate. I'm actually playing 2 up front as the DT rules say you have to have 2 up front, but the TT rules don't say that you use 3 up front. 

I genuinely don't know how this will go, because it's so different from my tried and trusty 1 up front tactic.

That said, I'm playing around with a tactic that's really similar to my 1 up front one. Basically it's the same but with the extra striker at the expense of one of the midfield (so only 2 in the middle instead of 3). I'm using Defensive just like my 1 up front tactic, to push it to the wings, and it's going pretty good so far, definitely more goals than last season. However, when I play against teams with 3 in the middle they generally overrun us and we ship more goals. Not sure I will stick with it, but giving it a go...

10 hours ago, smoggy90 said:

Solid start mate and a nice base to start whilst you still perfect your tactic. Look forward to season 2. 

Thanks mate, yep onwards and upwards from here...

7 hours ago, Ian said:

They’re still really young and with it being the opening season I’d say it’s a good return.

Interesting system too.

Thanks mate. In season 2 I've gone back to a fairly standard 4 2 2 2 with wingers. I've gone with Defensive (of course!) and most of the other instructions from my 4 3 2 1 tactic, and it seems to be work well:

image.thumb.png.ba5920996dfc692c5b01f37d645939c0.png

LoL, that result's an exception, but it's getting us almost 3 goals a game and mostly to the strikers, so I'll stick with it for now, but will keep experimenting. It seems to work gang busters against the 3 4 3 (above), but not at all against any formation with 3 CMs... So still a work in progress.

Cracking result against Juve, you made Turin your stomping ground. Nice to hear your finding some form of consistency already, I look forward to the full report. 

Edited by Aaron Thornton
Spelling mistake (it's sort of OCD) 😔
1 minute ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Cracking result against Juve, you made Turin your stomping ground. Nice to hear your finding some from of consistency already, I look forward to the full report. 

Thanks mate, they're definitely not all like that (I posted that one somewhat tongue in cheek), but it's definitely going a lot better this season. 

Update - Season 2

We had a slow start in season 1 (34 DT goals / 54 TT goals), but I have a track record of doing MUCH better in season 2 and I'll be looking to at least double those numbers this time around. Anything less will be a failure.

The ITN Job

The ITN job came up in the off season and I duly applied. Unfortunately, the Italian FA decided to give the job to Simone Inzaghi for some reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I'll have to bide my time and try again in a couple of years. 

Transfers

Here are the transfers from this season:

Spoiler

three-vieris-season02-32.jpg.bd2c1d22cc2cccfa37abade190c77456.jpg

three-vieris-season02-33.jpg.6a8072b880d02aa911f7d496120df4b8.jpg

three-vieris-season02-34.jpg.00b4a2b97e1e33ddfff6369824897a23.jpg

three-vieris-season02-35.jpg.c7a3854f8c0cd8fe3de516f645f3b2b5.jpg

three-vieris-season02-36.jpg.64b10a9d20b8c042058e61ec4ba560df.jpg

• There were a lot of players going out because most of the on-loan players coming back to the club needed selling.
  • We sold Barbosa (our 4th striker) and the returning Icardi, because Pinamonti and Colidio both came back from their loan stints. I did a 1KC with both these lads and also started an abandoned 2x1KC PinaColada career, so I'm pretty happy to have them as back up.
  • Unfortunately de Vrij had to go because underperformed. He was our worst rated CD in season 1, which was really disappointing as I thought he'd be great.
  • We also sold starting keeper Handovic (35 years old) and starting midfielder Brozovic (28 years old) because they got injured a few times and lost some attributes. At their respective ages, the attributes weren't coming back fast.
  • Coming in were a couple of big purchases that I normally don't get to make this early (or at all): Havertz and Bailey.
  • We also bought Fati and a few players we'd had on loan with an agreement to buy (Barella and Sensi). The rest are young prospects (ie regens, although I don't know who of).
  • I tried to buy van Dijk for £209M but couldn't afford his wages (425K). You win some you lose some.

Tactics

Last season I used those weird asymmetric formations, but this season I reverted to a much more standard formation:

three-vieris-season02-05.jpg.61ba502bfa5091118fbd91d31577e469.jpg

I played with a Defensive mindset, Narrow width, Short Passing, Running at the Defence and Working it into the Box. Basically I went right back to my tried and true 4 3 2 1 tactic, just with one of the midfielders up front instead.

It worked really well as you'll see below, having most of the same advantages of my old tactic: Defensively sound (only 15 conceded in the league), while scoring enough goals (101 in the league), most of which are funnelled through the strikers.

It's not as great as the old one in providing assists to the wingers: With the 1 up front model, the winger gets the ball and only has one place to put it. With the 2 up front model, they sometimes they go short to the near striker, who then gets the assist by passing it to the other striker. I think there is more to it than that, ie the dynamic has changed for other reasons too, but I haven't pinned it down yet.

The tactic doesn't work against teams who play 3 central midfielders (in the CM line), so I generally push one of the CDs up to DMC and go attacking instead of defensive. It does seem to work wonders against 3 4 3 formations - Juve stepped to us with that and we beat them 8-0!

Anyway, it worked well for this season, but I may try something more attacking next season.

Results

We won the league again, this time by 22 points and with 101 goals in the For column. We also rectified last season's Italian Cup Final and Champions League Final losses, winning both this time around: 2-0 over Roma in the Italian Cup and 2-0 over Atletico in the CL.

Worth mentioning that the lads claimed the top 3 spots in the CL Golden Boot award.

Spoiler

three-vieris-season02-29.jpg.e8d9215edceb7abf7c01ae97e7cdb599.jpg

three-vieris-season02-28.jpg.e3fcb74874a07488375a54e19a08fa59.jpg

three-vieris-season02-30.jpg.1c393f1e97d7019293358050c3a892fe.jpg

three-vieris-season02-45.jpg.5456649c3d3a3c68ec13983456b7a78a.jpg

Rinse and repeat from here on in. Also, I write this, the End of Season event has just occurred, but we have a date with Tottenham in the Club World Championship semi final waiting for us. Hopefully another trophy coming our way!

A great season injury wise, with only Pellegri getting injured (3 weeks):

Spoiler

three-vieris-season02-20.jpg.c6ffd5df1aab94a8d4640f972362ec98.jpg

Can't ask for anything more than that. Worth noting that Esposito is very rarely injured, which is great.

Development

Anyway, here's what they look like at the end of the season:

three-vieris-season02-39.jpg.a6ab71af962ece68978760a2824dceb8.jpg

three-vieris-season02-41.jpg.5cc0eba13c9efb0a34e72fa78fc56a62.jpg

three-vieris-season02-43.jpg.b88129d3d1523e56d2d93cf6752adb9c.jpg

Nice improvements all round, although that last update for Esposito was a little frustrating - the Pace increment was from earlier, so it was just Creativity, Positioning, Tackling and Crossing. I'd give them all back for 1 point of Aerial or Movement...

Goals

The lads kicked it up a notch:

• Pellegri scored 40 goals from 49 games

• Esposito scored 48 goals from 52 games

• Cutrone scored 33 goals from 57 games

Spoiler

three-vieris-season02-51.jpg.21affcdcf5c185b522814bf738ee0c25.jpg

three-vieris-season02-52.jpg.18b2adb142e8f9edce4327866ab0b7ee.jpg

three-vieris-season02-53.jpg.10b62b04a2353820062381c57446d9c6.jpg

Esposito was clearly our best striker in the first half of the season (and made the World XI), while Pellegri really struggled. Then they swapped over and Pellegri was on fire. He scored 6 in 3 World Club Championship games just before the season end, making his total look a lot better than it was. Cutrone is now the third wheel and getting less game time than the others.

Totals

01 20 14 20 34 54
02 40 48 33 88 121
Total 60 62 53 122/1200 175/1500

Looking much better now.

Looking Forward

So, we delivered on doubling the season 1 numbers, which will be no surprise to anyone who's seen any of my recent saves. The question now is whether we can ramp it up even further. The answer will surely be "yes" given the players (and the team) will continue improving. But how much?

At this point I'm thinking of going adventurous, tactics-wise, and trading the tight defence for some more goals up front. Time will tell whether I find something that I can make work and leads to more goals for the strikers (as opposed to just more goals). If I can't, I think the current tactic will be good enough.

Edited by Scratch
7 hours ago, Kanegan said:

Now that's much better. Good sophomore season. 

Thanks mate. Yeah it was a lot better, but my first season always suck... Season 3 is going ... interesting. Have a much more attacking tactic and more goals, but I think it's about the same amount for the strikers...

Excellent second season and just like you thought it could be with a big jump up in goals.

It’ll be interesting seeing what kind of totals they hit when they reach their peak.

Excellent second season.

It is interesting that you are tweaking tactics. I find a DT tactic much, much, much harder than even a TT tactic, so it’ll be interesting how you manage to crack the nut with your tweaks. Good luck!

18 hours ago, Ian said:

Excellent second season and just like you thought it could be with a big jump up in goals.

It’ll be interesting seeing what kind of totals they hit when they reach their peak.

Thanks mate. It's looking like we'll jump again thanks to the tactics I'm playing around with. By the time they reach their peak it's gonna be massive. This is going much much better than I thought it would because I could never get a 2 upfront tactic to work. Gonna show what I'm using in a mini update shortly.

17 hours ago, Rob said:

Excellent second season.

It is interesting that you are tweaking tactics. I find a DT tactic much, much, much harder than even a TT tactic, so it’ll be interesting how you manage to crack the nut with your tweaks. Good luck!

Thanks mate. I used to be the same, never could get a two striker tactic working in past versions, but right now it it's going great guns. Will share what I'm doing shortly. I think it comes down to the old "when your squad is next level, any tactic will work" thing.

Mini Update - Crazy Tactic

So, I've been trying out this crazy tactic and it's working really really well (using Attacking, Short, Run with the Ball , Play into the Box):

three-vieris-season02a-06.jpg.e58d5775ffab1dec9059b30ed064a414.jpg

How well you ask? This well:

three-vieris-season02a-05.jpg.ef29598c492d50c4026bdc85fe0e5976.jpg

It's got enough defensively that weaker teams have trouble scoring (maybe they are too busy picking the ball out of their own net), while stronger teams can score, but you are still likely to outscore them. That draw is the only time we haven't won in the league - after 25 games we have 105 goals for and only 19 against.

More of the goals go to other players than my previous tactics, but the strikers ARE scoring more than they were with those. We are on track for a big jump in goals again this year.

This tactic seems to get more penalties than I've ever had before, and still gets a lot crosses and corners for Vignato to provide assists. Sometimes the AP or the BBM or even the middle CM start taking too many shots and I tweak the position (for that game), but generally they are fairly well behaved. 

I did try a couple of other tactics that were a little more symmetrical, such as these:

Spoiler

three-vieris-season02a-02.jpg.8850dcd754559b1f794694a3dd2b9baa.jpg

three-vieris-season02a-01.jpg.051e08a64c277357bf408dff10db5746.jpg

And they both did really well (maybe slightly more goals for the strikers, but slightly less goals overall), but were not as consistent as the one above, so I keep going back to that.

However, the fact those works tells me that it's not the tactic that is super special, just that our squad is now world class enough to make any tactic work... 

9 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Lovely score that mate. KIU

Thanks mate, gonna be much higher this year too. It's still Feb and we've passed last years DT score and getting close the TT one... I am literally beside myself with how well these more attacking tactics are going. I sorta feel like I've broken the game...

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Love the tactic. Asymmetric is where it’s at! The game is all about angles and space. 

Yeah, definitely seems to work. I don't like looking at it though! 🤣

I never would have come up with this without the constraint of trying to fit in the AMR position. I've been through a number of iterations, all trying to work out the best way of doing that with a 2 up front formation...

Update - Season 3

I've spoiled this season somewhat in the tactics post above - it was a cracker with far more goals than I've ever scored in FMM. Now I understand how some of you score so many goals and I'm wondering why I stuck to my boring Defensive tactic for so long (though to be fair that is still number 1 for assists).

So how much better was this season? Read on to find out...

Transfers

Not so many transfers this season:

Spoiler

three-vieris-season03-35.jpg.9ed7a98ad60d42d4d0022ab756142edb.jpg

three-vieris-season03-36.jpg.e5a2c6e4b8971c733947e58ade4c4939.jpg

three-vieris-season03-37.jpg.7845bd3bad244d775e080ea68aaef1c5.jpg

We sold some fringe players, signed Donnarumma on a Bosman, brought in Milenkovic as a back up central defender, and bought a few youngsters for our reserves.

Tactics

I won't repeat it here, as there is a run down a few posts above this.

Results

We won everything, although not as convincingly as you might expect given me raving about the tactic above:

• We won the Club World Championship before the start of the season, beating Liverpool 1-0 in the final against the run of play (they were hammering us). That was after we beat Tottenham 4-1 in the semi, but the tactic just didn't work as well against Liverpool for some reason.

• We won the Euro Super Cup, beating Man Utd 3-2.

• We won the Italian Super Cup, beating Roma 5-3 in extra time, after they'd led for most of the match before we snatched an injury time equalizer.

• We won the Italian Cup, beating Napoli 1-0 in the final (but should have been more, with 24 shots to 8).

• We won the league, scoring 153 goals while letting in 31 goals. My target was 154 goals, which is an average of 4 per game, but we dropped off near the end of the season and fizzled to a final day 2-2 draw leaving us one goal short.

• We won the Champions League, beating Man Utd 2-0 in the final.

Spoiler

three-vieris-season03-01.jpg.4189a7862d0a266658ab7b84c58c926d.jpg

three-vieris-season03-02.jpg.63861ca278c32e299a313b9338d59daf.jpg

three-vieris-season03-04.jpg.44ae7513cdd08f241291fd7be09a5949.jpg

three-vieris-season03-22.jpg.5244a2a044a1cf02c8104bf376ded5a4.jpg

three-vieris-season03-29.jpg.b43624a8c14ae58cc80a71fbbde67bea.jpg

three-vieris-season03-31.jpg.d125191eed5d407179ba626acb26586f.jpg

three-vieris-season03-32.jpg.a7daf1c6d58549d378450d0624186a4d.jpg

All in all, an excellent season, but our performances really dropped off near the end. The lads were always slightly tired and we just lost our buzz. Apart from that, the tactic works great against average teams with lots of 7-0's etc, but it's much tighter against good opponents.

For the second season in a row, Esposito and Cutrone escaped injury, but Pellegri picked up two: one for a month and one for 2 weeks.

Spoiler

three-vieris-season03-08.jpg.23b0df91836285316a07fd559e531f53.jpg

three-vieris-season03-23.jpg.3551c51ad9f96c0a08e385fb30e0519c.jpg

Development

Here's what they look like at the end of the season:

three-vieris-season03-40.jpg.61d1a1b3dd4e67f4eed307a3ab44ebfa.jpg

three-vieris-season03-42.jpg.3310070cf38607eef90190373816d30a.jpg

three-vieris-season03-44.jpg.9c31f93254e1c8eb6e9a60a6815cef10.jpg

Decent steps forward for Esposito and Cutrone, not much improvement for Pellegri. They are all still making tiny steps forward in their development points, but must be close to maxing out now.

Goals

Lots of goals this season:

• Pellegri scored 61 goals from 46 games

• Esposito scored 61 goals from 53 games

• Cutrone scored 31 goals from 57 games

Spoiler

three-vieris-season03-41.jpg.eb3b1204444b3858aa185fb9c31ae74f.jpg

three-vieris-season03-43.jpg.a5bc555c450b227a357314b631ab16bd.jpg

three-vieris-season03-45.jpg.d6db66b8876a6a5f2595483209d89910.jpg

Totals

01 20 14 20 34 54
02 40 48 33 88 121
03 61 61 31 122 153
Total 121 123 84 244/1200 328/1500

Looking Forward

This was a great season and if the guys can keep delivering at this rate, we'll be done in 8 more seasons. That's much faster than I thought it would be.

As for next season, I'll work on improving the squad a little (though it's hard to buy better players than we have now) and I'll aim for the 154 league goal mark (average of 4gpg).

Edited by Scratch