Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career The Three Vieri's - A DT Adventure [Completed]

Scratch

I think I've worked out what my next save will be.

It's going to be in a league I haven't played in. I'll be doing two challenges at once, neither of which I've done before. And I'll be using 3 strikers that you will all know, but whom I've never used before...

Will write up the details in the next day or two when I get the chance. Really just adding this here so I can't change my mind! 😄

Edited by Scratch
30 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Ermmm @Scratch hang on mate , you told me you were going to do the 1KC with Joelinton remember? 🤪

I already did the 1KC with him - 1000 goalless games. But it was a bit too boring / mind numbing to post... 🤣

17 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I already did the 1KC with him - 1000 goalless games. But it was a bit too boring / mind numbing to post... 🤣

Sounds like him in real life 

25 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Sounds like him in real life 

Exactly... 🙁

added 0 minutes later
17 minutes ago, Alistair 3432 said:

I think it is going to be australia or italy just a random guess

Yep, I guess you worked that out from the Vieri part? Indeed it will be in Italy! 🙂

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Ooohhh a TT. Me likies!

Yep! And a DT at the same time. Both of which are my first... I have to have a two up front strategy for the DT, but the TT doesn't specify the format, so I should be able to do both at once, with the third striker coming off the bench. I checked with Foxy and he thought ii okay, but if anyone sees a problem with that, please let me know!

1 hour ago, Foxy said:

With Inter?

Yep! I originally wanted to do it with Lazio which are the team I like best (and also a Vieri club), but honestly, I couldn't look at those purple on blue headings for 15 seasons... If it had been white on blue, I'd have gone with them.

Then it was almost The Three Batistuta's for a while, but Italy seems full of old players and players on loan, and Fiorentina would have been a major rebuild with the same players I use at Celtic or PAOK or LA Galaxy. Almost went with Genoa purely so I could get my hands on Pinamonti who's on loan there, but that would have been an even bigger rebuild.

Might come back to both these clubs in future, but for now I decided to go with a bigger club - might seem boring, but I can't remember ever starting a save with a CL club in a big league (oh, PSG in my Mitrovic to score 80 in in a single season save a few years back). I'll probably still sell the oldies and buy kids, LOL, can't help myself.

1 hour ago, broodje kip said:

Excited to see your Atalantities

Nah, see above, but I did briefly look at Atlanta. I like their style. 😄

36 minutes ago, Ian said:

Good luck. I think you’ll like it in Italy, I certainly do and always find it a great league for goals. 

Thanks mate, I've never played there because I always thought it was hard to score goals (based off real life 20 years ago!). But I've always had a soft spot for Italy - I remember watching the ITN team in the 1982 World Cup as a kid and then at some point in the 90s (I think) I used to play a very basic football management game that was based in Italy. So about time I took the league for a spin in FMM...

I think this is a very clever and unique concept, maximising substitutions, conditioning, and the like.

added 0 minutes later

(And it’ll surely allow those players to qualify for 1kcs too?)

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

I think this is a very clever and unique concept, maximising substitutions, conditioning, and the like.

added 0 minutes later

(And it’ll surely allow those players to qualify for 1kcs too?)

Oh yeah. I forgot about the 1KCs... I might pick one or two up. But 1KCs, I've got a collection of them out the back somewhere, don't really need too many more of those, so this is all about the DT and the TT... 🤣

20 hours ago, smoggy90 said:

Look forward to this mate, I think you’ll enjoy Italy. 

Thanks mate. Played a few months already and enjoying it so far. Finding a 2 upfront tactic isn't going as badly as I thought, so once I've tweaked that and the players have levelled up a bit and I think there will be a lot of goals...

added 0 minutes later
20 hours ago, Kanegan said:

Looking forward to this. I had a very fun strikerless 1.5K with Zaniolo in Roma in 2019. It's pretty fun to play in.

Thanks mate. Fun so far, can't believe I haven't tried it before...

Intro

Yes, that's right, I'm heading to Inter in Serie A to pay homage to this man:

image.png.9015cf56f237ef20dc1b11f85de5355f.png

One of my favourite players, Christian Vieri. He had everything - he was fast, strong, great with his feet, as well as in the air. He played for a bunch of clubs, but Inter was the one he's synonymous with. 

My one regret is that Vieri chose to play for Italy, instead of for Australia as his brother Max did. You see, although he was born in Italy, he grew up in Australia. His all time sporting hero? Former Aussie cricket captain, Allan Border. He's true blue mate. 

Anyway, I'm planning to do the Double Trouble challenge as well as the Triple Threat challenge, so having one Vieri won't be enough. I'm going to need three!

They have to be Italian, they have to be capable of developing into Vieri clones (fast, powerful, skilfull, etc). In short, they need to be little Vieri's... I settled on this trio, none of which I've ever used before, although I'm sure you will all be familiar with them:

the-three-vieris-season00-02.jpg.a0a041dd6c60c1fa65e7919d65e7234f.jpg

the-three-vieris-season00-01.jpg.81d5e824aeeb01f133323255f8ad5632.jpg

the-three-vieris-season00-03.jpg.5b18533393806e7935d7104e244d6a77.jpg

All of these guys fit the bill.

Cutrone is on loan at Fiorentina in the March DB and can't be recalled, so I had to use the November DB. 

He's also a little older than the other two, which will probably be useful in the early stages, until the other two level up a bit. The trade off is that he will slow down before them. I'm not sure how much development is left in him, so I'm going to focus on Pellegri and Esposito for the DT and make Cutroni the third wheel for the TT. 

As the DT requires a two upfront formation, that's what I'll go with. Two of the lads will play, with the other coming off the bench. 

That was actually the clincher for me with this career. I don't really want a long career at this point, but I do want something that forces me to use a different tactic. I always end up going back to my old faithful tactic because it works. But this time around, I can't. So it's back to the drawing board. I've tried about 7 formations so far, some of them pretty odd... Exciting times!

Edited by Scratch
8 minutes ago, Ian said:

I had no idea Vieri grew up in Australia to be honest, interesting  

Hopefully these three can live up to their billing.

Good luck.

And thats how got the austrilia part

20 hours ago, broodje kip said:

Try moves your CB to Striker leaving only one to defend

Yeah, I might give that a go. I've done it before (along with other things like 2 0 5 1 2), but generally not this early in the save as the team aren't good enough yet to really pull it off.

added 0 minutes later
20 hours ago, Rob said:

I am looking forward to this. 

Thanks mate. That makes two of us! 😄

added 0 minutes later
19 hours ago, AdamNufc said:

Going to be a good read! Good Luck

Thanks mate!

added 0 minutes later
19 hours ago, Kanegan said:

This will be good. Riding on the Vieri train now. 

Thanks mate! 

14 hours ago, Ian said:

I had no idea Vieri grew up in Australia to be honest, interesting  

Hopefully these three can live up to their billing.

Good luck.

Yeah, most people don't know that, but for us Aussies, he's the one that got away... 😄

I have a good feeling about Pellegri and Esposito from what I've read others do. Not quite sue about Cutrone, but I've been watching him all this year wondering how I could use him. 

added 0 minutes later
14 hours ago, Alistair 3432 said:

And thats how got the austrilia part

Yeah, I knew that's how you guessed it!  😄 

For what it's worth these are the two most successful formations I've used so far:

the-three-vieris-season00-04.jpg.a122706f54572ad0966f106519faa42f.jpg

the-three-vieris-season00-05.jpg.f452b1153f22785c7faba8e683982fc1.jpg

I'm not set on either of these yet. We're in the top 4 in Jan, but only scoring about 1 goal per game. As the fellas level up, that will increase a lot, so I'm hopeful. But I'm still trying other things too. I might make the strikers even (instead of 1 off to the side). I might bring a player into the AMC position. I might go one at the back. Or any other number of things!

For now though, I'm trying to keep some of the strengths of my original tactic: Lots of crosses from the right wing into a strong player in the central striking position.

I did originally plan the season for 3 at the back which means I've got too many CDs now. I did try to sign players who could play more than one position, so that I could move them around a bit if I stopped using the position I signed them for, but of the 6 CDs only one can play elsewhere and I already had enough backup for that.

15 minutes ago, smoggy90 said:

Oh yes mate, three quality players and I’m looking forward to a bucket load of goals! 

Thanks mate. Yeah, I'm thinking they'll do alright. Maybe not so much this season, but sooner than later...