Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Which of these goalkeepers is best?

Scratch

Which one would you play? I have an answer, but wondering what you would do. 

This guy (great attributes, 2 star CA/PA and nowhere near our best GK):

SnhMCfRkl2F8MvpXI9ChOaxBW8Ed0SIHmB9sesK4Aq7sDCf26H_G6RcmdqkAZdGU7J6CFsPO_dJhDpmpfkhq6_JJ0hQLtnFt_RBvBYsFlb_zfeX2LlBYTOg-rIy_ZC9RAdfYsiD9DeSEV3BnTVpZj0fDYJ8-3dOy2EclwfS-mK3UB08N4h4Atnp3VGb7HpZPVzI8-0jISdf61bZIt9IjzOwiIafbcljYAGCezBv4olSY8tc_b-FI-u4i1ohQHZ5smpCmG5IQ9GrYtIVVLccq7t1ShMMZQMhGuuN-KpPYJTp7HYhpPoeJlwufEahqYmb8aeBNr0aGQ-lgiYQdggX5Q9FKDdExdKHjMf_Ww9vGg0lR50rTvLr0oFYUP_oB8U1CzHjo4uLrN1XsAma2sWb6lCbkirqQSt1_UWQcP3zINQ1lioeVcsXJGBZGBoldGDn8ucT11eSi0XRIP0a4vy4EZf0_sb3BW-H_lw2GfD9-CZtN0DWL66l5hwp4n6-vgyuAZFGKN4w5TeewAgn3w_m6LbNkHqK8HfbU0_t4xDfg6XgBirAcmoFg03oIECL_TkkamRR3RYM_mau5WSksk-IkAwmMbhuBi3rvS9UbYUUqe5rij1MU_45x-ZhnPEEAx5e3PylYTFjUkk7J3Je9Ad7o1yJJcWQaLotZ67TdUQA24f_8xLr9UOq3CCIOAyGr9L0=w843-h379-no?authuser=0

x2FUlUhNDPO27_SKgQ-bD8lx5jz2rqDu1pCoTbutYqYMHmVLMFv06ZwTvO3uP65CxeRt9VrIaYpSJrv4TtCyK8tarqUxg0bwynEkawA4UlO1yThSYrE8jnjVc1k3aU6AmDQBHlK4aTAAn1PVF10GEVEDhzUzqgKfu7LV8O7yTDPCJfOvw7fkCUWlXoTTLwXitV7BSyqff3-U9mcveQPk91VelVPeB2dhdowVBLkhpSjVe3kkCZAgy0kCGnRrjmtLnMD2oteW6c7a76e1n8viWvQImKFjaPiKG3jUyBUnsrwfg3z7NB9KYUr4LfSt962ZtVKv8gMPesN4k43gkl9EbknsAflFg_X8MYgOFXwFRFzL5lSU5q4zhPbl_Sco2jN4KA4-KQem0TOyAJkJIYkAhhHyGhPHb6lsUPjundmRryHQ_v861m6vaHaKyw7WWYva1ADwOhsCgcWsL5x8stMErdx5EYVH0exTFmShcYc6omjkvWoy2mjWsQ_CcNM5ROC6J7_Iox1ey3HX5wiBgaN_rDz_F4CclkGN7NownEpfF3ZVcCgoSN-nSgBkqO6dFwanBAPzPNYQZniVy19SHko_sae9_jVOwOCGuqcGJbngzc7jBbhe9vlD_8ktmE2Ui-yS27j0p4D5x60jEc2Rr6ezJbu6AzBGAVmK8tRLMOtgjUjdS9X-_bf8RALiTeuVwIE=w849-h382-no?authuser=0

Or this one (much younger, attributes not as good, 2.5 star CA/ 3.5 star PA and the potential to equal our best GK):

k0LaLaOscrbeWGaa2NITJFRjesvXk_DTVQw3IYHmZ9x9yaqMiaub7tSut8HExUaWy_GsX7tx-QGG72oS_sFeWnPC73q9OR846aVJMhAUOPN4TARtsRgukramCiBmX7d4DxKHas6ekQKpgD2o6ZFAn-NUWZF_NBQUlA7cccoVn-bchxDCcMqVTwaa-SmJd6uYP0AH9_LXTpbNU7LLbHGRlMynBtP0cmd0ns5HFTotrRRMpxPLJWe14GZTZkR80cc3bEZrVKSC2GoERhO5gB4pUiHiG6aQVMEykboCdUysYhKelfp9INFH2tn700Mg-y540Uw4Pn9o1mjkjY7WXsvlvxf23T9bjxhoN9WtZeMZkhqByj8iD_R7OwzLI-2YtY0TPFX_u5aL2tLb-5vOYXb7KzVB--h9Bzwsj4IO1iTsVSocEmwAs1wTy_7GwabojAF906bvSm0hsb-tJ5wAQ4am0-qJadIJQlrd92duHFDdEShLDkldUOOxgKvXxS7vYQ6DyxUMkosWYBNz0SU5_tFrq_4-U-X-Ju-1NV1jojmKa0AXOZg-wlil1wvNZMzAeS-vYPu55oO8xH2bX9dgo5wyyAmDqTogQQdVCDyLlbo-eWz7ubpVkUcevScaOssyyelAw2mpYeHj60xMoGGdUfgS8nfeWKE4IJis15uPLGLt5fZ8jhK4vaqiu0o_kWoJGYc=w849-h382-no?authuser=0

iLxS4NHCU_CLodjWTeJ6fbY6jNnplnhvlnj3IubuJ1wei_2vjhE4QrpGSHAO2O8DEu-fW3rmWclh6fEt2bJV-0gMN9FDVlEEwJsOyE6qvhpQ30xim8NOPqAWUyDg8PRId6wbva7HtKlrsbD7ky36tE5ihoQeyPbsuqgzYpsk4dMrn4t-XWcFO-yekRVboCHSrUBSp3GYz4mVCN6iJDzj2rI0lCGwlqtCzEAy2tlMmRVTWL88DjyrXXZB6qo2CVhrfz9iwLhG5kf9mm9ofwnpfeQHfmFI1Ue7BHaklOsAONj77NO4l7DJ7JxNvgU6q3gvZkv-A6asXXzByDFfVjqtQC3IjOZ2darJD9nTCqjrbRifMm60LYvp82EymHyP0fRPllgY47X7PK9q28dchM5_4aTB_krOs5ZhkdfBEJqeVKSroQpxKyYTvj49rMBisq_8wI3t81PDNRubsb1p6D2YvkNdaekSyIwyAH0ByhtvPv9UZ8_fuVmIX50S3wt435UKuIjImxWSjZyHWsLgjB4Ixv7235P99hhdf5767vUrHuPid2PWf_4CeF5Gy15RqQ_-q1h7ApdAWtAKTp6VFxq_BpKk82rRu-022f1mWkEvYDCmppyY5QeJNKQCjIRqGf_adoyLKHjQw2R0RgZPNcDymlJw9iikikv1NBP-HcZz6YFe-ed52jph-wCnImlGUUs=w849-h382-no?authuser=0

Let me know which one you'd play in an important game. Thanks!

IMO for me it's not just stats, as a 17 year old he is young and probably worried about playing in the bigger games, the 22 year old isn't much different, for me it would be play the 22 year old Lamanna purely for age and maturity, and then progress Tommasini in either reserve games or send out on Loan until he is ready around 19/20

What is wrong with your main GK Audero? is this for cup games only as Audero is your main GK

Lamanna as he has better attributes 

I never really go by star ratings, might have a scan over them but usually use my own judgement rather than the coaches. However for PA I might base signings on that if bringing in players for the reserves who I want to get to their best PA

Thanks all! So everyone went for attributes first (and a coupe with age/experience as well). That's what I thought too...

But this is what happened:

ABSRlIq5IT6CeCcw1BkMb2ERRnLHgy66Onx60Gw3cwc5q_nDiyu9M7DuvTLq-bILRoW96u7MOAGEQClZs2IuEFmyQilFxXF5u4GC6Zh9hPvF19fjAtD7XcZV9pUM9D3qNJtn6dtynCU8Gp5vC7HSNL9Plup19waes0XmcfnaUb2vmGVHM-EcaTBIxF8Dp9xKLB_5kWc51XZjLESWtO2yAsMM5MabQqeew41_pDHT8GL-8JiorG6naI4op9ZRkUlsGY1B5teZtmHE6s3QHz-lRcyHH3jHvelq-_zs-hIOZkD2NZXdIOUPQt6-afWM1G2AlNWszi2Fx2-sEVgCSDzIN5igCvakSK8kibFdnroVA16VajogYbioj3RyBqNLhXCnRD27qhQRmWiBJMgFRBT7yL20fFPA9dtuRCMf9hpIFHBkqq_68JEyYHiAvUNG4DqUssQIZLEw3o8qriYoIC378w1pQ34qGsgroxTZvHF4kofyXWtAfv20vPsUXIU44nsR1rJK_8E0p5F0dSXhysk_uA7BxNFWIjzfPAFNqjuJzoTRIV04DosyolsLDvbjXeCGLh4YkRTJ04OB10dvpl-jhM29lShYVG299RiaHL5BZxOoG-Ow-ileti8bzoQPC4pCFvmvAZ5k8_4XTPaiKHlT7Fjj8YcgN2o4Nz9l6f1j19hdWXpJRiI7yIfms3Vn97q9XwreXepXyL98MhCyILd7C0Bso0r18Rhh0PCsYzHVRE8=s849-w849-h382-no?authuser=0

ABSRlIo7JxMvWYzfroxQ833afbcIVDxHYkXwhftHkDp9E_FKZp6N9lhciuBV0e_zsgfr_z7zn_JDjPoBwWqoBQQwk6o3zLIdvD9cmu35jPBIpNsPZRG65agiE11knopzVj83zmYAAdiv3GPa9kUiqWNbafLHZSWCUSNBxNNGCHy2T4dqg1OF0CJm497E1CsuGkE7vfw82GXYKPzbdjqyM7m_WQk06YBsIitZSGcpnIFr8IRh64gk4KL5GLcwoaMRQzQ7xdA66fQazy-wbByhaGLTRfGiCpCrfHJX9cOSzLW5V2bX6Hu_bkij3Wx6ZWYBna3mqqWMS6PLX-tEGDXnculrGDWSDAni6gMIZa5RI2jA3FMKVBNtlS5ZFBr_kVJPSZwwLEVL8IQKKBoRwwGzn6Am-BTcTZ5K4-do9UwdspVltVDe2fIH4yqkN4wKORqOBHIsFte0tEcGxBus180x57TuS_FwzxyHySPdBX3l_vbvEouACjN8wBKehE6i0YX0B_ryXDO9NWyjo899hKE_xV9UbO_Rg_XoscSOCXxyOHqDHzcfwJrlYIIyTBP1cP1PKxDjla9XLXkmoK6axp077j9kcVoCLzBkM887kZteT29sG5sTuKUsa3RtQ8w3iaPi9uj7Otgm7kbHUrm8Os8D5DgnLpwlm2KROYGwTuut3ito_TsEyIvVKtBkhHS1-g0iiLgDCBbkzqP2L49AHXs2OCwb03EF1-m3diRaM8A26FE=s849-w849-h382-no?authuser=0

First guy was just way too flakey. So I swapped to second guy and he did much better despite being younger and his attributes not being as good. To be fair, after that he had a couple of mares, but still much better stats than the other player (currently 14 games, 9 conceded). 

Maybe because of hidden attributes? Although both were products of the youth academy and in previous test saves (where I looked at the hidden attributes), I found that once you have the best facilities, the hidden attributes are always pretty good. Maybe I will keep this save and come back and check it when I'm finished the career.

Or maybe because the second guy had played at a higher level (ie Lazio)? But the fact that Lazio wanted him and were willing to play him says to me that he's probably better despite the attribute levels? 

I'm not sure what to make of it, as it goes against what I thought. Maybe it's just a one off (and player 1 didn't get that many games, so maybe it was just a bad patch of form), but I'll be watching more carefully from now on and giving different players a chance so I can judge them on how they perform.

Anyway, I just wanted to sanity check my original thoughts, in case I was out of whack with the rest of you, but seems I'm not. Thanks for helping!

Edited by Scratch
2 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

What is wrong with your main GK Audero? is this for cup games only as Audero is your main GK

LOL, long story there... I had both Audero and Donnarumma and alternated between them, but I I felt it was time to give these youngsters the odd game, so I decided to sell one of the main guys. Donnarumma was conceding more than Audero, so he was the one to go.

Then the day after the transfer window closed, Audero said he wanted a new challenge and he got real upset that he couldn't leave (should have told me a couple of weeks ago mate!). So I decided not to use him and just go with the young guys - which lead to the situation above. Once I got to January I bought Meret, so these guys are backups to him now.

Well actually I sold Lamanna in Jan, because I just couldn't trust him. It was sort of crushing because he's been my golden hope for the future for some time...

1 minute ago, Jsavfc said:

Every time i have played with Donnarumma, he has always been abit, whats the word, crap ha. 

Yeah, I've had mixed success with him... Sometimes he's been decent, but other saves he's been pretty poor, so I stopped buying him - but this time around I wanted him at the club because he'd be in the ITN squad (before the buggers sacked me!).

I think this goes back to the big question 'do you listen to your Scout/Coach' when buying or playing your players

If there is that 'Hidden attributes' factor, then as most people do, they choose the Attributes over the comments by both the Scout's and Coach's, but saying that, what is the report worked out from, the CA/PA? and if so, then are we all wrong to not trust the given report? 

There has been many times in my saves, where I have gone with the most Greens in attributes, but the player is actually a waste of time and probably should be playing in a league below, so when a Coach report say's he is a Good/Average player and gives say 3 stars only, his he is worth keeping? or is the game actually right to say 'look I told you he was SHIT, get rid' and we are all wrong to say 'use your instinct', because you and @Jsavfc have proven that with Donnarumma who is a World Class GK, but actually when! for Italy, but usually for club football he stinks, and it's better to get in Pickford for example

I have to say while at first glance I thought the one with the better stat spread, however when I read the "positive/negative" feedback I did lean towards the "lesser" stated keeper. His positives were all ball saving/keeper based and vital compared to the other lad. His positives just spoke to me more. 

For the age difference as well there isn't that much in the stats, a few years and I'd expect him to easily rival if not out match the other lad. 

This is how I would look at it if I had both keepers.

Lemanna has the better attributes both at stopping goals go in and with his distribution so I would pick him over the other fella every time unless he was a lot older in which case I would develop the younger lad.

With GK I like to just set and forget so they play every game unless they are injured and I like to do that for a good few seasons so at the end of a season I will check if I have a better option or if my GK getting 30+ I will drop him out for someone younger to develop but essentially once the season is going it would be extremely rare I would even look at his AvR let alone attributes or coach report during the season.

All that matters to me is I’m winning matches and so if my keeper is averaging conceding 2 goals a game if I’m scoring 3 or 4 goals a game then so be it and I would probably look towards my defence first than the GK anyway if I had any concerns.

I’ve had this scenario in a Celtic game I had going, my main Keeper had all green stats in the right places but wasn’t performing well and the reports did not fancy him, but looking at his stats I would have thought he would be a great keeper. My second keeper was rated better on the reports but his stats were not as good as the main keeper, when I gave the second keeper a run in the team he performed a lot better. So i stuck with him, I wonder if there’s something in the background that’s telling us to trust our coaches 🤔🤣

19 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

I think this goes back to the big question 'do you listen to your Scout/Coach' when buying or playing your players

If there is that 'Hidden attributes' factor, then as most people do, they choose the Attributes over the comments by both the Scout's and Coach's, but saying that, what is the report worked out from, the CA/PA? and if so, then are we all wrong to not trust the given report? 

There has been many times in my saves, where I have gone with the most Greens in attributes, but the player is actually a waste of time and probably should be playing in a league below, so when a Coach report say's he is a Good/Average player and gives say 3 stars only, his he is worth keeping? or is the game actually right to say 'look I told you he was SHIT, get rid' and we are all wrong to say 'use your instinct', because you and @Jsavfc have proven that with Donnarumma who is a World Class GK, but actually when! for Italy, but usually for club football he stinks, and it's better to get in Pickford for example

Yeah, I certainly don't trust the staff's CA / PA ratings, but I pay attention to things like Thrives in big matches, etc as better players often have that (and it's useful even if they aren't that great). And I pay attention to whether there is a gap between CA and PA as then it means they are more likely to have some room for development.

I did notice with one of my test saves in the past (where I was looking at real CA/PA etc) that you sometimes get youth players who develop GREAT attributes but only have an average PA. So maybe this lad (player 1) is in that boat. I thought it wouldn't matter and the attributes would be more important, but from memory, the ones I saw in the past were a little meh as well. But then I've seen some players with high CA not do that well either.

So the more I think about it, the more I think the sensible approach is to just try players out and see how they go and judge them on that.

19 hours ago, Ashez said:

I have to say while at first glance I thought the one with the better stat spread, however when I read the "positive/negative" feedback I did lean towards the "lesser" stated keeper. His positives were all ball saving/keeper based and vital compared to the other lad. His positives just spoke to me more. 

For the age difference as well there isn't that much in the stats, a few years and I'd expect him to easily rival if not out match the other lad. 

Yeah, that's one of the reason I was playing him in the first place - the first player had finished development (no improvement after even great games), but the second one still has large increases after each game. So gotta get him some game time to develop him. I just wasn't expecting him to perform better!

added 0 minutes later
18 hours ago, Ian said:

I’d go the bottom one based on value alone. 

Good point! I find that's not always an accurate indicator, but there is often a correlation between value and ability.

18 hours ago, Foxy said:

This is how I would look at it if I had both keepers.

Lemanna has the better attributes both at stopping goals go in and with his distribution so I would pick him over the other fella every time unless he was a lot older in which case I would develop the younger lad.

With GK I like to just set and forget so they play every game unless they are injured and I like to do that for a good few seasons so at the end of a season I will check if I have a better option or if my GK getting 30+ I will drop him out for someone younger to develop but essentially once the season is going it would be extremely rare I would even look at his AvR let alone attributes or coach report during the season.

All that matters to me is I’m winning matches and so if my keeper is averaging conceding 2 goals a game if I’m scoring 3 or 4 goals a game then so be it and I would probably look towards my defence first than the GK anyway if I had any concerns.

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm scoring so many goals that it doesn't really matter if the goalie lets a few in. But we drew a couple of games we didn't need to, gasp! 

At this point in the save I'm really looking for a "less than a goal a game" keeper. I'm willing for it to be a bit higher for youngsters while they level up, but not 2 a game. At that point I'll ditch them and buy a more established/famous keeper. 

I'm probably worrying more than I should be, but I can't help it! 😄

10 hours ago, RichDave32 said:

I’ve had this scenario in a Celtic game I had going, my main Keeper had all green stats in the right places but wasn’t performing well and the reports did not fancy him, but looking at his stats I would have thought he would be a great keeper. My second keeper was rated better on the reports but his stats were not as good as the main keeper, when I gave the second keeper a run in the team he performed a lot better. So i stuck with him, I wonder if there’s something in the background that’s telling us to trust our coaches 🤔🤣

Yeah, I'm coming around to the point of view that you can't judge a player on his attributes alone. But I don't think you can always trust the coach report either. I'm definitely starting to think the sensible approach is to just try players out and see how they go and judge them on that.

I tend to ignore (to an extent) player stats when it comes to goalkeepers. I always go off average rating (AVR). I would not be keeping a goalkeeper who has a 6.33 AVR.

I think AVR gets overlooked a lot of the time. I’ll never sign a player, regardless of how good he is, if his average rating is consistently below 7. 

Edited by Jack
29 minutes ago, Jack said:

I tend to ignore (to an extent) player stats when it comes to goalkeepers. I always go off average rating (AVR). I would not be keeping a goalkeeper who has a 6.33 AVR.

I think AVR gets overlooked a lot of the time. I’ll never sign a player, regardless of how good he is, if his average rating is consistently below 7. 

Interesting! I tend not to pay much attention to ratings, mainly because for positions up the pitch it's so obviously based on goals and assists. Your striker might have 13 shots and none on target and have a rating of 4, then he accidentally flukes one in and he has a rating of 8.

So basically I try to judge players by the end results and things you notice (like how many chances to score etc), rather than the rating themselves. For goalies this means how many they let through (although it's not always their fault).

I love how there are so many ways to approach this game...