Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help 4-1-1-2-2 - which tactical advice?

Hello,

I started playing FMM20  several days ago.
Now, I am playing my second year with Northampton (started in League Two, now in League One).

I am wondering why in the tactic guides, there is no 4-1-1-2-2 recommended.

I play that now for over a year with quite of success (and I have the right players for it now, I guess).

A screenshot won't help, because it's in German...

So here comes my formation:

AF     P

W                W

AP

DM

WB CD  CD  WB

Anyway, which strategy/tactic options would you choose?

I took "Control" as mentality, wide game, normal tempo, normal freedom, balanced defensive line, overall pressing, normal tackling, no offside trap,

No special tactics for the last 1/3rd, last 3 boxes with "variable".

How do you think can I improve that ??

And why is this formation never recommended?

17 hours ago, Northamptons_Coach said:

Hello,

Now, I am playing my second year with Northampton (started in League Two, now in League One).

I play that now for over a year with quite of success (and I have the right players for it now, I guess).

AF     P

W                W

AP

DM

WB CD  CD  WB

I took "Control" as mentality, wide game, normal tempo, normal freedom, balanced defensive line, overall pressing, normal tackling, no offside trap,

You don't use any any Final Third instructions at all? Interesting as sometimes I do and others not. I'm still not sure how much effect they actually have and if they are that important really. Undecided.

By 'last 3 boxes with variable' I'm assuming you just mean all 3 set to mixed?

I'll give your setup a go and see what happens.

Hi Northamptons_Coach, thanks for sharing. Firstly, 4-1-1-2-2 is not in the tactics section as it is very similar to 4-2-2-2. There have been several topics on the 4-2-2-2, like this one

The issue here is unclear; you seem to have success with your setup (as said in your OP). Generally speaking problems surrounding 4-1-1-2-2 (4-2-2-2) like this involve poor counter-attacking. If the AI is parking the bus, use pressing own half and play direct to stretch the play. You want your tactic to overload one flank or harry the centre backs as much as possible.

22 hours ago, Northamptons_Coach said:

Hello,

AF     P

W                W

AP

DM

WB CD  CD  WB

I forgot to add. If you do a post and show your results for at least a season, I'm sure it will then be added to the tactics thread here.

Thanks for your answers!

At the moment I'm still trying to play around with tactics / strategic setups again (but still same formation as mentioned above).

e.g,, I used to play without offside trap and have the defensive line set to "balanced", but now I'm also trying to have the defensive line high and play with offside trap. Also, an attacking mentality instead of "control" is tested again.

Still, I'm very unsure with the tactic setup. It's hard to test its influence. E.g. I thought I could play a match multiple times (save game before) with different setups and compare the results to figure out, which works best. But beside the fact that the result would only be true for this certain opponent, I found out that even with the same setup and nothing changed, match results can differ a lot from each other. Therefore, it seem pretty hard to figure out, what works better, and what is a worse idea.

Especially, I'm wondering now, if I should play narrow, wide, or normal? Fast, normal or slow? (fast seem to increase failures made by players).

And, is creative freedom a good thing or not? I mean, not every guy on the playground has a good creativity rating..

I'm also very unsure, what the 6 options for the last third really do.  And at the end, a goalkeeper playing a short pass from time to time to a forwarder from the other team let me decide, that I don't like short variants here, whereas long versions go maybe in 50% of the cases directly to the other team and seem to be more chaotic than the short ones - so I hate the long passes from the GK, too.

Lot of uncertanity. Before I didn't find the perfect mix (maybe with your help, of which i am very glad about), I don't want to post a "not-perfect strategy". Let's see, how we can improve it. 🙂

Looking forward for your suggestions!

4 hours ago, Northamptons_Coach said:

Did you also tried different setups regarding the mentality, wide/narrow play, last third and so on?

Nah I was just doing a test of yours to see how it played.