Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesVilla

FMM21: Who to manage in England

Hello fellow Vibers. 

I thought about doing a piece about who you could potentially manage, within Englands top 4 leagues (Premier League - League 2) on the new FMM. 

Hopefully there is some interest in this, I have picked two teams from each league and will outline my reasons why with each team :)

Premier League

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b55436b8405d2bfebe9f213d22b8298f.jpg

First up is Chelsea. This team needs no proper introduction, they are one of the big teams within the league, and perhaps a easier FMM save than most. The reasoning behind Chelsea being listed is simple. The new signings. 

With Werner & Havertz comes two FMM favourites, and yes, they haven't exactly set the league alight in real life, but in game they are sure to excel and dominate the English leagues for years to come. 

Not only is there several new players to enjoy, Chelsea also have a very good core young bunch. Including, Mount, Abraham, CHO. The attacking potential in this squad is insane, surely a chance for some mega goal scoring challenges here without a doubt. 

Chelsea will also have a fair bit of cash to throw around I would imagine, so any areas that do need improvements should be easy enough to achieve. Although, with the addition of Mendy & Silva in the summer, on paper I can't actually find a weak spot in the team. 

So, will you decide to take on a big team, with some big names? How far can you push them, Champions League glory perhaps? The possibilities for this team are endless. 

Leeds.United1.jpg.751545e7d7a43e6c64a4148271b56bad.jpg

The second team for my Premier League recommendations is Leeds United. A fallen giant of years gone by. 

After 16 years without top flight football, the Whites are finally back in the big time, and under current manager, play some of the fastest, most attacking football i've seen in a long time. 

Leeds have strengthened in the summer, with signing well known striker Rodrigo. The other signings have impressed in the league so fair, goalkeeper Meslier looks like a promising young keeper. 

Most importantly though, is the fact they have kept The Yorkshire Pirlo (not my name for him) in Phillips. Recently getting his first few England caps under his belt, Phillips looks like the ideal player to build a squad around. 

Unlike most newly promoted teams, I don't think keeping Leeds up will be a challenge in it self, personally I think top half is more than achievable with even the starting squad. 

Will anyone fancy the challenge of getting these fallen giants back to the top? Can you overtake rivals Manchester United in terms of League wins? Can you please the fans with the style of play they want & demand, fast paced, high fitness levels, or will you resort back to tried and tested long ball, snatch and grab?

Thats it for the Premier League. 

Noticeable emissions; 

Spoiler

Wanted to leave a little spoiler in for teams that were considered, but just failed to make my top two. This will be updated with each league that gets added. 

Wolves - Good solid base, with FMM wonderkid legend Silva joining, high chance of several 1kc saves from the Midlands. 

The Championship

After watching my own team spend a good few years in this league, I know first hand it is a pain in the arse to get out from. Once you do, you NEVER want to go back. 

Thats why my first pick is, in my opinion, in pole position to get out of this horrible league. 

unnamed.jpg.0c21c65a17c4bd10f88405c38877c9b6.jpg

Watford FC

After relegation last season, many expected a mass sale from Watford, but it was quite the opposite. 

Yes a few players did depart (was bound to lose some after dropping a league), but looking at their Ins & Outs, there is actually only 1/2 players I feel will be a lose to the first team. 
Doucoure & Deulofeo are the main two I pointed out. Those two will definitely be a miss on the first team, especially in the league they are currently in. 
However, they have kept a few key players. Sarr, Deeney, Foster, Capoue, and others all stayed on to fight to get back to the promised land. 

Add into the mix Glenn Murrary (proven goal scorer) on loan for the season, and in reality, you end up with a tidy looking squad for the gruelling championship season. 

I think Watford will be a great team to go with, if you want a 'easy' promotion, then some hard graft & wheeling/dealing to avoid dropping back down. 

254668869.thumb.jpg.06949cf0cb9ec611a6fb8c6e4579fb65.jpg

Staying with W's, Wycombe Wanders are my second choice for the Championship. 

A surprise they got promoted at the end of last season, espeically after being third favourites for relegation at the start of the season. They found themselves a league higher after beating Oxford in the play off final (sorry @FuddledFox)

Wycombe got a fair bit of slack in League one, for their style of play. 

They dont like having the ball, don't care for fancy passing movements. with last season only averaging 40% possession per game, 3.7% lower than second bottom. 

But, with plently of dead ball training, and pure hard work and commitment they excelled, and managed to scrap play offs, and as we know, anything can happen in the playoffs. 

Now, with FMM, keeping Wycombe up, or even taking them higher is going to be a tough task. With little budget, and lets be honest, a sub-standard squad for the championship, you will need be smart where you spend, and make full use of the loan/free agent market. 

But, with a legend like Akinfenwa up top, how can you not want to take the hot seat, and make use out of a perfect TM beast up top. 

Noticeable Emissions; 

Spoiler

Coventry - Similar to Wycombe, small side, low budget - can you keep them up?

Sheffield Wednesday - This was close. -7 (i think in the end?) point deduction. Always going to be a challenge with a start like that. If it had stayed -12 points, would of made the top two. 

League One

Moving away from the top two leagues now, venturing into League One. 

This was abit of tough one to pick just the two teams. Quite a few fallen giants have found themselves lingering around. 

But, there was one that stuck out, moving onto our first choice; 

sunderland.thumb.jpg.7a652101f0e5a94a2becc32d4ffeab4f.jpg

Newcastles much inferior rivals (that should please a few here) Sunderland

Sunderland found fame the last few years with a Netflix documentary, which I must say was a joy to watch for various different reasons. 

Having once graced the Premier League not too long ago, they find themselves pretty much stuck in League One, having lost the Play off Final just last year, fans are optimistic about finally a return to higher ground, however based on the current start, it looks unlikely for automatic promotion. 

With Sunderland on FMM, you are bound to get a decent budget for the league, in FMM20, im sure the transfer budget was around £1m - which, can buy 3/4 quality players for that league, and as you climb the pyramid. Add a healthy budget with some well known players, such as Will Grigg, Danny Graham, Luke O'Nien, the starting points of a deadly attack are already in place. 

Can you do what real manages have tried and failed, get Sunderland back to the big time and finally challenge The Toon for that number 1 spot up north?

Second choice; 

2016-05-30T170654Z_1_MT1ACI14416246_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-CHAMPIONSHIP.thumb.jpg.b6ededa728c036846c629add0b8479d9.jpg

Now, here we have A.F.C Wimbledon. A name that, should be known across the English game. 

Wimbledon have gone through the motions over the years since the club was founded, the FA allowing the owners to move the whole club almost 100km away to Milton Keyens, supporters having the heart and soul of their club pretty much ripped apart. In 2003, Wimbledon were founded, and this year returned to what many fans class as their spiritual home, Plough Lane. 

I'm not going to go into detail about the squad, as quite frankly, I don't know enough about the players to comment. However, a quick bit of research shows that you start off with some decent loan players, but not a very experienced squad base, so this will definitely test your skills of financial management and the transfer window. 

But I wanted to included Wimbledon, as I feel (and most fans hopefully do) that what happened to the original club was a disgrace, and no fan should ever see their club packed up and moved to another city completely. 

Wimbledon could be a fun save, knowing the history of the club, and the intense rivalary with MK Dons, it would be fun to soar Wimbledon to European glory, while leaving MK Dons deep down the leagues, struggling to even gain one promotion. 

Noticeable Emissions

Spoiler

Oxford United - Purely for @FuddledFox, but there is some good younger players that call Oxford home, could be a great place for some challenges. 

Wigan - Another fallen giant, FA Cup winners actually not that long ago, but poor management and decision making from above leave the club in League One. A road to glory save perhaps?

Now we move onto the last instalment, League Two. 

Some tough choices here, I wanted to stay away from the obvious team (Bolton) so, here we have my first choice; 

_113794356_062756483.thumb.jpg.9137a9da08097634297c5fa2314ab7f4.jpg

For those of you that can't tell from the picture, its Harrogate Town

After winning promotion by coming 2nd in the National League, Harrogate are playing their first ever season in one of the 'big' top 4 leagues. 

They actually only got 2nd place due to the League being decided on PPG, after the season was halted due to Corona Virus. 

The club itself have only really be going since the mid 1900s, making them a relatively newish club compared to some others around. 

I can't pretend to know all the players at the club, and with FMM21 not out, can't scout them that much, so having to use our old rivals Fifa to get a feel for the squad. 

Judging off that, you should be starting with a decent budget (rumoured on Fifa to be £500,000 - not sure how it translate to FMM) so, definitly scope to add the squad to cement a place in League Two. 

Player wise, a solid English core awaits. It appears that midfield is Harrogates best area on the pitch at the minute, with Falkingham, Kirby & Walker. Those three would seem to make a good base to start with. 

Harrogate was included due to being the first time they have ever been in League Two, so obviously the challenge would be first of all to stay up. From there, a decent ground, and improving the faciliates could provide a good base for the zero to hero challenge, perhaps bringing European Glory to the small Yorkshire town?!

Large.thumb.jpg.b4761c9e8a6e5352eb52513a5c5cc70e.jpg

Keeping up with the theme of one big, one small, up next we have Bradford City. Harrogates main rivals actually!

Now, being a Villa fan, i don't have fond memories of Bradford, having beat us in the League Cup a few season back, but it is a proper club, with a proper stadium & actually the only English club have Claret & Amber as their colours!

With familiar names up top, with Lee Novak & Clayton Donaldson, goals shouldn't be a problem.

Bradford will be disappointed to be in League Two, after suffering relegation last season, finishing rock bottom of League One, therefore the club are most likely going to be expecting an immediate return back up the divisions. Having said that, I did a FMM20 save with Bradford and had a very decent budget to start with, albeit in League One, ideally the midfield would probably be the area to strengthen, with only two players really standing out for me - Ismail & Evans. 

So the challenge for Bradford will be, to make the club forget about the past relegations, climb the leagues and challenge both Leeds & Huddersfield for Yorkshires Number One club. 

Noticeable Emissions;

Spoiler

Bolton - Fallen giant, REALLY bad management from above, can you return the club to the promised land?

Southend - Squad in bits, terrible start to the season in real life, going to be a challenge to just stay in League Two, yet alone climb up. 

Thats it folks. The four main leagues in England, with 2 choices from each. 

Please let me know what you thought, and if there is much interest, I might do some research for the National League and below, and more indepth team guides once FMM21 is actually out. 

Edited by Jsavfc
spelling & tidy.

I’m looking forward to seeing who you pick for the other divisions and if the Mighty Yellows are one of your Lg1 picks I might even put this article in the featured section on the homepage 😉

15 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

I’ll surely do a Bamford 1k on FMM 21

At least until you lose the save file?

11 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

I’m looking forward to seeing who you pick for the other divisions and if the Mighty Yellows are one of your Lg1 picks I might even put this article in the featured section on the homepage 😉

I won’t lose the save this time but no promise I won’t take a 2 months break

Edited by broodje kip
14 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Looks like I wont be on the featured articles section then 😂

Nicely written mate, I’ve definitely got a couple of teams in my head, I think Chelsea will be used a lot more for challenges and things next year with the squad they have 😁

4 hours ago, FuddledFox said:

😂

Great picks, looking forward to see L2. And I must confess that I would like to see you get your fingers even deeper as there are plenty of players that start at least one save in VNN/VNS

15 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Apart from a large fan base, a good squad for the level of football and a stadium with all its sides what have Sunderland got that Oxford haven’t ffs!!!

Well I guess b2b relegation 

Great update mate, was thinking about doing something similar for Scotland and put us on the FMM map for anyone who's never managed up the road. If anyone's interested I'd be more than happy to follow @Jsavfc

Edited by ScottishFMM
24 minutes ago, ScottishFMM said:

Great update mate, was thinking about doing something similar for Scotland and put us on the FMM map for anyone who's never managed up the road. If anyone's interested I'd more than happy to follow @Jsavfc

I’d be interested in that, love managing up in Scotland 😁

20 minutes ago, RichD said:

I’d be interested in that, love managing up in Scotland 😁

I’ll work up a bit of information and try post the first part before the Scotland game tonight folks!👍🏻

2 hours ago, Schwantz34 said:

Sheffield Wednesday have a points deduction, so those teams are always a fun one to start with.

Got reduced to minus 7 I think in the end and they are in real life already off the bottom of the table. 

If it had stayed at minus 12 they would of been in the top two. They are in the noticeable emissions spoiler though. 

I will go with Man Utd. Arguably the biggest club in the world has fallen way way down. It's a great challenge to get them back to winning the Premier League and Champions League.

Think Sheffield Wednesday ended up with minus 6.

I'll nominate the super bees, of course - but really, lots of young quality talent across all positions, so plenty to sell so that you can upgrade a couple to make it truly stellar. No plans to use them myself, I've got two 30yr epics in the pipeline...

Southend (where I have some other personal connections) could be a good L2 option - they are hopeless at the moment, looking totally doomed, so maybe you can turn them around...

Edited by Mr Tree
1 hour ago, Mr Tree said:

Think Sheffield Wednesday ended up with minus 6.

I'll nominate the super bees, of course - but really, lots of young quality talent across all positions, so plenty to sell so that you can upgrade a couple to make it truly stellar. No plans to use them myself, I've got two 30yr epics in the pipeline...

Southend (where I have some other personal connections) could be a good L2 option - they are hopeless at the moment, looking totally doomed, so maybe you can turn them around...

The Bees are my first choice for the championship next year with B & W leaving, I hope to create MTM and tear teams apart

Nice article - some good options to play there - though I'm a Newcastle fan and an Ofxord Fan, so I probably won't play a couple of those. 🙂

Watford might be interesting - I last played them in CM days I think and had a great save, so always keeping an eye on them thinking I should try. Might be the time!

39 minutes ago, S4NCH0 said:

Great Article!! Nice that you added Bradford City. It will indeed be a fun and tough challenge to bring back them glory days!! 

When I went up to Valley Parade with the villa for the league Cup a few years ago, the ground actually really impressed me. Nice old fashioned stadium.