Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges How Far Can You Take Them?

samhardy

How Far Can You Take Them?

This is a very basic concept but the simple ones are often the best! It’s often the case in football where after gaining promotion managers stay too loyal to the group of players that got them up the previous season and struggle in the higher league instead of trying to fully push on.

image.jpeg.9cf27d899fe05bbee9ca0b319606bc49.jpeg

Torquay United celebrate winning the Conference South in 2019

The challenge essentially is to see how far up the English football ladder you can get with the starting squad. Absolutely no transfers in at any point during the challenge, that’s the only rule, and frees/loans/greys/academy players are barred too. The squad you start with will be staying with you all the way and that’s the squad you’ll finish with.

The Challenge will last 10 seasons. Your score will be the league and position you end the 10th season in, so if you finish the 28/29 season 18th in the Championship that will be your score.

Other Things To Clear Up

• You must start with a team in either the National League North or South.
  • You can sell players but it’s not advised considering they can’t be replaced :P
  • You can use loan players for the first season that are already at the club, but can’t sign them after the season finishes.
  • No cheating or reloading etc

Leaderboard

1. @geordiekrispy - 2nd, Premier League
2 hours ago, TheUnderdog said:

This challenge sounds interesting. Would you just only load the england league and no other country?

You can load whichever leagues you want but I think England only would give you more players to start with from the beginning so that’s the way I would go.

3 minutes ago, samhardy said:

You can load whichever leagues you want but I think England only would give you more players to start with from the beginning so that’s the way I would go.

Thanks alot. Just selected England only and going for York. Wish me luck. First time on this forum etc. Do I set up a thread of my own to show my journey?

1 hour ago, TheUnderdog said:

Thanks alot. Just selected England only and going for York. Wish me luck. First time on this forum etc. Do I set up a thread of my own to show my journey?

Yes that would be good as everyone could follow along. Maybe have a quick read through a couple of other career threads and then decide on the “style” you want to go for :)

4 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

Ok, got a question...

When doing this challenge, you can use your reserve players right? Just not any new academy graduates?

By reserve players do you mean the “real” players that start in the reserves at the beginning of the game or the greyed out ones?

You can use any real player that starts at the club including ones in the reserve squad but not any grey players.

2 hours ago, samhardy said:

By reserve players do you mean the “real” players that start in the reserves at the beginning of the game or the greyed out ones?

You can use any real player that starts at the club including ones in the reserve squad but not any grey players.

Yeah the real players that just happen to be in the reserves.

So not the greyed out ones and no academy graduates, right?

Awesome, my mega combo challenge is looking good.

@samhardy I'm down to give this ago, haven't been on the game in months so this should be fun....I'm guessing no one has given it an attempt so far? Just no one is on the leaderboard

18 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

@samhardy I'm down to give this ago, haven't been on the game in months so this should be fun....I'm guessing no one has given it an attempt so far? Just no one is on the leaderboard

Think a few people started it but didn’t see the 10 seasons through. Good luck!

10 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Think a few people started it but didn’t see the 10 seasons through. Good luck!

Gonna be some challenge when the majority of teams only have 20 players and loads of them nearly out of contract 🤣 Guessing the challenge ends as well if players retire before the 10 years meaning squads can't be filled without the use of grey players? 

1 hour ago, AdamNufc said:

Gonna be some challenge when the majority of teams only have 20 players and loads of them nearly out of contract 🤣 Guessing the challenge ends as well if players retire before the 10 years meaning squads can't be filled without the use of grey players? 

If you load England only and have a look through the squads to find a suitable group of players then that shouldn’t be a problem as there’ll be plenty of players young enough to play for 10 years at the club at the start.

40 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

Question... Can I bring in academy players and use them to generate income by loaning and selling them on?

No, the academy graduates appear as a transfer in on the transfer page so aren’t allowed. The greyed out players are barred as well. Sorry! :P

50 minutes ago, samhardy said:

No, the academy graduates appear as a transfer in on the transfer page so aren’t allowed. The greyed out players are barred as well. Sorry! :P

I thought so, I was hoping I would be able to use them to help fund better facilities, staff and wages...