Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Determinants of a Successful Tactic

EV4RIA

Hey Everyone!

I hope you are having a blast with this latest iteration of FMM.

I wanted to hear your opinions on what you believe to be the greatest determinants of tactical success in the game this year. 

I have provided some context behind this post but feel free to ignore it if it’s too long. I will put it under a spoiler for brevity.

Spoiler

The idea behind this post comes from one of my current saves: I decided to have a run where I would take the U.S to a World Cup win. But, I was less interested in doing so purely tactically but rather with an imaginary group of American players whom I gave a sufficiently high PA (170+ on average) via editing the save. The plan was to develop this wonder kid group in the MLS & take them to the World Cup in the coming years.

Of course, I did not expect to win every single game through simply the quality of my players & therefore I put quite some attention towards my tactics. I amended my tactics every 6 months or so.

Now here is the interesting part: despite all the players having an incredibly high PA, the team struggled to win any of their games for 3 seasons! So imagine you have 11 players, with some as good as Ronaldo & Messi and the rest also wonder-kid level. Would you expect them to crush through the MLS or only manage to win 10 games throughout the season? You see, every match played, we would concede goals as if we were Boreham Woods against Real Madrid. This poor performance stood proud all the way from LA Galaxy to Austin FC! 3 seasons in and nothing has changed.

Now, the players were worth high £70 mil in some cases and £50 mil + in others, depending on the PA I assigned to them. I have no doubt about whether the PA editing stuck. Their stats too reflected their potential. Regardless, their performance has been the worst in my entire 7 year FMM career - truly has me scratching my head!

So with the discussion out of the way, I suspect a couple of reasons why this seemingly legendary team is on the pathway to being remembered as a laughing stock:

1) The team was full of youngsters. I suspect this may be the core reason of it all - a successful team needs experienced players to guide the youngsters.

2) The team did not get along with each other in the tactical screen. I am referring to the new feature which is similar to FIFAs Chemistry system. Despite 3 seasons, the team’s chemistry was virtually non-existent.

3) Too many cooks indeed spoil the broth. Maybe having too many stars causes confusion. But the natural question to that becomes, at what stage are there “too many cooks”?

Separate to the discussion, I have noticed that having the right stats for the role is quite important. Therefore, it is imperative one focuses their attention on training rather than having the assistant take over.

Are there any other reasons you guys have noticed in your own experiences? Do be sure to share your own odd experiences! Look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Edited by EV4RIA

That’s an interesting one mate, I have found this year that you need to have older players to take hold of the squad in a way, the team leaders are very important, I wonder with them being young, there is no one to nurture or mentor them to become more professional and realise there potential. I think a good mixture of youth and experience is vital on this years, I’m taking a lot longer to build squads now and I do look at there personality, avoid relaxed personality at all costs 🤣

1 hour ago, RichD said:

That’s an interesting one mate, I have found this year that you need to have older players to take hold of the squad in a way, the team leaders are very important, I wonder with them being young, there is no one to nurture or mentor them to become more professional and realise there potential. I think a good mixture of youth and experience is vital on this years, I’m taking a lot longer to build squads now and I do look at there personality, avoid relaxed personality at all costs 🤣

Yes, you’re right, I am noticing the importance of such a thing too. I might restart but add in some legacy Muricans.

Also, that’s an interesting point about their personality. I’ll focus more on that when selecting my squad.

There’s a lot to look at. Probably your tactic. It could also be your players being unprofessional, overconfident, lazy, slacking, etc. Besides that.... do you have any player with 15+ leadership? I like to have many of them in my team

How about CA of your players? Are they high? Are they too high?

If the CA of your team is too high, your opponent will use defensive mentality. And AI will also "help" weak team to against "Super Star" Team.