Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Score One Take One 2021 - Final Round Up

Score One Take One 2021

Welcome to 2021 edition of Score One Steal One.

Way back in December 2018 when Corona was just a bland Mexican beer I did the first edition of this challenge and it was a lot of fun to play and hopefully for the people that read it to follow. I took Bournemouth to Premier League glory and you can find out how here.

Those of you who weren’t around back then or have forgotten may being thinking “Wtf is Score One Take One” and I shall explain.

In every match I play my players and the opposing players will be up for grabs and at the end of the game I might gain some new players or I might lose some. That all depends on the score in the match so if I win I take a number of players from my opponent based on the winning margin, if it’s a draw we swap one player each and if I lose then I lose players based on the losing margin.

Hopefully it will all make sense once I get started but here is a summary of the rules.

• The winning margain determines the number of players that will be transferred either into my club or to my opponents. So if I win 3-1 I will get 2 new players from my opponents and if I lose 3-1 they will get two of mine.
  • A draw means that I do a player swap with my opponents so that I get there best rated player and they get mine.
  • It is the players with the highest rating on the day that get transferred. If there are more players than needed to be transferred on the same rating then the player with the highest season AvR will be transferred. If that is still equal then it is the player with the most season goals or if that isn’t applicable then my choice.
  • No other transfers are allowed by myself.
  • Any players I win are immune from being transferred out in the next match.
  • I can edit wages to prevent the club sacking me for being over budget.
  • I can move players to the reserves to make room in the squad but they must never return to the first team. I can also release players from the reserves to make room in the squad. If I win a player I had previously released I can use him in the first team.
  • The challenge is over if I’m sacked, relegated or if I need to use a greyed out player in my starting XI.

In order to make this challenge work I have the IGE enabled on the save.

19E5E199-201F-47E2-9229-56D0E5633FAA.jpeg.778b1bc31a3322366173bc82b3e9f9e4.jpeg

I will only use the IGE to transfer players I win into or lose out of the club or to edit the players wages to prevent myself being sacked for being way over the budget. I won’t edit player abilities, potential, turn off injuries etc etc.

Back in 2018 I played this in the Premier League with Bournemouth and I ended up with some worldies in the squad. This time it might be a bit different as I am starting two leagues lower and if the songs are to be believed “the greatest football team the world has ever seen”.

Thats right I will be managing the Mighty Yellows.

image.thumb.png.c75fbd8f36a2e84b4fe08faf8cf98b39.png

The Oxford squad is ok for League 1 level so if I can make a decent start and collect a few better players early on then there is no reason why I can’t challenge for promotion. A bad start and if I lose the couple of really good players I have then I could be sacked pretty quickly and it might be game over.

As I stated in the rules above I cannot make any transfers of my own choosing and as you can see that’s the case leading into the first match of the season.

0241FC20-DA47-4F7F-95C4-843C92AE6DFC.thumb.png.a5f888fad0be24bb7b84db88b07fcc15.png

I will be updating this save monthly with a short review of each game showing which players I won/lost and my aim is to do daily updates so this career should rattle along pretty quickly and I hope you will follow along as this should be fun.

Thanks for reading and if you have no idea what I am doing here I’m happy to answer your questions.

Brilliant, as you know I randomly came across this a couple of months ago and it was a great read! Look forward to seeing how this goes again 😁

24 minutes ago, RichD said:

Look forward to seeing how this goes again 😁

🤞 I at least get through one season but if we go up that could be interesting 😬

18 minutes ago, Titjes said:

Good luck, I will be following your adventure for sure mate 😉

Cheers fella.

Forgot about this challenge! Definitely on my to do this year. Really look forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck! 

Excellent - think this was one of the first threads i read when i got into full-time Vibe-ing. The first edition was brilliant, definitely looking forward to this lower-league version! Good luck! 

Edited by Mr Tree
1 hour ago, broodje kip said:

The game haven’t even started but I’m already loving this, good luck!

Hope you enjoy it.

1 hour ago, itzChris92 said:

Forgot about this challenge! Definitely on my to do this year. Really look forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck! 

Itz a fun way to play the game as it produces some random hero’s that then break your heart when they leave after 3 games.

55 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

Excellent - think this was one of the first threads i read when i got into full-time Vibe-ing. The first edition was brilliant, definitely looking forward to this lower-league version! Good luck! 

Hopefully this can live up to the first edition.

I just missed your first version of this but do remember looking back on it and it was a very nice career.

Best of luck with this version and using your own team in League One is a great way to go about it.

9 hours ago, Ian said:

I just missed your first version of this but do remember looking back on it and it was a very nice career.

Best of luck with this version and using your own team in League One is a great way to go about it.

49 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

I remember the first version well, it was a good read with lots of twists and turns! Can't wait for this season's iteration.

5 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Interesting. Your dynamics will be all over the place! Hope you get the U's promoted. 😄

Thanks guys.

Looking forward to this. 

Had a brief read through your last one, as I wasn't on Vibe when you created it, and my god. What a read that was. One of the best carers I have read on here. 

Anticipating this that much, every time I see you have commented Foxy, i pray its the first update!

Love to see this is back, I didn't hear about it until the Vibe awards last year, but once I started reading it, I never stopped. I was hooked. 

Great challenge and good luck with your mighty yellows

8 minutes ago, Kanegan said:

I enjoyed this last time around and looking forward to it again.

1 minute ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Love to see this is back, I didn't hear about it until the Vibe awards last year, but once I started reading it, I never stopped. I was hooked. 

Great challenge and good luck with your mighty yellows

Cheers lads

1 hour ago, Jsavfc said:

Anticipating this that much, every time I see you have commented Foxy, i pray its the first update!

Tonight at some point the first update will be out.

Season 1 - September

Let’s get going.

Match 1 - Bristol City Away in the EFL Cup

This was a tough start to the challenge and a bad lose could lead to some good players going out the door straight away. On the other hand a win would get me some Championship quality players....potentially.

We gave a good account of ourselves and I thought we might sneak a win but in the end it wasn’t to be. This feels like a missed chance to improve the squad but also less cup games could help in the congested schedule.

7F96BB61-5C3A-4D45-9E9A-039788C495F6.thumb.png.7c7c50a75e3a00b47eae794980bc5380.png

431CCFF2-BE38-4017-975D-534AA784C091.thumb.png.1116478593ee3babb09aec44bcd42489.png

This means we lose a player straight away and it was one of my personal favourites in our current squad 😕

Spoiler

44AD31B4-7EBE-4C0E-8651-DA95E2A72DEA.thumb.png.51cfe5402a5a6d93b5a61fc21cf23ab6.png

Match 2 - Lincoln Away in League 1

The league campaign starts in Lincolnshire in a match that we lost 4-0 in real life.

This could have been a loss as well but I think we fully justified our late equaliser in a game we dominated but just like in real life we couldn’t defend. This means that it is a straight swap with Lincoln getting my best rated player in this game and I get there’s.

41539575-1DDB-485C-8353-1B3427AB9C40.thumb.png.caf159184a28e2cbbb3e3e4f59719225.png
482719B9-A3CC-4910-A6C3-2925D2834401.thumb.png.37af12a5e2ad87a1be317f6fca59375b.png

Tom Hopper is definitely coming over to the Yellow Army but both my goalscorers scored 9’s so it goes on season AvR. My hope was it would be Agyei going to the Imps as Matty Taylor is another favourite of mine and one of the best strikers in League 1.

Spoiler

Unfortunately it was Taylor that was off and I don’t feel like Hopper was a fair swap as he isn’t as good.

C898CEA0-AAD5-4DCA-BBB2-C8EFC3AC130E.thumb.png.4c848d7a37e990196cb7e0b3778af7df.png1ACE57C5-08DF-44D5-B9ED-E833EA3CA8F7.thumb.png.47872d11ce12f36be2224a3d8dd595e9.png

Match 3 - Sunderland @ home in League 1

Our first home game of the season was the first Vibe Moderator Derby as we took on Sunderland.

I might have moaned about Tom Hopper joining in exchange for Taylor but he made himself an instant hero with a 90th minute winner in a very even match. This means we get our first win of the season and gain our first player as well. I was hoping for former Yellow Chris Maguire but I think the Black Cat’s goalscorer might be a clue who I got.

83417720-970F-4BB6-8B55-CF8BF364D9F6.thumb.png.fb7319ce25016be56753905ab988cd4f.pngEDBD7441-3276-4159-B00E-40ABAB4C3013.thumb.png.536b0b7f25fc3059aa0f4c806fdff88a.png

I think @samhardy will be delighted to see the back of William Donald Grigg as he joins us. I can’t pretend to be excited as he doesn’t look amazing and certainly no better than Hopper.

Spoiler

0015ACCF-6D29-4EB0-AB03-8E262B914AA7.thumb.png.cc8d419198b928fa79ad599c45eaa528.png

Match 4 - Accrington Away in League 1

We are on a roll now with back to back wins and Hopper is already proving me wrong as he has 2 goals in 2 games now. Our star man Brannagan who is the one player I never want to leave also got a goal as well and we get to take home two or Stanley’s “finest”.

F83D4E12-AFA7-42F6-BA5B-0C6EE500EDE2.thumb.png.3906bd344a44cd63803bd5d8f2a6b814.pngF1535DC8-01BA-40E9-AF1C-3688EB27DD5D.thumb.png.c47c80d0c938aaf88d0f9bf65869fcc4.png

John Johnson was the first man on our bus, he is an ageing CB who doesn’t improve the squad very much. It was then between Joe Pritchard a decent CM and Stephen Sama a CB to join us.

Spoiler

It was Sama who had the higher AvR and he looks a good edition to my defence which is a bit short of numbers and quality.

604F0BD5-87D0-4C47-8C2A-5197977EE27E.thumb.png.044abd6559188616dc1f56f0bd197ac6.png8F5E7BA8-B57D-4016-BDE9-701A33DF6473.thumb.png.33efe504edb8416e9f26431f7d8b523f.png

Match 5 - Southampton Under 23’s @ home in the Pizza Plate

I was excited by the prospect of this game as I was hoping to win and get some good young prospects added to the squad. I completed the first part of the plan and very comfortably as is to be expected. Will Grigg came in for Hopper and staked a claim for a place in the side with a brace whilst back up RW Forde got one and then an OG completed the rout.

7937C9EC-CD8F-4B01-A77E-32CE93A40E3F.thumb.png.493689e12df44bd3900dbb369a88addb.pngFD11AC55-B37F-48A9-8093-D88CDF876F72.thumb.png.7fd6a332b4d1953dae13c79af0426cc6.png

The problem came that almost all of the Southampton team were greyed out players with only 2 real players in the whole squad. I hadn’t factored in this when I made the rules but the sensible thing to do was for me to take the 2 real players and then “write off” the other two goals.

Spoiler

This lead to me taking a RB and GK, neither of which will be going into the first team but perhaps they will develop. More likely they will end up in the reserves when the squad gets full never to be seen again.
AACE800D-71F3-4E1D-B67C-1F1B8E8BCE45.thumb.png.c2840f760c2c7ef9aa417ca045c628dd.png8860EFE6-CBB0-4EE7-8FE5-92062CE03FF3.thumb.png.bdf062fc759a75d91aa8b5c32261828a.png

That brought the month to an end.

I would say it’s pretty even at the moment as I lost two good players early on but the form is ok in the league so far and I have added a couple of players who could prove good acquisitions in the rest of the season.

A079F620-DC50-4CFB-8C64-257E952E78A5.thumb.jpeg.b1ff6cef77d57fe7620cce56b64a0eb2.jpeg

Not much point showing the league table or squad after so few games but from October onwards I will show both those screens.

Thanks for reading.

Average start player swap wise, but some good results already! I find these challenges so entertaining to read. Not sure I could handle the stress of one myself yet 🤣

KIU and gl! 

Love this challenge! Shame about most of the players you’ve had so far, no surprise Sunderland didn’t provide a good player 😁

46 minutes ago, itzChris92 said:

Not sure I could handle the stress of one myself yet 🤣

The biggest stress is making sure I get all the screenshots!

44 minutes ago, RichD said:

no surprise Sunderland didn’t provide a good player 😁

Bit harsh on my new hero Will Grigg after his brace against Southampton school boys.

5 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

The biggest stress is making sure I get all the screenshots!

Bit harsh on my new hero Will Grigg after his brace against Southampton school boys.

Yeah very true actually, wonder if he will catch fire under you.

10 hours ago, Ian said:

game classed Will Grigg as a ‘Clinical striker’,

You mean you don’t class 5gls in 45 games for Sunderland to be “clinical” :O

8 hours ago, Aaron Thornton said:

It'll be interesting to see how this affects Dynamics? 

That is going to be interesting and it’s either going to break the team and me or break the game I think.

4 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

You mean you don’t class 5gls in 45 games for Sunderland to be “clinical” :O

That is going to be interesting and it’s either going to break the team and me or break the game I think.

I'm not sure how much the dyanmics are going affect things. I had a winger who disliked my lone striker and they still combined well.

2 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

I'm not sure how much the dyanmics are going affect things. I had a winger who disliked my lone striker and they still combined well.

I’ve had players that have the red lines between them and it’s never really effected my teams. I guess in this challenge some players aren’t going to be around long enough to ever get links either way with other players.