Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Guido Carrillo - The Bride In Beijing

Scratch

The player I've signed most in this year's game is not Pellegri, nor Esposito. It's not Jesus, nor Lukaku, nor KDB. It's a fellow called Guido Carrillo...

Why? Because he is one of the few players that normally offers to mentor youngsters with a focus on improving their Aerial skills. As it turns out he's also a handy backup player to have around.

But let's step back for a minute. Sooner or later, I'm going to try to get badge 6 by getting Ronaldo to 78 goals in a calendar year. The question on my mind is whether I should go all out attack Buck Wild TT Blaster style and hope enough of the goals go to him, or whether I'm better off with a laser focus on him as a single forward using a variant of my 2KC Defensive Sniper tactic. 

To help collect my thoughts, I decided on a test career using the Sniper tactic. At the same time, I was feeling a little sorry for Carrillo, who's always the bridesmaid and never the bride. And I realised I hadn't playing in China for a long time.

So the scene was set for Carrillo to step up and take his turn as the Bride, this time in Beijing.

carrillo-beijing-18.jpg.b81ded45d3015c3a6dec45e24a93ff05.jpg

But who was in his wedding party?

Transfers

Spoiler

carrillo-beijing-14.jpg.2655a7878b5489bab28c385607a8ed87.jpg

carrillo-beijing-15.jpg.aea62c98d393f8ee4536d9968e1dcc6c.jpg

carrillo-beijing-16.jpg.707f770c4e759f409261a5c9daaa68d9.jpg

carrillo-beijing-17.jpg.590fdc978ca983d6fc24420b3dc7195d.jpg

I was surprised by the quality of player I could sign in Beijing. It's much much easier than 2 years ago when China was first added. You do need a work permit for everyone and I missed out on some signings because of that, but last time around they were much stricter.

If I'd known beforehand that I could sign Pellegri, I probably would have done this with him rather than Carrillo. But Amiri, Pavon, Berghuis, Stark, Wilshere, van Ginkel. These are great players by the Chinese league standard. And then Gonzalo Martinez was released mid season (well end of his season, mid Chinese season) and we got him for free.

Tactics

For the most part I left my TT Blaster tactic behind (did use it a few times to see what it coudl do here). Instead I worked through some variations of my old Sniper tactic:

I tried using Attacking with it and Direct and a few other things, all of which worked okay, but in the end I went back to all the old instructions and a slightly tweaked formation:

image.png.14d8771319b1a75b58a00b4beb0924f2.png

Basically the same except IWBs instead of WBs and Carrillo as a TM rather than an AF as he's not that mobile...

It still works reasonably well, but it didn't feel quite as strong as it was in FMM20. It felt like more goals were going to other places and the most Carrillo got in a game was 3, whereas my previous strikers have gotten a couple of 4s or 5s over the course of a season. But... that could be down to Carrillo and the team not quite being top notch. They are excellent for China, but not as good as the team I'd built up the last time I used this in anger. 

Results

We won everything pretty easily:

carrillo-beijing-12.jpg.dbfd0f2a2258b0a7802f5a3befa5b0e0.jpg

Probably no point further expounding on them. 

Carrillo

You can see how he looks up above, as that screenshot at the top of the post was taken at the end of the season. He had one 3 week injury (which is also reflected in his screenshort up yonder):

Spoiler

carrillo-beijing-04.jpg.e212e9482f90a6d822828fa2972b1565.jpg

As for goals... Here it is:

carrillo-beijing-19.jpg.eb811b11172c57340cb3f669cb850ba3.jpg

A little over 1.5 goals per game. Not bad, but I would have liked it to be higher. For context, I once had Pedro get 2.43 goals per game while at Beijing. That was after 4 or 5 seasons of building, but 1.5 seems a little on the light side for this league with this team. 

Of course, if I can replicate that with Ronaldo (much better player, but much better league) and keep him on the pitch for 50+ games, I should be pretty close...

Anyway, there you go, it was a fun little save. Not sure just how much I actually learned, but it all helps...

Edited by Scratch
2 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

That’s impressive mate. Good luck with Ronaldo next.

Thanks mate. Not sure I'm going straight for the Ronnie one though. I will sooner or later, but might do something else first. I might go back to my Celtic save for another season (end of season 1, probablly going for 3x1KC but not sure yet) or I might even try the TT Blaster tactic in Beijing for a full season (new save though, not this one). Probably need to make my mind up in the next hour or so, as I'm lost if I don't have a save going... 😄

19 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Thanks mate. Not sure I'm going straight for the Ronnie one though. I will sooner or later, but might do something else first. I might go back to my Celtic save for another season (end of season 1, probablly going for 3x1KC but not sure yet) or I might even try the TT Blaster tactic in Beijing for a full season (new save though, not this one). Probably need to make my mind up in the next hour or so, as I'm lost if I don't have a save going... 😄

Yes go for 3x1KC!!

28 minutes ago, Scratch said:

LOL, don't tempt me... 🤣

This sounds like a fine idea.

I have to say, the guilt you’ve shown towards fictional (in terms of the narrative of the game, not real life) back-up players is phenomenal. 

6 hours ago, Rob said:

This sounds like a fine idea.

I have to say, the guilt you’ve shown towards fictional (in terms of the narrative of the game, not real life) back-up players is phenomenal. 

Hey, FMM is real life (only even more real)! These are my lads we're talking about. They go out there and bleed for me and the club. I gotta look after them...

added 0 minutes later
5 hours ago, smoggy90 said:

Nice little test mate, look forward to seeing your Ronaldo career.

Thanks mate. I think I have another season save to do before I get to that, but I'll do it soon enough... 🙂

5 hours ago, RichD said:

Awesome season scratch, he did great, look forward to seeing what’s next!

Thanks mate. I might have just given away what I'm doing next over in that other thread... 

40 minutes ago, Woody said:

You may be disappointed with the outcome but i'm impressed. 👍

Thanks mate - I'm not that disappointed, but I think I've come round to realising that the 2KC tactic will work wonders 3 or 4 seasons in when you have a truly world class team, but is only average for a 1 season save. So not sure how good it will be for Ronnie...