Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch Tries Ronny's Big Year [Finished]

Scratch

9 hours ago, broodje kip said:

That’s great. Keep going.

Thanks mate!

8 hours ago, RichD said:

Hope he keeps it up Scratch and get you to the magic land and a new badge that only a select few have 😁

Thanks mate, we'll have to see if the gates to magic land are open to me or not!

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Not going to lie, I think I’ll enjoy this whichever way it goes. 🤪

Haha, I think you'll enjoy it most if I fail to make it because of a missed penalty. I can tell you there is a missed penalty but not in the final game and probably won't make the screenshots...

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Looking very promising now. Good luck. 

Thanks mate. Not really that promising, but I gave it a decent crack...

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Nail-biting stuff! Gl for the rest of the challenge mate

Thanks mate. Will definitely need the luck and possibly something oher miracle! 

So, let's see what happened...

As a reminder, Ronny needed 39 goals in the second half of the calendar year. 

By the time we got to 24th November, he had scored 29 from 18 games, which was a cracking ratio for his age.

ronnys-year2-06.jpg.63f11af4eff218d22ac4de41e268b0a6.jpg

There had been a noticeable improvement in his output:

ronnys-year2-07.jpg.21ea411185671afcc6612658da1f1ee0.jpg

As you can see, starting at the 9th previous game againts Sporting Gijon, he went on a run of braces and hatricks, which was much better than his previous form.

The difference? I abandoned the pushed up wingbacks and other changes to instructions and went back to my original FMM20 Sniper Defensive tactic. I guess I should have used it all along. I did use it briefly in the first couple of weeks, but the team results were tepid, so I tried to make things more attacking. I went back to it when I noticed that the ball was mostly coming through the middle - which I didn't mind too much, until I noticed the wingers were not doing much at all. 

But also take note, in that screenshot above, of the missed game. He was really struggling with his condition at this point of the season and it got so low that I had to rest him. Which (foreshadowing) might come back in a minute.

So, things are back on track and he's scoring goal at a good rate. We just need to maintain that in the final run of games. Speaking of which... How many games do we have left? Let's look:

ronnys-year2-08.jpg.a29cd57e472bae28902313c1547703c8.jpg

Umm, only 5? Then there is a 3 week gap right up to 1st Jan? Hmm. Is there a Club World Championship in there? Nah, that was moved to the off season right? So what is that? The winter break? What a horrible time to have it!!!

So he needs 10 more goals, with 5 games left... This could all go down to a missed penalty...

In the next game he went out and scored 3:

ronnys-year2-09.jpg.6911c800f819b904152d855c40bf2878.jpg

So, he needed 7 goals from 4 games... But he'd already been stuggling with his condition and he picked up a knock in at the end of the previous game and his condition was down to 82 before the next game. So, I very reluctantly rested him. Meaning he needed 7 from 3...

The next game was away to Barca, which was going to be tough. We dominated and got 10 chances which is a fair amount for this tactic, but he only got the single goal.

ronnys-year2-11.jpg.25eae73ea550288556b9d5bce6db3266.jpg

Okay, now he needed 6 from 2... Cue Porto in the CL:

ronnys-year2-13.jpg.e0eb28ceb037b859715b6c9a922d4034.jpg

Hmm, only 1... We really needed a hatrick there.

That means he need 5 from the final game. And this is how it went:

ronnys-year2-14.jpg.a2e53d88522fdac6d66b9e07b30481c0.jpg

So... At the end of the challenge our lad looked like this:

ronnys-year2-17.jpg.349776909b668a55485fcf033a853777.jpg

And he ended up with 36 goals in the final half of 2021:

ronnys-year2-18.jpg.a7e9b52b06f61812b77b089a623ad375.jpg

So in total he scored 75 goals (64 - 25 + 36). A great return, but not enough to take old mate Messi's record from him. 

I could complain about knocks and conditioning and crazy calendar schedules that leave big breaks right when I need games, but I was amazingly lucky to get through that without him getting a real injury, so I guess it comes down to me using the wrong tactic for much of the season. I'll probably come back to this at some point and when I do, I guess I should full sniper on this and see what happens.

Thanks for reading!

Very unlucky that Scratch! It’s a very tough challenge this one, I’m sure if you went back to your sniper throughout you’d get it mate👍

5 minutes ago, RichD said:

Very unlucky that Scratch! It’s a very tough challenge this one, I’m sure if you went back to your sniper throughout you’d get it mate👍

Thanks mate, yeah I think I should have just gone with that. I don't think it's quite as effective this year, but it certainly worked when I went back to it, so it.s worth a try...

Just now, broodje kip said:

Very unlucky that. Looks like the sniper is the main thing after all. Bad luck

Yeah, probably would have been the better way to go. Or another way. But not where I ended up, that's for sure!

Ya very unlucky mate. I also came close when i missed the mark by 4 goals in my attempt and in the next 2 attempts, Ronaldo got injured for 4 months and 6 months respectively so i am currently keeping it dormant for now. Will go back to it in the future.

16 minutes ago, Kanegan said:

Ya very unlucky mate. I also came close when i missed the mark by 4 goals in my attempt and in the next 2 attempts, Ronaldo got injured for 4 months and 6 months respectively so i am currently keeping it dormant for now. Will go back to it in the future.

That's really harsh! I'm not sure when I'll do this again and that's not helping! 😄 

Really makes you think about the odd goal missed here and the odd penalty missed there... But that's the game, can't win everytime I guess!

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Oh no that’s really annoying, especially the realisation with the tactic. 

This is a cruel challenge.

Haha. Yeah, but I guess I could see it coming near the end, not as bad as a missed penalty in the last match, that is really really cruel.

2 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Haha. Yeah, but I guess I could see it coming near the end, not as bad as a missed penalty in the last match, that is really really cruel.

Haha stop reminding me of that! 

This one hurts cos of the amount of time and effort it takes to get to the end point. It feels like at least five season!

Gutting. I really thought you'd get there. Would have put money on it (and lost it 🤣).

It's hard to judge what tactic and system to apply. He's fantastic in the air throughout so you did right there. Should of trusted the 'ol sniper. Unlucky mate. I look forward to the re-do and have no doubt it'll be a success.

35 minutes ago, Rob said:

Haha stop reminding me of that! 

This one hurts cos of the amount of time and effort it takes to get to the end point. It feels like at least five season!

Yeah, it's like falling down a mountain then realising you need to climb it again. Not looking forward to that...

29 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

Gutting. I really thought you'd get there. Would have put money on it (and lost it 🤣).

It's hard to judge what tactic and system to apply. He's fantastic in the air throughout so you did right there. Should of trusted the 'ol sniper. Unlucky mate. I look forward to the re-do and have no doubt it'll be a success.

Yeah, I think other approaches would work as well, because he is so strong all over. I was banking on the aerial approach because I know his aerial attribute won't decrease. I still think it can work with the right tactic, and I think I messed that bit up.

Also, next time I will either go for older wingers, or I'll just pick one young winger and play them every game instead of rotating them. The lads I had were a little slow to ramp up.

15 hours ago, George Traistă said:

Pff, only 5 goals... So close!! I think is so frustrating to put the time and effort just to miss by a small margin... Get another go and better luck with it! 

Yeah, it would okay if the score just sucked, but now I have to come back and try it all over again, with every chance that I'll fail again! This is a hard one alright!

added 0 minutes later
11 hours ago, Ian said:

Hard luck there and not much to add to what others have said, just ran out of games. 

Thanks mate!

25 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

So close yet so far. 

It'll make success far sweater when you do nail this though. 

Thanks mate. I'm trying to not think about it, but I keep coming up with ideas... 🤣