Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career The My Way TT at Newcastle [Season 7]

Scratch

24 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

Imagine the scenes in the Bigg Market! Who cares if it's only the Carabao Cup! It's a start, they've got the taste of silverware now I reckon.

Haha, I can only imagine - literally! I've never even been to Newcastle, though I saw it in the distance once when I had to go to Durham for work (when I was living in the UK). Yeah, I'm one of those fans that've never even been there... 😢 Been following Newcastle since the mid 90s though. Chose them because I used to live in Newcastle in Australia when I was young. 

But yeah, gonna win some more silverware and I reckon the fans are working up an appetite for it now. 😄

6 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

Good improvement in season two. 

ASM looks like a quality player there now. 

Thanks mate - yeah, he's actually better than I thought he'd be. Well I knew he'd be really good, but I thought he'd score more than assist and I was wrong on that. To be fair, he assisting quite a lot in real life at the moment to!

10 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Thanks mate. And sounds good to celebrate at your restaurant. Just one question: Do you have anything other than broodje kip sandwiches on the menu? I mean, I wouldn't mind trying one (they actually look pretty good!), but I'm not sure everyone's up for that. 😄

We got some special Richard Davies beer

Just now, broodje kip said:

We got some special Richard Davies beer

I don't think I've tried Welsh beer! I'm getting excited for this now! It's almost midnight here, and I could really go for a Welsh beer and a broodje kip sandwich! 

2 hours ago, Scratch said:

I don't think I've tried Welsh beer! I'm getting excited for this now! It's almost midnight here, and I could really go for a Welsh beer and a broodje kip sandwich! 

Don't know what you're missing. I can't comment on the state of the sandwich but the beer is spectacular. 👌

11 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Don't know what you're missing. I can't comment on the state of the sandwich but the beer is spectacular. 👌

I'm sure it is! Just one question - do you drink it cold? 😄

As for broodje kip, I've been thinking "boring old sandwhich" and then I find out broodje kip is this:

Spoiler

image.png.a4bb50431a129b10290d52da4b81fa57.png

7 hours ago, Raven9 said:

Great season. Well done. I’m sure that there are more (and bigger) trophies to come

Thanks mate, I'm sure they will. We're still demonstrating a flakiness that's worrying, but getting better all the time. 

4 hours ago, Ian said:

Brilliant season with plenty of goals. Those trophies will come as others have mentioned and champions league football to look forward to.

Woohoo Champions League! Hoping we can win it in the next few season, would be confident with other tactics, but this one is a little "all or nothing", so hoping it's not the nothing side of that!

7 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I'm sure it is! Just one question - do you drink it cold? 😄

As for broodje kip, I've been thinking "boring old sandwhich" and then I find out broodje kip is this:

Hide contents

image.png.a4bb50431a129b10290d52da4b81fa57.png

Don’t let my profile pic fools you

7 hours ago, Kanegan said:

Cracking second season Scratch. More trophies to follow in the subsequent seasons.

Thanks mate. I hope so. We do seem a little flakey at the moment to know for sure.

42 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Thanks mate. I hope so. We do seem a little flakey at the moment to know for sure.

Wouldn't be Newcastle without the flakey-ness :)

Just remember even Keegan's entertainers lost a 12 point lead, so it's not all brown ale and pasties!

16 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

Wouldn't be Newcastle without the flakey-ness :)

Just remember even Keegan's entertainers lost a 12 point lead, so it's not all brown ale and pasties!

Oh mate, wait until you see the chase for the league title... We weren't 12 points in front or anything, but...

Season 3

Season 2 was a step forward from a club perspective, with Newcastle lifting the Carabao Cup. However, we fell short in the other competitions, with a late season fade to lose the league being one of the biggest disappointments.

Forget the individual goals for the moment - the biggest question we face is whether we can improve on this and win more than last year. Let's have a look.

Results

First up was the Carabao Cup and for the second season in a row, we won it, this time beating Leicester 6-1 in the final:

my-way-TT-s3-05.jpg.02c451bdb14cd734ba4ac5f468d137a4.jpg

Looking good. Next up was the League.

Like last season, we were number 1 for much of the year, and with 6 games to go, we were 1 point behind Liverpool with 2 games in hand. Normally, I'd be pretty confident about that, but our fixture list looked a little tough - screenshot taken after the first of the 6 remaining games (against Arsenal) had been played:

my-way-TT-s3-06.jpg.7d496134f93f34e4cdbe6d72b23ecdbf.jpg

Hmm, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City, Man Utd, Brentford and Chelsea. What could go wrong?

Our form in the lead up to that tricky patch had been pretty good:

my-way-TT-s3-11.jpg.e0217c3d95dc1bf9855e3c3fbb69fe18.jpg

But that's a tough run and we couldn't maintain that:

my-way-TT-s3-12.jpg.ac46b2236d0bc9c5747b368eacfe7427.jpg

We lost 4 of the last 6 games, once again fading away and losing the league (by 7 points in the end):

my-way-TT-s3-14.jpg.d439c78b20bd47f3e1c003508c285b85.jpg

I don't mind saying that I was gutted we'd thrown it away again.

Still there was no time to dwell on it, as we had an FA Cup Final against Tottenham to play. We could still improve on last season. Let's see how it went:

my-way-TT-s3-15.jpg.76a451a9c050be941b5557b1023d6774.jpg

They had the better of the game and it took a 91st minute goal from us to force the game into extra time. Gravenberch went down with an injury (his 4th from this season) and we played the second half of extra time with only 10 men - and they got the goal they needed to lift the trophy.

So... it was looking like a repeat of last year. Only the Champions League final against Bayern Munich remained. If we lost that, then the end result would be the same. Our performances had really tailed off, so I wasn't confident...

Let's see what happened:

Spoiler

my-way-TT-s3-16.jpg.6b10a563684bb115ee4855fdc3889c04.jpg

At last, we kicked into gear and smashed Bayern 6-2, with the lads getting 5 of the goals. Yes!! 😄

Whew...

With that out of the way, lets get back to the rest of the update.

Transfers

Not too much business this season:

Spoiler

my-way-TT-s3-18.jpg.d77f8209fdca87f5eed15c8fe01f17d5.jpg

my-way-TT-s3-19.jpg.d6053a330cdacbadf61f3ea7a0ccbf22.jpg

my-way-TT-s3-20.jpg.e125e33d3c0a72de1c8989a8cc3915ec.jpg

Nubel was equal second choice keeper, we got an offer we couldn't refuse  and the lad wanted to play more. We sold a couple of fringe players and bought some young players that look great. Oh and we got Asensio on a Bosman - doesn't really fit our team, but he was too good to walk past for free.

Not sure what's up with the loans - we didn't loan Solomon out 5 times, only once. That said, he seemed to benefit 5 loans worth and now looks even better than ASM, which gives us a tricky dilemma to solve next season:

my-way-TT-s3-24.jpg.f6b3b498a149e5baed040bd97363ced4.jpg

The Lads

The lads look like this at the end of the season:

my-way-TT-s3-28.jpg.4b62e4ab8dc772b61c4d92f5e85fbf41.jpg

my-way-TT-s3-30.jpg.dbe5e4dbe8444b5ad4e315bdc4ed19c8.jpg

my-way-TT-s3-32.jpg.0346a295dd02ba7f947b2c734ed572ac.jpg

Not sure if there's much left in them, but that'll do...

Injuries

Well. Not sure what to write this time. The last two seasons have only seen a couple of minor injuries to the lads, but this season? None at all!

Well, unless you count the injury to Sargent you can see in the FA Cup Final screenshot above. Except, that didn't trigger an injury message and he was fit for the CL final a week later.

Both Esposito and Sargent have the "Very Rarely Injured" message, but Pellegri doesn't and even if he did, there should have been more injuries than this. Not that I'm complaining - I'm just a little miffed.

Score

Here's the overview (40 in 47 for Pellegri, 41 in 46 for Esposito and 36 in 48 for Sargent):

my-way-TT-s3-22.jpg.7803d50e259d741bd4c49c039d928b92.jpg

And the history screens:

Spoiler

my-way-TT-s3-29.jpg.d2b771fc71f6517f23506ec0423ad9a2.jpg

my-way-TT-s3-31.jpg.05d43a53ff1dbfe02b26cd0675cf13af.jpg

my-way-TT-s3-33.jpg.c76e799113d607aca54f1539ae722bb8.jpg

Esposito in particular was real patchy near the end of the season, needing to be rested often and having a 4 or 5 rating every second game (from having lots of shots and missing them all):

my-way-TT-s3-09.jpg.aee7a9cca277365e724a739a0dc8e63b.jpg

Which gives us:

Season Pellegri Esposito Sargent Total
01 19 25 15 59
02 36 41 28 105
03 40 41 36 117
Total 95 107 79 281

A small step forward, but still short of the 120 goals we were hoping for last time. Not too disappointed about this, but want the lads to step up over the next season or two.

Thanks for reading.

I love a scratch update! Very unlucky to lose the league but money wise the champions league win will get you more money, which will be good for the following season. The boys look great and that’s a good tally, hopefully they can keep improving. Good luck 😁

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I love a scratch update! Very unlucky to lose the league but money wise the champions league win will get you more money, which will be good for the following season. The boys look great and that’s a good tally, hopefully they can keep improving. Good luck 😁

Thanks mate. Yeah, the CL win is important as it means more money, better players willing to join, better chance of keeping the lads, etc. But it was a very frustrating end of the season, to watch us, game by game, throw away the league. On our day we can blitz absolutely anyone, but while we will occasionally have a big loss, this was something different, where we go off the boil.

Anyway nothing to do, but come back and try again (though maybe with a trip to Germany first)...

19 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Thanks mate. Yeah, the CL win is important as it means more money, better players willing to join, better chance of keeping the lads, etc. But it was a very frustrating end of the season, to watch us, game by game, throw away the league. On our day we can blitz absolutely anyone, but while we will occasionally have a big loss, this was something different, where we go off the boil.

Anyway nothing to do, but come back and try again (though maybe with a trip to Germany first)...

Yeah hopefully next season you can start nailing down the prem, with such attacking tactics though you’re bound to lose a game or two in the prem, different in China and Scotland for us 😂

Ohhh I’ve finished the Dortmund one, will post in a bit 👀

Impressive season for the toon.

Shame about the just missing out on the league and the fa cup.

It could be the ages of the players, they just need to mature a bit so you can get a full season out of the  without them wilting at the end a bit.

Can't wait to see you be all conquering next season. I can feel it.

A shame that you came up short in the league but it doesn’t matter all that much when you’re smashing in that amount of goals. It’ll come though I’m sure and the fans can celebrate the Champions League victory. The trio are having no trouble at all finding the net either.

Keep it up.

Champions of Europe! If I didn't have to go to work in a few hours, I'd raise a beer to that. Brilliant stuff mate. The league will come next season, I can smell it.

Keep it going, dude! 👍

19 hours ago, Rich said:

Yeah hopefully next season you can start nailing down the prem, with such attacking tactics though you’re bound to lose a game or two in the prem, different in China and Scotland for us 😂

Yeah, I might be facing the fact that this tactic is good enough for the weaker leagues, but not quite solid enough for the EPL. But maybe another year or two will get us to the point where we're good enough it doesn't matter - hard to tell how it will go at this point...