Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch Tries the Borussia Babes [Attempt 2 Complete]

Scratch

On 22/02/2021 at 15:30, Scratch said:

The Tactics

• Because Attacking will likely mean slightly less chances, I'm turning on Runs With The Ball. I think we'll be sitting ever slightly so deeper, but when we get it we'll run forward. I occasionally use this with Balanced and it feels like there is more space to run at (but I could be imagining it), so I'm going for a middle ground here.

Run At Defense is my secret weapon this year, it's by far my favorite instruction. Try dropping mentality and increasing tempo with RAD on, it's really good. 

10 hours ago, Ian said:

I missed the introduction of your second attempt so good luck and hopefully this will be the one.

I like your idea with the mentality and it’s something similar to how I’m approaching things with gung ho tactics recently which I’ve just mentioned in the 1kc help thread. I’ll go attacking at home and balanced away and just use overload when required. Seems like it’s a decent way of going about it and I’d say our results seem better without really losing the goal output from what I’m seeing.

I really don’t like how the progress page isn’t so clear on the injures which is a shame as if it was it would be a great way to show them. I suppose it does show them even though it’s hard to work out when they actually occurred so I may start using that page to show injuries going forward.

Thanks mate - the way it's worked out as the season has progressed is that I start ervery game on Attacking and leave it 10 to 15 minutes to see what's happening. If the opposition are getting lots of chances, then I'll go back to Balanced or Counter. If we're not getting any chances then I'll go to Balanced. I rarely go back to Overloading, but sometimes I will if I sense weakness in the opposition. Then I continue to monitor things throughout the game and tweak when necessary.

Much more work than last year when it was truly plug and play (although maybe it still will be later in the save or in a weaker league). But getting better results than I was in earlier saves this year.

I'll post season 1 later today, but results were more stable, and we actually scored more goals over the course of the season (although that could be from having Lukaku as backup striker). We still had a couple of blowouts and I think we even conceded a couple more goals than in attempt one, but it felt like we were in much better control and the results were better.

Yeah, that injury graph is well off the scale, not just with the dates - he was actually injured for 1 month, then 1 month, then 3 weeks, but the graph doesn't look like that at all. Still it's good to show when a player is just out injured all the time.

10 hours ago, hhooo said:

Run At Defense is my secret weapon this year, it's by far my favorite instruction. Try dropping mentality and increasing tempo with RAD on, it's really good. 

Yeah, I've used run at defence religuously for several years now, but took it off for the TT Blaster because I found we didn't need it when everyone was in the box with overloading. But once I sit deeper, I put it straight back on. Definitely seems to help... 

Increasing tempo is an interesting one. I find it gives me more shots, but not necessarily more goals. I've actually found that slow is the other way around - I get less shots, but a higher percentage seem to go in. I try all of them every so often, but still haven't found one that is reliably good enough (with my tactic and my players) to make it the starting instruction. It sort of feels like they all work well sometimes, but none of them really stand out as the way to go. But I'll keep experimenting. 

Attempt 2 - Season 1

So, let's see how the season panned out.

Transfers

Here's the list of transfers (I won't go through them again, did that above):

Spoiler

borussia2-s1-34.jpg.9f0ed76e6beca5566aa9555c6aee1237.jpg

borussia2-s1-35.jpg.fd96a2ba250325ff01b519634a29da15.jpg

borussia2-s1-36.jpg.4f8f8b48925bad3bc924c1bd2cf09d64.jpg

borussia2-s1-37.jpg.fa823cd832b43e3256be7f0e100387a5.jpg

Injuries

Bad season for Brewster, with a one month injury, followed by another one month injury, followed by a three week injury, all in close succession. The rest were very lucky with only a 10 day injury for Sancho and an in-game injury for Reyna. 

Spoiler

borussia2-s1-09.jpg.458d8468f24ca426b74f21251a1bd41b.jpg

borussia2-s1-13.jpg.1c7c43b187fb5e8fc7fe88bcdd9ee9e5.jpg

borussia2-s1-15.jpg.b3af8b7f27e7eb2ecb681bc3b944cef4.jpg

borussia2-s1-21.jpg.1aaded3087a37be00e1a6b020d09a6ef.jpg

Reyna injured:

borussia2-s1-28.jpg.75f7a8fce0338799c9da769664cfa960.jpg

But no injury after the game:

borussia2-s1-29.jpg.5ecd96201e049f873b3b5ab269d72167.jpg

The Lads

Here's what the guys looked like at the end of the season:

Spoiler

borussia2-s1-39.jpg.72ca93dc466561f41db23aba97b25af5.jpg

borussia2-s1-41.jpg.77f8a128d0e63c47be2da03ee051a2f8.jpg

borussia2-s1-43.jpg.88a9fce63257b31fef38dbcffa9a6cfd.jpg

borussia2-s1-45.jpg.3fcf7c4c94cba75f332b0bb6491e7b7f.jpg

borussia2-s1-47.jpg.ae88ebab4b5c8e80d94382f436d4cf31.jpg

Nothing particularly amazing there, except for Bellingham's extraordinary development of Pace (up to 18 from whatever it was at the start). I had the focus attribute on that for most of the time and it seems he did some extra work with our Fitness coach.

Results

So how did we actually go? Well not so great in the domestic cups: We lost the Supercup 2-1 to Bayern (despite having 33 shots to 5) and we got knocked out of the DFB Pokal at the semi final stage, going down 5-4 to Mainz in one of our few blowouts this year:

Spoiler

borussia2-s1-08.jpg.953c20c49ffed37d5296c1dbf85bfe94.jpg

borussia2-s1-25.jpg.842f91b2ea898fb2b09a41fa4bcbe97e.jpg

We did well in the League though, scoring 129 goals while conceding 41 (better than the first season in the last attempt which was 116 to 38):

borussia2-s1-32.jpg.1ac395b82e6f5b7833248f8f2079a7eb.jpg

So we got even more goals than the first time around, despite moving back from Overload to Attacking as our default and playing a fair chunk of games using Balanced as well. Perhaps that's down to the presence of Mr Lukaku though.

Anyway that gives us a sub total of 182 points (88+94).

But the real question is how we went in the UCL. Did we get the Final appearance we need to cross that off as a benchmark?

Spoiler

Steady on! If I tell you now, this will lose all the suspense that's built up! I'll tell you at the end though...

Contributions

Here's the full history:

Spoiler

borussia2-s1-40.jpg.5060145f6d4db89ef27c384cb797d7d2.jpg

borussia2-s1-42.jpg.3b7540685d6ea1d20ca7780ff650c7d9.jpg

borussia2-s1-44.jpg.03f54502e63345366078cbd329edc25c.jpg

borussia2-s1-46.jpg.2a3a58a2a973020bc9f49c7a20686c50.jpg

borussia2-s1-48.jpg.c158cbdadec6dca53add4f0405d20fdb.jpg

And here's the summary:

borussia2-s1-38.jpg.5add9b415636da13f79c8e158fe09247.jpg

Giving us:

• 69 points for Haaland (52+17) in what was a great season for him as the right TM and penalty taker.
  • 36 points for Sancho (20+16), a decent return for him, playing in the AMC T role (starting 2 out every 3 games)
  • 35 points for Bellingham (15+20), playing in the AMC T role as well (starting every 3rd game and coming off the bench in others) - not sure why so many of you have trouble getting results from him! :P 
  • 30 points for Reyna (4+26), doing a great job on the right wing.
  • 27 points for Brewster (20+7), which is good return for someone who missed around 3 months.

That adds up to 197 points, which is better than season 1 in my first attempt (181 points) - so having Lukaku get 46 contributions hasn't slown us down any...

So it looks like the player choices and the tactical changes worked out well. All up, the first season subtotal is 379 points (compared to 351 last time), which puts us in a great place to get a good score on the leaderboard.

But of course there is the UCL Final appearance benchmark to reach, either this season or next, hanging over us like a twitchy guillotine... 

UCL Run

Right, lets get to it. The group stage was a breeze, giving us a matchup with Liverpool in the second round. Great, a nice easy start... What could go wrong...

They beat us 2-1 away in the first leg, leaving us some work to do in the return leg. Gladly, we were up to the task, beating them 5-2 in the return leg:

borussia2-s1-20.jpg.63d3e190816ec7282366e4c61c87acf9.jpg

For the record, this is the tactic we used for this game (after using the TT Blaster in the first leg):

borussia2-s1-19.jpg.8a9f5a3559e7a146e2d9de749bf5e257.jpg

It worked a treat and made me wonder if I should do something similar in future. 

That gave us a matchup with PSG in the quarter finals. The first leg was 3-3 away, giving them a good amount of away goals. I was quite nervous going into the second leg, but we won 4-2 in the end:

borussia2-s1-23.jpg.699d968002403a74ee78dfaf9304cee9.jpg

Once again we went with the TT Blaster in the 1st leg and switched to something more more defensive in the 2nd leg:

borussia2-s1-22.jpg.589fc00f3965dcf185b29923910abd16.jpg

That got us to the semi finals, where we faced Atletico Madrid. A win here would see us through to the final and the most difficult benchmark ticked off. Let's see how it went:

Spoiler

Once again we went with the TT Blaster in the first leg and we got a 4-1 victory, so we stuck with the TT Blaster for the second leg too.

We had a 1-1 draw in that:

borussia2-s1-26.jpg.f435c9494e729800e234319a6f58c6d0.jpg

Meaning we're headed to the final and we've pass the benchmark! 😄

And for the record, we won the final beating Bayern Munich on penalties after a 3-3 draw, with a couple of late goals needed to get us to extra time:

borussia2-s1-30.jpg.5c4f88ba62e1615d0c9a4f69b641dbec.jpg

What a ride! 20 bonus points as well, give us a total of 399 points for season 1. Now we can relax and focus on scoring more goals in season 2. 

Thanks for reading! 

Edited by Scratch

Yeees Scratch, awesome first season all round mate, bet that felt good after failing your own benchmark 😂

This is going to be a big score, your signings are absolutely brilliant again. Shame Lukaku’s goals and assists aren’t counting towards it!

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yeees Scratch, awesome first season all round mate, bet that felt good after failing your own benchmark 😂

This is going to be a big score, your signings are absolutely brilliant again. Shame Lukaku’s goals and assists aren’t counting towards it!

Thanks mate, it was a really good season. I wasn't adding the score up as I went, but I felt like we were scoring as much as before or even better, while games felt a lot more stable. But I was still nervous as heck about the UCL games, was so relieved to get through them.

Wouldn't want to fail my own benchmark twice! 😄 Mind you, I won't be surprised if Brewster gets a 12 month injury now and leave me stranded on 27 contributions. 

added 0 minutes later
19 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Massive season Scratch. Next one would be interesting 

Thanks mate. Now tell me who I should use for player 6: Pellegri or Esposito? 🤣

9 minutes ago, Kanegan said:

Great season Scratch. You came back super strong in this attempt.

Thanks mate, I actually could quite believe how well it went when I added it up. I was thinking better chance in Europe, probably not as many goals (even though I brought Lukaku in to boost goals). So I was pretty chuffed.

2 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Thanks mate, it was a really good season. I wasn't adding the score up as I went, but I felt like we were scoring as much as before or even better, while games felt a lot more stable. But I was still nervous as heck about the UCL games, was so relieved to get through them.

Wouldn't want to fail my own benchmark twice! 😄 Mind you, I won't be surprised if Brewster gets a 12 month injury now and leave me stranded on 27 contributions. 

added 0 minutes later

Thanks mate. Now tell me who I should use for player 6: Pellegri or Esposito? 🤣

I reckon Pelligri would be 21 buy now so Esposito it is!

Just now, broodje kip said:

Tough choice 😬. Lets go for Pellegri then

Actually I knew you'd be upset with either of those choices, so I'm going for a different player - one I've seen play against me in the Bundesliga, but not one that was really on my radar before that...

1 minute ago, Scratch said:

Actually I knew you'd be upset with either of those choices, so I'm going for a different player - one I've seen play against me in the Bundesliga, but not one that was really on my radar before that...

Sessengon? 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Thielmann?

I have no idea other than that 😂

Nope!

2 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Oh, oh I know. Thomas Muller?

That's right! It's the Thomas Muller regen!! 

Wait, not that's wrong too...

Muisala has committed to Germany in real life now 🤔

I even started a new game to find out what German strikers there are 😂

Alright... as fun as this is, let's end it now. If we're distracting @Rich from his various careers, we're doing the world a disservice! 

Anyway, this guy isn't someone I'd heard of before and is a bit of a risk compared to Pellegri, Esposito or Badji, the obvious ones I could have chosen. But he scored against me a few times and I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to give him a go. He has a good base and it says he has some development left and I should be able to get him to 15 easy enough even if I only get a couple of updates out of him.

So without further ado, here he is (signed with 10 days to go before his 21st birthday):

Spoiler

1934800651_Screenshot_20210224-232532_FM21Mobile.jpg.ac8b36b3b03e3719651c1102d2ee06f8.jpg

Note, I expect this choice to earn me several "free to use Eposito" passes for future use!

Edited by Scratch
1 minute ago, Scratch said:

Alright... as fun as this is, let's end it now. If we're distracting @Rich from his various careers, we're doing the world a disservice! 

Anyway, this guy isn't someone I'd heard of before and is a bit of a risk compared to Pellegri, Esposito or Badji, the obvious ones I could have chosen. But he scored against me a few times and I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to give him a go. He has a good base and it says he has some development left and I should be able to get him to 15 easy enough even if I only get a couple of updates out of him.

So without further ado, here he is (signed with 10 days to go before his 21st birthday):

Hide contents

1934800651_Screenshot_20210224-232532_FM21Mobile.jpg.ac8b36b3b03e3719651c1102d2ee06f8.jpg

Missed him! Looks decent, should do the job, be such a shame if he didn’t reach the benchmark though 👀

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

Missed him! Looks decent, should do the job, be such a shame if he didn’t reach the benchmark though 👀

I think it's more likely Brewster will miss it to be honest! No worries with this lad...

7 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I think it's more likely Brewster will miss it to be honest! No worries with this lad...

Famous last words....

9 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Oh man love this lad. He once fucked my team up while playing last year

As in scored a bunch against you? Yeah, he's done that to me as well.

I was originally planning to sign Salcedo, even loaded Italy so he would be available, but he's developed too much (in the wrong shape) over the first season, so I started looking around at who else was available.

My choices came down to PEB (the Pellegri, Esposito, Badji trio), but I'm using them in my 3x1KC in Beijing save, and I'm using Pellegri and Esposito in my Newcastle one, so it was too much even for me! I had no idea who to use and then this lad came up in a search and I remember him scoring against us and went F it, he'll do!  

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Famous last words....

Look, let's face it, you're no Sir Alex and these mind games aren't going to work. Enjoy your short time left at the top of the leaderboard! 😄