Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch Tries the Borussia Babes [Attempt 2 Complete]

Scratch

Just now, Scratch said:

Look, let's face it, you're no Sir Alex and these mind games aren't going to work. Enjoy your short time left at the top of the leaderboard! 😄

I’m Dame Richard Davies that’s why😂

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

I’m Dame Richard Davies that’s why😂

Wait... now... the mind games... I think they are starting to work... 😨

Congratulations on the CL victory and you’re free now for the second season. It was a smashing season and it’s looking like this will be a big total.

I feel like I want to go again on this and preferably before I get the winter update so I’ll have to find the time.

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Congratulations on the CL victory and you’re free now for the second season. It was a smashing season and it’s looking like this will be a big total.

I feel like I want to go again on this and preferably before I get the winter update so I’ll have to find the time.

Thanks mate - yeah it's just a few tweaks over the last attempt and it's given us that extra edge. Never stop experimenting, hey?

Would love to see you try it again, I've been really enjoying this, so many little things to consider - like suddenly remembering "that's right, there are only 3 subs allowed in season 2", when you have all 6 on the field at once! 😄

Mind you, you have a lot on the go at the moment!

Nice one mate. Massive score too. I expect you to smash Rich's score at the top of the leaderboard. Look forward to season 2. Great choice for the 6th player. 👌

4 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Nice one mate. Massive score too. I expect you to smash Rich's score at the top of the leaderboard. Look forward to season 2. Great choice for the 6th player. 👌

Thanks mate. Wanted to do something slightly more interesting this time arounf (not just Pellegri or Esposito). We'll see how well we go, but it is a good start.

9 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Nice, put the pressure on him😎

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

Nice, put the pressure on him😎

Yeah, please, give me some pressure! This is such a cake walk that I'm getting very bored... I need some pressure to keep me interested.

20 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I decided to go Balanced all the time (still a handful of games I need to change it) and we're doing alright:

Screenshot_20210228-110925_FM21 Mobile-01.jpeg

That is interesting as I’ve often thought about just going balanced all of the time too. I believe I even tested it a bit towards the end of last years game and I thought looking at the results that balanced seemed much better away but not necessarily at home. It stuck with me and as I’ve mentioned previously I now tend to go attacking at home and balanced away. Perhaps just balanced all of the time may be the way and I’ll be sure to test more on the new update that’s for sure.

Edited by Ian
3 minutes ago, Ian said:

That is interesting as I’ve often thought about just going balanced all of the time too. I believe I even tested it a bit towards the end of last years game and I thought looking at the results that balanced seemed much better away but not necessarily at home. It stuck with me and as I’ve mentioned previously and I now tend to go attacking at home and balanced away. Perhaps just balanced all of the time may be the way and I’ll be sure to test more on the new update that’s for sure.

It definitely seems to be working better for me, at the moment. But at the same time, it seemed that attacking stopped being as effective as it had in the first time of the season.

I was wondering whether other teams got used to my tactic (starting with attacking), and by changing it to starting with balanced they saw it as a new tactic and didn't know how to play against it. 

Just a theory in the back of my mind, no idea whether that's my imagination or not. I think the key point is just keep trying stuff and when it stops working, try something different.

2 hours ago, Scratch said:

I decided to go Balanced all the time (still a handful of games I need to change it) and we're doing alright:

Screenshot_20210228-110925_FM21 Mobile-01.jpeg

Nice amount of goals scored that Scratchy. Looks you’d be able to get rid of the mischievous @Rich off the top of the table!

3 hours ago, broodje kip said:

Nice amount of goals scored that Scratchy. Looks you’d be able to get rid of the mischievous @Rich off the top of the table!

Thanks mate, haven't added it up yet, but would be surprised if I didn't knock him down a place. All be smooth sailing this season, lots of goals, lots of fun. Almost finished now, but sort of want to keep going for season 3! 😄

Looking very good Scratch. Funny with my old goal bonanza, that’s what I did second season was go balanced. I’ve tested it over a couple of years and it only works either overload or balanced for some reason. Good going, but I will never be taken off top spot 😂

Season 2

As I said above, this season has been very enjoyable with lots of big scores. It might be down to the team leveling up a little, or maybe the move to Balanced as the base for my tactic, or maybe even to the strength of the players coming off the bench.

Whatever it was, it worked, and I'm sort of sad it's over now. Anyway, here is the write up for season 2.

Transfers

Spoiler

borussia2-s2-21.jpg.04b1c4046f65cbb7f5fe7514b7b7f2fb.jpg

borussia2-s2-22.jpg.3cbcb85bae8516b177048b8326bac2e4.jpg

borussia2-s2-23.jpg.31e465d671956079001f567435d6b9db.jpg

borussia2-s2-11.jpg.3d6143b7d11de0f8f356f6828ea59a52.jpg

We made almost no changes at the start of the season, but Can and Dahoud weren't getting playing time, so in January we sold them and replaced them with Bruno and Llorente. We normally started with 5 of our 6 players and had the 6th and both Lukaku and Bruno coming of the bench. Not bad...

Signing 2 new midfielders did make Goretzka paranoid though, thinking I was going to get rid of him. I kept playing him, but it didn't go away and he wouldn't sign a new contract, and his performances did drop off a little, so maybe it balanced out.

Results

Spoiler

borussia2-s2-03.jpg.b9b57d4b5791231a23bc90fb1e3f2686.jpg

borussia2-s2-13.jpg.2d7ded6cb8c59e5a815d24b610b40901.jpg

• We won the Supercup 5-2, with 4 goals for Brewster (he tended to score hat-tricks or more then have a few games taking it easy). 
  • In a shock, we were knocked out of the DFB-Pokal in the Quarter Final by Leverkusen, going down 3-2.
  • We breezed through the UCL, right up to the Final, where Barca beat us 3-2 to deny us the 20 point bonus

But the main thing you're waiting to see is the league:

borussia2-s2-18.jpg.916833c0c3cf16e5af31851140688df8.jpg

It was a massive season and we earned 190 points (96 GD + 94 league points). 142 goals in the league! As I said above, very enjoyable.

Injuries

Spoiler

borussia2-s2-04.jpg.4db6a6e07a5bfdaadbe720d715ebcd6b.jpg

borussia2-s2-06.jpg.2533d111fc095864d8b5bcd7f7895e9d.jpg

borussia2-s2-09.jpg.d72f1d4622e9bcdd6655de32387ddab5.jpg

borussia2-s2-17.jpg.a6e820b6cddd30f883ad3342aca8b1eb.jpg

• Sancho missed 1 month
  • Haaland missed 3 weeks
  • Bellingham missed 3 weeks
  • Brewster missed 10 days

The Lad

Spoiler

borussia2-s2-25.jpg.3288c63ee8d6bc116ae511047c70c232.jpg

borussia2-s2-27.jpg.a5d3afcbc6e600ba6240bd81071f5e0d.jpg

borussia2-s2-29.jpg.32d1f3e67c54a2ec941f5ca19a9307e4.jpg

borussia2-s2-31.jpg.846eb8ef5587468e16bdb2d2f6d27d72.jpg

borussia2-s2-33.jpg.f396ee99df8c0b9637324b4b2d340a10.jpg

borussia2-s2-35.jpg.4eb202d7a958d59a5ba0d7ddc53cb46b.jpg

That's what the players looked like at the end of the season: All looking very good, although none have gone full superstar (yet).

Contributions

Spoiler

borussia2-s2-26.jpg.712f61a4cf601b6ed4575afe4e94910a.jpg

borussia2-s2-28.jpg.622388cf018af4cce90dea23a580dbfe.jpg

borussia2-s2-30.jpg.1471522842430a57140ee7c97fc4e0d1.jpg

borussia2-s2-32.jpg.89e27f431aecb0e8c4dba78ad7ad8556.jpg

borussia2-s2-34.jpg.63567d73fbe803cdb867fb69ee718a14.jpg

borussia2-s2-36.jpg.a00f573245d1367e213ffb53c1a9c332.jpg

borussia2-s2-24.jpg.610efef16665349d145a1f8511fb7050.jpg

A magnificent season:

• 60 points from Haaland, in another epic season from him.
  • 28 points from Sancho, which was slighly underwhelming and did nothing to change my mind that he's not worth signing in FMM21.
  • 33 points from Bellingham, who did well once again, even though he was often filling in the gaps (replacing Sancho at AM/T or Reyna RW).
  • 32 points from Reyna, doing a good job out on the right wing.
  • 43 points from Brewster, who proved himself a good option up front (would sign again). 
  • 36 points from Burkhardt, who was decent.

And that adds up to 232 points.

Put that together with the 190 points above in the team section and the total for this season is 422 points.

Final Score

379 points for season 1, plus 20 points for the season 1 UCL win (in the spoilers after the main season), plus 422 points for this season - that means:

The total is 821 points

Thanks for reading and sorry to @Rich who needs to work on his mind games a bit more...

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Looking very good Scratch. Funny with my old goal bonanza, that’s what I did second season was go balanced. I’ve tested it over a couple of years and it only works either overload or balanced for some reason. Good going, but I will never be taken off top spot 😂

Interesting. For me Attacking worked really well for a while, then tailed off... I have no idea what's going on... Other than that you are totally wrong about that top spot thing. About to head over to the post to correct that now! 😄

Well done mate, that’s a great effort, even with me trying and failing with mind games 😂

Loads of goals there, you going back to your TT now? Be interesting to see if balanced worked on that as well!

Just now, Rich said:

Well done mate, that’s a great effort, even with me trying and failing with mind games 😂

Loads of goals there, you going back to your TT now? Be interesting to see if balanced worked on that as well!

Thanks mate, it was just a golden season, but yeah, now I really want to try this on my TT. Or the 3x1KC? Damn, so confused! But I will do a season on one of them before venturing back to Mr Ronny or Mr Rooney...

1 minute ago, broodje kip said:

I’m happy with the score. You managed to get @Rich out of where he surely doesn’t deserves 😂

I guess I can’t top every leaderboard 😥

Or saying that I don’t think I’m top of any 😂

2 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

I’m happy with the score. You managed to get @Rich out of where he surely doesn’t deserves 😂

Thanks mate! He normally beats me, so I'm happy to get one over him. For now at least. The old Rich would have already started a save to try and beat this, but maybe I'm in with a chance as he's slowing down a lot now. 😄

Just now, Albionic said:

Great work scratch! Knocking the Welshman off the top for now, although he will be back I imagine!

Thanks mate. Yeah, I'm sure he will be. Or someone else will come along and beat it. That's the way it goes with these challenges. 😄

Epic mate. Told you the score would be massive. So important getting the main benchmarks in the first season so you can experiment a little in the second season. Worked wonders for you. Great stuff. 👍

1 hour ago, Dai_ said:

Epic mate. Told you the score would be massive. So important getting the main benchmarks in the first season so you can experiment a little in the second season. Worked wonders for you. Great stuff. 👍

Thanks mate! Yeah, it was so close reaching it in that first season, there were a number of games where it could easily have gone the other way, but crossing that off the list really freed things up for season 2. 

I had a feeling after the first season that this would end up a massive total and I was proved right. Brilliant, well done and a nice benchmark for others to try and chase down.

3 hours ago, Ian said:

I had a feeling after the first season that this would end up a massive total and I was proved right. Brilliant, well done and a nice benchmark for others to try and chase down.

Thanks mate. Yeah, I'm sure others will put this score in the shade sooner or later. I bet you'll be one of them!

I gotta say, I really enjoyed this challenge. It's hard to settle back into a TT with only 3 players to worry about, not caring about assists, not having to worry about GD etc...

I'm trying the tactic changes I used here (Balanced, turning on the high press and running with the ball) and so far it's felt a little sluggish in the TT (at Newcastle). Only been about 6 games and we're winning well, but not as many goals as here.

Maybe because England is stronger? Or maybe these instructions don't suite the formation as well - it's the same formation basically, but here I used an T behind a P (so they both score) and in the TT I use a AM behind a T (so the AM provides more stability and the T scores more). Maybe that's enough that the instructions are not as effective.

8 hours ago, Scratch said:

Thanks mate. Yeah, I'm sure others will put this score in the shade sooner or later. I bet you'll be one of them!

I gotta say, I really enjoyed this challenge. It's hard to settle back into a TT with only 3 players to worry about, not caring about assists, not having to worry about GD etc...

I'm trying the tactic changes I used here (Balanced, turning on the high press and running with the ball) and so far it's felt a little sluggish in the TT (at Newcastle). Only been about 6 games and we're winning well, but not as many goals as here.

Maybe because England is stronger? Or maybe these instructions don't suite the formation as well - it's the same formation basically, but here I used an T behind a P (so they both score) and in the TT I use a AM behind a T (so the AM provides more stability and the T scores more). Maybe that's enough that the instructions are not as effective.

I’ve done a bit of testing for this myself over the last couple of years and I have found it’s more to do with the league, in the smaller leagues, teams are so poor you can get away with overload more as you’re usually on the front foot for the whole match and the other team are not up to it so can’t get much going other than backs against the wall. They usually struggle to get out of there own half.

Overload still works great in big leagues but not as consistent, you get a lot more of them games where the other team has the quality to break you down defensively on the counter, going balanced seems to cut that down for me and you create a lot of chances still as balanced just makes you take your time a bit more in my experience.

I could be wrong as this is me, but that’s what I found from it 😂

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I’ve done a bit of testing for this myself over the last couple of years and I have found it’s more to do with the league, in the smaller leagues, teams are so poor you can get away with overload more as you’re usually on the front foot for the whole match and the other team are not up to it so can’t get much going other than backs against the wall. They usually struggle to get out of there own half.

Overload still works great in big leagues but not as consistent, you get a lot more of them games where the other team has the quality to break you down defensively on the counter, going balanced seems to cut that down for me and you create a lot of chances still as balanced just makes you take your time a bit more in my experience.

I could be wrong as this is me, but that’s what I found from it 😂

Yeah, that sounds sensible.

I'm in a weird place now where I'm not sure what works best. Definitely Balanced is better for results, as I'm conceding less, while still scoring - but I'm not scoring as much as I could in Germany. Maybe that's just the EPL for you...

I've had some success with Attacking and Slow, but it doesn't work all the time. Maybe it's my plan B if Balanced isn't working.

Then again, Attacking and Normal seems to edge them both - some of the time. And maybe Overloading is best against the weaker teams - but in most games it's not that much better than everything else!

So I've very confused and will have to keep swapping things around. I think I might go with Attacking / Normal for now and then switch to Balanced if that's not working...