Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch Tries the Borussia Babes [Attempt 2 Complete]

Scratch

Ohhh nooooo, gutted for you mate, that’s such a tough one to take, especially as the champions league benchmark was your idea 😂

You need a bit of luck, my run to the final second season was very easy! 

Get Esposito or Pellegri in!

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ohhh nooooo, gutted for you mate, that’s such a tough one to take, especially as the champions league benchmark was your idea 😂

You need a bit of luck, my run to the final second season was very easy! 

Get Esposito or Pellegri in!

False news! I surely couldn't have been the one responsible for this! 

Taking no prisoners with recruitment this time around, especially for the single CD position. Maybe a little more clever with how I approach things. But sticking to the TT Blaster, so every chance I'll go down in flames again...

@broodje kip would love me using Esposito or Pellegri. But no, I decided to try to someone different, at least in season one (an Englishman). I reserve the right to go with Esposito or Pellegri in the second season if they seem like the best option (I'm planning for someone else, but who knows how it will work out).

7 minutes ago, Albionic said:

Really unlucky to go out to Juve like that, Ronaldo still producing in the champions league

Good luck for your next attempt!

Thanks mate! Yeah, I don't know about this Ronny character. He kills this challenge for me and not long before that he killed the Ronny challenge by falling a couple of goals short. He's definitely not getting a Christmas card this year...

26 minutes ago, Scratch said:

False news! I surely couldn't have been the one responsible for this! 

Taking no prisoners with recruitment this time around, especially for the single CD position. Maybe a little more clever with how I approach things. But sticking to the TT Blaster, so every chance I'll go down in flames again...

@broodje kip would love me using Esposito or Pellegri. But no, I decided to try to someone different, at least in season one (an Englishman). I reserve the right to go with Esposito or Pellegri in the second season if they seem like the best option (I'm planning for someone else, but who knows how it will work out).

Yeah I still went with my goal bonanza but actually made adjustments for second season to be more solid, which isn’t something I liked doing, only getting 119 league goals or whatever 😂

Im going for Greenwood, he is awesome, used him in my TT last year, great player. If not then I have no idea.

Good luck mate, hope you get it this time 🤞🏻

Failing at your own created benchmark. 🤣

Jokes apart, very unlucky man. CL is very unpredictable from what i have seen in my plays so good luck for your next attempt.

Oh, man. This sucks. At least you get to improve on a surprisingly poor showing from Boadu as the 6th wonderkid. 

Greenwood was my choice for a 6th player, tbh. I've nearly finished season one and I've been going out of my mind thinking how I can add a 6th player to my tactic. Another striker is the only thing I can add and I know Greenwood is good. It's him or Esposito. 😂 My players scores are pretty average, so far. Apart from Haaland (and my 5th wonderkid, no spoilers yet) so I need a striker with goals in him.

Anyway, good luck with your second attempt.

1 hour ago, Kanegan said:

This!

Brilliantly written up @Scratch and that would have been a fine score. I’m in the process of giving this a second go too.

Unlucky Scratch.

I knew as soon as I saw the challenge that the CL target would cause a good few failed attempts. Just glad I’m not the only one lol. Ronaldo is annoying as he just always seems to produce it in the CL I’ve found.

Good luck for your next attempt. I’ll be going again on this one I’m sure as I went a bit too safe the first season last time which hindered our final total.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

Yeah I still went with my goal bonanza but actually made adjustments for second season to be more solid, which isn’t something I liked doing, only getting 119 league goals or whatever 😂

Im going for Greenwood, he is awesome, used him in my TT last year, great player. If not then I have no idea.

Good luck mate, hope you get it this time 🤞🏻

I'm gonna stick with the TT Blaster to start with, but now have Varane and Skrinaar sharing the single CD role, so hopefully they will help hold back the goal tide. But practically speaking, I may need to go more conservative at some point. 

It's not Greenwood! It's a bit of a risk, as the player is 2nd tier now (unlike Greenwood), but still decent. He was one of the hottest young stikers on the game a couple of year ago, then became pretty average, but I think he's in the middle now. We'll have to see how he turns out.

12 hours ago, Kanegan said:

Jokes apart, very unlucky man. CL is very unpredictable from what i have seen in my plays so good luck for your next attempt.

Haha yeah, the irony... Still, I guess now I don't have to feel quite so bad when other people have the same problem.

I do think the CL is more unpredictable than last year, thoguh it could be my imagination because of the crazy tactic... But if you're seeing it too, then it must be real. 

11 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Oh, man. This sucks. At least you get to improve on a surprisingly poor showing from Boadu as the 6th wonderkid. 

Greenwood was my choice for a 6th player, tbh. I've nearly finished season one and I've been going out of my mind thinking how I can add a 6th player to my tactic. Another striker is the only thing I can add and I know Greenwood is good. It's him or Esposito. 😂 My players scores are pretty average, so far. Apart from Haaland (and my 5th wonderkid, no spoilers yet) so I need a striker with goals in him.

Anyway, good luck with your second attempt.

Yeah, I think I'm done with Boadu for now, which is a shame as he was really good last year. Still good this year, just had a lot of baggage this save.

I might go with Greenwood in season 2 or Esposito for that matter, so I might be making the exact same decision you are! 😄 Having someone who can score is pretty important, but hard to get someone to do it reliably at that age. 

Good luck with your attempt! 😄

11 hours ago, Rob said:

This!

Brilliantly written up @Scratch and that would have been a fine score. I’m in the process of giving this a second go too.

Thanks mate. It sort of sucks a bit, but it's also sort of good I've had the full experience this challenge has to offer... 

Wait, who am I kidding, it just totally sucks! 😭

10 hours ago, Ian said:

Unlucky Scratch.

I knew as soon as I saw the challenge that the CL target would cause a good few failed attempts. Just glad I’m not the only one lol. Ronaldo is annoying as he just always seems to produce it in the CL I’ve found.

Good luck for your next attempt. I’ll be going again on this one I’m sure as I went a bit too safe the first season last time which hindered our final total.

Thanks mate, Yeah, I knew it would cause grief for a few, but you know, it wasn't supposed to be me! 🤣

Nah, in hindsight it might have been a bit tough, but at the same time, it makes it a challenge no-one's gonna forget. 

Ronaldo always produces, except when I need 78 goals from him, the $@&#^$!!!

Good luck if you do try it again - tough to get the balance right. I feel like with the right squad and tactics, you could have two approaches: attacking in the league to get a good GD and lots of goals for the boys; and less so in the CL to get the win. But tricky to balace that properly...

6 hours ago, broodje kip said:

Oh man.... very unlucky Scratchy. Could’ve been a monstrous score.

Thanks mate. Next time it's going to be even bigger. Esposito already has 30 goals from 12 games!

Spoiler

Only kidding, it's not Esposito and I haven't got past the preseason yet

21 minutes ago, hhooo said:

It's gonna be Brewster, as long as we're talking about great before he'd actually played a game, and now kinda whatever.

Yep, talking about in game good, not IRL, and yep, Brewster it is...

A solid mid range striker as far as I can tell, good enough to play at the top level but a fair way behind Greenwood who's top notch. Hopefully good enough for this. Greenwood probably wouldn't be fully developed until 3 or 4 years in so probably not a huge difference for a two year save. 🤞

1 hour ago, Scratch said:

Yep, talking about in game good, not IRL, and yep, Brewster it is...

A solid mid range striker as far as I can tell, good enough to play at the top level but a fair way behind Greenwood who's top notch. Hopefully good enough for this. Greenwood probably wouldn't be fully developed until 3 or 4 years in so probably not a huge difference for a two year save. 🤞

If I ever finish one of my long term saves, I'd be tempted to use Parrott for this challenge, but yeah getting someone who is a bit more of a finished product is always a good idea for the shorter challenges.

On 20/02/2021 at 17:20, smoggy90 said:

So unlucky mate, great write up and best of luck with your next attempt!

Thanks mate! Almost halfway through the first season now and still enjoying this alot, but I definitely want to complete it this time around! 

On 20/02/2021 at 17:59, hhooo said:

If I ever finish one of my long term saves, I'd be tempted to use Parrott for this challenge, but yeah getting someone who is a bit more of a finished product is always a good idea for the shorter challenges.

Parrott would probably be a good shout for this. I should probably use him for something - the only time I've really used him was in the Kane and Son challenge and he was pretty good and I know he has a lot of fans.

But yeah, I'm going for 20 year olds here as they will level up quickly but 0 chance of the development plateauing thing. A little more consistent too. And I was hoping that Brewster woulf fit that bill, but it's December and he's just had his 2nd one month injury...  

Attempt 2

As mentioned above, I'm trying this again, with Rhian Brewster as my 5th player. Here's what he looks like just after I signed him:

borussia2-s1-01.jpg.77d940ff1060855655bdc3ff4d174ce4.jpg

A decent base with "Potential to improve a lot". Obviously I'll be wanting to improve his Movement, then also his Aerial. 

It wasn't straightforward to get him. I had a bid accepted on the first day of the save, but it had the red "-" sign in the wages section when negotiating his contract. I've heard it mentioned here before that that can happen when there are too many players at the club in his position, but this seemed to be the opposite, with Haaland the only fully green strker at the club. Once I'd signed a couple more, he was happy enough to come to the club.

The Tactics

Last time I went with my TT Blaster and I'm sticking with again, with a few slight changes:

• I'm going to go with Attacking instead of Overload. It's not a big change, but with this tactic there's a fine margin between winning 4-0 and losing 4-0. Hopefully this will mean less cases of us getting smashed. It's only the starting mentality - if we get a couple of early goals, I can always change back to Overload, if we don't get a lot of chances, I can move back to Balanced.

• Because Attacking will likely mean slightly less chances, I'm turning on Runs With The Ball. I think we'll be sitting ever slightly so deeper, but when we get it we'll run forward. I occasionally use this with Balanced and it feels like there is more space to run at (but I could be imagining it), so I'm going for a middle ground here.

• Finally, I'm going with the Closing Down All Over option. I've used it for years because I find we get more chances when this is on (I guess we're forcing turnovers?). I stopped using it with this tactic becasue we had more than enough chances aleady and I want to save the player's condition - but now I'm thinking the opposition may score less if we're harassing them, as they will have less time to take advantage of the wide open holes in our formation. 

I may switch to a less attacking tactic as we get to the knockout stages of Europe, but we'll have to wait and see for that.

The Team

I won't post the full transfer screen yet, I'll leave that until the end of the season, but here's our two starting teams:

borussia2-s1-02.jpg.91d3754c38d91ca60f6831e5361e106b.jpg

and

borussia2-s1-03.jpg.b559d653fa0aaaf790714d0bf0c11eaf.jpg

Some notes:

• Last time I rotated Livakovic and Onana and they were about equal in terms of goals conceded, so this time around I stuck with Livakovic as the first choice (and Martin as a young backaup), saving the money I would have spent on a second goalie for other players. I really don't think I can get anyone substantially better than Livakovic without spending a fortune. 

• I went for experienced CDs, in Varane and Skriniar, with the excellent Onguene as a young backup. Demiral was good last time, but a little young and his backup was just a kid. Hopefully, we'll be more stable at the back and concede less.

• My main players will rotate through the front 3 and the AMC and AMR positions, so what you see here will change every week. Our backups include: Mitrovic, Carillo, Mandzukic, the other Luis Suarez and ... Lukaku!

• Yes, I signed Lukaku! He is going to steal goals from the main lads, but hopefully we'll get more goals overall, meaning the lads will get more assists and our GD will be better. He'll also be useful in crunch games in the latter stages of the UCL. And I'll be trying to keep the lads fresher this year, leading to fewer, but more high impact, appearances. We'll see how that goes though, it's hard to stick to that.

• David James will be our backup RW and should get more game time as the season goes on, but the RW spot will be Reyna's when he's fit. 

• I bid for Lukaku, Skriniar, Varane, Goretzka and a few others on the very first day of the save and I found I got better prices than last time around when I'd left it a few days. I guess once the other teams make moves they become more important and cost more? It could go the other way, but for the best players it's likely they'll be more wanted by their team, not less, so their prices will go up.

And I think that's where I will leave this for now!

I missed the introduction of your second attempt so good luck and hopefully this will be the one.

I like your idea with the mentality and it’s something similar to how I’m approaching things with gung ho tactics recently which I’ve just mentioned in the 1kc help thread. I’ll go attacking at home and balanced away and just use overload when required. Seems like it’s a decent way of going about it and I’d say our results seem better without really losing the goal output from what I’m seeing.

I really don’t like how the progress page isn’t so clear on the injures which is a shame as if it was it would be a great way to show them. I suppose it does show them even though it’s hard to work out when they actually occurred so I may start using that page to show injuries going forward.