Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Another old friend returns - 7 tests [4-1-2-2-1] Updated

Schwantz34

So I was playing a save with Leeds and was getting frustrated a few seasons in that I still hadn't won the title. Decided to give an old reliable a shot and applied it from the start of the new season, and won it! Also made the Champions League semi finals. We had the best defensive record in the league which is always nice, because it means we're hard to beat if we can limit other sides scoring abilities. You'll see I changed the striker role from it's original AF to a P and that was purely to suit the striker options I had.

I wondered whether it was because my team had some very good players in it, and started a brand new save with Wolfsburg in Germany who didn't have world class players and needed some work. In that save and with not great backups we finished up second in the league and walked away with the German Cup and the Europa League trophy! My team had the best defensive record in the league and lost only two matches in the Bundesliga all season. Looking at it again now there are a number of draws but that's largely down to having to use my backups a lot with the amount of games played that season, so many of those could and probably would have been wins with better squad options to help with rotation. Still a good season though! You'll notice I again changed the striker role and this time to TM, and that was again to get the best from my two striker options. It looks like changing the role to suit what you have doesn't diminish the effectiveness of the system.

For the third test it wasn't a full one because it was a rescue job! Playing as Sassuolo in a first season save I was sinking real fast with a different test tactic, so I applied this one and you can see the results. Going from I think 13th/14th on a negative goal difference to finishing up 7th and a European spot was some doing from the position I was in. How I wasn't fired in the bad run I'm not sure. I haven't included goals and assists here with it being a test already well into a season. Anyway, I thought I'd share the tactic (though it can be found in last year's threads I think it was, but it may have been 2019 I'm not sure) and if you try it and it works for you let me know.

Leeds Test

Tactic

rkHAZ3x.jpg

vuN88e9.jpg

OFGR0Du.jpg

Most used 11

xwgjYd7.jpg

Final table

z38wmoe.jpg

Goals

HzpsgAq.jpg

Assists

1uJT6kI.jpg

Games

ZpR9XZh.jpg

mQ2KPlD.jpg

b28xV4o.jpg

0dm9IUb.jpg

sdEWQo9.jpg

Wolfsburg Test

Most Used 11

lCHw8UJ.jpg

Table

8S7efyy.jpg

Transfers in

QrCuUEQ.jpg

Transfers out

2Iyoc8Q.jpg

Goals

OxN9T0I.jpg

Assists

1K5XIdq.jpg

Games

I9ekazd.jpg

Lr5v03s.jpg

nh7h0IN.jpg

4TzD6BY.jpg

jjWlu4U.jpg

0RD7bBH.jpg

Sassuolo Test

Most Used 11

OqFVgoK.png

Final Table

Sda1Gea.png

Transfers In

XPaLC01.png

Transfers Out

gGWRIx4.png

Games, tactic applied from 6 Feb 21

4iThHem.png

wUrYcWj.png

24hl6Jm.png

SosZcgu.png

Edited by Schwantz34
On 17/02/2021 at 17:01, KG4 said:

This worked well for me last year so will try at some point. Excellent write up as well

I'd like it to score more goals but the changes I made last year didn't seem to help. I'll try a few things again on this version now I've tested my original again. See if I can get more out of it.

Edited by Schwantz34

Giving this a try as an alternative to your 4-3-1-2 and it’s just as effective if not better. Found I’ve had more joy with having a TM with Wesley (Watkins best as P just doesn’t seem as effective). But most of my joy has come from Bertrand Traore. It’s like this system was made for him. Switched to this and suddenly he’s racking up ratings of 8-9 every game and banging in goals. 

Just need to find a way to counter Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea. No matter what system I use I can’t beat them (Agüero thinks it’s Xmas anytime he plays me) 

58 minutes ago, N3R016 said:

Giving this a try as an alternative to your 4-3-1-2 and it’s just as effective if not better. Found I’ve had more joy with having a TM with Wesley (Watkins best as P just doesn’t seem as effective). But most of my joy has come from Bertrand Traore. It’s like this system was made for him. Switched to this and suddenly he’s racking up ratings of 8-9 every game and banging in goals. 

Just need to find a way to counter Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea. No matter what system I use I can’t beat them (Agüero thinks it’s Xmas anytime he plays me) 

I think as you buy better players your results against those teams will improve. My first test was quite far in as you can see with Leeds and I managed to beat them. I didn't beat them every time but there were great results there like the 4-1 over Liverpool.

It can be done and I've no doubts you'll manage it 👍🏼

[Update]

I'm finding this pretty solid on the latest update with a slight tweak from my original setup of using a TM or P, to using an AF instead.

You still need players to fit the roles of course but it's working well.

Edited by Schwantz34
1 hour ago, SK15Kev said:

I love these tactics as always, what is the thinking behind having time wasting on?

Mainly to prevent really late goals that FM seems to always be plagued with.

It seems to cut down on those a bit.

**TEST ON LATEST UPDATE VERSION**

My tactic is still effective on the new update and works in the lower divisions too. This Peterborough test would have yielded even better results but I cost myself some points from 30th January to 20th February (as you'll see in the screenshots), because I experimented with my midfield two and changed them to CM on the left and RP on the right. Needless to say it didn't work and that little run of results was disappointing. I reverted back to the original setup and you can see the difference.

Most used 11

n520mIT.jpg

Final table

jUU5Spw.jpg

Transfers in

17rGF1P.jpg

Transfers out

DXSJWop.jpg

Goals

4JkJiew.jpg

Assists

QwkP5hA.jpg

Results

tnTjmcj.jpg

n7GuhWZ.jpg

7WVHPs9.jpg

twX8aeu.jpg

ALVfkgg.jpg

UB4MLds.jpg

Edited by Schwantz34

Nice to see it working.

I am using a very similar one at the moment, except I have one of the full backs as a WB, next to a central defender who is a NCB. On the other side a DFB next to a BPD.  
In central midfield, on the same side as the WB is a CM and the side of the DFB is an AP.   The Defensive midfielder is occupied by the Anchor role, but I think that is because of the quality of my players and tends to be an "older gentleman"
The wide AM role ahead of the DFB is a Winger too. 
Just seems to give me different ways to attack

Keep up the good work :)

Works in Italy still as well. Switched to it on November 7th after another tactic I was trying sent me on a bad run. As you can see I would have gone up a lot more comfortably if I'd used it from the start of the season.

WlNSE5q.png

Most used 11

TpxaqYF.png

Table

BHpTrrj.png

Transfers in

JSaVe4a.png

Transfers out

LpeRkQ0.png

Goals

JCMok7k.png

Assists

ZsSF39p.png

Games

W5SiDRy.png

nKDFeUT.png

Fm1QKQ4.png

zdUnb0G.png

Wanted to give your tactic a try. I can see from your last posts that it’s working well on the current update. Are you now using a TM up front?

27 minutes ago, Smurph said:

Wanted to give your tactic a try. I can see from your last posts that it’s working well on the current update. Are you now using a TM up front?

It depends on your striker recommend role. TM or a P have both worked well.

I'm working on an updated version of this tactic and currently testing it. If it's any good I'll add it to the thread.

1 hour ago, Rjgreeno said:

How does your DLP perform in the DM position. I always get put off by using them because of how bad they perform 

They work in the tactic but the ratings they get are broken within the game engine.

The match ratings don't reflect how they perform in most tactics though.

Edited by Schwantz34

**UPDATED VERSION**

As I said in other posts I've tried to improve the tactic a few times but could never get anything to stick. Well I think I have one now (though I'm still tempted to go DM and not DLP next season) and here's the test results. You'll notice a much better league performance with the same team (on a new save though) from my most recent test with Venezia, as I figured that would give me the best comparison as to whether I was getting anywhere with the changes made. I will caveat this test though by saying I didn't land on the setup here until December 5th (3-1 win over Entella) and I stuck with it from that point. The results looking at it from December 5th would have been even better over the full season it's safe to say, had I been using the final setup from the start.

Anyway here's the test;

Wqe8es3.jpg

0RtSbw5.jpg

yGvnFqx.jpg

gmVo3yG.jpg

h22yBbQ.jpg

MCXJ9Va.jpg

Most used 11

ddeZn47.jpg

Tactic

aBTfueH.jpg

w9nmS6q.jpg

lTjvuMV.jpg

Table

LmZW0Vj.jpg

Transfers in

0oUGXnb.jpg

Transfers out

k4PB9vJ.jpg

Goals

YYYYZ3g.jpg

Assists

bYdhFaW.jpg

Games

tl92Koz.jpg

k3onfZ1.jpg

8bVbO5r.jpg

tPPU9KY.jpg

Edited by Schwantz34
8 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

How do you find the DLP's rating are? Whenever I've tried a player in that position they always seem to tank their average rating.

It was discussed in posts earlier in the thread. The ratings are broken for the DLP but it doesn't alter their effectiveness for the tactic.

If the ratings bother you then you could try a DM there. It shouldn't alter how the system plays too much.

I'm running a test with Crystal Palace (not a great squad) on the new setup and it's not too bad, but I did just get smashed 1-6 by Liverpool. I changed the DLP to DM and the right sided WB to DFB and beat Man Utd away two games after the Liverpool defeat.

[Edit]

Half way through the season;

YaFjbw0.png

LakfvDy.png

I've put on the offside trap for the second half of the season.

Edited by Schwantz34

Here's how a full season at Crystal Palace went. Remember I switched to having offsides on for the second half of the season.  Gilmour was a great loan and him and Shaparenko rotating as BBM was very effective. An FA Cup win and Champions League spot is pretty good going I'd say;

HqzC8zJ.png

6N8sayH.png

F5SzXBD.png

9AeYPbT.png

9Ji1hnh.png

Most used 11

ZTvsRwb.png

Final table

2eYOo3a.png

Goals

cDmLctt.png

Assists