Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Late Bloomer Challenge Attempt

Had to give this one a go, and a chance to look at the Chinese Super League, a place I haven't managed before.

Courtesy of @FuddledFox, this challenge will see me attempt to get Marco Arnautovic, at age 31, to score a further 101 goals - more than he's managed in his career to date. Let's see how this goes...

Screenshot_20210323-222356_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Season one update

Pretty happy with this start. A three week injury interrupted a great run of form, but a great goal tally none the less (I've always been more of a defensive manager, so goals are often hard to come by!).

As well as dominating the league, our man Arnau managed to pop up when it mattered in the FA Cup final as well.

A fine haul;

Goals so far: 41

Goals to score: 60

Marco's stats have already started creeping down (although 6 goals in the first two games of the new season don't suggest it!), but I'm hoping to do this in three seasons. 

Screenshot_20210324-220136_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210324-215903_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Very good start mate, with some luck you should have this wrapped up in the coming season. KIU! 👏

Edited by DLC

Season two update

This update comes only part way into the season, where things are looking great...or are they?

An unbelievable start for Arnau, take a look at that total after 14 games! A few cracking performances in there as well.

But oh no, is this the end - a current refusal to sign a new contract may mean if this isn't done in season two, it may never be! 

On a knife edge this one...30 goals to go...

Screenshot_20210325-125247_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210325-121653_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210325-125256_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Season two End

So, could it be done? Despite contract disputes, could Arna complete a 60 goal target in one season?

You bet he could!

A phenomenal rum continued, with Arna making the total with time to spare! 

As a parting gift, a sublime hattrick in the coveted Asian Champions League!

Not that this is a scoring challenge, but stats are;

Target 101 goals scored in 66 games (average 1.53 goals per game)

Great challenge! Enjoyed it so much, and with Arna leaving, I feel this team needs another veteran striker to take his place, and extend the challenge...

Screenshot_20210325-174838_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210325-182032_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210325-182224_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Season Three: Enter Alvaro

With the legend that was Arnautovic leaving, having completed his own Late Bloomer Challenge, we were in need of a fresh aging legend to take his place!

Enter Alvaro Morata. 

So, press reset, the Late Bloomer Challenge (courtesy of @FuddledFox) starts again. Morata has a previous haul of 143 goals, so a target of 144. An impressive start, With a 4-1 Champions League win in Tokyo being a favourite - and look who popped up with a 92nd minute goal? He's back!

Screenshot_20210325-211159_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210325-211204_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210326-222310_FM21 Mobile.jpg

I knew Marko would perform in that second season well done mate + good luck with Morata for some reason I'm really shocked he has only scored that amount he seems so prolific and has been around for a long time, anyhow good luck mate!

5 hours ago, DLC said:

I knew Marko would perform in that second season well done mate + good luck with Morata for some reason I'm really shocked he has only scored that amount he seems so prolific and has been around for a long time, anyhow good luck mate!

I was surprised too, but looking back over his career, he's a consistent 1 in 3 goalscorer, so never hit the big figures. I've always liked him as an alround player, but never seen him as an out-and-out scorer. 

Season Three - The ride of Morata

The first season with Alvaro Morata in his quest to better the 143 goals he's managed so far. At the age of 30, he's still in his prime, but can he improve a career of average goalscoring forays?

Well, with a career average of 1 goal in every 3 games, Alva clearly finds the Chinese Super League a different affair; improving to a near 2 goals every game average!

And so to the scores so far;

Target: 144

Games: 42

Goals: 79

A remarkable start - could the total be achieved in another two seasons, Arna-style?

Screenshot_20210328-224154_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210328-224209_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20210328-223423_FM21 Mobile.jpg

Season 4: Double Bloomer?

We left season three with Alva having amassed a whopping total, leaving a mere 65 goals to get to his own total of 144 goals, more than the whole of his career to date.

A quick start was met by a slow middle, not helped by Spain still insisting on picking our man for the European Championships, which occurs annoyingly during the Chinese football calendar (although a chance for Arna to role back the years in his final swansong before retirement). Top this off with Harry Wilson's frustrating ability to get himself on the scoresheet 20+ times, nicking a few tap ins off Alva - the cheek!

So, despite call ups and greedy midfielders, could our man complete his target in two seasons?

Another resounding yes!

A phenomenal end to the season, including his first ever 6 goal haul, meant it was done with games to spare.

Target: 144 goals

Achieved in: 86 games

What's more interesting is the strikers currently turning 30, four seasons in...a third challenge perhaps?

Screenshot_20210405-095916_FM21 Mobile.jpg