Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat FMM21 General Discussion - Winter Update Out Now

FuddledFox

1 hour ago, uhqa said:

How do some teams end up with academy players of a different nationality to the club? I've seen Dortmund have spanish and American newgens.

Multicultural society.

Also players get signed crazy young nowadays so there's that as well. It's probably a way for the game to reflect that.

13 hours ago, uhqa said:

How do some teams end up with academy players of a different nationality to the club? I've seen Dortmund have spanish and American newgens.

Yeah I have never had a foreign national come through on my youth intake ever. 

15 hours ago, Felix_is_king said:

I’m starting a new save in fmm20 because I feel like I need a refresher any suggestions on players?

Matias Arezo, Naci Unuvar, Gonzalo Plata, Nmadi Collins. And i must say Broodje Kip’s suggestion of Sam Surridge is working wonders for me. And i really like Pablo Torre great AMC or MC with good fk qualities. And Gonzalo Martinez is a decent Left footed IF 

Vardy asked to be retrained as a DM😅 serious competion for Wilf 😂. well better then last time when he wanted to play right back although he didn’t was that bad

023C5072-8956-41E4-B150-F747A932851B.jpeg

I am currently managing Harrogate in EFL League Two. Why am I unable to offer a contract, to sign for free, to players with less than six months left on their current contract? This seems to be an issue only when said player is from a team based in England. I have no issues offering contracts to players from foreign leagues, like Spain or Italy. This is my second season and in the first one I had the same issue, though at some point later, not sure when exactly, I was able to do it, maybe when they had less than three months left or something.

Screenshot_20210419-134543_0b2e78953ff85bd21e832a6a8ef6cde0.jpg

Yeah, for English clubs and domestic based players you have to wait until 1 month before they expire, I think this is the real life rule as well.

30 minutes ago, StuartM said:

Yeah, for English clubs and domestic based players you have to wait until 1 month before they expire, I think this is the real life rule as well.

33 minutes ago, Pista said:

I am currently managing Harrogate in EFL League Two. Why am I unable to offer a contract, to sign for free, to players with less than six months left on their current contract? This seems to be an issue only when said player is from a team based in England. I have no issues offering contracts to players from foreign leagues, like Spain or Italy. This is my second season and in the first one I had the same issue, though at some point later, not sure when exactly, I was able to do it, maybe when they had less than three months left or something.

Yep, in England you can only sign players who are right at the end of their contracts. European clubs don't have that issue.

It's something to do with the Bosman ruling and the legal ramifications of player's rights to play or something.

Is there any way I could check my club's UEFA coefficient? I know how to check the league's one, but I have no clou if there is a way to find out how many points have I gathered in a season - I want to know whether in the next season I will be seeded in UCL qualifiers.

31 minutes ago, sinuhe.t said:

Is there any way I could check my club's UEFA coefficient? I know how to check the league's one, but I have no clou if there is a way to find out how many points have I gathered in a season - I want to know whether in the next season I will be seeded in UCL qualifiers.

So the following link

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/trank2019.html

It has all the rankings, a great site

27 minutes ago, sinuhe.t said:

I mean: can I check in-game coefficients? I've played for two seasons.

I don’t think you can check an individual clubs coefficient as I have had a look round the game and can’t find it.

21 hours ago, Pista said:

When I played lower leagues in England, I had Scotland loaded as another league and was exploiting getting Bosmans that way.  I sort of like that you couldn't poach rival team players.

4 hours ago, sinuhe.t said:

What format is the 2026 World Cup? 32 teams or 48 teams?

48 teams in 16 groups of 3 in the group stage with the top 2 in each group going to the knockout rounds.

23 minutes ago, Woody said:

God i love this game!!! 😂😂

Screenshot_2021-04-25-22-29-37.thumb.png.12af704643f52d9f2773c944644b4a3f.png

It doesn’t love you back mate by the loook of it it😂

2 hours ago, Rich said:

It doesn’t love you back mate by the loook of it it😂

Yeah, its never a 2 way relationship 😯

How attached should I be to player's notes? All the players with the lowest average ratings play in the middle defence: Anchor Man with 6.72, Central Defender with 6.80, Goalkeeper with 6.82, No Nonsense Centre Back with 6.84. It's very weird given the fact that my team conceded by far the least goals in the entire league(26 per 34 games, with 2nd best defending team conceding 40), I am playing with a style that is heavily concentrated on flanks(2 inverted wing backs; 2 wingers; fast tempo; early crosses) which may have something to do with it - yet on the other hand all aforementioned players have defensive roles. 

Should I buy new, better players? I am quite sure I will not find a better defensive midfielder than the one I currently have(I mean - not for a team that plays in Polish league). In previous season I played with a different guy on that position(I still keep him as a rotation), though he was set to play as a Ball Winning Midfielder, however he also was the lowest ranked player in my team.

This leads me to an idea that this is probably not about stats, or even player roles - it may just be a trade-off to otherwise well working tactic(I won the league with 17 points lead so...). I don't want to tinker with something that apparently works, but perhaps there is a way to improve even further? 

2 minutes ago, sinuhe.t said:

How attached should I be to player's notes? All the players with the lowest average ratings play in the middle defence: Anchor Man with 6.72, Central Defender with 6.80, Goalkeeper with 6.82, No Nonsense Centre Back with 6.84. It's very weird given the fact that my team conceded by far the least goals in the entire league(26 per 34 games, with 2nd best defending team conceding 40), I am playing with a style that is heavily concentrated on flanks(2 inverted wing backs; 2 wingers; fast tempo; early crosses) which may have something to do with it - yet on the other hand all aforementioned players have defensive roles. 

Should I buy new, better players? I am quite sure I will not find a better defensive midfielder than the one I currently have(I mean - not for a team that plays in Polish league). In previous season I played with a different guy on that position(I still keep him as a rotation), though he was set to play as a Ball Winning Midfielder, however he also was the lowest ranked player in my team.

This leads me to an idea that this is probably not about stats, or even player roles - it may just be a trade-off to otherwise well working tactic(I won the league with 17 points lead so...). I don't want to tinker with something that apparently works, but perhaps there is a way to improve even further? 

I have found in my experience this year at least, that sometimes not conceding many chances in a game actually means by defence doesn’t get a high rating as there not doing much in the game, which is silly. So if I was you I’d just stick with the players you have as you’re winning. I usually play ultra attacking formations and my defence gets higher ratings when I concede more just because they have more to do, it’s not right 🙈

This is something that has been bugging me for quite a while and this player reminded me of it. How can you have technique 8 and dribbling 13? The way it works in my mind is that you shouldn't be able to dribble well unless you were a technical player in the first place. Good technique is a requisite for dribbling skills. Good technique means stuff like being able to receive and control a difficult long pass or being able to run with the ball at your feet without tripping over yourself and losing it. Also being good at dribbling is like the next level in technical ability. We see many defenders with decent technical abilities but that doesn't mean they can dribble successfully. What do you think? Am I understanding this completely wrong?

Screenshot_20210428-164403_0b2e78953ff85bd21e832a6a8ef6cde0.thumb.jpg.274451179eac3079bf075b9c2b3c0130.jpg

10 hours ago, Pista said:

This is something that has been bugging me for quite a while and this player reminded me of it. How can you have technique 8 and dribbling 13? The way it works in my mind is that you shouldn't be able to dribble well unless you were a technical player in the first place. Good technique is a requisite for dribbling skills. Good technique means stuff like being able to receive and control a difficult long pass or being able to run with the ball at your feet without tripping over yourself and losing it. Also being good at dribbling is like the next level in technical ability. We see many defenders with decent technical abilities but that doesn't mean they can dribble successfully. What do you think? Am I understanding this completely wrong?

Screenshot_20210428-164403_0b2e78953ff85bd21e832a6a8ef6cde0.thumb.jpg.274451179eac3079bf075b9c2b3c0130.jpg

What you say makes sense to me on the surface of things, but we need to remember that the game only includes things that are used in some way. So if there are two separate values in the game, they must be used for separate specific things.

Maybe Dribbling is used to decide whether a player can beat the defence or not when he dribbles. Maybe Technique is used to decide whether a player can control the ball or not in cases where it's likely he'll lose it (difficult passes, under pressure from a defender, etc). Maybe the game uses them as totally separate things (ie Technique is not used when working out if a dribble is successful or not). Maybe it combines them at some points. 

We don't really have any way of knowing - but those values must be used for something and it must make sense to the game that Dribbling can be higher than Technique in some cases. Maybe the player above is really good at running past people with the ball but can't control the ball when a difficult pass comes in or someone puts him under pressure? I don't know! I'm only guessing.

And I'm not sure I explained that as well as I wanted to... 

1 hour ago, Scratch said:

What you say makes sense to me on the surface of things, but we need to remember that the game only includes things that are used in some way. So if there are two separate values in the game, they must be used for separate specific things.

Maybe Dribbling is used to decide whether a player can beat the defence or not when he dribbles. Maybe Technique is used to decide whether a player can control the ball or not in cases where it's likely he'll lose it (difficult passes, under pressure from a defender, etc). Maybe the game uses them as totally separate things (ie Technique is not used when working out if a dribble is successful or not). Maybe it combines them at some points. 

We don't really have any way of knowing - but those values must be used for something and it must make sense to the game that Dribbling can be higher than Technique in some cases. Maybe the player above is really good at running past people with the ball but can't control the ball when a difficult pass comes in or someone puts him under pressure? I don't know! I'm only guessing.

And I'm not sure I explained that as well as I wanted to... 

From my specific observations with sweeper keepers, technique is very highly correlated with avoiding tackles. Technique certainly includes first touch, but play a few matches with run at defense and a SK, using one with good tech and one with low tech. The difference is night and day in how many cheap goals they will give away under pressure. 

If you have in your team report: our team is not as comfortable on the ball as other teams in the league/division. Does this mean you must change your mentality for example to counter, cause then they haven’t got the ball that much? Or does this means something else? And what can you do about it to change it?

6 hours ago, Scratch said:

What you're saying here makes sense to me too from a "game logic" POV. But from a "real life/football" POV it doesn't. What I'm saying is that the dribbling skill should not be higher than the technique skill. It doesn't really makes sense, so if you give a player 13 dribbling then he should also have technique at least 13. 

I'm going to post this on SI forums as well, maybe Mark Vaughan can chime in on this thing.

18 hours ago, Pista said:

What you're saying here makes sense to me too from a "game logic" POV. But from a "real life/football" POV it doesn't. What I'm saying is that the dribbling skill should not be higher than the technique skill. It doesn't really makes sense, so if you give a player 13 dribbling then he should also have technique at least 13. 

I'm going to post this on SI forums as well, maybe Mark Vaughan can chime in on this thing.

Thanks. I saw his answer over there and I get what he's saying, but really in that case Dribbling should be called Runs or something.

It made me think of Stan Lazaridis (Australian player from the 90s), who was famous for his runs, but you couldn't say his technique was good. He was fast and he'd just push it ahead and run after it. He never really had the ball under total control. Here's an eg, where he only touches the ball about 6 times over 60 metres (and that's one of his more controlled runs from memory): 

Spoiler

But I do agree with you that dribbling requires techniques and what Stan's doing there is a run, with relatively low dribbling ability (and technique). And Marc (and the game) is using the term Dribbling to cover the run part, but not the actual dribbling / ball control part. 

It's a strange old area to debate though, because while I can find plenty of punters saying Stan had no technique (eg "at no time did he look like he had a handle on the ball, nor an idea of where he wanted to go, but still ran through the opposition so easily"), his former Australia Manager Frank Farina describes him as "Very quick and good technique". So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: I guess it depends on your definition of "dribbling". I started looking at that and found some that mention "while in control" and some that just mention taking the ball downfield in a run without the control part. So... Anyway, I'm closing all the tabs and backing away from this now before I get any more messed up and confused! 😄

Edited by Scratch