Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch Tries A Maybe 1KC / Assist 1KC [Season 9]

I've been avoiding posting this career as I haven't been certain I'd continue with it. I'm still not certain I'll finish it, but I'm a season and a half in so should probably accept it's actually a career.

After mostly using crazy over-the-top attacking tactics for the last year or so, I wanted a career using a more traditional single striker tactic. Eventually I'll try the Ronny badge again and I want a finely tuned tactic ready to go.

The obvious career would have been a 2KC / Assists 1KC, like I did last year with my Crazy save, but honestly, I'm not that fussed with the goal scoring side of things. I'm saying 1KC for now, but we'll see how it goes and how far I decide to take him. On the assists side of thing, I'm not sure if 1K is still possible this year, but I'll play around with the tactics and we'll see how far we can get.

So... There you go. The only thing left now is announce the team and the players - but you're all so good at guessing them, it'd be a shame to just come out and spoil it for you!

I better give you some hints in case you do want to have a guess, so here they are:

• The league can be deduced from the nation that many of the strikers I use are from
  • The team is a traditionally successful one
  • One of my favourite strikers started at the club
  • The striker starts on loan at the club
  • The winger... you'll never guess the winger... But he is from the same nation as the striker and although he'll play on the right, his natural position at the start is on the left.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with from that. This is most undoubtedly the best part of the save. It's all downhill after this! 😄

Edited by Scratch

I can't be bothered guessing. Just tell me. 🤣

As for the career. Sounds like fun. I think I could possibly get a player to 1k assists with some of the tactics I've created. Might have a go myself at some point.

5 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

I can't be bothered guessing. Just tell me. 🤣

As for the career. Sounds like fun. I think I could possibly get a player to 1k assists with some of the tactics I've created. Might have a go myself at some point.

LOL, I will soon enough. But I'll give it some time to see if there are any takers. 

I got to the assists 1KC last year with my Defensive 4 3 2 1 tactic, but I'm not sure it's quite as effective this year (here's my chance to find out) and also, I'm quite bored with it! So I started with a variation on that (2 level IWBs instead of WBs) and I've tweaked it a bit from there. No conclusions yet after a season and a half..

So I’m guessing this will be played in Italy? And Inter maybe? I cannot think of the players though 😂

Aha, yes it will be in Italy. But not with Inter. I thought about them as I used them for my DT last year and it was much much fun, but I went with another choice. BTW I worded my clue about the club very carefully. 😄

12 minutes ago, Scratch said:

LOL, I will soon enough. But I'll give it some time to see if there are any takers. 

I got to the assists 1KC last year with my Defensive 4 3 2 1 tactic, but I'm not sure it's quite as effective this year (here's my chance to find out) and also, I'm quite bored with it! So I started with a variation on that (2 level IWBs instead of WBs) and I've tweaked it a bit from there. No conclusions yet after a season and a half..

Yeah. I remember it. That career and the discussions on the thread helped me so much on last years game when I was trying to create tactics.

I'll have one guess.

Parma, Zirkzee & Braaf?

1 minute ago, Dai_ said:

Yeah. I remember it. That career and the discussions on the thread helped me so much on last years game when I was trying to create tactics.

I'll have one guess.

Parma, Zirkzee & Braaf?

Parma and Zirkzee were going to be my next guesses as well 😝

@Dai_ @Rich - I don't think Parma has ever won the top flight in Italy. This team has won a lot, but not as much as the top 3 and not for some time. By traditionally successful, I mean historically. 😁

And actually, the striker is Italian. Unlikely you've heard of him though. You can probably work it out if you know the club and see who's on loan there. 

This time round, I went for less obvious choices, so I'm really not expecting anyone to guess.

Albisetti at Torino? I started a new game just to search 😂

If that’s not right, what database? 😝

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Albisetti at Torino? I started a new game just to search 😂

If that’s not right, what database? 😝

More titles across all incarnations of Italian top flight than Torino, though none since the 1920s... First club of one of my two favourite strikers this year (and last). 

And it's the latest db, currently on loan there in real life. 

image.png.22c863f2a434788bacf490ab4b235640.png

Edited by Scratch
5 minutes ago, Scratch said:

More titles across all incarnations of Italian top flight than Torino, though none since the 1920s... First club of one of my two favourite strikers this year (and last). 

And it's the latest db, currently on loan there in real life. 

images.thumb.jpeg.a5b845bcf061af22672d2a82990dbfcb.jpeg

Gianluca Scamacca at Genoa 😝

I was looking for a very young looking striker, I love a quiz. That’s one way of distracting me from my work 😂

Just now, Rich said:

Gianluca Scamacca at Genoa 😝

I was looking for a very young looking striker, I love a quiz. That’s one way of distracting me from my work 😂

Bingo! Yeah he's a little older. Mind you when I picked him I was fresh from Beijing and I got the season dates mixed up and thought I'd get a full year of him as a 21 year old, but he turned 22 halfway through. He'll get the 1KC easily enough though. Maybe not young enough for a 2KC though.

Now... About the winger! 😁 Only joking, you'll never get that one.

6 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Bingo! Yeah he's a little older. Mind you when I picked him I was fresh from Beijing and I got the season dates mixed up and thought I'd get a full year of him as a 21 year old, but he turned 22 halfway through. He'll get the 1KC easily enough though. Maybe not young enough for a 2KC though.

Now... About the winger! 😁 Only joking, you'll never get that one.

Yeah I’m sure you’ll get the 1kc easy mate!

Is the winger Italian? 😂

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yeah I’m sure you’ll get the 1kc easy mate!

Is the winger Italian? 😂

Yeah he is, but you won't know him (for real). His name is Gianmarco Cangiano, has a lot of potential in the game but never heard of him in real life.

Main reason I signed him though is this joke: "Can Giano? Yes he can!" 🤣

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

Scratch 500.

Love that you are throwing yourself back in to it! 

Scratch 1K mate. But don't feel bad. Nothing wrong with 500. 😝

Thanks. I'm not as committed to this one as the last one. I'm going to pause it every so often and see if I can't finish this app (but I need a separate test career for that). That said, I'm actually enjoying it a lot, so maybe I'll keep doing it.

Best of luck mate. Looking forward to following .

Never heard of Giano either so it will be fun to see him and how he develops.

6 minutes ago, Woody said:

Best of luck mate. Looking forward to following .

Never heard of Giano either so it will be fun to see him and how he develops.

Thanks mate. They were both new to me as well. I was originally going to go with players I'd used before, but decided to be more adventurous.

Just now, Scratch said:

Thanks mate. They were both new to me as well. I was originally going to go with players I'd used before, but decided to be more adventurous.

Love it. I like to find new players or use players nobody would normally use.

Love the freebies at the beginning of a save.

The Competition - Serie A in Italy

It's a league I've always had a soft spot for, with some grand teams and some classy players. In FMM, it's a great place to play because it's weaker than you think and there's a good chance of scoring a lot of goals. I did a DT there with Inter last season and had a lot of fun with that.

The Club -  Genoa Cricket and Football Club

genoa.png.6d6c52e946a8d2fb77c20d749d45c9c6.png Why Genoa? For many reasons:

• I first flagged them as a team I'd like to use purely due to the shade of blue used for their headers in FMM20. +1
  • Then I found out the first C in CFC stands for Cricket. I mean how great is that? A little unusual for a club in Italy. +1
  • Then I found out they'd won the fourth most top flight titles in Italy (9), behind only Juve, Inter and AC Milan, although none since the 1920s. +1
  • Then I found out one of my favourite strikers in game, Pellegri, had started out there. +1

Finally, I wanted not to do the obvious thing and go with Inter again. I wanted to take a 'smaller' club and take them to glory. Who better to use than an ancient powerhouse whose glory had long since faded?

The 1KC Striker - Gianluca Scamacca

First, here are the players I considered, but ultimately rejected:

• Esposito: Would have been superb, but I don't want to get banned from Vibe.
  • Pellegri: Taking him back to his first club! But using him would also likely get me banned.
  • Salcedo: I've used him in a lot of saves, always as a backup, never the main main. His time to shine? But still too obvious and too many other people using him. 

I decided I wanted someone different, someone that wasn't on people's radar. I found him already at Genoa, albeit on loan - Gianluca Scamacca:

genoa-s01-02.jpg.084b32ecbd893f39aa844ade8b732bf0.jpg

A little slow, but hopefully we can improve that. Great Aerial, Strength and Shooting already and a fair bit of development left. He's a little old and likely will not be in the same class as Esposito or Salcedo, but he should have enough for a 1KC. And he's very rarely injured.

And did you see that pretty boy picture I shared above (in an Italy shirt so as to not spoil the club)? Well since he's joined Genoa, he's hit the gym. This is the lad now:

scamacca.jpg.05902d80ddbd0e8a742ff2eb53f3a8dc.jpg

He is going to rip Serie A to pieces. All he needs is a winger to place the ball on his head.

The Assists 1KC Winger - Gianmarco Cangiano

I knew I wanted an Italian winger. My first thought was Tibo Persyn, who'd been a squad member for me before, but he had dropped out of the game in the Winter update and I didn't want to use the November DB. My next thought was Vignato, fantastic player, close to my heart, but I couldn't really use the same player for an Assist 1KC as I did last time...

After some searching I came across Gianmarco Cangiano:

genoa-s01-01.jpg.1d2e00ff835e5666363b9a6e2bc25de0.jpg

He scouted having a lot of potential and also as being very rarely injured. He has a decent base and with some development and a little retraining, he should turn into a top class right winger. This is the lad by the way:

image.png.32c212b2e58f5dbf23128cf7eb3ec0be.png

The only thing against him is that it turns out his 9 in Teamwork is representative of liking to take it a little easy (he has a message about it on his Personal page.

And there you have it! I'll be back with season 1 in the next day or so. 

Thanks for reading! 

Lovely choices and very different from the norm Scratch. Really looking forward to seeing how things pan out 😁

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Lovely choices and very different from the norm Scratch. Really looking forward to seeing how things pan out 😁

Thanks mate, that's what I was going for!

18 hours ago, Rob said:

Lovely choices. Best of luck. 

Thanks mate. Might need it! Just written up the first season and comparing to my 2KC / assists 1KC career, I'm a bit behind already. Italy is fairly easy, but it's no Scotland apparently...

added 0 minutes later
4 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

Good luck, I'm sure your tactics will need a little tweak, but you'll still smash the 1k target.

Thanks mate. I am all over the place with the tactic. Fairly consistent in season 1, but trying a lot of different stuff in season 2 and can't settle on anything...

Season 1

First season. Time to shake up the club, play the youngsters and hope not to get sacked...

Transfers

Spoiler

genoa-s01-20.jpg.2c2c3dbb4b118c199b8434ef75fc4027.jpg

genoa-s01-21.jpg.7daa56bb1ba7121ef296871f4a302e00.jpg

genoa-s01-22.jpg.b2cb38c64986e95ba080678f2f4a6852.jpg

genoa-s01-23.jpg.fbff84ceffa1f96791a9831e4efc2013.jpg

genoa-s01-24.jpg.fff88096d0ace47b5570584a70d4f0e2.jpg

Genoa had a lot of pretty average players and most weren't spring chickens either, so the situation called for a clean out. The departing players weren't worth a lot and the budget was minimal (around £20M from memory), so the players coming in were all young hopefuls.

I tried really hard not to use players I've used a lot before, walking past a whole heap of players I wanted to sign. I did end up with a few familiar faces:

• Thorsby because the squad dynamics were horrid and he is a good influence on the squad for professionalism and work ethic.

• Livakovic because I couldn't afford/attract another keeper that good.

• Onguene because he was on loan at Genoa already and had a £4.6M buyout clause and it would be stupid to ignore that.

• Henrique because I've used him before, but never in a long term career and I want to see how good he actually is when given time to develop.

• Villa to mentor Cangiano (see below).

Mentoring

For the first time in living memory, I did NOT buy Carrillo to mentor my striker in Aerial. I figured that because Scamacca was already 16 Aerial, he wouldn't really need the boost. Perhaps I was wrong though, as his Aerial didn't improve over the course of the year. I may end up regretting this.

I signed Villa expressly to be Cangiano's mentor and to improve his Crossing. While it did improve, I'm not sure it was from mentoring, as there was not message reporting an improvement. And it was only a month or two before Cangiano started complaining that his progress under Villa wasn't fast enough and I had to break the relationship. I almost went with Pavon, so perhaps that's a lesson for next time.

Tactics

We used a variation of my Defensive 4 3 2 1, with the WBs pushed up and inverted:

genoa-s01-17.jpg.b538049023dde5e8b1afaaf9275f045d.jpg

Seemed to go okay, but it's really hard to tell at this point when so many players are nowhere near fully developed. I've gone with AF for Scamacca, as that's what the original tactic had, but I may yet try other roles. I'll probably tweak it all at some point.

Results

No European football this year, so there was only the league and the Italian Cup:

genoa-s01-18.jpg.31a8fba64f932b31a29bf3044550dc9c.jpg

We did alright in the cup, beating Milan and Napoli, before Atlanta put us out in the semi final. In the league, we started slowly, but improved as our youngsters levelled up. We made it all the way up to third, giving us UCL football next season, but we only averaged 1.5 goals per game (a far cry from my last career).

Here are the screenshots:

Spoiler

genoa-s01-10.jpg.c84d859fdb5c72d9434b20cbbef946d3.jpg

genoa-s01-19.jpg.441ed81f582495fde76f36fe6dccbe12.jpg

The Lads

Nice improvement from both of them, with more to come:

genoa-s01-28.jpg.c79a5f018bcb8615c589c61e9db4d5ea.jpg

genoa-s01-30.jpg.b587b9a8b1ae9f9fa0a2e1c36805b9a5.jpg

Injuries

A couple of injuries despite both lads having the very rarely injured message:

• Scamacca: A few days.

• Cangiano: A 1 month week injury.

Spoiler

genoa-s01-11.jpg.53da861d881d44e20095b8ff2a91435a.jpg

genoa-s01-15.jpg.c7ffdcf6b409081b2926430fd7af02a4.jpg

Progress

Here's how they did:

• Scamacca scored 34 goals from 38 games

• Cangiano provided 17 assists from 34 games

Spoiler

genoa-s01-29.jpg.53179cf76658157781c51eacbe02a67b.jpg

genoa-s01-31.jpg.874fa44e1e30eedf310c02db7fb00db4.jpg

Which gives us:

Season Scamacca Cangiano
01 34 17
Total 34 17

Final Thoughts

Not a bad start, but we'll want to improve those numbers pretty quickly.

Comparing it to my Crazy 2KC / Assists 1KC career last year, we're behind already (Unuvar had 44 goals and Vignato had 29 assists). I guess that goes to show that even though Italy is pretty easy, it's not as easy as Scotland.

Edit: Actually, I just realised that the players had 10 extra games each, as Celtic was in the UCL in season one, while Genoa wasn't (and Scotland has 2 cups instead of 1).

Thanks for reading!

That's really close to the tactic I've been using recently.

I've been using a poacher rather than AF as I wanted to keep my striker more central, but I've also been using a B2B and CM with a AP in the AMC position.

The AP has been nabbing a bunch of goals, but my strikers have been scoring a hatful too, Shaw in my UK goal challenge is a prime example.

I've also tweaked it to have a TM and a P up front, with a single CM and AP (in AMC), and the TM is getting an almost equal amount of goals and a bunch of assists too. Hvilsom and Aelterman in my TTR save have been using this tweaked version.

I've also been inspired by the article about man marking and had my CM and IWBs on man marking, it seems to stop a lot of crosses, but that's where most of my goals against me come from, the IWBs being passed around and the opposition wingers either coming in and shooting or crossing for a striker.

I keep tweaking the tactic. Currently using this:

genoa-s02-19.jpg.69408a91b0cf1d1a7fbd2bc577fd1ff3.jpg

Actually went back to my original 4 3 2 1 tactic for a while, but just not enough goals there yet (might work better once all my players are world class). 

I only went with AF because that's what I used last year for this. I haven't used AF this year (well some small experiments that didn't do so well and were abandoned). Seems to be working well in this though. But I will likely experiment with TM and T which both have worked really well for me this year. Although I've seen a lot of people, like yourself, saying Ps work well, so maybe worth trying. 

My AM almost never scores. 7 goals over the whole of season 2 (will write up tomorrow, too late tonight). So that part seems to be working well. I find APs score a lot more than AMs. I used to always use APs because I thought they'd create more and maybe they do, but they also score a lot more for me too. So having moved the AP player forward seems to be working for me - the central AP was scoring more than the advanced AM. Maybe it's just the players I have in that role at the moment though.

Hmm, I'd forgotten about man marking to be honest. Might be time to try it. Maybe it will keep the left IWB busy with defensive duties, and maybe the right WB will be more free as a result and will take the ball forward more often, keeping the ball on the right side, so Cangiano gets it for a cross. Hmm... Worth a try!

Season 2

Moving right along... This season, we need the lads to continue to grow and for their numbers to increase significantly. This is especially true for Cangiano, because 1K assists is a LOT and I'm not that confident he'll actually achieve it.

Transfers

Spoiler

genoa-s02-22.jpg.3a00ec047b0479af71397332a51a9ac0.jpg

genoa-s02-23.jpg.606a6f7f70eb772a3c1b4a6a1b53fd41.jpg

genoa-s02-24.jpg.c578380e4d3a368b216393aad6ccb2c3.jpg

genoa-s02-25.jpg.a5fc6ff450da9fea7f74ae86ea7d960c.jpg

genoa-s02-26.jpg.384cbdfa971ff424b9647d1b7da18f5f.jpg

The big departure was Villa, who'd been Cangiano's backup. He was a disappointment this time around, failing as a mentor, not achieving much off the bench, so it made sense to accept a very generous offer for him. Not that we need the money, we won't be able to spend what we already have.

We continued to strengthen the squad by buying promising young players. The highlight was Verschaeren. We also strengthened our keeper position, first signing Farinez, then Nubel halfway through the year (mainly to stop another Serie A club buying him). Pipi was supposed to come in on a Bosman, but was injured so the board cancelled the deal.

Tactics

We experimented a lot this year, going back to the original Defensive 4 3 2 1, trying out Control and Balanced, before eventually landing on this (using Defensive, switching to Balanced if it's not working):

genoa-s02-19.jpg.145c79634e2cdef3fb717df5eb2568ee.jpg

So far it's working well, but I'm probably not done experimenting.

Results

genoa-s02-21.jpg.64b602fd1e0d102429b296705b990210.jpg

A good year domestically, winning the league comfortably, improving our GPG rate, and winning the Italian Cup. We cruised our UCL group, but got knocked out by Sevilla in the first knockout round. Full screenshots:

Spoiler

genoa-s02-18.jpg.3ac4eb20fd0131a5945e3b31b8c617cf.jpg

genoa-s02-20.jpg.e2ba82e8d089b02231d3e5b4d1902c4a.jpg

genoa-s02-11.jpg.73148fd8835429c16e5ddcb08780dfbb.jpg

genoa-s02-16.jpg.66a260890189b0ddcd42c3447b25207f.jpg

The Lads

Scamacca only improved a little, after losing a step from his injury (see below). I couldn't improve his Aerial, but his Strength  jumped (without me asking). His 'lots of potential to improve' message is gone, but he still gets good improvements after each game.

genoa-s02-29.jpg.c63def2e8148944dae8fb4b35bda1000.jpg

Cangiano improved a lot, with +3 Pace and +2 for Crossing and Dribbling. He still has the 'lots of potential to improve' message too, so watch this space.

genoa-s02-31.jpg.0af5266a9c8544004c22517afee3f2bb.jpg

Cangiano also improved his attitude a little:

genoa-s02-15.jpg.16e2868d128c2f03e2d34ecf65f3ceb4.jpg

Injuries

The only injury this year was a 3 week injury for Scamacca, causing him to miss the start of the season.

Spoiler

genoa-s02-03.jpg.e1ce8905b79aca86326def47b9830342.jpg

Progress

Here's how they did:

• Scamacca scored 77 goals from 47 games, really stepping it up

• Cangiano provided 42 assists from 47 games

Spoiler

genoa-s02-30.jpg.0b2320aa946aa385ed0bfff6df4d13e3.jpg

genoa-s02-32.jpg.9c0830b8a328f54899c59490171bb767.jpg

Which gives us:

Season Scamacca Cangiano
01 34 17
02 77 42
Total 111 59

A big step up from both lads.

Comparison To FMM20 Career

At the same point last year, remembering they were in an easier league (Scotland) and that Unuvar was a lot younger than Scamacca:

• Unuvar had 109 goals

• Vignato had 105 assists

Final Thoughts

A very good season from both lads. Cangiano is significantly behind where Vignato was, but I'm not worried yet. In fact, I can't wait to get the next season started and to see where I can take these lads.

Thanks for reading!

Its good that you're excited to get on with this. Its always interesting using "unknown" players. Peaks the excitement even more, I think.

Great work winning the domestic double. That Champions Cup will come quickly too.

The players look good now. Surprising that Villa was such a let down as a mentor and not impacting that much as a sub. I've always found him excellent at both.

Keep it going mate. 

Edited by Dai_