Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Attacking 3-1-4-2 - Darlington Promotion

Hey everyone!

I've genuinely lost count of the amount of different tactics I've tried from this community, as well as searching the internet for ones which look to work. Honestly - from refreshing this site constantly, to YouTube... even the FM Korea site! 

Anyway, fed up of getting stupidly impatient when ones don't work, I decided to make my own. I've not really done that before and figured the only way to notice when things don't work is if I've created it myself.

A huge thanks to this community in general, the openness to sharing and taking on comments is where I started, taking inspiration from parts that have worked for others. Without that, this wouldn't have been possible, so a big, big thanks.

I was already in my 2nd season as Newcastle in an existing save when I found something which worked. When it clicked, the results were fantastic and I ended up winning the league and the F.A Cup that season. In my 3rd season, I won the League & Champions League.

Satisfied that the tweaking had finished and I'd settled on something I was happy with, I wanted to give it a bit more a robust test, as I'd managed to gather a strong squad as Newcastle and it was hard to judge how much the players were carrying me rather than the tactic itself.

As a childhood fan of Darlington, there was no better or more difficult test. They are very much a mid-table team in that division, have next to no money but a good sized squad to work with.

For those who may be interested, I did a very similar thing last year, which was my most enjoyable FM Mobile career so far.

I do doubt that I'll ever find a tactic as successful as that one last year, but this is showing signs of promise enough for me to put something on here and be open to the community.

I'd welcome you to try it - but before you race in (like I would!), please take a few extra minutes to have a read though the next bits as they will certainly help:

General tips:

- At the start of the game, I always clear any staff members out who are less than the maximum I can get to the club.

- At the start of the game, I always arrange as many friendlies as possible, every 2/3 days to get the team used to the tactic and to build relationships quicker.

- Always ensure that every player is being trained for the role you intend to play them. 

- Throughout the season, I continually ask the board to improve the training facilities and youth facilities - to maximise the potential of every player throughout the season.

Forgive me if they're all basic, but I figured they may be easily missed and I believe they all make a contribution to the overall game.

Tactic:

Here's the tactic:

tactic-overview.thumb.PNG.8293aa96611b6ff731be41992d55727b.PNG

Players Required:

SK: Nothing out of the ordinary here. I have used the template searches for this role.
CD: Nothing out of the ordinary here. I have used the template searches for this role.
BPD: Nothing out of the ordinary here. I have used the template searches for this role.
WM: Whilst they are Wide Midfields, my testing has shown that more traditional wingers (less positioning and tackling, more dribbling and crossing) work much better here. See below, the WMs get a lot of assists - so I would try to avoid Wing Back type players if you can.
BBM: Nothing out of the ordinary here. I have used the template searches for this role.
AP: Nothing out of the ordinary here. I have used the template searches for this role.
PFs: Pacy players have worked better here for me/ Pace, movement, shooting. Arial is an added bonus for corners.

INSTRUCTIONS

tactic-shape.thumb.PNG.87397fb1f9a6cb05675d84c433a6434d.PNG

tactic-defence.thumb.PNG.fafbba892d4cf92de5944ebe618d6d40.PNG

tactic-attack.thumb.PNG.c1f8074fe61742db83981fefc8abfd1d.PNG

Results

I've just finished my 1st season;

league-table.thumb.PNG.03a72bb9f075753cae42235f444ef262.PNG

I managed to win the league with 12 games to go and suffered my 2 of my 3 losses after I'd won the league... very annoying!

FA Trophy

I managed to get to Wembley for the final of the FA trophy, beating several National League teams on the way.

We played Notts County, took them to extra time, penalties... I beat them!!

fa-trophy.thumb.PNG.9850886e1e83f8e3c3ccd27b192c4c00.PNG

Manager Overview

manager-overview.thumb.PNG.d9217983066a2022d58e4fa4ff4d646a.PNG

As you can see, a net spend of £41,520! :)

I spent the 59k on a Keeper (Sargeant, from Leyton Orient) - the rest of my signings were all freebies. Mostly veteran Spanish players who have had their moments throughout the season!

Player Stats:

stats-goals.thumb.PNG.e4d988d9a3d73b61e77f6ad941df2dbc.PNG

You'll see here that 3 of the strikers I rotated through the season are all in the top 5 of the division top scorers.

stats-assists.thumb.PNG.c7eba0cf224eb21402f202c165ca9cd9.PNG

You'll see here that these are mainly my WMs.

Hopefully that all makes sense? I've tried to include all of the things I would normally look for myself when looking for an enticing tactic that I'm looking to try.

Looking forward to the National League now. Will update soon!

4 hours ago, Mike Dodgson said:

Promotion to League 2! 

Turned down 7 job offers so far, board have expanded the stadium and all facilities.

4B156FAB-7714-447B-A6A8-0D5966B70C3C.jpeg

Awesome stats! Did you find some good transfers? 

Is your setup the same home and away ?

Yes, same home & away. I never really change anything once a game is being played. Very rarely I may put time wasting on in away games for the last few minutes.

Transfer wise it’s just been a case of trawling the free transfer market, lower league bargains and loans. I’ve got all lower leagues turned on for England, Germany, Spain and Italy so there’s always plenty of choice! 

This tactic is a blast so far, my roster is not even perfectly fitting the instructions. I play the lower tier of French leagues with it and I am first at midseason with a rather weak side.

IMG_0083.thumb.PNG.0a21e6adf225dd04c0bd2d61cc51a146.PNG

Promoted to League 1 in style.

League 1 is going well so far - top with about 15 games left to go. 

Randomly managed to grab Reece Oxford & Oxlade-Chamberlain on frees who are doing really well.

Anyone else having any joy?

5 hours ago, Mike Dodgson said:

Randomly managed to grab Reece Oxford & Oxlade-Chamberlain on frees who are doing really well.

Patchy with Forest Green but it might be down to the players.

On 28/05/2021 at 16:54, Mike Dodgson said:

Strong effort :)!

did you had the time and test it in other leagues :)?

Not yet, no.

I’d stumbled into the formation playing as Newcastle and have been really enjoying the Darlington save when my spare time allows!

Started using this in a new game with Ayr. 

The club is pretty desolate in all areas and looked to be struggling at the bottom of the league. Managed to get some frees in and loans. Using this tactic I finished second place and got promoted in the play offs 😃

Just about to start my second season now and expecting a relegation battle! Hopefully the tactic can continue to help!

On 28/05/2021 at 15:54, Mike Dodgson said:

It’s not working with my save. I just started using Darlington and it’s not working at all

1 hour ago, TheBirdMan said:

It’s not working with my save. I just started using Darlington and it’s not working at all

Remember what I said to you in my thread when you said similar, and look at the changes made to his squad. He's brought in players to suit the style he wants to use. It really does help to do that.

Very rare you can just apply a tactic on this version and have it work from the off without changing a few things with your squad.

With trying to find players that can play the WM position, Do you just find wingers and train them to play WM because there isn't a whole bunch is there? i dont know what its like 7/8 years later in the game with new players coming through, Just why its always put me off using WM's

Posted (edited)

Did you win the premier league I’m highly invested in your progress and I wanted to ask what you used for your set pieces 

Edited by COakley