Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't get any success with a formation/tactic that uses Wingers (W) or Wide Midfield (WM). I've tried a few that other people have posted and they never work. 

Has any one got a good winger tactic? I'm so bored of Inside forwards (IF)

Edited by malcolmlau88@gmail.com

WM is one of the best wingers role in the game. I barely even use IFs nowadays. You can post your tactic here and we can see if anyone can help you.

If they play in the middle line, I use WMs. If they play in the AM line, I use IWs. IFs are too limited in their decisions often, unless you have someone with good passing/dribbling/shooting/crossing all at once like Chiesa, Kulusevski, Sané, etc. I will use them as sort of 'inverted IFs' with left on left and right on the right. 

I dunno, I use Ws all the time and seems to work well for me. Obviously they have to have high Crossing and be passing to a striker with high Arial (normally a TM for me, sometimes an AF). I use them with a 1 2 1 2 3 (CD IWB IWB CM LW RW TM T TM) and a 3 1 3 2 1 (CD CD RWB LIWB CM AP CM LW RW TM).

Of course after a few seasons I have an overpowered squad so they will win whatever tactic they are using, maybe it doesn't work as well with an average squad. 

I'm no expert in this shit but i guess the op winger role is inverted winger. Everytime i use the role on my wingers (Sancho and Rashford) they got 8 rated and gotta say,that guy named 'Zealand' is true, inverted winger is op than inside forward. Also just a side note,if you have a midfielder who role is box to box or roaming playmaker is next to a iw or if,they will become mezzala.

I’ve never used a iw. Mostly because I am less interested in making tactics rather I use plug and plays and I don’t see many tactics with them and I still don’t understand them (what they actually do in game and what attributes needed). and what I enjoy the most is develop players and sell them and watch them grow part of the game.

I'm just getting around to having a play with IWs in the AM line, I have tended to use IFs but one of my tactics hasn't been doing what I want... just curious on what everyone's take is on footedness and which side you play the IW on? I used to play the IF so they could cut in and shoot on their preferred foot Henry style!

I have another tactic that I like with WMs on the M line, as others have said they can work really well.

45 minutes ago, StuartM said:

I'm just getting around to having a play with IWs in the AM line, I have tended to use IFs but one of my tactics hasn't been doing what I want... just curious on what everyone's take is on footedness and which side you play the IW on? I used to play the IF so they could cut in and shoot on their preferred foot Henry style!

I have another tactic that I like with WMs on the M line, as others have said they can work really well.

I play IWs alternating on foot-orientation. If a match isn't going the way I want it to, I will swap my IWs to the opposite side and that frequently shakes things loose. In general, I find Traditional footing IWs better vs a back 3, and inverted footing better vs a back 4 though. 

On 11/06/2021 at 03:03, hhooo said:

If they play in the AM line, I use IWs

Do you buy IF then just play then as IW or do you look for IWs in the transfer market?

36 minutes ago, Rjgreeno said:

Do you buy IF then just play then as IW or do you look for IWs in the transfer market?

I prefer to look for wingers with good passing instead. It really depends on your playstyle though.

So i created a possession based tactic not long ago when doing my Buffon challenge and IW are vital to it as they pass the ball more than a  winger or inside forward and tend to keep the ball. I will release this tactic at some point.

So yeah it all depends what you want your wingers to do, if I want my single striker to score I tend to go for WM as they provide more usually for me in a single man.

But then in a two striker I used wingers, they seem to add more. Then the most confusing bit, I use IF if I have 3 strikers as they tend to pass more than shoot if you have 3 up top and it means you’re not leaning on your strikers having to have amazing aerial.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

I use IF if I have 3 strikers as they tend to pass more than shoot if you have 3 up top and it means you’re not leaning on your strikers having to have amazing aerial.

What kind of formation is that? 3 strikers and inside forwards? 

Just now, Watchhands said:

What kind of formation is that? 3 strikers and inside forwards? 

Not sure how it will do on latest updates etc. But I’ve had massive success with this for a few years. Especially lower league😁

On 17/06/2021 at 11:05, broodje kip said:

I prefer to look for wingers with good passing instead. It really depends on your playstyle though.

Thanks for the insight, recently I’ve been looking for IF with good crossing to see if it makes any difference 

On 11/06/2021 at 17:35, Scratch said:

I use Ws all the time

Agree with Scratch. As long as you have a strong aerial ST (I.e. stronger than most opposition DCs!) and good crossing/ speedy wingers (I.e. quicker than most opposition full backs!) ... then they’re a solid option for me. 

Tactically I’ve tended to use wingers in:

• 41221 - Defensively solid, providing fast direct passes to the 2 wingers, who are encouraged to Run with the ball, then there tends to be lots of crosses & corners for your aerial ST.
  • 4231 - Great with a strong team, as you have wide options with the Wingers, plus a central creative option with an AM / AP. Can play a direct or passing game, quick or slow. Depends on the players.

PS. I’ve enjoyed Wingers with Sunderland, Celtic, Fulham, and currently in China.

Failed miserably with Wingers in Brazil (my ST was good in the air, but the opposition DC were better!) and as a test with Sheffield United (the teams’s players are not suited to a winger / crossing game haha).

On 11/06/2021 at 05:32, malcolmlau88@gmail.com said:

I can't get any success with a formation/tactic that uses Wingers (W) or Wide Midfield (WM)

Question - can you share which team you are, what season you’re in, and what formation(s) you've been playing? That will give us some ideas of what’s wrong & tactical options to fix it.

Oh - as a extra option - I’ve enjoyed playing a 4141 with Defensive Wingers - in a similar setup to the 41221 I posted above. The 4141 is defensively very solid - and suitable with a relatively poor team with a few wingers with blistering pace & a good aerial ST.

A good example may be Crystal Palace. Benteke, Wickham and getting Carroll from Newcastle on loan (only 20k/wk!) as options up front, plus you have Zaha on one wing, whose pretty speedy (14-16 pace?) and decent crossing (11-14?) and great dribbling (14-16?). Could work nicely on the counterattack down the wings?

An example ... here’s my TERRIBLE team of youth players in China:

B4A6A710-AF16-41C7-AAE6-65E0066774CD.thumb.jpeg.870c29c69c5ab6f82ee02092d6a7d661.jpeg

Including the Chinese ‘Peter Crouch’ - great aerial, but pretty rubbish elsewhere:

1B369914-854A-4985-B46C-BCBE28072B08.thumb.jpeg.36162fcb82c33a3c2958781844e07426.jpeg

So am playing a 4231 with 2 Wingers, to provide as many crosses & corners as possible to this giant ST.

I’m currently playing / testing between playing the ST as a Poacher (to keep him central & to stop our central players punting long balls to him) and as a Target Man (to ensure crosses & corners are aimed at him). E.g. If it’s not working at half time, I switch the role.

56689516-8F2B-4733-A36E-06E462501799.thumb.png.6a32905a27845b6c2143c4942e288417.png130D12E7-8DFD-4F24-B66A-BBC7C6213EC4.thumb.png.c1a98b24af9ca5b81d62fcf6546835bb.png

And so onto a friendly match when we are slight underdogs ...

F44EE25E-6E79-4E1E-BB57-07063A1DC73B.thumb.jpeg.7c818f40632d6e660504309274eb8c2e.jpeg

... here in blue our FB has the ball and you can see our 4231 vs the oppositions 442 formation. 

A2BA9AF9-4234-4743-B0FC-0AD72E6BB168.thumb.jpeg.dfda806887ce2ceda6e54d750509ae98.jpeg

The full back passes to the CM, who can passes it simply onto the winger.

4999DEF3-68F3-4439-9761-61E33F5FE3AA.thumb.jpeg.e81eb18138f45dd134dd5bb55c27361b.jpeg

Interestingly, as the winger crosses the ball, you can see the opposition 2xMC marking our 2xMC, plus their DC has moved across to cover our AMC ... which means our ST is only marked by 1xDC.

1DD7C534-DEC2-4388-98CA-0347CD49F598.thumb.jpeg.4c111f78052699aefee27e1d67f2e43d.jpeg

Our aerially powerful ST wins the header + powers it into the corner of the net. GOAL!

8504E767-3B97-4C34-87CF-078C24B9A6D3.thumb.jpeg.cd6d8fd1b776bc468b2487589877d919.jpeg

Two goals like this and he wins MoM with a 10 rating (despite doing nothing else!).

0C074EDC-CDD7-4FF9-A3C1-AC34F4794005.thumb.jpeg.493f59ad8309307c41d8d841ad9c36d4.jpeg

Before this match our Chinese Peter Crouch has 14 goals in 16 games (now 16 goals in 17 games) which isn’t bad, considering how terrible he (and the team) is.

F31F6BB2-4F65-4E99-A06F-92D3636ECFDB.thumb.jpeg.ef503db2770153ffb771d6998e9c9706.jpeg

As my wingers are pretty terrible (10-11 for crossing & pace), often the cross is blocked - so I’m hoping that either the cross is completed, or it’s blocked for a corner. Either outcome is good.

Hope this helps give you some ideas & would still like to see your team & tactics so we can be a bit more precise with our advice & feedback!