Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Tips on In-Game Tactics?

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while and I've been having trouble with FM2021. While I have a good tactic, does anyone have any tips to adjusting my tactics in-game? For example, if the opposing team is playing a narrow formation, do i change my passing focus to the flanks? stuff like that!

I never do that. I’m telling you, it’s not worth it. If you have a good tactic then just keep with it. Get players with high determination and work rate. They will fight for a comeback if you are losing.

I wouldn’t adjust to counter the shape of the AI but I definitely would exploit weaknesses in personnel. The AI are not intelligent at all in their player management and if you look often enough during the game there’s often players playing out of position, or players clearly weaker than the rest of the team. If there was a natural CM playing at left back for the opposition or the LB was the clear weak point in the team (happens a lot) I’d be focusing all my play down the right hand side. You will create more chances during that time.

@broodje kip is probably right in saying ignore their shape but it is worth exploiting the clear weak points in personnel.

You can also move your striker left or right to play against a CB who is weak in the air for example. I find changing width useful vs teams that play 3 vs 4 at the back, since playing against those formations is very different. 

28 minutes ago, hhooo said:

You can also move your striker left or right to play against a CB who is weak in the air for example. I find changing width useful vs teams that play 3 vs 4 at the back, since playing against those formations is very different. 

How would you dictate which width to use?

added 0 minutes later
4 hours ago, samhardy said:

I wouldn’t adjust to counter the shape of the AI but I definitely would exploit weaknesses in personnel. The AI are not intelligent at all in their player management and if you look often enough during the game there’s often players playing out of position, or players clearly weaker than the rest of the team. If there was a natural CM playing at left back for the opposition or the LB was the clear weak point in the team (happens a lot) I’d be focusing all my play down the right hand side. You will create more chances during that time.

@broodje kip is probably right in saying ignore their shape but it is worth exploiting the clear weak points in personnel.

Right. I’ll give this a try! Thanks! 

22 minutes ago, FCRazor said:

How would you dictate which width to use?

added 0 minutes later

Right. I’ll give this a try! Thanks! 

Narrow is typically bad vs 3 atb, while wide is not as effective vs 4atb. Look for overlap is also much more effective vs 3atb than it is a back four. Same thing with passing focus. Center is not great vs a back three. 

If the other team is going on the attack with their mentality (Attacking or Overload), I will quite often move from short passing to mixed, and deselect run at defence.  By doing this I am trying to let my team go a little more direct in getting the ball out of defence and not getting trapped and countered upon.

I'll also quite often if leading and feeling threatened reduce the creative freedom, so that the team stay in formation a bit more.