Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Low Block Tactics

Some failures trying this recently in the English Premier League, with the smaller teams. The most recent was with Fulham, with a bizarre 5-3-2 ... with 2 Wingbacks, a midfielder in the Anchor / DMC position and bizarrely the 2 Strikers were in the Inside Forward positions. Theoretically this should have been a 5-5-0 when defending, with plenty of cover on the flanks. But after a few losses, and with it being fairly boring, I gave up.

However have had some good successes elsewhere & in past FMs...

In India on a past FM (not FMM) had the worst team in the Division, so my super defensive 4-1-4-1 with one creative AF had to both create & score our few goals, and one old / mentally experienced DMC captain organised a 9 man, low-block defence.. Painful to watch, relatively effective. After 3-5 seasons we became more progressive when the youth stars came through.

Also in a past FM, had Swansea playing the most defensive possession based style. 4-1-2-2-1. Low block, no pressing, slow tempo, lots of sideways / backwards passing, Literally only scored goals from two attacking patterns. Defensively had slow, aerial beasts across the back 4 & Anchor Man (so rarely conceded from corners). Kept the ball so much that it limited most opponents to 30-40% possession, which reduces their chances created & shot count by a third vs normal - that was key to seasons after seasons of 1-0 wins. If we took the lead, I took off the striker & substituted on a AMC, so an opposition MC had to mark him, meaning one of my MC was even more free to make (boring, time wasting) passing options. Did variants of this for 9 seasons, was surprisingly fun. Took over Wales at some point as well & did the same with their national setup. Hard to watch. Limited creativity. Surprisingly fun.

Also have played a defensive 4-1-2-2-1 with Man Utd in this FMM21 for the 1st season, with no transfers in, just to protect a series of 1-0 wins. Was fun, but a waste of their talent. 

Just some fun examples. Would like to read others stories also!

13 hours ago, broodje kip said:

I’ve tried them and worked quite well though it’s not as good as gegenpress imo

Does gegenpress means all over press? Because everytime i put that my team do some heavy gegenpress

26 minutes ago, Watchhands said:

Does gegenpress means all over press? Because everytime i put that my team do some heavy gegenpress

Yes that’s what I mean