Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help What do you look for in a player?

Y4Y0

After playing already for a while I’m still changing often strategy of how to select my team, with mixed results. See below two CB’s in my second year Cambuur squad after being promoted as champion to the Eredivisie in the first season. Molenaar has some great attributes as a defender but besides that is pretty weak. Mac-Intosh on the other hand is just average overall. To learn from your thought process; if to pick between the two, who would you use and why? 

DB2B6C74-CA86-44BE-9E2C-B4A9999E841B.png

5DBEC8A2-E502-4A90-985E-433B4D49E13D.png

Honestly, they both look pretty poor 😄

Attributes wise, i'd say Molenaar has a slight advantage given that his key defender stats are higher (Aerial, Tackling, Decision, Positioning). His downside is his low Teamwork and Technique compared to Mac-Intosch, but they both have really low Movement.

Molenaar is quite young though, so providing he's got a potential of a minimum of 3 stars, he could probably turn out to be a decent defender after a couple of seasons.

Really, the only way to know for sure is to rotate the 2 and see which has the better average rating and which seems to work well with your other centre back(s). Sometimes having a good relationship (ie, the green connecting lines on the tactics screen) are just as important as having good attributes

Decisions and technique are my two key ones to seek out first, and then the positional traits depending on what position I'm looking to add.

15 hours ago, Y4Y0 said:

So you focus on the stars the scouts or coachez give instead of on actual attributes? 

A combination of both really. The star rating it a rough estimate of the players ability compared to players in the same league and other players in your team. A player may have good attributes but if a scout or coach gives them a low star rating then they're almost certainly got low hidden attributes (such as professionalism and work rate).

If i was in your position, i'd do a player search for anyone aged 20-30, with at least 12 in aerial, tackling, teamwork, decisions and positioning. Add filters such as 'interested only' and in your budget. If that brings back 100s of players then you could add additional minimum attributes like technique, movement or strength or increase the minimum to 13/14. Then send your scouts to get reports on those players. 

I generally ignore anyone with a current/potential rating of under 3 stars as they're not usually an improvement on what i've already got. If you find someone with 4/5 star potential then you probably want to try and get them

I would buy someone better if I would have a million. But thanks for the valuable tips, indeed hidden attributes are important which I guess scout and coach stars also reflect better.

To me, Molenaar is far better than mac-intosch. Mac-Intosch would be on the transfer list I suspect. But Molenaar does lack a bit of aggression and teamwork which is going to make him a bit shy on the pitch.