Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Need some advice

My current team(Granada) is struggling against top-clubs without any attemps. So, how should I play against bigger clubs (barca, real, atletico) if they are favorites?

Edited by VodkaBalalaikaBear

Can you share some screenshots of your current formation / tactics setup?

Also are you still looking to win the game, or would you be happy with a 0-0 draw?

Typically in real life underdog teams do the same as in FMM and will:

• park the bus (like Mourinho),
  • play more defensively (most teams)
  • play on the counter (like 
  • or keep sterile possession (Swansea-lona)

Plus an underdog ‘short passing’ team will often change to a more mixed / direct style.

Lastly, they’ll often play a more defensive formation. Not a 433 (3 STs), nor a 4241, nor a 424. Instead switch to a 4141 (or my favourite 41410 - with an AM instead of a ST), or if you’re going really defensive then a variation of 541, 451, or a 460 (e.g. 4-1-5-0-0).

Lastly, if you have a superior team, you can score in many ways, but if you have an underdog team you can focus on fewer ways.

• e.g. get the ball to a fast winger on the left, who runs with the bell, gets lots of corners, for your tall CBs to attack. Everyone else defends!
  • e.g. someone posted a defensive long ball 442 previously, where the aim is to soak up pressure, hit long balls to a TM, hoping their Poacher gets a few one-in-one opportunities each game.

Just some ideas - depends what you want.

3 hours ago, DanEnglish said:

Can you share some screenshots of your current formation / tactics setup?

Also are you still looking to win the game, or would you be happy with a 0-0 draw?

Typically in real life underdog teams do the same as in FMM and will:

• park the bus (like Mourinho),
  • play more defensively (most teams)
  • play on the counter (like 
  • or keep sterile possession (Swansea-lona)

Plus an underdog ‘short passing’ team will often change to a more mixed / direct style.

Lastly, they’ll often play a more defensive formation. Not a 433 (3 STs), nor a 4241, nor a 424. Instead switch to a 4141 (or my favourite 41410 - with an AM instead of a ST), or if you’re going really defensive then a variation of 541, 451, or a 460 (e.g. 4-1-5-0-0).

Lastly, if you have a superior team, you can score in many ways, but if you have an underdog team you can focus on fewer ways.

• e.g. get the ball to a fast winger on the left, who runs with the bell, gets lots of corners, for your tall CBs to attack. Everyone else defends!
  • e.g. someone posted a defensive long ball 442 previously, where the aim is to soak up pressure, hit long balls to a TM, hoping their Poacher gets a few one-in-one opportunities each game.

Just some ideas - depends what you want.

Should I play with low def line? And what about attacking options?

I think I should play 4-4-2 with a TM and P with long balls. I'llbe happy if I get 1 point against Atletico. But if they will score a goal? On what ways should I focus to recoup?

On 18/09/2021 at 12:57, VodkaBalalaikaBear said:

Should I play with low def line? And what about attacking options?

I think I should play 4-4-2 with a TM and P with long balls. I'llbe happy if I get 1 point against Atletico. But if they will score a goal? On what ways should I focus to recoup?

If you have the personnel and do prefer possession football i suggest playing with a back 5 with wingbacks

Set the passing to direct and play from your flanks, this in turn mean you don't have to rely on less-than-stellar midfielders to do the ball progression through the middle whilst playing to your two man striker partnership upfront by focusing on sending crosses through to the box

Make sure to have a BBM type midfielder tho if you're doing 5-3-2 variant since he'll be responsible for supporting the attack in place of a natural CAM