Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Plug & Play - The Future

I have seen many topics this year on players struggling to find tactics and that the game has lost its plug and play aspect...I suppose from previous games people have moaned that the game was too easy but I find this year it has gone too far the other way.

Tactics this year seem sooooo over sensitive and although made it more challenging i fear alot of die hard fans will simply leave because they miss the simplicity. 

Mobile games are designed for plug n play. There needs to balance. We have football manager touch for the more hardcore tactical wizz kids. 

What are peoples thoughts??

Edited by Rhys Rockley

That’s a great topic. It would be really interesting if you set this up as a poll, so we could see more people’s input … ? 🙂 

I’ve actually gone the other way:

• After YEARS of playing on extended highlights + tweaking everything (which is very slow)
  • … in the last month I’ve taken a solid 4231 tactic + just started playing on fast commentary mode (have finished a season in less than a week for the first time in a decade)
  • … as long as I made certain tweaks (predefined in advance), then my team continues to play well (e.g. switch to a 3142 if playing vs a back 5, switch to overload if need a late goal, switch to a 41410 if defending a narrow lead)
  • So my current save is more “plug, play, and tweak mid-match”

Is pretty fun, and with a good team this game is still pretty easy. With a rubbish team (& without completely revamping the squad), this game is still pretty hard. Just my opinion.

40 minutes ago, DanEnglish said:

That’s a great topic. It would be really interesting if you set this up as a poll, so we could see more people’s input … ? 🙂 

I’ve actually gone the other way:

• After YEARS of playing on extended highlights + tweaking everything (which is very slow)
  • … in the last month I’ve taken a solid 4231 tactic + just started playing on fast commentary mode (have finished a season in less than a week for the first time in a decade)
  • … as long as I made certain tweaks (predefined in advance), then my team continues to play well (e.g. switch to a 3142 if playing vs a back 5, switch to overload if need a late goal, switch to a 41410 if defending a narrow lead)
  • So my current save is more “plug, play, and tweak mid-match”

Is pretty fun, and with a good team this game is still pretty easy. With a rubbish team (& without completely revamping the squad), this game is still pretty hard. Just my opinion.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the Rubbish team comment...I often play the lower leagues and it is so tough to get good league form..I find a tactic tht works and then following season it is not effective. 

It the tactics forum you often see players giving tactics for the top league very rarely for the lower leagues...are people moving towards the big leagues because the lower leagues are far too difficult?? 

The game is really hard this year and plug and doesn't seem to work. Even with big teams. I like the game that way though as other versions were easy and it was still the same fans that were complaining it was easy. Found out that even if the game starts easy, along the line they tend to figure you out and make you rage 

I enjoy it, but I'm like Dan in that I have always played the game very slowly and i think two seasons a week is my peak speed. 

It can be frustrating, but the satisfaction only increases as a result!

My only gripe is how badly we need the Wide center back option from full fat FM to replicate tactics like Gasperini's Atalanta or Conte's Spurs. You just can't do it with the options currently in game. 

5 minutes ago, hhooo said:

I enjoy it, but I'm like Dan in that I have always played the game very slowly and i think two seasons a week is my peak speed. 

It can be frustrating, but the satisfaction only increases as a result!

My only gripe is how badly we need the Wide center back option from full fat FM to replicate tactics like Gasperini's Atalanta or Conte's Spurs. You just can't do it with the options currently in game. 

Yeh I average 2-3 a season...But i always try to play when i have a quick 5- 10 mins..I just kinda feel each year they are adding more and more to tactics (granted can be seen by many as a positive) some people prefer the plug and play aspect like 2014 to 2020 had to offer..

Eventually tactics will be similar to the touch versions and i feel personally that is a step in the wrong direction. 

1 minute ago, Rhys Rockley said:

Yeh I average 2-3 a season...But i always try to play when i have a quick 5- 10 mins..I just kinda feel each year they are adding more and more to tactics (granted can be seen by many as a positive) some people prefer the plug and play aspect like 2014 to 2020 had to offer..

Eventually tactics will be similar to the touch versions and i feel personally that is a step in the wrong direction. 

I think set piece instructions were the wrong move. They add nothing to the game except tedium to set up the same corner routine for every team. Things like player instructions or more roles would actually be interesting and different from team to team. Those are always welcome. 

1 hour ago, hhooo said:

I think set piece instructions were the wrong move. They add nothing to the game except tedium to set up the same corner routine for every team. Things like player instructions or more roles would actually be interesting and different from team to team. Those are always welcome. 

Hit the top of the nail with player instructions. Allow one to utilize their players more. I can't have my 20 rated shooting inside forward shoot three times in match with shoot on sight on. I need to tell him to shoot MORE!!!!!! Also we need new player roles like the Mezzala, false 9, Regista and complete wingback. Also roles like me telling my inside forward to attack or support. lastly a better match engine. I feel all these will make the game very large for mobile manger game so they just tend to avoid it

1 hour ago, Uncleseekx said:

Hit the top of the nail with player instructions. Allow one to utilize their players more. I can't have my 20 rated shooting inside forward shoot three times in match with shoot on sight on. I need to tell him to shoot MORE!!!!!! Also we need new player roles like the Mezzala, false 9, Regista and complete wingback. Also roles like me telling my inside forward to attack or support. lastly a better match engine. I feel all these will make the game very large for mobile manger game so they just tend to avoid it

I tend to agree. I believe that if there are more player roles/instructions then, there would be both plug and play tactics and more micromanage type tactics. I prefer plug and play because my favorite thing to do is to develop players and find players that are under performing and revive their careers (I.E. Eden hazard)

2 hours ago, Uncleseekx said:

The more features they add like you said would make the game very large and take away the mobile/handheld speed gaming away. 

41 minutes ago, Felix_is_king said:

I tend to agree. I believe that if there are more player roles/instructions then, there would be both plug and play tactics and more micromanage type tactics. I prefer plug and play because my favorite thing to do is to develop players and find players that are under performing and revive their careers (I.E. Eden hazard)

I agree with this..One of my favourite parts of the mobile game is able to build a team from nothing quite simply climb the leagues. The more and more they bring into the game i feel i might aswell play the touch version and the 'Mobile' aspect is slowly dissappearing 

I prefer this year's edition even if more challenging. Previous years it has been piss easy to climb the leagues pretty much no matter what tactic you use. Now it's a little bit more realistic but still manageable. SI also pretty much done away with FM Touch and stopped it apart from Nintendo Switch I believe. Yes this game can never be as detailed as the full FM and this is understandable but a game is pretty crap if it's too easy and not a bit challenging at times

I never understand how people see plug and play no longer works. I’ve used a few tactics and it works well without tweaking for the whole season.

1 minute ago, broodje kip said:

I never understand how people see plug and play no longer works. I’ve used a few tactics and it works well without tweaking for the whole season.

I only play with garbage teams, so that might be part of it

The problem with this game is, every year when a new game is released a certain percentage of people complain that the game is too easy and they need more ways of adjusting the tactics etc. 

At any point they could have started playing either FM touch or the full fat PC version, but no it was easier to continually complain about the mobile version.

I really enjoy the mobile version and the simplicity it offers and am more than happy to pay for a new version every year without massive changes.  To be fair is has probably been a bit easier to play in the past but I am still doing ok success wise in this version. ( I normally play in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Russia and have built teams that can win the champions league using Scottish and Russian Sides. It’s easier with Russian teams. I have never had much success in the EPL ever even in older versions of this game)

3 hours ago, macmole said:

The problem with this game is, every year when a new game is released a certain percentage of people complain that the game is too easy and they need more ways of adjusting the tactics etc. 

At any point they could have started playing either FM touch or the full fat PC version, but no it was easier to continually complain about the mobile version.

I really enjoy the mobile version and the simplicity it offers and am more than happy to pay for a new version every year without massive changes.  To be fair is has probably been a bit easier to play in the past but I am still doing ok success wise in this version. ( I normally play in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Russia and have built teams that can win the champions league using Scottish and Russian Sides. It’s easier with Russian teams. I have never had much success in the EPL ever even in older versions of this game)

This is the balancing issue of FMM. You have two different audiences. One, like you, likes the simplicity and doesn't want it much more complicated. 

The other group, which I am a part of, can't realistically play full fat FM due to kids/work/travel/other circumstances, and want FMM to be as close as it can be to full fat while still being on a phone. 

22 hours ago, Rhys Rockley said:

Tactics is the one and only thing that needs major upgrades tbh.

It gets to a point towards each years cycle and eveyone is using a similar tactic. Thats boring.

I hate 4231 formations. I prefer to find more stranger tactics but thats my preference.

If that's what they are doing to make the game harder, it isn't working. Problem has never been tactics, it's that the AI transfers don't build sensible teams.

I've actually had my 442 tactic patched out over a couple of editions. I've never felt it was match engine tweaks that did that, but rather regens with triple 20 physicals and 18-19s everywhere just don't happen anymore.

Another thing I think added to the difficulty but was maybe a bit under the radar is squad dynamics. Once your players start building relationships I’ve noticed a big improvement in performance. At this point I tend to think of relationships (as you see them on the tactics screen) as a kind of tactical familiarity which is something we’ve only had in the past couple editions. Whereas before you could drop any player with the right attributes into your team now you might not get that peak performance that your regular starter gives you because of their link up/interaction with their regular teammates 

Edited by lcutini32

I tend to play top teams/leagues as I am on a constant aim to break the game rather than, say, have a proper career. But that’s the effect of Vibe on me. Pre-Vibe I always used to play as Leyton Orient from some reason. So I’d say at top teams you can generally plug and play still so I agree with what all are saying about it being far easier.

One thing I would add is there are so many tricks you can do to improve your club, facilities, better players, and all of that contributes towards a plug and play tactic working as everything simply improves.

Great topic of discussion, btw. I love these sorts of threads. 

After doing 10 seasons with Kettering and getting to the championship I found it hard and bleeding annoying to get the best out of my team...to the point of not even scoring..I just had enough at that point so I resigned and deleted the game..

Few days later I reinstalled the game and had the save still there..I took the Peterborough job and pretty much got in loanees and finished the season with a good run of form..bought in some good signings over the summer and cracked on with the season..it's going pretty bad again tbh..starting to annoy me once more ..I'm not sure the number of new signings has made things poor..or trying different tactics has-been more damaging than helpful..I'll keep going with the season and see what happens..sacked or quit again 

I think because SI wants to attract people who play touch version to get this year’s mobile version, as there is no touch version this year.

Mobile version has always been considered too easy and simple by the touch and pc players. So SI “reworked” the AI to be “more adaptive” this year to up the difficulty. Thats my opinion.

but the AI transfers still dumb AF, I still find a club that buys 3 first team GK in the same window and also in all my saves this year never saw haaland or kane move clubs

i dont get this years game its so hard to win even with a good team. On any managing game like fm22 mobile and sm22 the tactics still dont work

To the "it's too easy" people

Not everyone has played every single CM/FM ever made. FMM's primary targeted market has always been those picking up their very first football management game, like, ever.

If someone who has never played any football management game before finds FMM2022 too easy in the first game he/she started, there may be a case of it being easy. 

9 hours ago, julystork said:

To the "it's too easy" people

Not everyone has played every single CM/FM ever made. FMM's primary targeted market has always been those picking up their very first football management game, like, ever.

If someone who has never played any football management game before finds FMM2022 too easy in the first game he/she started, there may be a case of it being easy. 

Very true

The primary market isn't, and can't be people who have never played a management sim. The primary market is the people who have already bought the game the previous year. Expanding to new customers will involve some newcomers, of course. But people who have to step back from full fat FM as life gets in the way are an enormous part of mobile gaming markets.