Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Inverted wingers 🤷‍♂️

Simple question here.

Inverted wingers, what's the point?

Has anyone ever had any success with them??

Edited by deepheat83

I'm having a bit of a trial with them with my main tactic (probably my only original ish one) where we seem to keep possession a lot better than when I play with inside forwards... I was actually trying to send chances towards the centre forward in a 1k style but I'm not sure it is really doing that for me!

6 hours ago, StuartM said:

I'm having a bit of a trial with them with my main tactic (probably my only original ish one) where we seem to keep possession a lot better than when I play with inside forwards... I was actually trying to send chances towards the centre forward in a 1k style but I'm not sure it is really doing that for me!

Tried that also with the best inverted wingers money could buy, they hardly get assists. The game is a lot complicated this year

15 hours ago, deepheat83 said:

Simple question here.

Inverted wingers, what's the point?

Has anyone ever had any success with them??

I have. Got 1,246 goals and 1,291 assists for a player with a tactic using them for other roles.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I have. Got 1,246 goals and 1,291 assists for a player with a tactic using them for other roles.

Has to be in a crazy overload tactic and not a regular tactic. Have tried it in a 4-3-3 format and 4-2-3-1 format, doesn't work 

Inverted wingers must be used together with wing backs, in my opinion as it gets best out of them. They are perfect option for high scoring tact. I tried to use them at 1k tact but abandoned that quickly, as they were stealing main striker goals. Best guys to use at that role are guys who got cut inside trait. 

1 hour ago, Uncleseekx said:

Has to be in a crazy overload tactic and not a regular tactic. Have tried it in a 4-3-3 format and 4-2-3-1 format, doesn't work 

Yeah. One of those ‘so unrealistic it shouldn’t work’ tactics. 

2 hours ago, fRESH said:

Inverted wingers must be used together with wing backs, in my opinion as it gets best out of them. They are perfect option for high scoring tact. I tried to use them at 1k tact but abandoned that quickly, as they were stealing main striker goals. Best guys to use at that role are guys who got cut inside trait. 

Been there done that, didn't work

2 hours ago, Uncleseekx said:

Been there done that, didn't work

It does, but u have to get it right. Most important are players for roles. Just go back to the drawing board and try more. Those nice tacts doesnt born overnight.

Yes it's so hârd to get the IW to score,  Thus making thé role useless.  

On 31/07/2022 at 12:13, Rob said:

How so ?  I've tried and tinkered and that rôle is useless. I use narrow width but to no avail

Haha - great topic.

Here is a VERY different perspective - I have happily used an IW as a ‘decoy’ wide man - I.e. someone to stay wide, to keep the opposition FB wide, to create space in the channels / half-spaces for my AF, IF and B2B to run into.

So I don’t care if my IW doesn’t pass, doesn’t shoot - because they have a decoy role.

If you’re interested - here’s some screenshots from my article ‘creating space in the final third” …

Spoiler

454D8128-5504-4906-A9CC-0682EA22FA2D.jpeg.078fe1de5de01ae6489f930eb8cf2456.jpeg

C2B3A9B4-0DAF-4DB7-A202-82D226E5AEE6.thumb.jpeg.a89259ec48d4086f730e348e95d41ca1.jpeg

🙂 

68C5B7BD-026E-469A-967C-1A171CA24035.jpeg

1 hour ago, DanEnglish said:

Haha - great topic.

Here is a VERY different perspective - I have happily used an IW as a ‘decoy’ wide man - I.e. someone to stay wide, to keep the opposition FB wide, to create space in the channels / half-spaces for my AF, IF and B2B to run into.

So I don’t care if my IW doesn’t pass, doesn’t shoot - because they have a decoy role.

If you’re interested - here’s some screenshots from my article ‘creating space in the final third” …

Reveal hidden contents

454D8128-5504-4906-A9CC-0682EA22FA2D.jpeg.078fe1de5de01ae6489f930eb8cf2456.jpeg

C2B3A9B4-0DAF-4DB7-A202-82D226E5AEE6.thumb.jpeg.a89259ec48d4086f730e348e95d41ca1.jpeg

🙂 

68C5B7BD-026E-469A-967C-1A171CA24035.jpeg

I actualy find that, PF played at wing foward does the same trick, but better. They create hell of space as they drag opponent defence out of position.

6 minutes ago, fRESH said:

I actualy find that, PF played at wing foward does the same trick, but better. They create hell of space as they drag opponent defence out of position.

Agreed, PF played left and right are very overpowered.

I've never got anything out of inverted wingers, EVER!!!

Yes, as you say they can be a decoy, but if you are playing one on either wing then that's you basically playing with 9 men.

In my opinion they offer nothing going forward whatsoever.

So whats the theory behind it then?

They drag the full back out of position letting the wing back push up and drag the centre back out creating opening for the forward?

Seems very unlikely to be efficient compared to just whipping in crosses, but again, just my opinion

Edited by deepheat83
48 minutes ago, deepheat83 said:

So whats the theory behind it then?

They drag the full back out of position letting the wing back push up and drag the centre back out creating opening for the forward?

Seems very unlikely to be efficient compared to just whipping in crosses, but again, just my opinion

I don't know about IWs, but that's what I'm doing with a PF in my 3KC. We can get 3 shots on 0 goals in the first 25 mins, then I'll move a midfielder into a right central PF role next to Sesko and by the end of the game we've got 20+ shots and 5 goals to Sesko. The PF might get 1 or 2 shots vs Sesko's 15 or so. They literally do nothing except run around and take one of the CDs off Sesko. Works wonders.

6 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I don't know about IWs, but that's what I'm doing with a PF in my 3KC. We can get 3 shots on 0 goals in the first 25 mins, then I'll move a midfielder into a right central PF role next to Sesko and by the end of the game we've got 20+ shots and 5 goals to Sesko. The PF might get 1 or 2 shots vs Sesko's 15 or so. They literally do nothing except run around and take one of the CDs off Sesko. Works wonders.

I hear ya, I played a couple of seasons with a PF either side of Ferri and it worked wonders.

Moved them out wide now and its still working a treat, only difference is they barely score instead of stealing a goal or 2 a game

Just now, deepheat83 said:

I hear ya, I played a couple of seasons with a PF either side of Ferri and it worked wonders.

Moved them out wide now and its still working a treat, only difference is they barely score instead of stealing a goal or 2 a game

Never tried them out wide. Not sure how it would work with Ws? Might be worth a try!

But yeah the idea of decoy players seems to work and although I never use them, I guess I see IWs as at least partly decoy players. If I want assists, I go with a W (to cross to my TF). If I want goals, I go with an IF. Can't see the point in an IW if you want goals or assists. Maybe just as a team player to do a bunch of the grafting and create space for others, but that'd be the only time I'd reach for one.

41 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Never tried them out wide. Not sure how it would work with Ws? Might be worth a try!

But yeah the idea of decoy players seems to work and although I never use them, I guess I see IWs as at least partly decoy players. If I want assists, I go with a W (to cross to my TF). If I want goals, I go with an IF. Can't see the point in an IW if you want goals or assists. Maybe just as a team player to do a bunch of the grafting and create space for others, but that'd be the only time I'd reach for one.

plenty of crosses even as PF. That's with central passing too

Screenshot_20220802-122455_FM22 Mobile.jpg

57 minutes ago, Scratch said:

If I want assists, I go with a W (to cross to my TF). If I want goals, I go with an IF.

Agree. Assists to an aerially strong TM = Winger … Goals = IF … and for me, Decoy = IW.

2 hours ago, deepheat83 said:

but if you are playing one on either wing then that's you basically playing with 9 men.

Aaaarrrggh!  TWO inverted wingers would be horrible for me. I only play with one IW + usually one IF on the other flank.  also I used two IWBs for better build up play from the back (not WBs).

3 hours ago, Glorygetter said:

Yes i've read this article.  So how do you modify thé tactics to get them scoring and assisting goals

No idea. But other peoples’ wide PF idea sounds really interesting!

2 hours ago, deepheat83 said:

Tried pairing a pressing forward in McTominay with an advanced forward, with his poor movement and shooting, he was stealing goals off my striker, don't know how. Made me kill the project 

1 minute ago, Uncleseekx said:

Tried pairing a pressing forward in McTominay with an advanced forward, with his poor movement and shooting, he was stealing goals off my striker, don't know how. Made me kill the project 

You got McTominay scoring? I think you deserve a trophy for that 🏆 I had him as a B2B attacking that half space opened up by the decoy IW - and McTominay didn’t score once.

4 hours ago, DanEnglish said:

You got McTominay scoring? I think you deserve a trophy for that 🏆 I had him as a B2B attacking that half space opened up by the decoy IW - and McTominay didn’t score once.

To be fair, I was retraining him to be a striker so he was playing upfront and he was scoring 😄