Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Pre season

Been playing my current save for over 10 seasons now and I've been successful everywhere I've gone but one thing really bugs me. My teams always get off to a slow start. I'm wondering if it's what I do in pre season that affects this. 

I usually play about 5 friendlies, 3 with what I reckon is my first choice and 2 with a mix of 1st team and reserves. I keep training on normal and train the players for the roles they'll fit in my tactics. I try not to sign a new squad every summer, probably averaging around 4 or 5 signings, sometimes one or two, others 7 or 8, you know how it is 

Anyone do anything different? Bit tired of winning about 1 of the opening 6 games or so before picking up.

Awesome question. Here’s two ideas to try … how about scheduling 9-10 friendlies in pre-season? And ensure one of your last friendlies is against your first league match’s opponents.

• Ever since CM0102, I’ve been doing this on most serious saves, 5 friendlies for my first team, another 4-5 for my second team / squad players.  

• Theoretically should he good for team cohesion, and certainly is good for tactical tweaking - especially if I’ve changed tactics or lots of players.  

• If my first league match is away to Everton, then a week before I’ll schedule an away friendly with them. Is a bit cheaty, but gives me a chance to fully test my tactic / players before the league starts.

Just two ideas 🙂 

On 16/08/2022 at 11:59, DanEnglish said:

Awesome question. Here’s two ideas to try … how about scheduling 9-10 friendlies in pre-season? And ensure one of your last friendlies is against your first league match’s opponents.

• Ever since CM0102, I’ve been doing this on most serious saves, 5 friendlies for my first team, another 4-5 for my second team / squad players.  

• Theoretically should he good for team cohesion, and certainly is good for tactical tweaking - especially if I’ve changed tactics or lots of players.  

• If my first league match is away to Everton, then a week before I’ll schedule an away friendly with them. Is a bit cheaty, but gives me a chance to fully test my tactic / players before the league starts.

Just two ideas 🙂 

Great advice mate, I bashed out about 9 PSFs and we are absolutely flying. It's a bit of a slog but I was able to tweak two setups we'll use in the new season as well as get minutes in for everyone. Changed nothing else.

On 16/08/2022 at 01:59, DanEnglish said:

5 friendlies for my first team, another 4-5 for my second team / squad players.

Do you use subs during the friendlies or just let the first team play 5 matches of 90 minutes and the squad players play 4-5? Or something more like 45 minutes of first team 45 minutes of suns over the course of the 9-10 games?

10 hours ago, lcutini32 said:

Do you use subs during the friendlies or just let the first team play 5 matches of 90 minutes and the qqqwsquad players qqSaplay 4-5? Or something more like 45 minutes of first team 45 minutes AA of suns over the course of the 9-10 games?

Oh actually that’s a great follow-up question!

Short answer is that (for the 1st friendly) I make all nine subs at half time, then (for the later friendlies) only a few subs for fitness reasons. But that’s just me 🙂 

Longer answer in spoiler:

Spoiler

Just looked at a few of my saves:

• First friendly = vs easy opposition = play 1st team for first half (45 mins), then 2nd team for the second half (final 45 mins) - using all nine subs

• Most Friendlies = 4 full friendlies for 1st team (e.g. on Saturdays), with 2-3 subs for low fitness or maybe tactical tweaks - and another 4 friendlies for the 2nd team / squad players (e.g. on Monday’s), using as many subs as I want, depending on how many squad players I want to get match fit. 

• The final 1st team friendly is usually against my first league opponents - as mentioned before.