Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poll FMM23: How Would YOU Get Man Utd’s Current Squad Winning?!

FMM23 - How Would YOU Get Man Utd’s Current Squad Winning?!  

30 members have voted

1. 1. In the upcoming FMM23, with their CURRENT season’s squad (no signings) - what tactical approach would YOU use to get Man Utd winning again?!

• INTENSE PRESSING - Ten Hag Style
    • INTENSE TIKA TAKA - Guardiola Style / high press, short passing, highly creative across the pitch
    • INCISIVE POSSESSION - perhaps Wenger’s Invincibles Style (?) / mid press, control possession, short passing, rely on through balls in the final third
    • STERILE POSSESSION - Van Gaal’s United / Swansea-lona Style / low-mid press, recycle possession, slow passing, few risks
    • DIRECT WING PLAY - Ferguson’s mid-1990 Style / crosses from wingers, overlapping fullbacks
    • FLUID COUNTER ATTACK - Solskjaer Style / mid press, direct passing, more creative freedom in attack
    • CAUTIOUS COUNTER ATTACK - Mourinho Style / low press, direct & long balls, more defensive + disciplined
    • OTHER - any other tactical approach
    • Don’t know / Don’t understand

242048AD-F20E-41D2-9C97-BAEDB662E59D.jpeg.cbcab6e12bd85f877d31969b3a90f756.jpeg

FMM23 - How Would YOU Get Man Utd’s Current Squad Winning?! 

The next FMM version is out later this year - and managing Man. United could be more challenging than normal.

F75F8C9B-99D3-4A8D-B7A0-0A942ECBB4DB.jpeg.42d95b17669516b5323c075da0cfa91d.jpeg

Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskjaer, Rangnick and now Ten Hag - each had their own playing style / approach / philosophy, BUT none has lasted long at the club.

69A29E63-F280-4E8E-8161-7937D1BAE9BE.jpeg.ca5d268c445193b238b7bd54f9f01d15.jpeg

So assuming you have only their current squad (no transfers) - what tactical approach would YOU use to get Man Utd winning again?!  

• Is Ten Hag style INTENSE PRESSING suitable for a squad with low work rate + slow center backs … ?

• Should the team dominate POSSESSION, or attack with pace on the COUNTER ATTACK

You may think the poll’s tactic styles + manager approaches may be over-generalizations / not that accurate - but still can be useful to guide discussion.

With the current squad - how would YOU get MUFC winning again?! 🙂 

98A1AF3F-7D6C-4AA2-A16C-F0C4C1083B99.jpeg.0f86f54369331b476ccc935c06ff7461.jpeg

Edited by DanEnglish

Sounds like this would be a good challenge to be honest - start a game with Man Utd, not allowed to make any signings, leaderboard in order of most points in league or something.

5 hours ago, Scratch said:

Sounds like this would be a good challenge to be honest - start a game with Man Utd, not allowed to make any signings, leaderboard in order of most points in league or something.

That would be great short challenge. Maybe leaderboard for points + goal diffrence would make it more intresting. 

1 hour ago, fRESH said:

That would be great short challenge. Maybe leaderboard for points + goal diffrence would make it more intresting. 

Might be a nice little challenge for fmm23

@Scratch @fRESH @Oseni - 100% agree - that’s a great idea, yes it could be a fun shorter challenge, especially for an early save when first buying the game.

0A241C1B-5ED3-47FA-87FE-CFDEEB7DCFA9.thumb.jpeg.79cfc85668d06cf502015c17554fb97e.jpeg

WING PLAY
For our Vibe friends who would use ‘wing play’ (think Wingers and WBs crossing often to a TM/Poacher):

• who would be your main ST? Ronaldo is their best aerial ST (16-17 aerial/strength), but that’s not better than the average EPL opposition DC. Or would you retrain McTominay there?! 
  • Who would your Wingers be? Sancho is likely your right-sided winger, but who would you use on the left side - Telles?! 

E910D0D8-EEA4-48EE-8A67-E1A45EDF5612.thumb.jpeg.3cc2ac711ef9a013820f7e0ab7049841.jpeg

INTENSE / HIGH PRESSING
To our Vibe friends who picked these options, do you think Man United’s squad have the workrate up-front + the pace in defense to succeed with this … ?

Am interested to read anyone’s thoughts on how they would get this to work with the current squad! 🙂  

19 hours ago, DanEnglish said:

@Scratch @fRESH @Oseni - 100% agree - that’s a great idea, yes it could be a fun shorter challenge, especially for an early save when first buying the game.

0A241C1B-5ED3-47FA-87FE-CFDEEB7DCFA9.thumb.jpeg.79cfc85668d06cf502015c17554fb97e.jpeg

WING PLAY
For our Vibe friends who would use ‘wing play’ (think Wingers and WBs crossing often to a TM/Poacher):

• who would be your main ST? Ronaldo is their best aerial ST (16-17 aerial/strength), but that’s not better than the average EPL opposition DC. Or would you retrain McTominay there?! 
  • Who would your Wingers be? Sancho is likely your right-sided winger, but who would you use on the left side - Telles?! 

E910D0D8-EEA4-48EE-8A67-E1A45EDF5612.thumb.jpeg.3cc2ac711ef9a013820f7e0ab7049841.jpeg

INTENSE / HIGH PRESSING
To our Vibe friends who picked these options, do you think Man United’s squad have the workrate up-front + the pace in defense to succeed with this … ?

Am interested to read anyone’s thoughts on how they would get this to work with the current squad! 🙂  

I'm one of the people that choose wing play - as I'm using that strategy to try the Man Utd challenge that someone posted some time ago. Using current Man Utd player, just one transfer (Goncalo Guedes) right Wing and left IF. In that formation I used Ronaldo as main striker, with Cavani as back up - they're doing fine until some Februari. Won the Carabao Cup, get through the group stage of CL, and still first in League with 5 points difference with Liverpool in 2nd. Ronaldo scored ~18 goals, although admittedly I used corner tactic too. But sadly that save already gone, when I saved wrong from my main save. 

Honestly the biggest change I would make to Man U is how they set up defensively in their formation. Their team is begging to switch to a 3-4-3 in my opinion.

My reasonings are:

1.) Their defending is atrocious; adding another defender may help them concede less by staying more compact.

2.) That takes some of the pressure off McFred to be star ball winners all the time.

3.) Martinez could be great in a back 3 on the left side with his lack of height but great athleticism.

4.) Maguire could be great holding in the middle with his large head and not being asked to chase a forward/winger at the edge of the box.

5.) With a lack of a number 9, Fernandes can play coming deep similar to how Kane plays. And let their young wingers bomb forward around him.

If I was managing them, I'd make this change ASAP before Liverpool puts 6 past them this coming gameweek.

What do you think?

Maybe a little off topic but I’ve been a United fan my whole life and seeing what’s transpired since Fergie is nuts! 

I think United would definitely benefit from Ten Hag’s system, we’ve always had the history of flying Wing Backs and getting at the opposition, high intensity, winning the ball as frequently as we can. Like the old days when Ji-Sung Park would chase down anyone and everyone all over the pitch the Korean Kante so to speak. 

I think implementing Ten Hag’s system isn’t a problem, Sancho to play Inverted off the right like Antony at Ajax, Rashford cutting inside, with Ronnie as the TF, although irrelevant to real life CR7 has ran significantly further than the rest of the team in his starts and with his aerial ability being something never seen before, I don’t necessarily think pressing football is something this freak of nature can’t do. McTominay and Fred aren’t necessarily bad players individually but as a duo it’s dumb and dumber each would do very well at a less demanding club. As the thread suggests however, McTominay and Fred possess good stamina which is important for his system it just needs more technical players, with the current squad Hannibal can’t really be any worse than either of them and if you want to be slightly unrealistic can always call back VDB or Garner.

I like this thread and would be interesting to implement each style in the game of FM but with the constant chop and changing of managers and systems as you mention, the current state of the team is a mess of players who have played under each manager, no direction or stability. The team is very much in need of serious surgery regardless. 

Have any of your opinions changed - since Man Utd turned their first two losses into a 4 game (?) winning streak?

Has this good form changed how you'd setup Man Utd’s tactics in FMM23?!

Previous votes in spoiler:

Spoiler

3A53877C-639E-4E30-92E4-F1D9BAE68461.thumb.jpeg.61494268482cd1e9259eb25fc71d428a.jpeg