Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Anyone else have a lost/hate relationship with the game?

Rob

So, I love FMM. I love the simplicity of it. I love being able to pick it up and play - often in the background whilst watching something on telly or whilst the kids are playing. I love Vibe and the challenges. It’s been a long time since I’ve played the game without there being a challenge involved.

And then all of a sudden I absolutely hate the game. Playing it is the furthest thing from mind; it’s the worst thing possible. I genuinely get to the point where it makes me feel borderline sick at the thought of playing it.

The switch is so quick. It doesn’t happen over a period time. I can play a long period one night and love it, and then wake the following morning and utterly despise the thought of playing. Then when I factor in careers I’ve started and posted on here, it makes me grouchy as I never think I’ll finish them.

Anyone else get this? Or am I just weird?

16 minutes ago, Titjes said:

I have the same thing. That's why I haven't done any careers lately, just community games 🤷😅

Why do you think it happens?

1 minute ago, Rob said:

Why does it happen though?!?

You get tired of seeing the same thing all the time (least that's how I feel)

We need more features in the next iteration of the game

Yeah agreed. The simplicity and ‘pick up and play’ element of FMM is what makes it. But also what makes it boring after a little bit. After a couple of seasons it all becomes samey. I do actually think it needs to be harder or have a harder option for those you want it. Being able to win the CL with Wolves in the second season for example isn’t realistic. 

Maybe it’s down to me needing more self control but when you know what a regen looks like you’re going to snap them up instead of letting players develop naturally in the game. When you have a team full of world class youngsters by season 4 the fun goes. 

1 hour ago, Oseni said:

You get tired of seeing the same thing all the time (least that's how I feel)

We need more features in the next iteration of the game

That makes so much sense. It’s the ‘rinse repeat’ element, I guess? I blame the challenges I pick to do for that! 

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

Yeah agreed. The simplicity and ‘pick up and play’ element of FMM is what makes it. But also what makes it boring after a little bit. After a couple of seasons it all becomes samey. I do actually think it needs to be harder or have a harder option for those you want it. Being able to win the CL with Wolves in the second season for example isn’t realistic. 

Maybe it’s down to me needing more self control but when you know what a regen looks like you’re going to snap them up instead of letting players develop naturally in the game. When you have a team full of world class youngsters by season 4 the fun goes. 

Haha, yeah. That seems very unrealistic when you say it out aloud. You sort of feel like you have learnt everything!

We need more of everything

The fact that I've experienced what this game feels like on PC makes me want extremely uninterested in this game I know they can't port everything in it but they should try harder (I'm talking about sega🙃)

I've come to really hate this years iteration of the game. Every save, regardless of players or formations the game randomly decides "your team is now rubbish for 5-10 games". "Being FM'd" has always been part of the game (it really is a Random-Number-Generator after all), but this year I've had it so much that I even put a topic about it after having multiple games where I felt like i was having 3x "bad" things happen pretty much every match.

I've also still got this issue where the A.I will use a specific formation against me in pretty much every fixture, and i've yet to find a tactic that reliably counters it. I've come to know beforehand that i'll probably lose the fixture, regardless of who it's against or what i do. Of course that then makes the game a lot less fun.

There's a couple of other things that's annoyed me this year - in previous versions you'd have to properly scout to find wonderkids. Last year for instance I regularly scouted EVERY player under the age of 20 and signed those with 4-5 star potential - on my main save i had found an amazing striker i signed for 100k and a defender i got for 10k and they both ending up being worth over 100m after a few seasons. I don't feel you can do this now - all the wonderkids are automatically worth crazy money and if you make an offer for them their club wants 10x their value.

Morale seems to make too much of an impact this year too - like the whole team suddenly playing poorly because the players "don't think we can win the league", even when you're top. 

On 03/09/2022 at 10:18, Rob said:

So, I love FMM. I love the simplicity of it. I love being able to pick it up and play - often in the background whilst watching something on telly or whilst the kids are playing. I love Vibe and the challenges. It’s been a long time since I’ve played the game without there being a challenge involved.

And then all of a sudden I absolutely hate the game. Playing it is the furthest thing from mind; it’s the worst thing possible. I genuinely get to the point where it makes me feel borderline sick at the thought of playing it.

The switch is so quick. It doesn’t happen over a period time. I can play a long period one night and love it, and then wake the following morning and utterly despise the thought of playing. Then when I factor in careers I’ve started and posted on here, it makes me grouchy as I never think I’ll finish them.

My biggest issue is that the tactics are still too simple. I'd love to be able to set positions to attack, defend, and support role at the very least. Once I made the tactic I've posted on here, the game became the same thing over and over. 

I guess it's also partially my fault in that I don't want to find another way to have a team play. I don't want to make a counter attacking tactic for example. 

Oh I feel this, I've played more of 22 than I have in years though tbf. 

Personally I blame the time investment as my biggest turn off, I just find the game too time consuming now. When a season takes 5ish hours, that means a 10 year career takes 50 hours. I just struggle to justify that compared to other forms of media and just life in general. Especially when trying to get back into the Vibe challenge space as a single injury could waste 10-20-30-40 hours work and that's not taking into account the hours of write ups and the like. I do think the game is longer winded and bigger now, especially compared to the PSP but I'm also not a kid anymore etc. 

When I think I put 60 odd hours into Xenoblade or Pokémon Legends, two games I absolutely loved or I could play 12 odd seasons of FMM. It's not really a comparison is it? 

It's actually a big complement that I still actually do dabble with FMM. Just checked a 4 season save I'm enjoying, I've 23 hours invested in that. Then I look at my other game backlog and realise how I could have spent that gaming time 😂

The challenges and the forum in particular were what kept me so engrossed for as long as I was. If I’m going to be spending so much time hunched over staring at a screen, it’s going to have to be something that really interests me, or be worthwhile, and it was for me on here for a good year or two. There’s always the chance of it becoming too much, and finding the balance can be difficult. It’s all energy at the end of the day.

I’m in a position now where I wouldn’t want to get into the forum and game like I was before, which puts me off even bothering. I dunno, I’ll probably try the next game and see if I can find a way to enjoy it in a healthy way.

16 minutes ago, Ian said:

The challenges and the forum in particular were what kept me so engrossed for as long as I was. If I’m going to be spending so much time hunched over staring at a screen, it’s going to have to be something that really interests me, or be worthwhile, and it was for me on here for a good year or two. There’s always the chance of it becoming too much, and finding the balance can be difficult. It’s all energy at the end of the day.

I’m in a position now where I wouldn’t want to get into the forum and game like I was before, which puts me off even bothering. I dunno, I’ll probably try the next game and see if I can find a way to enjoy it in a healthy way.

Its a young mans game now Ian. We are relegated to the bench....even the under 23's like Tom Huddleston.

On 03/09/2022 at 16:18, Rob said:

I have really struggled with this years game but i feel exactly the same...about 2 months ago i was playing this game constantly then bam a random frustration came about the tactics and random drop in form that comes like clock work in every save i just gave up...I have picked it up again the past few days but again same frustrations. seriously contemplating not buying next years addition and going back and re downloading a previous years 

One thing I've done recently to spice up the game is make myself compete in short time frames. Becoming sort of a mercenary. I pick 5 leagues and try to win each one, switching teams every two years. I won't spend more than two seasons at a club anymore as after that, I feel like I can go on auto pilot.

The challenge for me comes with managing a side that has a bloated squad/poor financially/underperforming and trying to turn them around shortly. If I spend more than two seasons at a club, we win more, but the game gets stale as everything is pretty much set up.

I like to imagine storylines that fit the real world. For example, the new club is doubling my salary, my wife has always wanted to move to London, or a row with the board because of demands; "We've won the league two years in a row, but you're denying my fifth stadium expansion request in 6 months? See ya!"

I don't think I've ever actually hated it, but occasionally I burn out on it and need a total break.

Not this year though. I have slowed down playing and am playing other things at the same time and started reading again, so it takes longer to get through a season. I'm still playing regularly, but not all the time like I do in November. 

Of course I don't really have a choice to stop playing right now, thanks to a certain someone suckering me into doing a long term career, thanks @Rob, thanks very much... 🤣

Edited by Scratch
4 hours ago, Scratch said:

I don't think I've ever actually hated it, but occasionally I burn out on it and need a total break.

Not this year though. I have slowed down playing and am playing other things at the same time and started reading again, so it takes longer to get through a season. I'm still playing regularly, but not all the time like I do in November. 

Of course I don't really have a choice to stop playing right now, thanks to a certain someone suckering me into doing a long term career, thanks @Rob, thanks very much... 🤣

Sorry.

Not sorry.

On 06/09/2022 at 14:38, Woody said:

Its a young mans game now Ian. We are relegated to the bench....even the under 23's like Tom Huddleston.

Probably true Woody, but I refuse to give in to age. I still feel like I’m about 21, but my liver probably thinks otherwise lol.

13 hours ago, Ian said:

Probably true Woody, but I refuse to give in to age. I still feel like I’m about 21, but my liver probably thinks otherwise lol.

I feel ya mate 🤣

Played a bit the other day, loved it, and then hated it again the following day.

I do wonder if it says more about my moods rather than the game 🤔

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Played a bit the other day, loved it, and then hated it again the following day.

I do wonder if it says more about my moods rather than the game 🤔

I think it says you're a misserable sod every other day 🤣

On 04/09/2022 at 10:09, Rob said:

Why does it happen though?!?

Hi @Rob I do get the same feelings, I've been playing football manager games since the late 80's when it was on a Spectrum ZX80 and 81, then mainly Commodore 64, before the PC game really took off, 01/02 was probably the best ever, but now I don't think we get bored as such, more uninterested because it gets to easy, we all know how to spot future regens, and nobody can help but buy them because you want the best for your team, but after say 4 or 5 seasons, even the lowest teams can be the best, winning the prem League of any country, champions League also, look at those who have won the championship league with Celtic year after year on different challenges, to be truthful would that ever happen in our lifetime, and I'm not insulting Celtic, I'm just being realistic now and here, so it's not you hate playing, you simply get bored because you know your starting all over again and again each time and it does at times get monotonous, that's why I am simply trying to crack the challenges nobody else really admits to, this way I don't get bored because they are not guaranteed to be successful, obviously all in my own opinion

4 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

Hi @Rob I do get the same feelings, I've been playing football manager games since the late 80's when it was on a Spectrum ZX80 and 81, then mainly Commodore 64, before the PC game really took off, 01/02 was probably the best ever, but now I don't think we get bored as such, more uninterested because it gets to easy, we all know how to spot future regens, and nobody can help but buy them because you want the best for your team, but after say 4 or 5 seasons, even the lowest teams can be the best, winning the prem League of any country, champions League also, look at those who have won the championship league with Celtic year after year on different challenges, to be truthful would that ever happen in our lifetime, and I'm not insulting Celtic, I'm just being realistic now and here, so it's not you hate playing, you simply get bored because you know your starting all over again and again each time and it does at times get monotonous, that's why I am simply trying to crack the challenges nobody else really admits to, this way I don't get bored because they are not guaranteed to be successful, obviously all in my own opinion

Wonderful points, and I agree. In terms of difficulty though, where would you place where it should be? PC version seems way too convoluted for me.

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Wonderful points, and I agree. In terms of difficulty though, where would you place where it should be? PC version seems way too convoluted for me.

I think it's all down to what you want, most of the older generation probably just sit and play during watching football or just TV, not really putting much effort into it, those others, younger generation, or those wanting to crack a challenge like @Scratch will sit and concentrate to get the best out of their team, so my point is, the difficulty is easy after 4 or 5 seasons because it has to be to keep us all interested, where the PC version is waaaaaaaay over thought thinking, to many buttons, to many brain cells to use, not pick up and play, so it gets to the point where I got fed up as it evolved, and I think at times the FMM is getting like that, to many of the younger generations are trying/wanting it to do to much, it's not a plug and play game anymore, it's getting to be a big database, to complicated in some areas, to much to do at times, it was called Mobile for a reason, and I know it's nowhere near as tedious as the PC game, but slowly is drifting that way, maybe this is where the boredem part comes into play with us all?? Maybe we do remember the Mobile days, less faf more click and play???