Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat The famous Corner tactic

Massey127

I know a few posts have been made about the controversial corner tactic but whilst I personally don't have an issue with this, I do have an issue with your CD being your top scorer lol.

I have tried testing this to see if it works for a striker but have very mixed results.

For a start it's hard to get a striker available that is at least 17 Aerial and available.  Even using the editor to test this it just seems like you never get a single corner.  I played an entire season to test this with a striker 20 Aerial and 20 Strength and we got two corners all season wtf!!!!

Has anyone else more thorough or in game experience whilst testing this?  Without the editor the only strikers suitable are Haaland (too expensive to buy anyway), Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo (heading decreased to 16 within two weeks) or Sesko but you can't buy him.  The only strikers available to buy and test are Gomez or Lewin but after an entire season Lewins heading won't increase beyond 16 so not really suitable.

What's your thoughts?

My 16yo striker with 11 aerial still scores a fair few, and I get a decent amount of crosses/corners. Using pushed up WB with 2 wide APs with a central AM  and 2 CM. Nowhere near as OP as last year but seems to do the trick. No idea how you managed to get 2 corners all season lol.

Also, Giroud is available fairly cheap

Is that the one centre back to mark the keeper and everyone back?

Be interesting to use it as a striker and see what I can do. Specially in the lower leagues

3 hours ago, DutchTony said:

36 goals from corners. Both defenders have 17 aerial.

1664985669_Screenshot_20221113-163251_FM23Mobile.thumb.jpg.ac0cd223f7728e6622d8da4bbd259bad.jpg

1019175269_Screenshot_20221113-163302_FM23Mobile.thumb.jpg.c99d8a299239053f42807f6d154c42bd.jpg

With De Bruyne taking them aerial don't matter 😆 

The corner tactic seems to be working about as normal for me. I've seen SI say they've toned it down a little, but if so, it's not by much. At least for me. I'm getting a goal or two a game I guess.

I have got Tezgel to 18 Aerial so far, but +4 came from mentoring with Carrillo. I did it twice, and even though the game says he won't benefit from the second round of mentoring, he does. Then he got +4 on his own. Mid-way in season 2. I also got Lazetic to 18 (so far), not as much from mentoring because he starts with stronger Aerial.

That said, I have heard from people it's harder to train this year. 

1 hour ago, Scratch said:

La tattica d'angolo sembra funzionare normalmente per me. Ho visto SI dire che l'hanno attenuato un po', ma se è così, non lo è di molto. Almeno per me. Sto ottenendo uno o due gol a partita, immagino.

Finora ho portato Tezgel a 18 Aerial, ma +4 derivava dal tutoraggio con Carrillo. L'ho fatto due volte, e anche se il gioco dice che non trarrà vantaggio dal secondo round di tutoraggio, lo fa. Poi ha ottenuto +4 da solo. A metà della stagione 2. Ho anche portato Lazetic a 18 (finora), non tanto da mentore perché inizia con Aerial più forte.

Detto questo, ho sentito da persone che è più difficile allenarsi quest'anno. 

With good tactics you can be dangerous. However, I noticed that the defense is more reactive on corners. I like this thing.

Yes the point of the post is to indicate that the corner tactic works for a CD but not for a striker.

I have run multiple tests now and it seems not only for a striker to replicate defenders return from corners but also that it is almost impossible to increase aerial stats on a striker too.

Tried tests with every striker that is 16 and above for aerial and not a single one improved after two years of training for aerial with the likes of ibrahimovic, carillo, Giroud etc as mentors!

yes it's quite interesting. Last years Game i also tried the corner tactic with some strikers mainly to get them good grades and develop them faster and they were not nearly as efficient as my CDs. 

I found that besides aerial strenght also matters as I got some of the best results using zagadou who has 20 strenght. Also determination helps a lot. I play a lot with St. Pauli and Medic is a beast having 17 aerial and good determination. Maybe for some odd reason you also need tackling or positioning for this to work best.

I also don't see much difference in this between last years and this years game, although it's been said it would be harder. 

25 minutes ago, Massey127 said:

Yes the point of the post is to indicate that the corner tactic works for a CD but not for a striker.

I have run multiple tests now and it seems not only for a striker to replicate defenders return from corners but also that it is almost impossible to increase aerial stats on a striker too.

Tried tests with every striker that is 16 and above for aerial and not a single one improved after two years of training for aerial with the likes of ibrahimovic, carillo, Giroud etc as mentors!

Well, I have a two strikers who are 18 Aerial (one started with 10 and one started with 13). Both of them have gotten some improvements naturally (when training as a TM with target attribute rotating between Aerial and Pace) and I've gotten +4 for one of the players from mentoring as mentioned above.

That's using Carrillo. Giroud and Ibra will be no good for this, they want to train the player in other stuff, not Aerial, but Carillo will train Aerial. 

And they are scoring from corners, about a goal a game, maybe more, hard to keep track.

So... it's working for me!

Which strikers are you using? I'd recommend Lazetic. He's tall, and I have an unproven theory that tall strikers are more likely to improve Aerial like shorter ones. He seemed to increase more naturally than Tezgel for me (who needed more help from Carrillo). And who's taking the corners? I'm using a player with 18 crossing at the moment and more are going in since he's levelled up. And who are your opposition? I'm playing in Scotland so the defenders aren't that good. Might not be as effective in the EPL...

40 minutes ago, Massey127 said:

My 16yo went from 8 to 13 aerial in half a season with Giroud mentoring. He scores a fair few from corners too, but not as many as @Scratch 😆 I did score more once I got Kostic (with 19 crossing, my best before him was 16/17) so I think that your corner taker really matters more this year too.

7 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Well, I have a two strikers who are 18 Aerial (one started with 10 and one started with 13). Both of them have gotten some improvements naturally (when training as a TM with target attribute rotating between Aerial and Pace) and I've gotten +4 for one of the players from mentoring as mentioned above.

That's using Carrillo. Giroud and Ibra will be no good for this, they want to train the player in other stuff, not Aerial, but Carillo will train Aerial. 

And they are scoring from corners, about a goal a game, maybe more, hard to keep track.

So... it's working for me!

Which strikers are you using? I'd recommend Lazetic. He's tall, and I have an unproven theory that tall strikers are more likely to improve Aerial like shorter ones. He seemed to increase more naturally than Tezgel for me (who needed more help from Carrillo). And who's taking the corners? I'm using a player with 18 crossing at the moment and more are going in since he's levelled up. And who are your opposition? I'm playing in Scotland so the defenders aren't that good. Might not be as effective in the EPL...

How many seasons in till they were getting a gpg from corners? 😮  that's insane

I've found Movement is just important as Aerial/Strength for it to work reliably for me. I started off with 1 defender who had the higher aerial (16) but only had 3 movement and he scored 1 goal in 5 games, so i switched to the other with 12 aerial and 12 movement and he's score 4 in 3 games so far.  

Okay, so I did a test with my two strikers (whichever one was on the field at the time). I played 10 matches and got the following results:

• 5 corners, 0 goals
  • 10 corners, 1 goal
  • 14 corners, 2 goals
  • 7 corners, 2 goals
  • 7 corners, 1 goal
  • 12 corners, 0 goals
  • 6 corners, 1 goal
  • 12 corners, 1 goal
  • 6 corners, 1 goal
  • 7 corners, 3 goals

So that's a total of 86 corners and 12 goals over 10 games. 

Not quite as good as I thought it would be. I think last year it would have been at least 1.5 or higher. But then I had strikers that had 20 Aerial and wingers with 20 Crossing. We'll see what happens if any of this lot level up. 

I guess it depends on the Aerial value of the target (Pace and Movement help a lot too), the Crossing of the corner taker, the quality of the defense, and of course the one I missed above, how many corners you take! I'm averaging 8.6 corners per game, if you only get 4 on average, then of course you'll get less goals.

Edit: Obviously when I am talking about 'goals' above, I mean 'goals from corners'! 😀

Edited by Scratch
2 hours ago, Chris said:

My 16yo went from 8 to 13 aerial in half a season with Giroud mentoring. He scores a fair few from corners too, but not as many as @Scratch 😆 I did score more once I got Kostic (with 19 crossing, my best before him was 16/17) so I think that your corner taker really matters more this year too.

Oh, I better ask then, does Giroud help improve Aerial? Last year he wouldn't have, it would have been team work or leadership. But this year it seems they can affect multiple things, so maybe I was wrong when I said Giroud wouldn't help with Aerial.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

How many seasons in till they were getting a gpg from corners? 😮  that's insane

I just started February in season 2. They level up quickly because a) I chose players I know are going to level up quickly because they have a low-ish starting CA and high PA and b) I played them from the start and it's not that hard for them to score goals in Scotland and then they do, they level up quicker... 

4 hours ago, HudsonOfSmeg said:

I've found Movement is just important as Aerial/Strength for it to work reliably for me. I started off with 1 defender who had the higher aerial (16) but only had 3 movement and he scored 1 goal in 5 games, so i switched to the other with 12 aerial and 12 movement and he's score 4 in 3 games so far.  

Aggression is the other stat that will affect attacking corners. I had a player two years ago that was getting a goal a game from back post corners (no exploit) and had those four in abundance.

3 hours ago, Scratch said:

Oh, I better ask then, does Giroud help improve Aerial? Last year he wouldn't have, it would have been team work or leadership. But this year it seems they can affect multiple things, so maybe I was wrong when I said Giroud wouldn't help with Aerial.

I just started February in season 2. They level up quickly because a) I chose players I know are going to level up quickly because they have a low-ish starting CA and high PA and b) I played them from the start and it's not that hard for them to score goals in Scotland and then they do, they level up quicker... 

Yeah he's doing the trick. It's been a long time mentoring though; just started 2nd season and they still haven't finished. But my guy is still improving quickly and enjoying working with Giroud. Haven't tried to end it yet, but think I'll try and see if you can still double dip this year.

7 hours ago, Chris said:

think I'll try and see if you can still double dip this year.

With Tezgel, I gave him three half mentoring stints with Quagliarella (transfering some of Quags's hidden attributes to him), plus two full runs with Carrillo (giving +4 for Aerial). 

Mind you, Tezgel starts with lowish CA, so may be more open to learning. Once the player being mentored becomes better than the mentor, it seems to slow down or even become ineffective.

24 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Once the player being mentored becomes better than the mentor, it seems to slow down or even become ineffective.

Ahhh maybe this is why I haven't had great success mentoring certain players. Last year I could get a 1 or 2 star player to mentor a 4 star player in aerial and his aerial would still significantly go up. This year that hasn't been the case.

This is very interesting.

13 hours ago, Scratch said:

With Tezgel, I gave him three half mentoring stints with Quagliarella (transfering some of Quags's hidden attributes to him), plus two full runs with Carrillo (giving +4 for Aerial). 

Mind you, Tezgel starts with lowish CA, so may be more open to learning. Once the player being mentored becomes better than the mentor, it seems to slow down or even become ineffective.

Hey Scratch. How do you know when it’s half done? The progress bar doesn’t seem to move in this one like the last one did…

7 minutes ago, Ctof86 said:

Hey Scratch. How do you know when it’s half done? The progress bar doesn’t seem to move in this one like the last one did…

Yeah, annoying they removed that, so now I leave it until the first message (ie "Mentor reports that it's going well and X has improved"). 

10 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Yeah, annoying they removed that, so now I leave it until the first message (ie "Mentor reports that it's going well and X has improved"). 

Cool, thanks will give that a go.

Next question: I’m 3 seasons in and want to keep mentoring my players but the guys I brought in at the start are all retired or retiring (I am conscious of what you said about the mentee being better than the mentor).

I don’t have many 28-31 year olds in my squad. Those that I do have, don’t have the stats that I want to boost (i.e. Ariel) but do have the desirable hidden attributes that I want.

So three seasons in, do you still buy in players to mentor the youngsters? If so. Who? Or how to find them?

I did experiment with this and brought in: De Gea, Thorgan Hazard, Arnautovic, Shultz and Tadic last year to mentor the latest influx of youth. However they mostly gained Teamwork and Aggression stats as their in-game attributes aren’t anything to write home about anymore… so it was a semi-failure.

Any advice please?

Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, Ctof86 said:

Cool, thanks will give that a go.

Next question: I’m 3 seasons in and want to keep mentoring my players but the guys I brought in at the start are all retired or retiring (I am conscious of what you said about the mentee being better than the mentor).

I don’t have many 28-31 year olds in my squad. Those that I do have, don’t have the stats that I want to boost (i.e. Ariel) but do have the desirable hidden attributes that I want.

So three seasons in, do you still buy in players to mentor the youngsters? If so. Who? Or how to find them?

I did experiment with this and brought in: De Gea, Thorgan Hazard, Arnautovic, Shultz and Tadic last year to mentor the latest influx of youth. However they mostly gained Teamwork and Aggression stats as their in-game attributes aren’t anything to write home about anymore… so it was a semi-failure.

Any advice please?

Thanks again!

To be honest, I generally only mentor my main young striker (and his back up). After the first season or two I don't worry about it too much.

I'm always trying to bring in players who are professional / determined / work hard, so the squad is improving that way and once you level up the youth facilities, most of the youngsters are overpowered when comes to hidden attributes anyway. Then I have lots of wonderkids and some will always swim, so not that much need for mentoring attribute either. 

So I don't have much advice for finding mentors later on. I mean scout players and look to get players around 30 or older who are determined / professional, work hard etc.

If you are trying to increase a particular attribute, then in FMM22, you had to make sure you find someone high in that attribute, but not particularly high in leadership, aggression, team work etc, or they would train them only in that. However it might be this year they train in more than one thing more easily, haven't tested it yet.

19 hours ago, Scratch said:

To be honest, I generally only mentor my main young striker (and his back up). After the first season or two I don't worry about it too much.

I'm always trying to bring in players who are professional / determined / work hard, so the squad is improving that way and once you level up the youth facilities, most of the youngsters are overpowered when comes to hidden attributes anyway. Then I have lots of wonderkids and some will always swim, so not that much need for mentoring attribute either. 

So I don't have much advice for finding mentors later on. I mean scout players and look to get players around 30 or older who are determined / professional, work hard etc.

If you are trying to increase a particular attribute, then in FMM22, you had to make sure you find someone high in that attribute, but not particularly high in leadership, aggression, team work etc, or they would train them only in that. However it might be this year they train in more than one thing more easily, haven't tested it yet.

Thanks bud,

When you attempt the 2nd/3rd dip (and it says doesn’t think further mentoring will work), I find that the bar goes red and morale drops. Should I continue with it or kill it?

If you find time in between your app development, please do a write up of this stuff. It would be a game changer for many and I would be a very eager reader!

Thanks

I feel I have to use the corner exploit or every game would end 0-0. Get 10+ shots on target per game but only getting wins thanks to Cresswell from corners. A219E4B5-5998-478F-952B-4A2A0EDE8AB0.thumb.png.37e4e90032b4f4f900cb09c103bb98a2.png