Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic World Cup 2022 Discussion Thread

FuddledFox

The World Cup 2022 starts on Sunday with Qatar versus Ecuador and this thread is here for all discussions around the tournament.

Lets start with a few predictions.

• Who will be top scorer?
  • Who will emerge as a new star in world football?
  • Which Nation will be the biggest flop?
  • Which nation will become world champions?

In the meantime if you want to join any of our World Cup games here are the links.

@samhardy has his prediction game where you predict the results of each game.

Whilst I’m running a Fantasy Football World Cup league here.

Its so weird this time round, I'm usually quite excited for any major international tournament, but I just don't have any buzz for this at all. There are a number of reasons why, which I won't get into here as they have all been mentioned throughout the build up to this World Cup. 

I'm kind of similar James, though I'm hoping when it starts that the football catches my attention.

I'm one of those 'I'm not bothered' but then the game starts and I'm a 7 year old again types 😂, though thats a survival trait as a Town fan!

lets go with the predictions, ill try not going with the usual

- KDB top scorer

- im between Gakpo and De La Cruz

- France will be the huge flop

- gotta say Argentina

2 hours ago, JamesVilla said:

Its so weird this time round, I'm usually quite excited for any major international tournament, but I just don't have any buzz for this at all. There are a number of reasons why, which I won't get into here as they have all been mentioned throughout the build up to this World Cup. 

We were having this exact same chat yesterday in the office. Just doesn’t feel like a World Cup yet. Don’t even have a wall planner up. 

4 hours ago, JamesVilla said:

2 hours ago, StuartM said:

I'm kind of similar James, though I'm hoping when it starts that the football catches my attention.

I'm one of those 'I'm not bothered' but then the game starts and I'm a 7 year old again types 😂, though thats a survival trait as a Town fan!

1 hour ago, Rob said:

We were having this exact same chat yesterday in the office. Just doesn’t feel like a World Cup yet. Don’t even have a wall planner up. 

You've all become too relaxed because you're always in the World Cup.

This is the first time I get to watch my nation compete in my lifetime. I'm buzzing! (As much as I can be when this particular World Cup has come at the absolute worst time for Newcastle 🤦‍♂️) BUZZING!

On 18/11/2022 at 16:55, MatiasDFS said:

- KDB top scorer

- gotta say Argentina

Just seeing that Benzema is out for France now, with Pogba already missing I think you may be right (watch them knock England out now 😂).

On 18/11/2022 at 19:07, Dai_ said:

You've all become too relaxed because you're always in the World Cup.

This is the first time I get to watch my nation compete in my lifetime. I'm buzzing! (As much as I can be when this particular World Cup has come at the absolute worst time for Newcastle 🤦‍♂️) BUZZING!

That's almost totally fair, I think it is much less of a surprise to be there (though we don't always qualify...) and part of my downplaying of the build up is kind of an expectation management tactic.

Seeing some of the training footage, it is going to be too hot for the European nations that rely on running. It will be about keeping the ball and putting in efforts when there is something to be gained.

I think Brazil and Argentina are the favourites for me. If Neymar shows it could be Brazil, if Messi hits his groove it could be Argentina.

59 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Anyone want to have a go at explaining why that was disallowed then?

I can't! Seriously. 😳

Before kick-off the commentator made a point of saying there's now 7 "referee's" in the VAR room. SEVEN people got that wrong!? Wow! 

54 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

I can't! Seriously. 😳

Before kick-off the commentator made a point of saying there's now 7 "referee's" in the VAR room. SEVEN people got that wrong!? Wow! 

I know! Imagine a VAR farce in the playoff final 😜

1 hour ago, Dai_ said:

I can't! Seriously. 😳

7 Qataris 🇶🇦

Obviously as English fans we have been long suffering but the Dutch don't half stink out tournaments. 

The odd Bergkamp magic or RVP diving header aside, they are a hard watch. 

Thoughts on all the fake fans. Video doing the rounds of Middle Eastern men dressed up waiving St George flags and facepainted up. It's all incredibly ridiculous this WC

That first half was such a tough watch! It was like going back and watching us in the mid nineties. Simply awful. Ramsey and Bale non-existent. 

The second half we were much much better (not that we could be any worse). Even if Ramsey and Bale still weren't at their best.

It's an annoying dilemma whether to play them whilst both clearly so unfit and have them as passengers with tbe hope they produce a few moments of magic or stick players in there that will have the legs we need at the top level.

A point is more than I thought we would get after the first half so I'm satisfied. 

Yeah, I can't help but think that one starts and the other needs to come on from the bench but I think fitness will dictate how many minutes they both get in the group games as the fixtures come very quick. Nice to see Sorba come on! (Page played centre back for us too at the back end of his career.)

What a huge upset!!! Argentina lose their first match to Saudi Arabia. There was no energy, no co-ordination whatsoever and the Saudi's high line caused a lot of problems for Messi's team. Hope they come back. Can't bear to watch Messi go out like this.

On 18/11/2022 at 19:07, Dai_ said:

(As much as I can be when this particular World Cup has come at the absolute worst time for Newcastle 🤦‍♂️

Just saw this, mate I see it as a positive, the players could do with a rest, recharge their batteries and go again in second half of season. We were getting injuries here and there, gives us time for ASM to get rid of his niggles and get Isak back, couple league games left before we can go for new signings too.

Decent result for your lot last night, its defo yous or USA battling us for Top 2.

4 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Just saw this, mate I see it as a positive, the players could do with a rest, recharge their batteries and go again in second half of season. We were getting injuries here and there, gives us time for ASM to get rid of his niggles and get Isak back, couple league games left before we can go for new signings too.

Decent result for your lot last night, its defo yous or USA battling us for Top 2.

Yeah. It could work both ways. Momentum and Confidence is such a big thing and we had so much of both, that's all. Plus, I don't want to see Wilson on the pitch at all at this entire tournament. Selfish of me, of course but he's far more important to Newcastle than the odd couple of minutes he would get at the end of a match for England. But, I understand what it would mean to a player to just be involved in a World cup match. He's had that now. An assist so wrap him in cotton wool please, Gareth. 🤣

It might come down to goal difference so hopefully we smash Iran and draw or lose by the odd goal to you lot hopefully it'll be enough. I'm just proud to be here tbh. No expectations, just hopeful of getting to the knockouts, somehow.

3 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

Yeah. It could work both ways. Momentum and Confidence is such a big thing and we had so much of both, that's all. Plus, I don't want to see Wilson on the pitch at all at this entire tournament. Selfish of me, of course but he's far more important to Newcastle than the odd couple of minutes he would get at the end of a match for England. But, I understand what it would mean to a player to just be involved in a World cup match. He's had that now. An assist so wrap him in cotton wool please, Gareth. 🤣

It might come down to goal difference so hopefully we smash Iran and draw or lose by the odd goal to you lot hopefully it'll be enough. I'm just proud to be here tbh. No expectations, just hopeful of getting to the knockouts, somehow.

That's how I feel, was worried when Wilson came on, was buzzing yo see him get an assist. And course momentum and confidence is huge so it is a bit of a buzz kill, I'm defo missing being at SJP every other weekend! 

Yous have a good side, should defo be doing well against Iran, think it was Euro 2016 where yous shocked everyone and we're unlucky to lose against Belgium, took us all the way in our game until we got lucky at end with Sturridge goal.

Nice to see two UK teams in the cup, I really think our game against yous will be close. Iran game we were comfortable but games against US and yous will be tricky imo

We beat Belgium in the QF. The absolute best day of my life being in the stadium that day! 😍 

The semi-final loss to Portugal was tough to take. Poor marking at corners cost us. Plus, at the time Ramsey was the most important player we had. Even more so than Bale and he was suspended. Its memories filled with what if's. 

We have a very good squad. Not just team. Granted, quite a few don't play in the top League's and/or are not playing as regularly as I would like but when they play for Wales they usually always step up. It's our calling card. 

Absolute Turdfest of a tournament so far. 

Qatar 0 - 2 Ecuador - Turdfest

Senegal 0- 2 Netherlands - 80 minute Turdfest

England v Iran - Fine for what it was 

USA 1-1 Wales 45 minute Turdfest 45 minute ok but only because it was a home nation so more invested in the result. Otherwise , 90 minute Turdfest. 

Argentina 1-2 Saudi Arabia - shock result and a little more entertaining watch. 

Mexico 0-0 Poland - Stinker of a Turdfest. Can't get worse than this. 

Denmark 0- 0 Tunisia - Hold my beer. Turdfest of the highest order. 

France 4-1 Australia - not competitive but a decent amount of excitement

Morocco 0 - 0 Croatia - My soul has left my body. Turdfest in every sense of the word. 

Last WC had six 0-0. We have had 3 already. What's going on. We were always told that players are tired at the end of the season. They seem shattered and disinterested here. 

Could be the worst tournament in a long time. 

Edited by billy2shots
On 18/11/2022 at 17:55, MatiasDFS said:

- KDB top scorer

- gotta say Argentina

I think you got the 2 last ones inverted from the first game :-)

The upsets continue.Its Japan now who handed over a defeat to Germany. This is already turning out to be so unpredictable. Even the mighty Belgium struggled against Canada with only Spain being the real saving grace. Is the gap between Asian nations and others becoming closer??

Edited by Kanegan
1 hour ago, Kanegan said:

Is the gap between Asian nations and others becoming closer??

On a related, but slightly different note - I would really love it if India + China in particular improved enough to be in / around the world’s top 10-ish.

Imagine if your country was drawn to play one of them in a World Cup knock-out game, and your reaction was “ouch - that will be a tough one” 👏 

Edited by DanEnglish
On 23/11/2022 at 12:15, billy2shots said:

Absolute Turdfest of a tournament so far. 

Qatar 0 - 2 Ecuador - Turdfest

Senegal 0- 2 Netherlands - 80 minute Turdfest

England v Iran - Fine for what it was 

USA 1-1 Wales 45 minute Turdfest 45 minute ok but only because it was a home nation so more invested in the result. Otherwise , 90 minute Turdfest. 

Argentina 1-2 Saudi Arabia - shock result and a little more entertaining watch. 

Mexico 0-0 Poland - Stinker of a Turdfest. Can't get worse than this. 

Denmark 0- 0 Tunisia - Hold my beer. Turdfest of the highest order. 

France 4-1 Australia - not competitive but a decent amount of excitement

Morocco 0 - 0 Croatia - My soul has left my body. Turdfest in every sense of the word. 

Last WC had six 0-0. We have had 3 already. What's going on. We were always told that players are tired at the end of the season. They seem shattered and disinterested here. 

Could be the worst tournament in a long time. 

They don't seem to be getting any better. Although, Belgium looked a bit naff I enjoyed watching Canada last night. If only they could finish....