Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics 3-1-4-2 tactic. Goals and clean sheets galore

Tomhall24

This is my first time posting a tactic, so hoping I've done this correctly.

This is a similar tactic that I used a couple of season ago. It was great then, and it's working a dream now.
Ive only tried it with Burnley in the championship but so far I'm 20 games into the season with 17 wins and 3 draws. 53 goals and 13 conceeded. 
My forwards are banging in goals for fun, my defense is pretty solid too.

Some tips for what you want from the roles
Defense - Burnley defenders are pretty slow, which is why I opted for a sweeper at the back. Because of the high defensive line we were getting beaten with through balls to quick strikers quite often. If this persists even with your sweeper you could look at dropping the defensive line back a step.
Midfield - I found the most success with a bwm in the defensive midfielder role, don't expect great ratings for this player but they are important for helping out the back 3. If the other team plays an attacking midfielder I have been playing him with j man marking. You could try a DLP but I found the defence conceded a few more goals.
With the bbm you want to find someone who with decent shooting, this player seems to get into some really good positions to score so expect a good goal scoring return and assist from this player.
Ive had success with converting wing Backs into the wide midfielders, as long as they are quick, with decent dribbling and crossing you should be OK. These guys get tonnes of assists.
Forwards - I opted to go with a shadow striker and pressing forward and so far they're doing class. Jay Rodriguez is on fire at shadow striker (13 games, 9 goals 2 assists). I recalled Weghorst back from his loan and so far he has 12 goals and 8 assists from 17 games.

With the attacking structure I have been playing Attack at home and against teams I'm clearly better than. Against teams who are equal or better than my team in quality I have been using Counter. So far this system seems to be working well.

Lastly some tips that I have picked up that I feel have come in handy. Feel free to take them or leave them.
When I get started I try to retrain players whose skills match those I need e.g. Wing Backs into wide midfield, strikers into shadow strikers etc. If the players don't like the role or aren't progressing I usually get rid.
Make sure your players are training for the role they're playing.
Try to get an affiliate for your club. I found they come in handy when you're trying to develop young players.
Ive found I can get a decent amount of players on loan without paying for their wage, see how you get on.
Make sure to scout all the players whose contracts are expiring the following season. On January 1st you can offer them a free contract, you can get some bargains this way.
Let me know how you get on with this tactic and if you have any tips for improving.

Screenshot_20221124-224409_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20221124-224417_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20221124-224422_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20221124-224429_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20221124-224445_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-214009_FM23 Mobile.jpg

2 hours ago, Tomhall24 said:

Haha. It's probably easier with Burnley being in championship, how many games have you played?

18 or 19 because I'm in January and bottom 3.

Going to restart from scratch and see if it's a transfers thing. On paper Leeds have the players for it though so I have a suspicion that the players are just not good 🤣

32 minutes ago, Schwantz34 said:

18 or 19 because I'm in January and bottom 3.

Going to restart from scratch and see if it's a transfers thing. On paper Leeds have the players for it though so I have a suspicion that the players are just not good 🤣

I've been reminiscing watching the Leeds team that got to the semis of the champions league 20 years ago. I had an idea to start a career with them and make a predominantly English team (with a couple of Australians) to recreate that famous Leeds team. After seeing your various Leeds posts, - it's now put me off the idea 🤣🤣🤣

29 minutes ago, DutchTony said:

I've been reminiscing watching the Leeds team that got to the semis of the champions league 20 years ago. I had an idea to start a career with them and make a predominantly English team (with a couple of Australians) to recreate that famous Leeds team. After seeing your various Leeds posts, - it's now put me off the idea 🤣🤣🤣

It could just be something I'm doing (or not doing) but it seems whatever I try, including following exactly what some have done with their tactics here, it flops with Leeds regardless.

Even tried my Amorim setups and they work elsewhere still on the new game, but not with Leeds.

22 hours ago, Schwantz34 said:

Not working with Leeds but I'm now almost convinced nothing works with them on this game 🤣

Hate to be that guy but…..

1F74E25B-008B-499F-89FB-1221349770B8.thumb.jpeg.278351dc4ec4bfad2eb218a7e888c42e.jpeg

I use an attacking 4-2-4, signed Scamacca to use as a target man, and Ajer at the back in the first season. Best tip is don’t use strikers with low aerial, they don’t seem to score. Had high hopes for Gelhardt but he never scored or improved. 

Edited by Resurgam
33 minutes ago, Resurgam said:

1F74E25B-008B-499F-89FB-1221349770B8.thumb.jpeg.278351dc4ec4bfad2eb218a7e888c42e.jpeg

I use an attacking 4-2-4, signed Scamacca to use as a target man, and Ajer at the back in the first season. Best tip is don’t use strikers with low aerial, they don’t seem to score. Had high hopes for Gelhardt but he never scored or improved. 

Glad something works because nothing I've used so far has.

42 minutes ago, Resurgam said:

I've just signed Fer Nino at the start of my Leeds career who had a release clause of 3.5M. He's got 15 aerial so hopefully he'll bang in a few 🤞 

Glad someone managed to get somewhere with Leeds 😂 I have to admit, most of my goals come from headers, especially with this formation you get alot of crosses into the box and Weghort and Rodriguez are both pretty handy in the air.

Im just coming to the end of my first season and I'm top of the leaghe having only lost 1. 

Might start a new save with Leeds and see how I get on. Might end up in the same boat as you though Schwantz

9 hours ago, Tomhall24 said:

Nice RSeven. Was that with a different tactic or this one? 

Sorry,I have not made it clear. In my Spurs save, Wout Weghorst in Burnly won top goalscorer of EPL second year. He scored 28 goals, Haaland 26 and Kane 22. Burnly used flat 442.

On 30/11/2022 at 08:06, Tomhall24 said:

Update on my first Burnley season. Won the league with lots of games to spare. Weghorst was league top scorer with 34 goals. 

Screenshot_20221130-210439_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Is this after the update? Really struggling to get a tactic that works consistently. I used a fairly similar system last year and won almost everything so I'll definitely want to give this a go

I must say big thanks, you helped me solve my problem!

I'm running a save with a 4th division Spanish team using a tactic I've been using for 5 years with small teams (a solid 3-3-2-2 with 2 IF, 3 midfielders and two strikers) but this year I it looked completely deadlocked!! I decided to pull back everyone (the 2 IFs, one midfielder and one striker), it got better but not optimal. And I stumbled upon THIS page, you solved it! Thanks! <3

I did really well with Leeds. I've changed formations over the years as my teams gotten better. I finished 6th in my first season, then 4th then 2nd then I won the league 4 years in a row and I've won a few cups and a champions league and was on course for an undefeated league season until the 2nd last game but I'd won the league and had a champions league semi so I'd rotated heavily with an away game at Newcastle. I'm currently using a 442 diamond but I've used a  very wide attacking 2 3 2 2 1 and a 4 2 3 1 and I started with a very defensively solid 433 DM with WBs BPDs a DLP two AP two IW and a poacher its a very good formation to start with with teams who aren't top 6 in the prem. Play attacking balanced, high press balanced tackles high defensive line, work into box, look for overlap short mixed short.... Try that with Leeds it should help at first but don't be afraid to change it as your team gets better. 

On 23/12/2022 at 09:52, nanodrive said:

It's a very aggressive strategy, pushing high, chasing the ball all the time.  hit the ball hard 😆

Yeah its super aggressive. Idea is to try turn the ball over in opponents half. You will. Definitely need some good rotations in your midfield as everyone picks up cards. Just finished my third season and by box to box midfielder for 15 yellows 🤦

added 0 minutes later
On 28/12/2022 at 03:44, Gonzolito said:

I must say big thanks, you helped me solve my problem!

I'm running a save with a 4th division Spanish team using a tactic I've been using for 5 years with small teams (a solid 3-3-2-2 with 2 IF, 3 midfielders and two strikers) but this year I it looked completely deadlocked!! I decided to pull back everyone (the 2 IFs, one midfielder and one striker), it got better but not optimal. And I stumbled upon THIS page, you solved it! Thanks! <3

Ah glad it helped

On 23/12/2022 at 07:10, TehSpaceGiraffe said:

Is this after the update? Really struggling to get a tactic that works consistently. I used a fairly similar system last year and won almost everything so I'll definitely want to give this a go

This was before the update, but even after it's been really successful. I've come 2nd in the premier league both seasons and won the champions league with burnley

Love this tactic.  I tried it with my Notts County team as it is similar to how they line up in real life

I got promoted in four consecutive seasons

It is important to train players for their roles

I also either go Counter with the wide players as Wide Midfielders or if I'm the favourite for the match I go Attack with wingers

Top work 🙂