Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Tactics Problems

Dann3

This may sound stupid but as the title says, I can't understand how tactics work in FMM. I've been playing maybe since 2016 but I still can't get my own tactics to work. I have been reading many guides here but I still don't understand the logic behind it.

Whenever I think I've made a pretty decent tactic for my team.. BOOM! 3-0 loss, 30% possession or 1-0 loss with my team not creating anything.

So I hope you can help me pinpoint whether there is something wrong with this tactic I came up with. I really appreciate your help and also sorry for asking a lot from you guys!

Screenshot_20230201-202626.png

Screenshot_20230201-202631.png

Screenshot_20230201-202636.png

I think a lot of the time people have difficulty with tactics here its more down to the players not fitting the formation. Not saying that's the case with yours but if the players don't fit the roles, or aren't good enough to carry out what's expected of them, no tactic will work. When in doubt, simplify instructions. 

A few thoughts/opinions (not always right!):

Shape looks good enough but you're attacking with 6 players (WB, Wingers, AM, and P) and defending with 4, one of which is a playmaker so its a little unbalanced. In possession you're effectively a 2-2-6 so when you lose possession you'll be susceptible to being hit on the break.

Also your defence is deep so when you've got 6 up front and lose possession, there's a lot of space in the middle for the opposition to play through with your team so spread out. Cautious tackling and playing offside trap means that if you don't have the technical players to soak up pressure, opposition is going to breeze past you and your players wont get stuck in.

Early crosses would probably better with a TF not a Poacher, and with WB you might be better trying overlap for width. Remove shoot on sight too as I only find that works occasionally and most of the time means you'll have lots of wasted shots and therefore lose possession a lot.

Just my 2p.

3 minutes ago, MikeF said:

I think a lot of the time people have difficulty with tactics here its more down to the players not fitting the formation. Not saying that's the case with yours but if the players don't fit the roles, or aren't good enough to carry out what's expected of them, no tactic will work. When in doubt, simplify instructions. 

Shape looks good enough but you're attacking with 6 players (WB, Wingers, AM, and P) and defending with 4, one of which is a playmaker so its a little unbalanced. In possession you're effectively a 2-2-6 so when you lose possession you'll be susceptible to being hit on the break.

Also your defence is deep so when you've got 6 up front and lose possession, there's a lot of space in the middle for the opposition to play through with your team so spread out. Cautious tackling and playing offside trap means that if you don't have the technical players to soak up pressure, opposition is going to breeze past you and your players wont get stuck in.

Early crosses would probably better with a TF not a Poacher, and with WB you might be better trying overlap for width. Remove shoot on sight too as I only find that works occasionally and most of the time means you'll have lots of wasted shots and therefore lose possession a lot.

Just my 2p.

So according to what you said the problem is the roles defense and attack?

What can I do to correct this

5 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Just my 2p.

And how will I set it up for 4 1 2 2 1 

*Screenshots will be appreciated 😊*

Let me contribute with something I have.

The Shape of ur team ain't bad. But let's get to the basics starting with the mentality...if your team is a pretty decent team you should change it to an attacking mentality with time....probably ur 2nd seasons ur players will be used to the mentality of attacking because i believe in the 1st season they are struggling to adjust .

Change the width to "Narrow" The  reason  is because  the players....Defend Narrow ....Small Distances Between Players players  Move Together.....players Protect The Middle - Stay Central - Protect the Goal. -Force Wide - Away from Goal.

Secondly Narrow attacking width instructs players to look to narrow the field and play in the middle of the pitch

Change ur defensive line to either high or balanced because  a deep defensive line is more susceptible to goals especially if ur defenders ain't good enough and incase of an error in defence....the mistake is maybe too costly as it may lead to a goal since it is very close to ur Goal post 

Change from "Early cross"  to "look for overlap"  because when in possession  the the fullbacks will provide a passing option to the midfielders and thus will be able to maintain a 4-4-2 formation when in possession. 

I think you should also change ur player roles. Change the Wingbacks to Full back so that they move forward during attacks and look for overlap when in possession 

Change the AM to an SS because an SS will aggressively push forward and put himself in good goalscoring opportunities. This will create an overload in the opposition box.

Otherwise that's what I can say hope it will be helpful.  Incase of anything please ask me and inquire from others too.

Great question

Firstly, @Scratch’s guide <here> does a good job explaining how to analyze your tactic - plus I’ve replied with my thoughts on that thread, and the guide links to a post of mine elsewhere with a real example. This should be a good first place to start 👍

A few initial thoughts:

• Deep defensive line with all-over pressing? That’s … er … unusual! Do you want the team to have an intense press, or sit deep? Don’t try to do both.
  • Defensive Cover - with no player in the DMC position, in addition to an ‘all over’ press- yes I can imagine you get hit on the break a lot, with huge gaps between your central defense and central midfield. An opposition AMC would have so much time and space.
  • Scoring goals - how are you trying to score - crosses, through balls, or pressing? If your ST is NOT dominant in the air (vs opposition DCs), then change your WBs to IWBs (and change your MC role).

Just some thoughts. Remember the question isn’t “please give me a tactic!” … instead the question is “how can I improve my tactic?” 🙂 

17 hours ago, DanEnglish said:

Great question

Firstly, @Scratch’s guide <here> does a good job explaining how to analyze your tactic - plus I’ve replied with my thoughts on that thread, and the guide links to a post of mine elsewhere with a real example. This should be a good first place to start 👍

A few initial thoughts:

• Deep defensive line with all-over pressing? That’s … er … unusual! Do you want the team to have an intense press, or sit deep? Don’t try to do both.
  • Defensive Cover - with no player in the DMC position, in addition to an ‘all over’ press- yes I can imagine you get hit on the break a lot, with huge gaps between your central defense and central midfield. An opposition AMC would have so much time and space.
  • Scoring goals - how are you trying to score - crosses, through balls, or pressing? If your ST is NOT dominant in the air (vs opposition DCs), then change your WBs to IWBs (and change your MC role).

Just some thoughts. Remember the question isn’t “please give me a tactic!” … instead the question is “how can I improve my tactic?” 🙂 

I just tried something new and it's working well against big and small clubs

Screenshot_20230204-181446.png

Screenshot_20230204-181451.png

Screenshot_20230204-181456.png

Screenshot_20230204-181513.png

Screenshot_20230204-181534.png

On 04/02/2023 at 00:32, DanEnglish said:

Great question

A few initial thoughts:

Pls how can I improve and understand what tactics to use in

* Underdogs 

*Impossible

*Close match situations

On 04/02/2023 at 00:32, DanEnglish said:

Great question

A few initial thoughts:

@EmEs@danenglish

@DanEnglish

* Underdogs 

*Impossible

*Close match situations

Some thoughts on common tactic problems I see (from FMM22) …

Spoiler

Posted in the middle of this thread’s page <here>

8AC12923-4EC8-4E8A-B61A-DC15968A1E5B.thumb.jpeg.8248c6c21cbe8438176dede8ca3a69b8.jpeg

Plus some suggestions to avoid conceding (e.g. hold onto a narrow lead - late in the match) …

Spoiler

See the 3rd post in this thread <here>

3D87803F-ABD2-4F52-9518-DFD150880006.thumb.jpeg.9efbdcf4b99bfa6d536f63a84803a095.jpeg

For underdogs - you need to be super clear what your strategy is, as you can’t do it all - I.e. so how will you score? 

Spoiler
  • Crosses? Many crosses / corners from wingers / WBs - to an aerially dominant striker (e.g. ST with 18-20 for aerial + strength).
  • Or Sterile Possession? Just keep the ball, abs hope for a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Lots of slow passing, with players positions deep - like in a strikerless 41410 - with few/no runs forward. Doesn’t score many, but also doesn’t concede.
  • Or Through Balls? Lots of movement into the channels (AFs, IFs, B2Bs) with creators (APs, DLFs) sitting inbetween the opposition’s defense + midfield, probably with a ‘normal’ defensive line so there is space to run into.
  • Or Direct / Long Balls? Lots of fast, direct long balls to either an aerially dominant TM upfront (who flicks onto a pact P/AF), or over the opposition defense for pacy striker(s) to run onto. Usually has a low defensive line + low pressing.
  • Or Intense Pressing? Win the ball back from the opposition defenders asap. Needs lots of players positioned high up the pitch (not a 41221 !!!) - like a 40141 (with 4 or even 5 players across the AMRLC positions!). Usually with a high line + high press.

Just some examples for you to pick between 🙂 

Edited by DanEnglish
On 05/02/2023 at 05:52, Dann3 said:

@EmEs@danenglish

@DanEnglish

* Underdogs 

*Impossible

*Close match situations

For underdog....use a 352 formation but strong wing backs and strong poachers and target forwads