Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Manchester City Unbeatable?

Mason20000

I have played Manchester City so many times in my FM 23 and I just can't beat them.. no matter how good my players are, I might outplay them, but somehow, Halland always scores and they always win.. always!!! It's really frustrating.. any one face the same problem? Any solutions?

Questions - Which team are you playing as? Do you need to win, or would you accept a 0-0 or 1-1 draw?

My answer - so typically Man City play a 41221 with a lot of possession. As Liverpool (with no signings), I found a pretty consistent way to get narrow wins or low-scoring draws. Only once did I get smashed / heavily beaten, but the other matches were good.

1A939AAB-1C14-44CE-A06E-DC89AA97A619.thumb.jpeg.562d138c4df7759e6451fbc90e186bd5.jpeg

It relies on:

• Van Dijk - you need one star DC who can also match Haaland’s pace.
  • Max Possession - you need to keep possession (65%-75%) so lots of APs, DLPs, slow + short passing, very disciplined, very low risk / defensive mentality.
  •  Max Pressing - the most intense high press you’ve ever used. The aim is to force Man City’s defenders into long balls to their front three (bypassing KDB!) - where your back 4 win either the first or second ball to regain possession. 

IF you want to see more - I described this “intense 451” tactic in this guide <here> and showed Gifs / match stats in the 2nd post of this thread <here>.

IF you don’t have a star DC, then while I haven’t tried this, I recommend testing playing without the ST, and instead having a 2nd DC to protect against Haaland - maybe both with man marking duties?! 

Is a bit extreme - but worked well for me! Thoughts? 🙂 

Edited by DanEnglish
15 minutes ago, DanEnglish said:

Questions - Which team are you playing as? Do you need to win, or would you accept a 0-0 or 1-1 draw?

My answer - so typically Man City play a 41221 with a lot of possession. As Liverpool (with no signings), I found a pretty consistent way to get narrow wins or low-scoring draws. Only once did I get smashed / heavily beaten, but the other matches were good.

1A939AAB-1C14-44CE-A06E-DC89AA97A619.thumb.jpeg.562d138c4df7759e6451fbc90e186bd5.jpeg

It relies on:

• Van Dijk - you need one star DC who can also match Haaland’s pace.
  • Max Possession - you need to keep possession (65%-75%) so lots of APs, DLPs, slow + short passing, very disciplined, very low risk / defensive mentality.
  •  Max Pressing - the most intense high press you’ve ever used. The aim is to force Man City’s defenders into long balls to their front three (bypassing KDB!) - where your back 4 win either the first or second ball to regain possession. 

IF you want to see more - I described this “intense 451” tactic in this guide <here> and showed Gifs / match stats in the 2nd post of this thread <here>.

IF you don’t have a star DC, then while I haven’t tried this, I recommend testing playing without the ST, and instead having a 2nd DC to protect against Haaland - maybe both with man marking duties?! 

Is a bit extreme - but worked well for me! Thoughts? 🙂 

I'll try this.. I'm using Man United btw.. thanks 👍

I used 2-2-2-3-1 formation (2bpd 2wb 1bwm 1btb 2if 1ss and 1pf) with Milan. Passing focus on left flanks as I had leao and Theo who were incredible in drawing fouls and progressing ball. I couldn't stop haaland from scoring I just outscored them. High all over defensive line and counter mentality. Once I was leading by 3-2  in 60-70 minutes I changed to 5-2-3 with 2iwb 2bpd 1cd 1anchor 1dm 2defwinger and 1bwm with time wasting and sit deep and cautious tackling to not give any free kicks. We won 5-3 overall including both legs in UCL(semis??). I had good players tho with perfect health and mentality

6 hours ago, Mason20000 said:

Я так много раз играл с «Манчестер Сити» на своем FM 23, и я просто не могу победить их… неважно, насколько хороши мои игроки, я могу их переиграть, но каким-то образом Халланд всегда забивает, и они всегда побеждают… всегда!! ! Это очень расстраивает.. Кто-нибудь сталкивался с такой же проблемой? Любые решения?

Against Man City I use the ready preset of the tactic "Gegenpressing" (4-1-2-2-1) - I include "Man Marking" on De Bruyne ( my BWM or CM against De Bruyne), it depends on the location of the opponent's creative player. That's it, use it.

8 hours ago, Mason20000 said:

I'll try this.. I'm using Man United btw.. thanks 👍

Great - I hope Varane is good enough 😉

Three useful in-game adjustment options for you. Good luck!

• if you don't need to score yet - then you can change the AMR to an AP (from an IF in the image above), as the AP drifts into space + keeps the possession much better. This gives you a huge 3 APs and 1 DLP. Is surprisingly effective at not giving the ball to the opposition, learnt it from another tactic posted on Vibe 6-12 months ago. If you need to score, then change either the AML or AMR to another role, to get them into the box more.

• if one of the Man City full backs is much worse on the ball than the other, then you can shift your PF slightly to the other side, to force the press onto the weaker full back. E.g. if their DL is much weaker (on your right hand side), then put your PF into the STLC position (marking the opposition DRC) - this forces their players to play a little more often to their weaker side.

• if you are watching extended highlights + if KDB is getting the ball too often, then you can (a) shift your PF slightly towards his side - to force the opposition to play the ball to the opposite side as KDB, plus (b) move that sided AM (e.g. AMRC or AMLC) back into the midfield slot as a normal MC, to mark / cover KDB a little more. It makes the press a little less effective, but helps to prevent KDB getting on the ball in so much space.
7 hours ago, DanEnglish said:

Great - I hope Varane is good enough 😉

Three useful in-game adjustment options for you. Good luck!

• if you don't need to score yet - then you can change the AMR to an AP (from an IF in the image above), as the AP drifts into space + keeps the possession much better. This gives you a huge 3 APs and 1 DLP. Is surprisingly effective at not giving the ball to the opposition, learnt it from another tactic posted on Vibe 6-12 months ago. If you need to score, then change either the AML or AMR to another role, to get them into the box more.

• if one of the Man City full backs is much worse on the ball than the other, then you can shift your PF slightly to the other side, to force the press onto the weaker full back. E.g. if their DL is much weaker (on your right hand side), then put your PF into the STLC position (marking the opposition DRC) - this forces their players to play a little more often to their weaker side.

• if you are watching extended highlights + if KDB is getting the ball too often, then you can (a) shift your PF slightly towards his side - to force the opposition to play the ball to the opposite side as KDB, plus (b) move that sided AM (e.g. AMRC or AMLC) back into the midfield slot as a normal MC, to mark / cover KDB a little more. It makes the press a little less effective, but helps to prevent KDB getting on the ball in so much space.

Thanks mate.. I'll keep Yu posted 🤝

One way to beat Manchester City, is to have your own Haaland. I got lucky with a regen called Jamie-Jay Murphy coming out of Middlesbrough’s academy in my first season!

I love nothing more on this game than getting a worldie striker from your own academy!

In all seriousness though, unless you have the players to match them, best way is to go high line, medium press with a direct passing counter attack. Managed to have a close game every time that way even if it was a draw, 2-1 loss or occasional 1-0 win.

370EA644-461E-49F6-B413-E07E6EC5E8B5.png

687BDD8E-1200-4775-AB87-5D7196F68431.png

BCA1F76B-5EE4-4073-BEDB-6F719241CAB3.png