Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scandi Flick

Explaining Team Mentalities In FM23 Mobile

In Football Manager 23 Mobile, team mentalities play a crucial role in determining the overall strategy and approach of your team. Each mentality has its own distinct characteristics and objectives. Here's an explanation of the different team mentalities:

1. Contain: This mentality focuses on maintaining a solid defensive structure and limiting the opponent's attacking opportunities. It prioritizes defensive stability over attacking risks.

2. Defensive: With a defensive mentality, the emphasis is on sitting deep, absorbing pressure, and launching quick counter-attacks. This approach aims to frustrate opponents and exploit their mistakes on the break.

3. Counter: The counter mentality is similar to defensive but with a greater focus on launching fast and direct counter-attacks. It aims to capitalize on spaces left by the opposition when they commit players forward.

4. Balanced: A balanced mentality strikes a middle ground between defense and attack. The team looks to maintain a stable formation while still being open to exploiting attacking opportunities when they arise.

5. Control: Control mentality is focused on dominating possession and dictating the tempo of the game. Teams playing with this mentality aim to control the match through patient build-up play and methodical attacks.

6. Attacking: This mentality encourages an aggressive and forward-thinking style of play. The team will take more risks, commit more players to attack, and aim to overwhelm the opposition's defense.

7. Overload: The overload mentality pushes the boundaries of attacking play to an extreme. It instructs players to throw caution to the wind, taking maximum risks and overwhelming the opponent with relentless attacking moves.

Remember that choosing the right mentality depends on various factors, including the strength of your squad, the quality of your opponents, and your preferred playing style. Experimenting with different mentalities can help you find the one that suits your team and yields the best results.

Question:
Here’s a follow-up question to the community … because mentality is such an important topic in FMM.

D9E3B6A7-3D55-446C-81F8-75289CE2F58D.jpeg.cbd506f4fab112e420d99cf38ed29874.jpeg

What does each mentality DO?

In other words, in the match engine, what does selecting each mentality do to your tactics / players - how does it make them behave differently?

Option 1 - Contradictions
Does the standard description of each mentality tell you what it does?

Example
Defensive/Counter - ‘sit deep’ defensive line, ‘quick’ tempo, ‘direct’ passing.

However - if this is true - then why do you have the additional instructions for defensive line, tempo and passing?

Is that giving you two places for the same instruction - which means it’s easy to make a tactic where the mentality + instructions contradict? 

So what does the mentality actually DO?!

Option 2 - Sliders
Or does the mentality actually act as a slider - similar to old versions of CM/FM - to adjust the risk vs reward.

5A9F728C-0457-4829-90FB-7FABA658C518.thumb.jpeg.de47b1f0507f79dee07e750ccaddc29d.jpeg

Example
Defensive - low risk, low reward behaviors (e.g. recycle / safe possession, e.g. less movement / safer runs forward) 

Attacking - high risks, high reward behaviors (e.g. incisive / risky passes, e.g. more movement / riskier runs forward)

If this is true - then there are no contradictions between the mentality + other tactical instructions.

So here what does mentality actually DO?

1. Movement  / Positioning (off the ball)
how far forward / back do players move?

• E.g. WBs + Wingers (when the team are in-possession) - on defensive mentalities, they stay deeper. On attacking mentalities, they move much further forward.
  • E.g. Target Men (when the team are out of possession) - on defensive mentalities, they drop deeper to mark the opposition DMC(s). On attacking mentalities, they seem to stay higher up the pitch when defending.

2. Player Actions (on the ball)
Passing / Shooting / Dribbling
On more attacking mentalities, players take higher risk, higher reward behaviors on-the-ball.

• E.g. APs - on defensive mentalities, they are more likely to pass backwards to retain possession. On attacking mentalities, they are more likely to look for a killer ball / dribble past their man / shoot from distance.

Thoughts? 🙂 

What do YOU all think mentalities actually DO? 

Edited by DanEnglish
20 hours ago, DanEnglish said:

Question:
Here’s a follow-up question to the community … because mentality is such an important topic in FMM.

D9E3B6A7-3D55-446C-81F8-75289CE2F58D.jpeg.cbd506f4fab112e420d99cf38ed29874.jpeg

What does each mentality DO?

In other words, in the match engine, what does selecting each mentality do to your tactics / players - how does it make them behave differently?

Option 1 - Contradictions
Does the standard description of each mentality tell you what it does?

However - if this is true - then why do you have the additional instructions for defensive line, tempo and passing?

Is that giving you two places for the same instruction - which means it’s easy to make a tactic where the mentality + instructions contradict? 

So what does the mentality actually DO?!

Option 2 - Sliders
Or does the mentality actually act as a slider - similar to old versions of CM/FM - to adjust the risk vs reward.

5A9F728C-0457-4829-90FB-7FABA658C518.thumb.jpeg.de47b1f0507f79dee07e750ccaddc29d.jpeg

If this is true - then there are no contradictions between the mentality + other tactical instructions.

So here what does mentality actually DO?

1. Movement  / Positioning (off the ball)
how far forward / back do players move?

• E.g. WBs + Wingers (when the team are in-possession) - on defensive mentalities, they stay deeper. On attacking mentalities, they move much further forward.
  • E.g. Target Men (when the team are out of possession) - on defensive mentalities, they drop deeper to mark the opposition DMC(s). On attacking mentalities, they seem to stay higher up the pitch when defending.

2. Player Actions (on the ball)
Passing / Shooting / Dribbling
On more attacking mentalities, players take higher risk, higher reward behaviors on-the-ball.

• E.g. APs - on defensive mentalities, they are more likely to pass backwards to retain possession. On attacking mentalities, they are more likely to look for a killer ball / dribble past their man / shoot from distance.

Thoughts? 🙂 

What do YOU all think mentalities actually DO? 

@DanEnglish what are you saying about me contradicting myself. I haven't understood

1 hour ago, Scandi Flick said:

@DanEnglish what are you saying about me contradicting myself. I haven't understood

Hi @Scandi Flick - nice article 👍 

The good news is that I was not saying that you contradicted yourself.

Instead I was asking a question - then giving two options, where one option means the FMM player can have a tactic which contradicts itself and the other where they can’t. 

Spoiler
  • if an FMM player believes option 1 (which the game descriptions / manual suggests is true) …
  • … then someone can create a tactic which contradicts itself (I.e. a defensive / counter mentality, but with a high line, slow tempo, slow passing)

• OR an FMM player believes option 2 (which is how the game used to work + what I believe to be true) …
  • … then there is no tactical contradiction (between the mentality + the other instructions)

In summary - my response was to build / add on to what you posted, as it’s an important topic. Also (in my opinion) there was nothing in your post which is contradicting yourself 👍 

Hope that clarifies my intentions / meaning 🙂 

5 hours ago, DanEnglish said:

Hi @Scandi Flick - nice article 👍 

The good news is that I was not saying that you contradicted yourself.

Instead I was asking a question - then giving two options, where one option means the FMM player can have a tactic which contradicts itself and the other where they can’t. 

Hide contents
  • if an FMM player believes option 1 (which the game descriptions / manual suggests is true) …
  • … then someone can create a tactic which contradicts itself (I.e. a defensive / counter mentality, but with a high line, slow tempo, slow passing)

• OR an FMM player believes option 2 (which is how the game used to work + what I believe to be true) …
  • … then there is no tactical contradiction (between the mentality + the other instructions)

In summary - my response was to build / add on to what you posted, as it’s an important topic. Also (in my opinion) there was nothing in your post which is contradicting yourself 👍 

Hope that clarifies my intentions / meaning 🙂

Clarified