Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges St. Pauli- A Worker’s Club Uprising


 Share

Recommended Posts

St. Pauli, or Freibeuter der Liga, are a club in the 2. Bundesliga who are known for their working class roots, and their fans are deeply imbedded in ideas of social activism and left wing politics. According to their wikipedia, “ The organization has adopted an outspoken stance against racism, fascism, sexism, and homophobia and has embodied this position in its constitution.” In a sports business driven by oil money and billionaires, a club like FC St. Pauli transforming the football landscape seems impossible, but this is exactly what this save sets out to do. 

The Objectives-
Win the Bundesliga
Win the DFB Pokal
Win the Champions League

All must be accomplished within 10 years

The Tactics-
I’ve alternated between a 4123 Gegenpress and @Cujang ‘s “Perfection” Tactic, a 23122. While the 23122 has had far more success, Injuries at times have pushed me into a system with a lone striker up front and needing more protection at the back.

The Transfers- 
Like many of my saves, there was a huge amount of players being pushed out the door during the first transfer window, and a plethora of Loan players were brought in. Most notably was Shaqueel Van Persie, who struggled during his time at the Kiezkicker. The most notable purchase was Emmanuel Matei, a Romanian Striker from Ajax on whom 90% of the budget was spent, but had shown fantastic speed and strength for the 2 Bundesliga. Matei went on to score 14 goals in roughly 30 starts.

IMG_2556.png?ex=65ed3251&is=65dabd51&hm=

IMG_2666.png?ex=65ed36a6&is=65dac1a6&hm=

First season results-
Despite a brutal midseason slump- with St. Pauli drawing or losing in 6 consecutive matches- the tide began to turn in February, and was highlighted by a victory against crosstown rivals Hamburg, whom we lost 5-2 against earlier in the season.

IMG_2568.png?ex=65ed3251&is=65dabd51&hm=

IMG_2570.png?ex=65ed3251&is=65dabd51&hm=

 

With promotion comes an influx of cash that St. Pauli is unfamiliar with- immediately youth and training facilities were improved, and money was used to scoop up a number of notable players for their first season in return to the Bundesliga since 2010-11. The highlight of these acquisitions was undoubtedly Joel Matip. Other players expected to immediately make the starting XI include Baghdad Bounedjah, Diant Ramaj, Marin Soticek, Onurhan Babuscu, and Nikit Krivtsiov.With 6 big signings, and 13m left in the transfer budget- what other big moves would St. Pauli make to ensure they battled above relegation?

IMG_2657.jpg?ex=65ed3251&is=65dabd51&hm=

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately this club is losing its soul season after season 😢 it became the symbol of left politics selling out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Helio said:

Unfortunately this club is losing its soul season after season 😢 it became the symbol of left politics selling out.

Is the club being sold?

Link to comment
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Popart said:

Is the club being sold?

First of all, I am sorry. I did not mean to hijack your topic with these consideration. For years now and increasingly, St Pauli is becoming a symbol of Disneyland left wing politics. 

The club perfectly understood how easier it is to do marketing out of anti-fascism and radical left politics instead of having a coherent anti colonialist stance (these are for the recent months of course}.

More generally, the area got so gentrified, the hipster bourgeoisie took over the stands, attracted by some long gone alternative/punk culture. They probably think this heritage is still compatible with selling €175 winter jackets and €110 hoodie sweaters, €65 jerseys etc...

You can see St Pauli tshirts all over the world, very little are worn by people that really understand the political implications, it became a fashion item, much like the Che Guevara T-shirts of the 90s...

 

Edited by Helio
Link to comment
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Helio said:

First of all, I am sorry. I did not mean to hijack your topic with these consideration. For years now and increasingly, St Pauli is becoming a symbol of Disneyland left wing politics. 

The club perfectly understood how easier it is to do marketing out of anti-fascism and radical left politics instead of having a coherent anti colonialist stance (these are for the recent months of course}.

More generally, the area got so gentrified, the hipster bourgeoisie took over the stands, attracted by some long gone alternative/punk culture. They probably think this heritage is still compatible with selling €175 winter jackets and €110 hoodie sweaters, €65 jerseys etc...

You can see St Pauli tshirts all over the world, very little are worn by people that really understand the political implications, it became a fashion item, much like the Che Guevara T-shirts of the 90s...

 

No worries! I appreciate the context, I only knew of their punk subculture before going into the save.

 

it’s nice to pretend in game that St. Pauli will reclaim their true roots in my save. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Popart said:

No worries! I appreciate the context, I only knew of their punk subculture before going into the save.

 

it’s nice to pretend in game that St. Pauli will reclaim their true roots in my save. :)

True thing! I did that back in the day! 🍻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Season Two

 

Brought in a whopping 8 players on loan, the vast majority being Wingers and CAM's. Lorenzo Colombo carried us in terms of scoring, with 19 goals in 28 games on loan from AC Milan. Emmanuel Matei provided an excellent option at RW, and Manchester United's Amad Diallo had 17 Goal contributions in 33 games for us.

 

Despite our expectations being to bravely fight relegation, through 25 games we found ourselves in a stunning 3rd place, and seemingly a lock for Champions League football....

 

IMG_2713.png?ex=65f87346&is=65e5fe46&hm=

 

Yet two devastating injuries to our star players Cauly and Colombo saw our attack drop off a cliff, and we fell all the way down to 6th with a brutal loss to FC Koln to end our season.

 

IMG_2724.png?ex=65f87346&is=65e5fe46&hm=

 

Nonetheless, from the 2. Bundesliga to the Conference League is nothing to scoff at. On to season 3!

Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

Is this a challenge or an attempt at a challenge, so needs changing the title to career

Yes, it's the Worker's Uprising Challenge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...