Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Get off my lawn - An old-fashioned tactic by an old man

Hey everyone, I wanted to share this tactic that I have been working on for a while, and after abit of play testing am abit more confident about sharing it.

As an old school FM player who remembers the days of flat 4-4-2s being the default tactic, I never really got used to the surge of 4-3-3 high pressing tactics that are the norm these days. There's an old man inside me that gets pissed every time I see my IFs in the AM bank stop defending anything behind the halfway line.

So I decided to tinker with the tactics to come up with something that 1) had flat banks of 4, 2) was best used with a mid or low block, 3) had an interesting feature so that it would not be too boring. I also wanted it to work without having to sign too many players of a specific type - for example, almost all high pressing formations require quick centre backs, which are so hard to find.

Hence I came up with the below:

image.thumb.png.287b9daf4978e04b8bc297f61464ee66.png

image.thumb.png.443f7cf7ea1bc02914366117d8c6cbde.png

image.thumb.png.4093956c805ae776634a9145ac25423b.png

The basic idea 
- the 4-1-4 structure at the base is ready to absorb pressure, esp with WMs protecting the full backs from opponent WBs

- there is no scientific reason for making my entire defence man-mark, it just seemed to perform better in my preliminary tests. 
- a lone IF upfront with passes designed to focus his flank to create overloads down the flanks. I find doing this exposes the space that FBs, WBs or even IWBs leave behind when they move forward. It's useful to put the IF in the side where there is a WB; remember to focus passing down wherever your IF is!
- the Midfield trio is a straight, shameless copy of Blackhawk. Having no AM or Central Forwards in front of the midfield means that the BBMs and RPs have alot of space to flow into and score goals. Make sure your most creative B2B midfielder is on the SAME side as your IF! 

In a stronger team, I find its better do a midblock as the screenshots suggest. This was pretty good for ManU in my playthrough - take note this is default boring ass man u, with NO transfers made. I had to retrain the wingers to WMs though; almost everyone defaulted to IF. It takes awhile but once they get going it was really good. I also had to recall Sancho in January after a huge injury crisis, so take note of that. Managed to win the league with a couple games to spare; I've yet to finish this season but i mean this really is quite consistent and I enjoyed it, including some really good games including 4-1s victories over both City and Bayern.

image.thumb.png.298f79632b2285c3f53ac03874440fc3.png

image.thumb.png.f0e6a3ce3bc38a2326554fad62580623.png

image.thumb.png.cce393afffce025e984df20bd412d233.png

If you play as a weaker team, I find that you have to do a low block (low defensive line and closing down). I tried this with a no-signing Bournemouth; got into the last European place! (Note to anyone who wants to try this: I do not recommend a play through as Bournemouth without signing anyone. This play through required close attention to player rotations and injuries as there are just so few IFs in the team, and you really have to get the substitutions and team talks just right. 

image.thumb.png.d73dc194bbe89dc5e61a9445517dceb4.png

image.thumb.png.1b7467ddb6388de80d377b30ea30e7d1.png

I hope you try and enjoy this tactic as something a little different. This is by no means an "ultimate" tactic - I encourage everyone to tinker so it's just right for your team and let me know what your improvements were! I also would like to remind all players not to discount the stamina / condition of the player, as well as team talks / morale. These play a HUGE (I personally think, too big) a role in the game results! They can be difference between a 2 nil loss and a 3 nil win - its pretty crazy.

I would like to thank a few people whose work inspired me very much.

@Spurs23 and @Dam0 with their Yellow Pigeon and BeastMorpher tactics, that were the first consistent tactics that really got me into the game. Everything else i tried didn't quite work for me.

@DanEnglish for basically being FMMVibe's resident Pep. His park the bus tactic really inspired me; you could argue this is just parking the bus with an outlet to exploit space left behind by the modern fullback.

@blackhawk for inventing his game breaking midfield combination. It works well even after what I think were some nerfs in the updates.

That's all I have, as always, your mileage may vary but i hope this is something fun and different worth trying for you!

Have been meaning to comment on this ever since the same day it was originally posted ...

... I really like the concept behind this - it makes a LOT of sense and I can imagine it working really well in the match engine 🔥 it's very innovative and I'd have never have thought of it!

Thanks for sharing - great job

On 11/06/2024 at 23:12, DanEnglish said:

Have been meaning to comment on this ever since the same day it was originally posted ...

... I really like the concept behind this - it makes a LOT of sense and I can imagine it working really well in the match engine 🔥 it's very innovative and I'd have never have thought of it!

Thanks for sharing - great job

thank you @DanEnglish for your kind words! i greatly appreciate your long posts that go into details about the game, they really taught me the fundamentals. thanks for being such a great resource for newbies.

This tactic is rock solid and scores goals too! 

27 clean sheets and only 8 goals conceded all season. What I find works well is with 20 mins or so left of game, drop mentality to defensive to see out games if ahead. 

Screenshot_20240614_134738_FM24 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_134728_FM24 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_134629_FM24 Mobile.jpg

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jellis said:

This tactic is rock solid and scores goals too! 

27 clean sheets and only 8 goals conceded all season. What I find works well is with 20 mins or so left of game, drop mentality to defensive to see out games if ahead. 

Screenshot_20240614_134738_FM24 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_134728_FM24 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_134629_FM24 Mobile.jpg

Thank you for trying this out, am really glad it worked for you!

Yea the 414 midblock is really defensively solid and when the team moves forward, the formation sort of settles into a 2-2-5-1 which allows the team to stretch the pitch  and find gaps, so you dont lose out on goals. For sure it doesnt score as many goals as some of the more attacking formations but ultimately football is about scoring 1 more goal than your opponent and i think this has done the job for me so far. 

Edited by neutralstate
5 hours ago, neutralstate said:

Thank you for trying this out, am really glad it worked for you!

Yea the 414 midblock is really defensively solid and when the team moves forward, the formation sort of settles into a 2-2-5-1 which allows the team to stretch the pitch  and find gaps, so you dont lose out on goals. For sure it doesnt score as many goals as some of the more attacking formations but ultimately football is about scoring 1 more goal than your opponent and i think this has done the job for me so far. 

The wingers got a surprising amount of goals, they made the world best 11 squad which i dont normally get!

I think it gets a great balance of goals and clean sheets. What I like as well is against sides who play more defensive, you're still able to get the wins which is a sign of a great tactic, against better teams you get more chances as they play more open but the teams that shut up you can beat too.

Thank you for sharing this as I've been trying to work on a tactic which makes me solid at the back whilst winning games. 

1 hour ago, jellis said:

The wingers got a surprising amount of goals, they made the world best 11 squad which i dont normally get!

I think it gets a great balance of goals and clean sheets. What I like as well is against sides who play more defensive, you're still able to get the wins which is a sign of a great tactic, against better teams you get more chances as they play more open but the teams that shut up you can beat too.

Thank you for sharing this as I've been trying to work on a tactic which makes me solid at the back whilst winning games. 

glad this was helpful. enjoy!

This works!! On a journey man career, started of unknown, no badges! After getting sacked at my first club Bromley, I jumped around a few clubs using the pigeon formation! Southend, Dunfermline, Tranmere, Leicester (could be more in there) before going to Chelsea! Started using this formation and won the champions league and FA cup while losing league to Man City on last day of season. Next season did domestic treble and charity shield and lost in champions league semi finals. Best formation I've used in this edition 

11 hours ago, Madferit25 said:

This works!! On a journey man career, started of unknown, no badges! After getting sacked at my first club Bromley, I jumped around a few clubs using the pigeon formation! Southend, Dunfermline, Tranmere, Leicester (could be more in there) before going to Chelsea! Started using this formation and won the champions league and FA cup while losing league to Man City on last day of season. Next season did domestic treble and charity shield and lost in champions league semi finals. Best formation I've used in this edition 

i'm really happy this worked for you! it takes a while to get going because most teams only have IFs with only partial familiarity with the WM role and it takes time to retrain them but once that part is done the team will really start to get going and play better.

i just did a no-signings playthrough as Southport in the Vanarama League North using this formation. Somehow pipped the league leaders to the top spot on the final day after dropping as low as 8th at some point in time. Not bad for a club tipped for the bottom half of the table at the start of the season!

good luck, hope you win everything next season, it's definitely possible!

Edited by neutralstate