Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic The Universe

Saul

I don't get how they strike fear into even the most fearless. The only one I opened and felt dred was the first one and only because I was expecting something scary in the showers. Dissappointed.

Could you through the link to the study my way? Looks interesting.

I don't get how they strike fear into even the most fearless. The only one I opened and felt dred was the first one and only because I was expecting something scary in the showers. Dissappointed.

Could you through the link to the study my way? Looks interesting.

LMAO What was you expecting I wonder... And no I done spoilers cause some images were slightly to big and it made them smaller. Also if i can find the link again I shall send it your way

And Franco its not from South Park I dont think :lol:

Aha I just had a feeling it was from it, can't remember it fully but the babies in snail costumes just seems familiar from South Park so I thought it :lol:

Saul, your numbers appear contradictory and suggest that each galaxy is <2light years across...the milky way is 80iirc. Also, I feel your translation of Au's to miles is incorrect, else the Earth makes up a significant portion of the universes space, something I somehow doubt ;)

About 100 light years. I am a bit confused as to how my calculations suggest that each galaxy is less than 2 light years across.

About your earth comment, the only post I can see you referring to is where I said the earth was 3595 miles in circumference.

1 Au is 149.6x10^9 miles. a.k.a. the distance from the earth to the sun. In my post I say that the earth is 0.000000000000000000000023% of the universe.

Ahm, sorry, some maths errors on my behalf, however the idea that there are 1x1022 stars and the universe is 9x1023 miles across doesn't add up to me. Furthermore, you didn't take into account that that is the size of the known Universe ;)

Another amusing thing that should be mentioned is we are moving twice the speed of light from some distant galaxies, and that travel past the speed of light must have occurred at some point in history (to make up for its massive size in comparison to its rather "young" age).

Just my unresearched musing, I'm not in one of my universe moods as of now, like I was a few months back :P

The most well-known rule of Special Relativity states that nothing can travel through space faster than the speed of light. This rule has been verified by physicists time and time again and is now taken to be a scientific fact. There is, however, a loophole in that rule which emerges from the words "through space". Space itself can stretch, warp and do many strange things without violating this rule. If the space between two galaxies stretches then to each galaxy the other will appear to be moving away at some speed. However, this is not motion in the usual sense of the word.

So, the space between certain galaxies and us is stretching, then it can appear we are moving away faster than the speed of light.

[url=http://www.suite101.com/content/faster-than-light-expansion-of-the-universe-a149974#ixzz16zidqPIF]

Saul, these kind of discussions interest me, so take this seriously. Is there any way there's a set of rules we don't know about, that would throw ours out the window? And here's a useless one: What was the first thing to ever happen? I know scientists say the big bang, but what caused that? And what caused that (what I just said)? And... It goes on. And their must be an answer, as we wouldn't be here otherwise

People struggle to grasp the concept of effect with cause, since we are proud up with the fact that every action must have an equal reaction. This may be true within our known Universe.

But what about before the Big Bang? Since this was before the Universe, our laws don't apply to it. Meaning something could happen without a cause, but again, as I said it is almost impossibly for people to accept this.

I'm glad your interested in this subject, hope we can get a good discussion going and I am happy to answer any questions you have :)

Well my main question is what was the first thing to ever happen.

Also, if a speed faster than the current speed of light was obtainable, would light have a higher top speed?

Lastly, if it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light, and something somehow did, would the fabric of the Universe start to rip?

Ok, this really is the last one, what are your views on the afterlife?

Well my main question is what was the first thing to ever happen.

I take it you mean AFTER the Big Bang. The very first even to occur was the Planck Epoch. Up to 10–43 seconds after the Big Bang.

At the energy levels that prevailed during the Planck epoch the four fundamental forces—electromagnetism, gravitation, weak nuclear interaction, and strong nuclear interaction—may all have the same strength, so they are possibly unified in one fundamental force. Little is known about this epoch, and different theories propose different scenarios. General relativitygravitational singularity before this time, but under these conditions the theory is expected to break down due to quantum effects. Physicists hope that proposed theories of quantum gravitation, such as string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal sets, will eventually lead to a better understanding of this epoch.

Also, if a speed faster than the current speed of light was obtainable, would light have a higher top speed?

Light wouldn't be visable. You would see nothing if you were travelling faster than the speed of light.

Lastly, if it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light, and something somehow did, would the fabric of the Universe start to rip?

There is a hypothetical subatomic particle called a Tachyon which is supposed to move faster than the speed of light. If this exists, then the answer is no. If this does not exist, all I can simply say is I don't know, all we can do is theorize.

Ok, this really is the last one, what are your views on the afterlife?

Personally I am a Temporal Agnostic. meaning I do not believe in God and do not, not believe in God. I am always open-minded and willing to listen to both sides of the arguement.

That was the most confusing thing I ever read :P I'm Googling your stuff now :)

EDIT: Hurray it's Wikied, nice one :D

Quantum electrodynamics describes how light and matter interact

How do light and matter interact? I thought they didn't?

What's the highest/lowest temperature achievable?

And I meant, what was the first thing to ever happen EVER? If you don't know, say what you think

That was the most confusing thing I ever read :P I'm Googling your stuff now :)

EDIT: Hurray it's Wikied, nice one :D

Quantum electrodynamics describes how light and matter interact

How do light and matter interact? I thought they didn't?

To put it simply: Through four processes. Emission, transmission, absorption, and reflection.

What's the highest/lowest temperature achievable?

1.41678571e32 Kelvin/1.41678571e32 Celsius/2.55021428e32 Fahrenheit = Highest

Absolute zero; −273.15 degrees Celsius, or −459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. It is also called 0 degree Kelvin = Lowest

And I meant, what was the first thing to ever happen EVER? If you don't know, say what you think

The Planck Epoch was the first thing to happen. Even if it lasted for 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000010 seconds (I may be a zero out, cba counting them back, forgive me if it's wrong, you get my drift).

If you mean, what do I think caused the Big Bang? Our current understanding of physics does not extend all the way back to the Big Bang---it only starts a fraction of a second afterwards (beginning with the Planck Epoch). The way I see it there was an empty, zero-energy field, then after a very long time, there was a spontaneous Big Bang as a result of quantum fluctuations.

http://en.wikipedia....ro-point_energy

Read through that article.]

Edit: On the vacuum topic: There are three types of vacuum - perfect (in which nothing but space exists), classical (contains few atoms and molecules) and quantum (which contains few atoms and molecules but has a lot of virtual particles that constantly form and disappear).

Is there any websites that explain it to the idiots, like me? What type of vacuum do you think was before the big bang? I'm guessing not the totally empty one, as what would have caused the big bang?

People struggle to grasp the concept of effect with cause, since we are proud up with the fact that every action must have an equal reaction. This may be true within our known Universe.

But what about before the Big Bang? Since this was before the Universe, our laws don't apply to it. Meaning something could happen without a cause, but again, as I said it is almost impossibly for people to accept this.

I'm glad your interested in this subject, hope we can get a good discussion going and I am happy to answer any questions you have :)

If we believe what Hume said, then we can't be sure that causality even exists. And I think he has a point there. It's not bacause we see a buss go past the buss stop that this will happen everyday again...

So theres a dimension filled with hot girls with double Ds, where the German girls won the war and are eating german sausages all day. Cool