Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

56 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Tbf from reading the statements since I think Klopp's line or take about sending the reverse for the second leg is a dig. The replay is scheduled in the "winter break" in which the PL have basically said it has to be used as a break and not an excuse to schedule a money making friendly, which is fair and it's unfortunate it would even need saying. So one organisation is saying take a break you need it which they do while the other is now forcing games into that break after already forcing games straight after the hectic Xmas season. 

We've already been screwed by poor scheduling this season in the league cup and I'll be disappointed if we risk a trophy to make a dig, however the lads do need a break, the winter break should be a good thing physically and mentally but to force a replay into that break is stupid and arguably unfair as it gives advantages/disadvantages. Granted it's our own fault for playing a weakened side and rolling the dice but wtf should teams be "punished" for drawing a match. 

I'll be massively disappointed if we don't play a similar strength team to what we played yesterday, tbh I'd likely even go a tad stronger. 

I don’t know why the replay can’t be played say next weekend instead of the league games. Shrewsbury probably have an equally tough schedule with having more league games but I’m sure they’ll find a date for one more at some point this season. It seems to be assumed that we are going to go to the final of every competition but say we don’t and get knocked out of the Champions League in the next round then there’ll be plenty of dates available to catch up the league game. If not then guess we’d just have to have a mad week at some point and play every other day which has happened in the past and even in the days of tiny squads.

Don’t expect it’ll get moved but I can’t say I won’t be pissed off if we play a whole team of kids and take a hiding. It’d be no good for anyone as far as I can see least of all Shrewsbury. No one is asking him to play VVD or the font three but just a respectable team with a few seniors that more than likely would want the time on the pitch.

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

You have completely missed my point and argued my point back at me.

Fair enough but I enjoyed writing my little rant and I picked up on a few words to give myself the ammunition  :D

I wouldn’t be adverse to replays being scrapped from the third round onwards for example as even for a club like Oxford we could have done without the extra game we now have despite the financial rewards of a full stadium because wesimply don’t have the resources in our squad to compete on all fronts.

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Tbf from reading the statements since I think Klopp's line or take about sending the reverse for the second leg is a dig. The replay is scheduled in the "winter break" in which the PL have basically said it has to be used as a break and not an excuse to schedule a money making friendly, which is fair and it's unfortunate it would even need saying. So one organisation is saying take a break you need it which they do while the other is now forcing games into that break after already forcing games straight after the hectic Xmas season. 

We've already been screwed by poor scheduling this season in the league cup and I'll be disappointed if we risk a trophy to make a dig, however the lads do need a break, the winter break should be a good thing physically and mentally but to force a replay into that break is stupid and arguably unfair as it gives advantages/disadvantages. Granted it's our own fault for playing a weakened side and rolling the dice but wtf should teams be "punished" for drawing a match. 

I'll be massively disappointed if we don't play a similar strength team to what we played yesterday, tbh I'd likely even go a tad stronger. 

Its strange scheduling by the FA to put the replays in the middle of the break but I can’t see how you are being “punished” for drawing a match. If Klopp and your players had shown Shrewsbury a bit more respect you would have won the match easily and not been in the situation of needing to play another match.

37 minutes ago, Foxy said:

I wouldn’t be adverse to replays being scrapped from the third round onwards

That just brings financial issues though, as Rob said half the small clubs want the payday. Sure some fans will be hyped to go to Anfield but just as many will just see pound signs. Like in France they did it all lower league teams are at home in the early rounds, sounds a good idea yet those clubs here want the payday of going to a PL ground. 

40 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Shrewsbury a bit more respect you would have won the match

Or if the referee could do his job :p. 

I'm sure Tranmere are delighted United "respected" them. I'm sure they're feeling the magic of the cup right now.  

44 minutes ago, Foxy said:

won the match easily and not been in the situation of needing to play another match.

That's all ifs and buts, even a strong side can be done by a referee making two massive blunders at pivotal times of the match. Sure a stronger side stacks the odds but if they don't get gifted the first who says they get a second. End of the day it was a World Cup finalist defender that shit the bed to allow them to equalise. 

They didn’t show Shrewsbury any respect at all, it was obvious to see the players Liverpool put out were arrogant and selfish (no surprise there) playing for themselves and trying to impress Klopp. There was only one team playing as a collective unit in that game and they thoroughly deserved a replay.

Klopp has proven with his post match rant that he has absolutely no class, respect or regard for the English game, just as long as he can spend his millions every transfer window and play up every time the cameras are on him he’s more than happy.

Replays should be scrapped 😂 Maybe if these “mighty” clubs that are affected by it played a stronger team in the initial tie there wouldn’t be any need for a replay. Why should clubs like Liverpool be rewarded for taking the piss out of a club 2 divisions below?

On 23/01/2020 at 01:55, BatiGoal said:

I can't have yet another season of this garbage display. If next season shows no improvement I'm f#$& changing teams. Maybe Sunderland. 

:D :D it's just beautiful to see Man Utd fans confronting the reality of football fandom. 

as for the Cup... if the replay was gonna cause such an issue, why not just turn around and bang one in your own net rather than take the draw? have the cake and eat it, it seems...

otherwise, i don't like this line of "we need replays for the payday" - surely that goes to show that the money should just be redistributed more fairly, instead?

we got some flak for making 11 changes for our Saturday TV match. but really, the cup these days is obligatory, you bumble around and see what happens, and if you happen to make it to the last eight maybe you take it seriously then? it's a pity but there's not much that can be done now.

don't see the point in the League Cup myself.

don't see much wrong in what Klopp said (got a lot of time for him), but interesting to see that of course, "give him an inch and he'll take a mile" - as soon as the Pandora's Box of "it's acceptable for you to play a whole different team and use a different manager in the League Cup quarter-final" was opened, then why not do the same for the FAC4R? and if they can why can't the other Prem clubs facing replays? slippery slope. all avoidable and i don't really think it's Liverpool's fault...

5 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

otherwise, i don't like this line of "we need replays for the payday" - surely that goes to show that the money should just be redistributed more fairly, instead?

we got some flak for making 11 changes for our Saturday TV match. but really, the cup these days is obligatory, you bumble around and see what happens, and if you happen to make it to the last eight maybe you take it seriously then? it's a pity but there's not much that can be done now.

Agree on both points. We had the whole Man U not competing thing years which seemed to be the FA wanting them to go to the club World Cup to help them with their World Cup bid so about money at the end of day. For me though the FA Cup started its mega decline when the decision was made to play the semi finals at Wembley, a truly horrible idea imo. I’ve changed my opinion from the other day and Klopp can pick whatever team he wants as far as I’m concerned. The media will love it as they’ll get plenty of miles out of it during this winter break thing.

so true (about Wembley). my dad was a Palace fan and the 4-3 game at Villa Park (plus Oldham-Man Utd 2-3 on the same day), having been beaten 9-0 earlier in the season, was so special. not the same these days :(

btw for the League Cup, i would change or merge it with the LDV or whatever the hell it's called now, the "Leasing.com Trophy"?! but just make it a competition for the football league clubs...

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

seemed to be the FA wanting them to go to the club World Cup to help them with their World Cup bid so about money at the end of day

Yet we aren't allowed to wear the badge, even though we went representing the PL and you know they'll bank and having the world champions. 

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

semi finals at Wembley

I agree but it also meant I was able to see LFC at Wembley, even if we lost to Villa. I've seen Shrewsbury and LFC at Wembley 3/4 times yet I've never seen my team win 😭

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

Klopp can pick whatever team he wants

It's petty and I see the point he's trying to force, I even agree with the point. However risking a trophy, or a double or a triple to make a point makes me uneasy. We're finally back and we should be grabbing every opportunity with both hands. 

The Chelsea draw does make it less appealing though, I'm not saying we can't beat them but if we maintain with a fringe side the odds are more against us. A favourable draw who knows we could have taken it seriously in the next round when the leagues won 😂

If we get passed Town or win the CL (+ PL) it's worth it, if we don't it's a gutting waste. Apart from the kids developing obviously. Just throwing the LC and now potentially the FA Cup pisses me off. 

However I've just read Liverpool dropped the ticket prices from the originally agreed price for Town fans after Klopp saying the first team won't be there. 

14 minutes ago, Ian said:

The media will love it as they’ll get plenty of miles out of it during this winter break thing

The winter break is just staggered so footy isn't going away. The fact we play tonight, weekend, Shrewsbury (still not dated :@) and the CL returning mean we're busy lol. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

as soon as the Pandora's Box of "it's acceptable for you to play a whole different team and use a different manager in the League Cup quarter-final" was opened, then why not do the same for the FAC4R? and if they can why can't the other Prem clubs facing replays? slippery slope. all avoidable and i don't really think it's Liverpool's fault...

Just trying to force change, replays are daft in early rounds of cups. 

4 hours ago, Ashez said:

when the leagues won 😂

I keep creating new targets for when I’ll believe we’ve won it. I’ve had ‘if we get though December with a good lead, it’s done’, ‘if we get through the early new year fixtures ok, it’s done’, now I’m, if we win tonight and then beat Southampton on the weekend, it’s done’. Probably be another target after that as it’ll probably need to be done mathematically before I go ‘all in’.

30 years I’ve waited for this and just winning that alone would do me fine and contrary to popular belief we’ve took a lot of stick over the years so if we do win it and become a touch ‘unbearable’ then people will just have to suck it up for a while. 

27 minutes ago, Ian said:

I keep creating new targets for when I’ll believe we’ve won it. I’ve had ‘if we get though December with a good lead, it’s done’, ‘if we get through the early new year fixtures ok, it’s done’, now I’m, if we win tonight and then beat Southampton on the weekend, it’s done’. Probably be another target after that as it’ll probably need to be done mathematically before I go ‘all in’.

The Wolves game was the moment for me, I was sure we were dropping points there! The emotion after beating City, a tough game Wolves battered us in all made me think we'd rock but Bobby is Bobby. The second that went in leaving us needing what 9 wins is it now? Hopefully 8 after tonight?!! I don't even remember 😂

I don't think we'll go undefeated though, I do think we'll make it harder than we should do and tonight is a pretty big banana skin imo. I see us being lacklustre tonight but hopefully we do enough. 

I was like you and thinking I wasn't ever going to believe it's ours but it was getting to the point I felt stupid thinking it wasn't over 😂. If we screw this up we're never winning it!! 

I will say though we're where we are as City shit the bed which was unthinkable a few months back, if it can happen to them it can happen to us. A VVD knock and I'm wincing tbf. 

We played alot better than I expected today, West Ham were shit but we actually played okay instead of being sluggish. 

We could be 22 points clear by time City play @Ian! Belieeeeeve!

United 😂😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, Ashez said:

We played alot better than I expected today, West Ham were shit but we actually played okay instead of being sluggish. 

United 😂😂😂😂

Yes win on Saturday and I’ll join the party. Just been looking at the league table and it’s fantasy stuff really. 70 points from a possible 72 and only conceded 15 goals which after all the talk at the beginning about how we supposedly couldn’t keep a clean sheet is truly remarkable. I can’t take it in quite frankly, it’s incredibly therapeutic just loading the table up and staring at it in awe for like ten minutes 😂

28 minutes ago, Ashez said:

United 😂😂😂😂

You’ll still be 22 points clear on sunday evening.

Please can someone take me seriously when I say Spurs will beat City? Thank you very much 😅

28 minutes ago, Rob said:

Please can someone take me seriously when I say Spurs will beat City? Thank you very much 😅

I believe you 😂 but then again we just nicked your left back. 

Danny Rose at Toon, who'd of thought! 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

conceded 15 goals

Alisson is now joint top with 8 clean sheets, he missed the start of the season ffs! He's incredible and makes the tough look routine! Yet @samhardydoesn't rare him!!

1 hour ago, Ian said:

couldn’t keep a clean sheet is truly remarkable

Gomez mate, he's back to his best and with VVD they're elite! 

49 minutes ago, Rob said:

Now that would be awesome!

21 minutes ago, Woody said:

Danny Rose at Toon, who'd of thought! 

He's shit 😛

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Just been looking at the league table and it’s fantasy stuff really. 70 points from a possible 72 and only conceded 15 goals

When will I wake up from this horrific dream? WHEN!!?? 

28 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Alisson is now joint top with 8 clean sheets, he missed the start of the season ffs! He's incredible and makes the tough look routine! Yet @samhardydoesn't rare him!!

Gomez mate, he's back to his best and with VVD they're elite! 

Now that would be awesome!

He's shit 😛

But better than what we have in reserve. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

Er @Foxy Foxy... Sounds like we might be getting both Baptiste and Thingy-Fosu. Should I be apologising? 

You are getting a couple of good players especially Baptiste although apparently we have accepted bids from more than one club for him with Celtic being mentioned as well.

13 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Just £3M for both of them :O

Not according to KR although it will be “undisclosed” in the end.

U’s boss Karl Robinson told the Oxford Mail talk of £3million for the pair was wide of the mark, but the real figure was simply at a level they could not ignore.

First half had me worried it would be "one of those days" as Alisson kept us in it (leading Golden Glove playing 8 games less btw) but we were ace second half. 

Now you lot best do your part 😂

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

You Liverpool boys any more relaxed after that?

I’m “all in” now but holding off on the big celebrations until it’s done.

I hope you win tomorrow as it’ll bring it closer mathematically but they don’t look like going on a long winning run anyway and I can see 85-86 points being enough which even the most doubtful version of myself can see us getting easily.