Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

7 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

Liverpool ‘buying’ the title because they have kept their squad together (no big sales) and have strengthened buying two key (expensive players). 

Surely every team buys the title as I don’t think you’ll find many teams to win it without making any transfers. It just so happens we look like we are going to do it whilst spending well within our means. 

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Surely every team buys the title as I don’t think you’ll find many teams to win it without making any transfers. It just so happens we look like we are going to do it whilst spending well within our means. 

I think you missed my point. 

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Ok maybe I am a bit dim so what exactly is your point?

The point is set periods in time can muddy the waters. 

Here’s another example

The last full season played 2018/2019

Liverpool sold £33.5m worth of players

Liverpool bought £170.5m (this does not include vvd who came 6 months earlier. 

Net spend that season was £137m. They won the Champions League. 

This is Anfield website used for those numbers  

Man City in the same period 

Sold £70m of players

Bought £63m (this includes Mahrez)

So made a £7m profit that year and won 3 domestic cups.

Figures taken from Wiki

That period of time can only be looked at one way by any person reading those facts . City had more bang for their buck  

Now, Liverpool fans will rightly want to stretch the timescales back to sales of Coutinho and point out ‘money in the bank’  

However why stop their, this whole thing could be stretched out to the beginning of the Premiership itself, tot up all the net spend by each club and divide it by the number of Premiership titles one. 

That obviously sounds bonkers which goes back to my first point, finances should not be used to argue points, why is it ok for one team to choose  the time period that success is judged against. Surely it has to go back to the very start of the competition or it shouldn’t be factored in at all ( I vote the second one).

The sale of coutinho was the same window as VVD so it’s kind of relevant and my last reply actually sums it up quite well. All teams try to get things right off the pitch and if they do then hope they can sustain it. I’ll just hope we can continue to do so. Maybe we will, maybe we won’t but I’ll just enjoy the now as a fan and leave all of that to the club.

bless you all ;)

from here, the only thing that can stop Liverpool would be one of the most epic collapses ever. and who doesn't want to see that?! only Liverpool fans. c'mon lads, it's clear what we're rooting for ;)

otherwise, many thanks @samhardy and @Foxy for your input last week, which i shared but did not acknowledge at the time due to consuming numerous alcoholic beverages (boss's leaving do). Baptiste sounds like a great signing and a decent price, while Fosu sounds a bit meh but we've been playing an 18yo Czech kid there at times and lord knows that shit had to stop, so hopefully he adds that bit of depth at least...

and the bees were back in business on Saturday, smashing Hull 5-1 despite one of the worst keeper howlers you'll ever see:

fortunately we scored five so it didn't matter, and Raya's been superb for us this season so no worries, these things happen, hopefully he'll learn from it and not do it in a big game!!

12 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

bless you all ;)

from here, the only thing that can stop Liverpool would be one of the most epic collapses ever. and who doesn't want to see that?! only Liverpool fans. c'mon lads, it's clear what we're rooting for ;)

otherwise, many thanks @samhardy and @Foxy for your input last week, which i shared but did not acknowledge at the time due to consuming numerous alcoholic beverages (boss's leaving do). Baptiste sounds like a great signing and a decent price, while Fosu sounds a bit meh but we've been playing an 18yo Czech kid there at times and lord knows that shit had to stop, so hopefully he adds that bit of depth at least...

and the bees were back in business on Saturday, smashing Hull 5-1 despite one of the worst keeper howlers you'll ever see:

fortunately we scored five so it didn't matter, and Raya's been superb for us this season so no worries, these things happen, hopefully he'll learn from it and not do it in a big game!!

That is bad, I guess its actually a 45 yard goal from Hull!

4 hours ago, Mr Tree said:

bless you all ;)

It’s good, but it’s no Santiago Vergini:

So we might have got beaten in the end but what a team we are. They couldn’t have put more into that game and at 2-0 they could have given up but in the 2nd half and most of extra time you wouldn’t have known which team was in the PL tbh.

For how good the winning goal was you can see why Newcastle don’t score many.

3 minutes ago, Foxy said:

So we might have got beaten in the end but what a team we are. They couldn’t have put more into that game and at 2-0 they could have given up but in the 2nd half and most of extra time you wouldn’t have known which team was in the PL tbh.

For how good the winning goal was you can see why Newcastle don’t score many.

Oxford deserved to go through on that 2nd half performance. 

How you can sit so far back against lower league opposition (no disrespect) is beyond me, Bruce is a fucking muppet. Oxford deserve massive kudos tonight and its a shame they didnt go through. 

Sometime i wish i supported someone else! 

Only watched the first half due to work and all I can say is the kids did us proud! Apparently Town improved in the second half but from the first half showing they were embarrassing tbh, they played the occasion and not the match. Liverpool played a team of kids yet they stayed camped in their own half, especially after they discovered they couldn't bully the kids. I actually thought Shrewsbury would give them a game and they simply didn't. 

Admittedly it looks like we got fortunate with their disallowed goal as it's tight as but let's not forget the replay only happened as they won a penalty from the half way line. They also didn't manage a shot on target either and sure these kids are talented but they aren't experienced, allowing them to run the game is just poor. May be I am naive but I spoke to my mate who was at the match and is a big town fan and he was disappointed in the performance. 

Tbh I would feel sorry for Town, at one point I was likely rooting for them more but the fact the story has been the money side of things has pissed me off. Moaning how Klopp not turning up and sending the kids cost them money? Fuck off you're there for the occasion not the cash. Let's not forget if they actually tried to play yesterday odds are they beat us and get another big pay day at Stamford Bridge. It just rubbed me the wrong way tbh. 

Losing actually makes Klopp's point, grabbing the win goes against his statement as the kids showed they're good enough, either way though I hope his stance will lead to change. Refusing TV coverage of the game and screwing us with two shit domestic cup fixtures Klopp has every right to make a point. Should be have turned up and managed the kids? Maybe that's fair but in truth the reserve team coach will know the players better so he's better suited, and perhaps Klopp needs a mental and physical break to? He can hug the lads in private and reward a few against Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Only watched the first half due to work and all I can say is the kids did us proud! Apparently Town improved in the second half but from the first half showing they were embarrassing tbh, they played the occasion and not the match. Liverpool played a team of kids yet they stayed camped in their own half, especially after they discovered they couldn't bully the kids. I actually thought Shrewsbury would give them a game and they simply didn't. 

Admittedly it looks like we got fortunate with their disallowed goal as it's tight as but let's not forget the replay only happened as they won a penalty from the half way line. They also didn't manage a shot on target either and sure these kids are talented but they aren't experienced, allowing them to run the game is just poor. May be I am naive but I spoke to my mate who was at the match and is a big town fan and he was disappointed in the performance. 

Tbh I would feel sorry for Town, at one point I was likely rooting for them more but the fact the story has been the money side of things has pissed me off. Moaning how Klopp not turning up and sending the kids cost them money? Fuck off you're there for the occasion not the cash. Let's not forget if they actually tried to play yesterday odds are they beat us and get another big pay day at Stamford Bridge. It just rubbed me the wrong way tbh. 

Losing actually makes Klopp's point, grabbing the win goes against his statement as the kids showed they're good enough, either way though I hope his stance will lead to change. Refusing TV coverage of the game and screwing us with two shit domestic cup fixtures Klopp has every right to make a point. Should be have turned up and managed the kids? Maybe that's fair but in truth the reserve team coach will know the players better so he's better suited, and perhaps Klopp needs a mental and physical break to? He can hug the lads in private and reward a few against Chelsea. 

I disagree with pretty much every word written here.

1) You are going on as if Liverpool fielded a team of kids who have been pulled in off the street, one Liverpool defender alone last night cost more than the entire Shrewsbury squad and the Liverpool youngsters have access to facilities and coaching that most of the Shrewsbury players will never have in their careers.

2) Whether the correct decision was got to in regards to the disallowed goal is irrelevant, VAR wasn’t used in the first leg so shouldn’t be used in the second just because the game was at a Premier League ground. It might have been a poor Shrewsbury performance by all means but they should have been 1-0 up.

3) The cash is equally if not more important than the occasion for the club as a whole.

4) What difference does the result of the match have on how disrespectful Klopp is or has been? The issue isn’t who played, the fact of the matter is that it’s a SENIOR fixture, the manager has to be there regardless of who he decides to play.

The biggest kick in the teeth for the players is that let’s be honest it’s highly unlikely a lot of them will ever play for the club again and their only ever appearance for Liverpool was because their manager was “making a point”.

Last night played a big role in killing the FA Cup even further.

The money argument from their manager this week pissed me off too if I’m honest. Talking about how they’re going to lose £500k from us fielding a weakened team. The whole reason why prem teams are not taking the cup seriously is due to money so that argument doesn’t sit well with me. The team we picked turned out not to be so weak after all and I’m surprised there’s not more talk about that in regards to romance of the cup as we’ve seen a team largely made up of kids beat Everton and then Shrewsbury. The stadium was almost full and yes the ticket prices were reduced but not sure how that’s such a bad thing in the current climate.

Anyway, it’s done for me and it’s going to be difficult for the media to run with this much longer which is unfortunate for them but I’m sure they’ll find something else to debate. 

3 hours ago, samhardy said:

one Liverpool defender alone l

We had kids, they had a Euro semi finalist 😂

They're professional footballers at the end of the day. 

VAR wasn’t used in the first leg so shouldn’t be used in the second

This I agree with. 

If it was used in the first leg we win and this leg doesn't happen. If it wasn't used in both maybe they win 1-0. Blame the organisers of making a mockery of the competition. 

The cash is equally if not more important than the occasion for the club as a whole.

Magic of the cup 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Like a said a decent performance and they'd have got a Chelsea payday. 

the manager has to be there regardless of who he decides to play.

Isn't football about the players and not the manager? Who cares who's in the dugout? Surely if the kids are playing the manager who sees them week in week out should be in charge?

The biggest kick in the teeth for the players is that let’s be honest it’s highly unlikely a lot of them will ever play for the club again and their only ever appearance for Liverpool was because their manager was “making a point”.

Even if that's true isn't that the point? So you'd rather kids never get a chance? 😛

2 hours ago, Ian said:

The money argument from their manager this week pissed me off too if I’m honest. Talking about how they’re going to lose £500k from us fielding a weakened team. The whole reason why prem teams are not taking the cup seriously is due to money so that argument doesn’t sit well with me. The team we picked turned out not to be so weak after all and I’m surprised there’s not more talk about that in regards to romance of the cup as we’ve seen a team largely made up of kids beat Everton and then Shrewsbury. The stadium was almost full and yes the ticket prices were reduced but not sure how that’s such a bad thing in the current climate.

Anyway, it’s done for me and it’s going to be difficult for the media to run with this much longer which is unfortunate for them but I’m sure they’ll find something else to debate. 

Exactly! They've got this opportunity because we played a weakened team, they had the opportunity to beat us because we were playing an even weaker team but instead of focusing on the match it was all about the money. Would they rather an extra £500k and our first team turns them into mince meat ffs? They were scared of Williams, Jones and Elliot, never mind Trent, Keita and Mane 😂

Unfortunately they were indeed offside as it was in the build up as opposed to the initial shot.

6A806F6E-3793-401C-8F8A-D72602577F34.thumb.jpeg.bb072cfc0cdb1290d40cd8eb090b6cbb.jpeg

Mr Ricketts has also queried how far back you should look back on incidents and used VVD supposedly being allowed to handle the ball in the build up to our goal against Wolves over a month ago as an example. This was the one where there was a picture doing the rounds which appeared to show VVD handling the ball yet the video clearly showed he didn’t.

Sour grapes of the highest order.

@Ian the issue isn’t whether the decision was correct or not, that’s irrelevant. What is wrong is the fact that VAR was used in the replay full stop since it wasn’t in the initial tie. It’s the same round between the same two teams so if you’re not using it first time you don’t use it second time.

Therefore for me the Shrewsbury goal should have stood.

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

We had kids, they had a Euro semi finalist 😂

They're professional footballers at the end of the day. 

Liverpool were still odds on favourites to win the match after the lineups were announced. There was more talent in the Liverpool lineup than in Shrewsbury’s. That Van den Berg or whatever cost more than double Shrewsbury’s entire match day squad.

The fact that anyone considers the result of the match a surprise is wrong imo.

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Isn't football about the players and not the manager? Who cares who's in the dugout? Surely if the kids are playing the manager who sees them week in week out should be in charge?

No, why should it? The FA Cup is a senior cup competition. Youngsters occasionally turn out for the senior sides but never the manager ffs. The youth team manager takes charge of youth team fixtures. Klopp should have been there.

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Even if that's true isn't that the point? So you'd rather kids never get a chance? 😛

I couldn’t care less tbh, as I’ve said there was nothing wrong with the team selection, it’s purely how arrogant and disrespectful the manager is that annoys me.

@Ian the issue isn’t whether the decision was correct or not, that’s irrelevant. What is wrong is the fact that VAR was used in the replay full stop since it wasn’t in the initial tie. It’s the same round between the same two teams so if you’re not using it first time you don’t use it second time.

I agree and I would’ve argued for that to be the case but the FA decided to use it in all premier league grounds so can’t go back on that now.