Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

The whole National League system has confirmed their intention to declare the season null and void

The likelihood of PL + EFL null and void just increased. Preparing for Accrington away again*!!

* Not that we are going up anyway.

It’s interesting that Mike Ashley has been vilified over the last few years because of his unsavoury business practices but the Saudi royal family are going to be welcomed like hero’s 🤔

That's quite a big deal. I know Holland had already voided theirs, but it's the first of the 'big 5' so to speak. 

Can only see the others, us, Spain, Italy following suit. 

Germany have said theirs will restart soon I think? 

5 hours ago, Foxy said:

It must only be a matter of time before the same happens over here.

That should happen everywhere, there are no conditions to play, the problem is that people only see money, the right decision is to end the seasons everywhere. I miss football we all miss but health comes first.football only next year

18 minutes ago, Belhote said:

That should happen everywhere, there are no conditions to play, the problem is that people only see money, the right decision is to end the seasons everywhere. I miss football we all miss but health comes first.football only next year

Unfortunately I tend to agree as any flare up of the virus will just mean it has to stop again.

It looks like all seasons will be declared null and void with perhaps only European places decided by this seasons league table or at least that’s what they have done in Holland.

To me though I don’t see why all the hard work and effort both by clubs and fans to support there clubs of the season not yet finished has to be wiped out in order to start something new. Personally I think this season should be finished whenever that is possible and then next season scrapped or reduced but then I support a team in the hunt for promotion so I would say that.

2 minutes ago, Foxy said:

To me though I don’t see why all the hard work and effort both by clubs and fans to support there clubs of the season not yet finished has to be wiped out in order to start something new. Personally I think this season should be finished whenever that is possible and then next season scrapped or reduced but then I support a team in the hunt for promotion so I would say that.

This 100%, why is a season that doesn't exist yet more important than one 80% complete. The focus on next season is infuriating me as we can wait for next season as long as it takes, it's not started yet. Yeah I'm emotionally invested in the outcome but this is more than LFCs title, it's about the integrity of the competition. 

I can see them scraping this season, then come start next season one player gets it, especially if a new form appears in the winter then that season is null and void too. We're risking two for what? 

Personally I think the season should be null and void. The results from the previous season should carried forward and the same teams entered in to the same European competitions. Spurs will, therefore, remain the second best team in Europe, which is only down to a dodgy early penalty gifted to Liverpool.

I don’t really - I agree with the Fox. This season should continue as soon as possible, and then it’s the following seasons that then need realigning. Liverpool deserve to win the league, so let them win it fairly, and then move on. I just feel sorry for them that it’ll likely be in an empty stadium with no bus parade, which isn’t what they deserve as they’ve been fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

Personally I think the season should be null and void. The results from the previous season should carried forward and the same teams entered in to the same European competitions. Spurs will, therefore, remain the second best team in Europe, which is only down to a dodgy early penalty gifted to Liverpool.

I don’t really - I agree with the Fox. This season should continue as soon as possible, and then it’s the following seasons that then need realigning. Liverpool deserve to win the league, so let them win it fairly, and then move on. I just feel sorry for them that it’ll likely be in an empty stadium with no bus parade, which isn’t what they deserve as they’ve been fantastic.

Yeah Liverpool deserves the title with celebrations with their supporters but I guess life isn't fair at all, this kind of stuff(virus) is a lot bigger than football and than us I guess so end the season start again next year, we are humans we can't think that football can return in the middle of this mess this isn't over will take time. We are going to play again and everything will be fine. Doesn't work like that unfortunately. It's sad but football can not return for now. But we have to think that more sad is the life's we are losing everyday. Let's see what happens 

57 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I can see them scraping this season, then come start next season one player gets it, especially if a new form appears in the winter then that season is null and void too. We're risking two for what?

This is what people seem to be overlooking. It’s highly unlikely we’ll have a vaccine for a year at least and more than likely won’t have any or at least not full crowds well into next season and how watchable that’s going to be on tv is another thing we don’t really know.

As a Liverpool fan I just can’t accept a void unless it’s a full void with no European representation next season which doesn’t seem likely as UEFA have confirmed the places will be awarded on this seasons results. We are going to be totally screwed over if they award European places based on PPG but don’t award us the title as we are the only team mathematically qualified for CL. Honestly it’s highly likely I’ll be done with the game in that case, I’ll still follow our results but I won’t be able to get all invested in it at least for a few years anyway.

We can’t celebrate goals properly now incase they get overturned and now we won’t be able to celebrate results as they could easily end up not counting especially next season as it’ll still be uncertain at best. Imagine if we ran into another lead and had to bin it off again. It’s entertainment at the end of the day so I have to draw the line somewhere 😂

Edited by Ian
2 minutes ago, Belhote said:

Yeah Liverpool deserves the title with celebrations with their supporters but I guess life isn't fair at all, this kind of stuff(virus) is a lot bigger than football and than us I guess so end the season start again next year, we are humans we can't think that football can return in the middle of this mess this isn't over will take time. We are going to play again and everything will be fine. Doesn't work like that unfortunately. It's sad but football can not return for now. But we have to think that more sad is the life's we are losing everyday. Let's see what happens 

Read my post before trying to condescend me. At no point do I say football should return immediately. I say it should just pick up where it left off when it does return. Now kindly sod off and don’t quote me again.

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

just feel sorry for them that it’ll likely be in an empty stadium with no bus parade, which isn’t what they deserve as they’ve been fantastic.

The biggest problem is that will happen if football returns.

Any club that is going to win something the fans will congregate somewhere when it is happening just as the PSG fans did for the Dortmund game and then you have a massive risk of infection as we have potentially seen with the 3k Atletico fans that went to Anfield just before lockdown.

I think the English Season will finish behind closed doors, as money talks, Sky/BT pay too much to finish the season early they will won't to show these games, the Govt will agree as it can't resist big business, but I don't think it is right  thing to do.

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

Read my post before trying to condescend me. At no point do I say football should return immediately. I say it should just pick up where it left off when it does return. Now kindly sod off and don’t quote me again.

You're the one who's saying that I tried do condescend you, just gave my opinion if that offended you it's your problem not mine. Take care

1 minute ago, Foxy said:

Any club that is going to win something the fans will congregate somewhere when it is happening just as the PSG fans did for the Dortmund game and then you have a massive risk of infection as we have potentially seen with the 3k Atletico fans that went to Anfield just before lockdown.

Yeah that’s something I’ve been thinking about as you’d never stop the celebrations. I honestly can’t see us finishing it now as they’ll want to draw a line under it and prepare for next season. I am fine with it now after being broken hearted initially as I’ve cleared it all in my head. 

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

I’ve been getting sick of this idea that you somehow aren’t allowed to talk about football and if you do you’re being insensitive. As you say no one is saying to play when it’s not safe and as I said above it’s all uncertain about when we will be safe to play again so any new season won’t be at all guaranteed to run smoothly. 

This idea that you can just bin the season off and start a new one in September might be the best plan but it’s a risky one as you could easily end up with two unfinished seasons.

I see all points in, being a season ticket holder with leeds I say that the standings where there are at this point, should say right, top 3 get promoted from each league etc, I've been waiting nearly 18 years for promotion back to the big land, not fair 1 bit if they scrap it all, complete bollocks if they do that 

10 hours ago, Foxy said:

The biggest problem is that will happen if football returns.

Watch them scrap this season then demand a LFC vs City Charity Shield! 😂

I just don't see the rush for next season when there is no guarantee it'll even happen or last, risking two is just daft. Especially European football, that needs binning for a year now, we can't have players traveling the globe ffs. Yeah it's big money and obviously it's something that's given my team a massive leg up but that's what's causing these issues now, hell do a special knock out tournament one empty summer once this is over to get the money back or something. 

Like I said all it takes is one footballer to be infected and it's off again, all this started to be taken seriously in the Prem once a manager caught it remember. 

Even games behind closed doors will contain 300 odd people, however many fixtures a match day and that's so many opportunities for something to develop. 

42 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Even games behind closed doors will contain 300 odd people, however many fixtures a match day and that's so many opportunities for something to develop. 

There lines the issue with behind closed doors. 

Still got to have players, officials, staff, ambulance, catering etc. 

I can see both sides for nulling/voiding the season and trying to complete it. As a villa fan, i only hope if it is null and void then so are promotions/relegation, yes we are in bottom three at the minute but a game in hand - how would that work if it is results as it stands?

2 hours ago, Jsavfc said:

As a villa fan, i only hope if it is null and void then so are promotions/relegation, yes we are in bottom three at the minute but a game in hand - how would that work if it is results as it stands?

It would be incredibly harsh to relegate any teams at this stage looking at the Premier League table. So far Belgium have finished, gone with a champion but no relegation and I’m not sure if they’re promoting or not. Holland have voided in all but name as the results still stand but with no champion (top two level on points), no relegation or promotion. France haven’t actually confirmed what they are going to do other than not play again so we’ll see what happens there. Scotland is just a mess with disputes ongoing but it seems like they want to end with relegations, champions, promotions, the lot but as I said it’s an absolute mess. They have a new big tv deal starting next year I believe so they seem to want to safeguard that.

None of those leagues have the massive tv deals though so you can see us for example trying, trying and trying again to finish the season but once loads of other league bin it off it adds pressure to do the same. As powerful as the premier league is I don’t think they have the power to stop the EFL promoting three teams to the premier league if they decide to. I might be wrong on that but there’s a few people who seem to know what they’re taking about over on a Liverpool forum constantly repeating that. People keep saying you can’t do this and you can’t do that but it seems as if nothing is off the table and different leagues will no doubt do different things based on their situation.

Regardless now though I think we’ve reached the stage here where they need to work out what they would do if we can’t play and announce it.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

It would be incredibly harsh to relegate any teams at this stage looking at the Premier League table. So far Belgium have finished, gone with a champion but no relegation and I’m not sure if they’re promoting or not. Holland have voided in all but name as the results still stand but with no champion (top two level on points), no relegation or promotion. France haven’t actually confirmed what they are going to do other than not play again so we’ll see what happens there. Scotland is just a mess with disputes ongoing but it seems like they want to end with relegations, champions, promotions, the lot but as I said it’s an absolute mess. They have a new big tv deal starting next year I believe so they seem to want to safeguard that.

None of those leagues have the massive tv deals though so you can see us for example trying, trying and trying again to finish the season but once loads of other league bin it off it adds pressure to do the same. As powerful as the premier league is I don’t think they have the power to stop the EFL promoting three teams to the premier league if they decide to. I might be wrong on that but there’s a few people who seem to know what they’re taking about over on a Liverpool forum constantly repeating that. People keep saying you can’t do this and you can’t do that but it seems as if nothing is off the table and different leagues will no doubt do different things based on their situation.

Regardless now though I think we’ve reached the stage here where they need to work out what they would do if we can’t play and announce it.

Im sure i read that the season can finish as it stands if 75% of games have been played. 

38 games - 75% = 29 games. 

So, teams that have played 29 can legitimately finish as they are, however, a few teams, like us, have only played 28. If we win that game in hand we are out the relegation zone. 

Some massive legal suits to come if the season is finished and table stands. 

I agree with you though Ian, as soon as the other big leagues - Spain/Italy come out and say what they are doing, it adds pressure on ours to make a decision one way or another. 

In my opinion;

• Give Liverpool the title - no other clubs fans would argue about that I would imagine. 
  • Call the season null/void/finished whatever
  • No relegations - game in hands, players back from injury etc can all make a difference. 
  • Bring the top two from Championship up - so promotions can continue throughout the leagues. 
  • Scrap the league cup for next season
  • Play a 22 team league for a season. 

On 29/04/2020 at 11:41, Jsavfc said:

Some massive legal suits to come if the season is finished and table stands. 

Could be the case however you go but I’m not sure it’s as cut and dry as that as I believe any club taking action would be suing the 20 premier league clubs including themselves. I’m not legally minded and might be totally off on this but it could be a case of suing to try and get the money you feel you deserve but with that money coming out of this years prize pot anyway so not actually getting any more. Again I might be off on that so don’t take it as gospel but it makes some sense if you think about it at least my head anyway.

It’s been mentioned regarding Liverpool and if we ended up without the title the more I think about it the more I think we wouldn’t take action as we’d probably still get the same money as if we were awarded the title anyway and I wouldn’t want us to tbh as the moment would have well and truly gone at that stage  anyway.

If a void is the best thing for whole league in general I can accept that, doesn’t alter the other stuff I said as it would sicken me of the game for a while anyway but I’d accept it. Thing is I actually don’t think it would be very good for the game and I’d say the same if Man Utd were 25 points clear. There’s a load of reasons why I believe that but I can’t be bothered to go into them now as I’ve done them to death in other places. 

Complete farce in the EFL once again, haven’t a clue what they’re doing but are letting clubs and owners like “big” Darragh MacAnthony give them the runaround. Trying to please everybody yet will end up pleasing nobody. Personally I couldn’t care less how they resolve the season as long as it gets done quickly which it hasn’t been. They need to grow a pair, make a decision for the whole competition whether that’s playing behind closed doors or abandoning with PPG and say that’s what’s happening whether you like it or not.

Just wondering: what’s folks’ views on the EPL returning soon? I’m looking forward to it, but one thing that has become obvious is how much of a world the footballing media creates. It’ll be weird stepping back in to it.

I'm excited, I've seen no football since our CL exit (which shouldn't have taken place) so I'm eager for it to return. I wanted to watch some of the German matches but they weren't convenient and I found I wasn't willing to go out my way for them 😂, working nights can suck 😂

Personally I'm selective with the media I consume around football (mostly podcasts) and I don't pay attention to much, like I love Klopp but I've never watched a press conference outside of highlights or reading a bit after, I just don't find the circus around it that gripping. Like the TV companies suggesting these new ideas to grip us like camera's in the changing rooms, in match interviews and the like have me rolling my eyes. Just let the lads kick a ball around ffs.....I guess that's similar to my FMM views lol. 

Typically with football I turn on at kick off, usually just as the formation graphics are kicking in, ignore the HT show and usually switch off at FT unless for whatever reason I want to hear Klopp's comments or what the panel has to say (big drama/derby type situation).  

These dinosaurs moaning it's not football without crowd noise have ruined lockdown for me 😛

I’m looking forward to it for one obvious reason and I’m not gonna lie. I tuned in to watch one of the first German games behind closed doors and I just couldn’t get into it but a lot of that is probably just my current situation as I’m frozen when it comes to the sport and will be until we win the league. It’s going to be a tough time for the game over the next few years I’m sure and we’ll need to try and find a way to keep as many clubs going as possible at all levels but right now my only real focus is on us as selfish as that may sound.