Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

I’m not entirely excited to resume the PL mainly due to us being 2nd in the league with a huge gap between us and 1st 🙄.

I did watch a few German matches and even though it’s not as good but I do enjoy it seeing some of the young talent and cheap guys I always buy playing there

What a helmet Raheem Sterling is.

There’s Steven Gerrard, your Frank Lampards, you have your Sol Campbells and you have your Ashley Coles.

All done their coaching badges, the two that haven’t been given the right opportunities are the two black former players.

Surely there can’t be any other (football related) reasons why Sol Campbell hasn’t been given an opportunity at a higher level?

BDCE3AC9-D184-43A3-9A65-16A25A7F2F0A.thumb.jpeg.5fa84c994b8d2304d8d5c724cba4b169.jpeg

Oh.

Has Ashley Cole even shown an interest in becoming a manager aside from completing his coaching badges? Jamie Carragher has done his yet I haven’t seen him linked with any managerial jobs. Conveniently didn’t make Raheem’s example though :(

He just ignored the fact Gerrard's first offer was from MK Dons in 2016 which he turned down as he didn't feel ready. He then went on to be our youth coach, then our under 18s coach and later under 19s. Granted all that happened in a shortish period of time but he didn't hang up his boots and rock up at Rangers. 

Lampard and Gerrard are two examples but what about Barton, Bowyer, Terry, Rooney? Or in the other direction Kompany and Vieira? 

Maybe Cole is trying to get his foot in the door but he's only been retired a year. Campbell tried and tbh flopped regardless of level. Where are Ledley King, David James, SWP and Heskey as high profile England internationals? Are they even interested? Did Ferdinand want to be a coach/manager or like Carragher is he happy in a stress free pundit role? 

Obviously we should have more diversity in management, I don't think you can disclaim that point but at the same time the best man for the job should get it. Look at Nuno at Wolves, he's of African birth and flying the flag and is easily the 4th or 5th best manager in the league. If he was willing to move you'd expect a top side like United or Arsenal would be tempted but why'd he move when he's got an ace little project there with bags of cash. 

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

@Ian Coutinho for £44m?? Any thoughts?

I’d happily take him tbh if we could get it done as it’s clear there ain’t going to be much business done this summer and at least with him we kind of know what we’re getting and he’d be useful I think.

How likely do you think it is to happen though as it seems to have been played down from what I can see?

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

I’d happily take him tbh if we could get it done as it’s clear there ain’t going to be much business done this summer and at least with him we kind of know what we’re getting and he’d be useful I think.

How likely do you think it is to happen though as it seems to have been played down from what I can see?

Yeah I'd take him I think, it's true we've moved on but he was quality for us. Imagine a Coutinho with a point to prove! A Coutinho after redemption! 

Admittedly he's a snake but so was VVD so I can't hold that against him, if he returned he'd be ours until we don't want him, a massive step up on Lallana and Shaqiri. 

But yeah I don't see it happening, but if he is that cheap and if they still owe us an instalment who knows, depends if Klopp wants him back really. 

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Yeah I'd take him I think, it's true we've moved on but he was quality for us. Imagine a Coutinho with a point to prove! A Coutinho after redemption! 

Admittedly he's a snake but so was VVD so I can't hold that against him, if he returned he'd be ours until we don't want him, a massive step up on Lallana and Shaqiri. 

But yeah I don't see it happening, but if he is that cheap and if they still owe us an instalment who knows, depends if Klopp wants him back really. 

I don’t hold much against Phil now as it seems like he was honest from early on that he wanted to leave and things just got out of hand as Barca probably tried to get him cheap and then we dug our heels in. Similar to what happened with VVD and we couldn’t do anything as we’d tapped him up and I think in the end Barca realised they needed to go big so we could go big on VVD and it was a mess but it’s in the past now for me. I’d welcome him and can’t say I like the idea of him going to another English side which sounds like it may well happen.

I’d heard that Newcastle were quite interested in Shaqiri if they get their takeover so if we get something for him plus I think there’s Lallana and Clyne who’ll be out of contract which will be up a few quid in wages so could be doable. I’ve got a feeling we’d need to sell more than that before we buy in the current climate but you never know.

18 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don’t hold much against Phil now as it seems like he was honest from early on that he wanted to leave and things just got out of hand as Barca probably tried to get him cheap and then we dug our heels in. Similar to what happened with VVD and we couldn’t do anything as we’d tapped him up and I think in the end Barca realised they needed to go big so we could go big on VVD and it was a mess but it’s in the past now for me. I’d welcome him and can’t say I like the idea of him going to another English side which sounds like it may well happen.

I’d heard that Newcastle were quite interested in Shaqiri if they get their takeover so if we get something for him plus I think there’s Lallana and Clyne who’ll be out of contract which will be up a few quid in wages so could be doable. I’ve got a feeling we’d need to sell more than that before we buy in the current climate but you never know.

We've a few we could move on, those you've mentioned and the likes of Wilson who I don't see making the grade and Lovren seems like he's off. 

We need a CB to replace Lovren and a left back 100%, maybe a central midfielder and still an adequate front three replacement. I love Origi but he's hardly took his chance and you'd say Minamino replaces Shaqiri. 

I'm not one crying over Werner though as while he seemed perfect he'd be a luxury signing so I'm not surprised we backed off, especially as Chelsea are paying him more than we play anyone but Salah iirc. We can't have rotational players on that kinda cash, and either way the club has my trust. 

13 minutes ago, Rob said:

Anyone know what the state of the transfer window is? When it opens etc? 

Good Question. Last I heard was the later one of August to October I think . But it’s gonna be interesting or could be a shitshow as try to get all the leagues to match timeframes but doubt that will happen . Wonder what FIFA will do as I’m sure leagues will all want different time periods that benefit them the most . 

16 minutes ago, DIRECTFX said:

Good Question. Last I heard was the later one of August to October I think . But it’s gonna be interesting or could be a shitshow as try to get all the leagues to match timeframes but doubt that will happen . Wonder what FIFA will do as I’m sure leagues will all want different time periods that benefit them the most . 

Interesting one. Does this mean Ziyech transfer date have to move to? I believe he should actually joins Chelsea on July 1st

Obviously this season hasn't resumed yet but looking further afield, how will this season go down in history?

Surely a big * has to be placed against everything that happens. 

*Champions

*Euro qualification

*Relegated

*FA Cup winners

*CL&UEFA winners

5 subs, matches played like pre season friendlies (apart from relegation battles and CL hopefuls)

CL one off matches in a neutral venue. 

Such a shame but as has been said numerous times, what alternative is there. The only people that will be truly happy are CL qualifiers and those at the bottom who escape relegation. Liverpool will rightly win the league but that * will always stick in the throat in my opinion, maybe not now but in the coming years. 

I've resubscribed to sky sports but I can't say I'm looking forward to it if I'm honest. The media have hyped the German football on return but the games I've seen have been a joke. No doubt the media will hype things here boxing box office style, the end product will speak for itself though. 

Watched a match and a half, the football's back and it feels fine to watch. Obviously however the talking point will be technology massively screwing a result. 

One question though but how many times has Ederson injured players? I dunno if it's just sticking in my mind but he clears players out constantly with no fear of repercussions. I feel convinced he's meant a couple have left on a stretcher anyway. Obviously it's apart of his role and he's expected to do it as the quality keeper he is but it feels a too common occurrence to me, but I might be wrong.  

6 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Watched a match and a half, the football's back and it feels fine to watch. Obviously however the talking point will be technology massively screwing a result. 

One question though but how many times has Ederson injured players? I dunno if it's just sticking in my mind but he clears players out constantly with no fear of repercussions. I feel convinced he's meant a couple have left on a stretcher anyway. Obviously it's apart of his role and he's expected to do it as the quality keeper he is but it feels a too common occurrence to me, but I might be wrong.  

Wasn’t it a Liverpool player that cleared him out last season?

1 minute ago, Foxy said:

Wasn’t it a Liverpool player that cleared him out last season?

Mane did a few years back yeah, I just feel like Ederson does it alot lol. 

53 minutes ago, Ashez said:

This might be the one I was thinking of 

Screenshot_2020-06-17-23-28-39.thumb.png.2b3131ef12d532c6e173418f048c9761.png

He’s so aggressive that he’ll attack our players and also our former players

21 hours ago, Ashez said:

Mane did a few years back yeah, I just feel like Ederson does it alot lol. 

If you go into collisions half arsed then you risk injuring yourself . No such thing as a friendly rugby game for that very reason. Go hard or go home. 

It’s good that the football is on practically every day but the problem is it’s pretty shite tbh. Sky and BT have got a job on their hands trying to sell the new season if it’s going to have to start behind closed doors. It was always sensible to finish this season as it’d give us all a chance to see what it’d be like without fans and I just don’t think it’ll work long term tbh.

It’s all about money though and we’ll see how many of the teams who weren’t up for finishing this season are also not keen on starting the next one. I’m guessing there won’t be many so my days of overly caring about other teams are over.

They've not kicked a ball for 3 months, give them a chance 😂. Football is always shit at the start of a new season and this is a much longer layoff with like 2 friendlies.  

3 hours ago, Rob said:

It’s been horrendous so far. City aside, the standard has been poor. 

Toon were good yesterday bud, not amazing but good.